Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Definitely overpaid, for the amount and games he played.
    But brought a public spotlight at the start of the season which drove ticket sales (no proof just opinion)
    Was spoken very highly from the camp.

But overall not worth it? I dunno.. It's hard to tell if he hasn't left how he did (the circumstances and charges which he was cleared of) I'd say we'd have a far more positive view of his time
    Even by your reference he is not cleared. I feel so sorry for mils. once the slur is provided, nothing can ever clear that slur. He, his wife, and family will have to live with that even though its proven as waffle for the rest of their lives. everybody just remembers the sensational headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

flouncer wrote: »
    Even by your reference he is not cleared. I feel so sorry for mils. once the slur is provided, nothing can ever clear that slur. He, his wife, and family will have to live with that even though its proven as waffle for the rest of their lives. everybody just remembers the sensational headlines.

It wasn't "proven as waffle" or as a "slur", the case was dropped before trial due to insufficient evidence.

That means he is presumed entirely innocent but it doesn't entitle anyone to make presumptions about the accusations or the person making them.

Getting into mod-angering territory there but it's an important distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Was he the worst overseas signing ever? In terms of value for money and hype vs delivery? Quite possibly. I know he was injured arriving but he was still woeful and got a huge wedge of cash.

Christian Cullen? He was class when he played for Munster, but was a crock when he signed and kept getting injured. What a player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Was he the worst overseas signing ever? In terms of value for money and hype vs delivery? Quite possibly. I know he was injured arriving but he was still woeful and got a huge wedge of cash.

I'd say Kane Douglas was right up there. Whilst Mils was poor on the pitch, his arrival led to our highest ever season ticket sales and general attendance at games. He was also clearly very well liked by all of the squad.

Douglas arrived on big money, put in a lot of very average performances, left and then started bad mouthing Ireland and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Great to see Matt Healy extending his contract. Been a brilliant player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Team v leinster

15 Tiernan O'Halloran
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Bundee Aki
    12 Craig Ronaldson
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Finlay Bealham
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Nathan White
    4 Aly Muldowney
    5 Andrew Browne
    6 John Muldoon (captain)
    7 Jake Heenan
    8 Eoghan Masterson

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 Ultan Dillane
    20 Sean O'Brien
    21 Ian Porter
    22 AJ MacGinty
    23 Rory Parata

Really hope heenan is 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

great to see Heenan back I remember his first couple of games and he was unreal, I hope he takes easy in first game back, McCartney back is a huge boost, think a BP is easily within our grasp a win would be special, Aki v Ringrose should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Jake Heenan!! Jake Heenan!!Jake Heenan!!Jake Heenan!!Jake Heenan!!Jake Heenan!!

Special mention to the mods, I require special authorisation to flood when it's about Jake Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenan!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

When is henshaw announcing his decision. I read he wanted to have it sorted by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stan27 wrote: »
    When is henshaw announcing his decision. I read he wanted to have it sorted by Christmas

Think that it's an IRFU decision about when the announcement happens. I remember reading something from Kearney the elder that his contract had been sorted for a month or two before it was announced. Will try to dig up the article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Forgive my ignorance but who exactly is Jake Heenan? I've heard the name and on reactions before and now I gather he's quite good but I've never actually seen him. What's his story?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but who exactly is Jake Heenan? I've heard the name and on reactions before and now I gather he's quite good but I've never actually seen him. What's his story?

Same here

He's just the best openside of all times:D
    More seriously, he came to Connacht from N-Z in 2013, all black U20, and was absolutely excellent immediately, and with regularity. Tackling and turnover machine. Then gets injured 3 times. Shoulder reconstruction. And finally back now, explaining our happiness.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

connachta wrote: »
    He's just the best openside of all times:D
    More seriously, he came to Connacht from N-Z in 2013, all black U20, and was absolutely excellent immediatly, and with regularity. Tackling and turnover machine. Then gets injured 3 times. Shoulder reconstruction. And finally back now, explaining our happiness.
    So SOB II?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Hopefully the shoulder will hold up for him. They need to shoot some stem cells in there or something. Great to see him back but I really hope this game isn't too much too soon fro him.

No, SOB 2.0 is another Connacht young talented guy (named Sean O'Brien, so there's a copyright here :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

He's excellent. Former NZ u20s captain, one of Lam's first signings IIRC. Hugely impressive on field so and quietly confident off it, he did an interview with the Indo where he said his goal was to be the best no.7 in the world.

Unfortunately each season so far has been heavily affected by injuries (shoulder mainly) so hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Mods, surely a 2 week ban minimum for ignorance?

Mods, surely a 2 week ban minimum for ignorance?

It's Christmas time, I'd let it go, for once:o:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Where is SOB II from? He needs a nickname like SOB I "The Tullow Tank".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

They say he's as big as four cats and has a retractable leg so he can leap up at you better and he lights up at night and he's got four ears, two are for listening and the other two are kind of back up ears and his claws are as big as cups and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps, Neil Francis was telling me he's got magnets on his tail, so if you're made of metal, he can attach itself to you and instead of a head, he's got four arses
    Where is SOB II from? He needs a nickname like SOB I "The Tullow Tank".

A Galway man

The Galway Battleship? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I'd put him in the same boat as Marmion, Henshaw and Aki as our very best players.....has the potential to be an international openside if he can stay injury free.

The big day dawns. History in the making me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The big day dawns. History in the making me thinks

Weather is awful here in Dublin. Could be a messy affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hitting the road soon. Hip flask filled and ready. Apparently going to the Bridge afterwards for the celebrations... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Zzippy wrote: »
    Apparently going to the Bridge afterwards for the celebrations... :D

Are you transferring East with Henshaw? ;)

Bloody woeful again.

Won't be holding in the top 6 on the basis of the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

On the plus side Scarlets lost.

10 points covers the top eight.

Every game is crucial, all will be the equivalent of derbies.
    It could be that the weather just doesn't suit us at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bloody woeful again.

Won't be holding in the top 6 on the basis of the last month.

Thought our gameplan in first 40 was spot on and executed brilliantly to be only 3 points down against that wind and Leinster pressure

Second half gotta tip the hat to Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

All hail the heenan,

McCartney excellent too, masterson a class act

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Thought our gameplan in first 40 was spot on and executed brilliantly to be only 3 points down against that wind and Leinster pressure

Second half gotta tip the hat to Leinster
    Tip the hat to Leinster or wonder about what we should have done? at halftime i was delighted but this incessant usage of backline no matter the conditions. brings you back to the harlequins win. it was ****e weather, but the end result was what counted. and the backline didnt see the ball.

as i said no alarm bells but i hope we learnt from this display. in truth i thought we already should have been smart enough to know such basics?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hitting the road soon. Hip flask filled and ready. Apparently going to the Bridge afterwards for the celebrations... :D
    Zzippy, passed by it on the way back into the city centre but was so utterly soaked I just said screw it. I did consider it though but it was not for very long. Sorry bout that. As with missing wprathead on the bus home, there will be other times!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I was very impressed by the Connacht front rows. Bealham looks to be a very good player indeed. I had the impression when he arrived at Ulster that he was a tighthead. Considering that they put it up to what was essentially a very possible Ireland tight 5, they were great.

Clancy is a poor excuse for a referee. To paraphrase Gilbert and Sullivan, with apologies to the great men, "He is the very model of a modern major homer." The very idea that he is an international standard ref is laughable.

Aki was also pretty great on the night. I think Connacht were very unfortunate to be left with nothing from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

jacothelad wrote: »
    I was very impressed by the Connacht front rows. Bealham looks to be a very good player indeed. I had the impression when he arrived at Ulster that he was a tighthead. Considering that they put it up to what was essentially a very possible Ireland tight 5, they were great.

Clancy is a poor excuse for a referee. To paraphrase Gilbert and Sullivan, with apologies to the great men, "He is the very model of a modern major homer." The very idea that he is an international standard ref is laughable.

Aki was also pretty great on the night. I think Connacht were very unfortunate to be left with nothing from the game.

Jaco, I like your analysis and your knowledge but I really don't like ref's being bashed. They all make mistakes, including the great Nigel who made (which he later admitted) a humungous howler in the match that never happened.

Clancy had a very tough job last night. So many knock ons and a lot of ruck-ball slowing in the worst conditions imaginable that he was bound to miss stuff. Line outs were often a shambles with the wind blowing so heavily and scrums going down because of the sodden ground. I thought he took the pragmatic view that keeping the game moving was far preferable than constantly resetting wobbly scrums on a skating rink. If the ball looked like coming out well he was letting it come and be damned if the scrum looked like a maypole dance in the process. Nigel does that as well and I applaud it because I really hate teams milking penalties with illegal scrummaging.

Fair enough if a scrum is dominant and moving forward, but too many times you see boring in when the ref's on the other side and the penalty goes to the illegal scrummager.

Sorry about the rant but I used to be that soldier and found that it's easier to just allow the ref make a decision without endless questioning afterwards, because it's pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

jacothelad wrote: »

Bealham has really progressed in the last 12 months. Seems to have supplanted Loughney at the moment as LH cover and he is no slouch. Between him and Conan coming up we have very good depth in the row

The match thread is a disaster on the ref front, prefer not to get into it. I share your sentiment on his performance and his quality as a referee but when you are nilled you cannot point the finger far away from yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Excellent news Dillane is in the extended squad http://the42.ie/2527144

connachta wrote: »

White, and who knows a big Dillane surprise, might be in the Irish camp

Gooood, I've predicted this on the 22nd of December on this thread:pac:

AhYou's face on the replay reduced my level of regret. Try might have been grounded, even if I highly doubt Clancy saw it, and still believe he asked a "homer" question.

But whatever, my point was I'm not looking down Connacht for being scoreless. conceeding 6 or even 13 points margin at the RDS against a very good Leinster team is correct and was expected.

Add Buckley (scrum and ruck), Henshaw (creativity) Roux (ball carriying and gainline advantage) and Poolman (high ball catches were a disaster yesterday), and we're right in it against an international side.
    Which prooves what any Connacht fans knows : with a full-team, we can threaten anyone, but the squad depth, very decent thinking about average age/experience, isn't good enough yet

Best news you can imagine, Embra beat Glasg once again. I really hope it will be helping in the end.

• Advertisement

Osp and Glasgow have both 7 games winnable, no more IMO (including they're gonna be impacted by 6 nations). We are 6 points ahead.
    So we still have our destiny in our own hand with 6 wins including one of then at home, in one of the double header against direct opponent

Which would mean

Zebre and Benetton away
    Scarlets home
    One of Dragons/Edinburgh away
    One of Munster/Leinster home
    One of Ospreys/Glasgow home

Very few rights to make mistakes, but it's possible. The last 2 games may be the hardest (Treviso and Glasgow), the squad needs to be fit and fresh in April.

More exciting academy players in Connacht graduating onto senior contracts. Peter Robb and Sean O'Brien get the promotion next season.

Masterson : 17 tackles 0 misses, 28 meters run, 1 defender beaten, no pen or turnover conceeded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

According to the IT, four Connacht members were involved in yesterday's Ireland session, White, Dillane, Marmion and Henshaw, disappointing for Muldowney, Matt Healy and Tiernan O'Halloran especially.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    According to the IT, four Connacht members were involved in yesterday's Ireland session, White, Dillane, Marmion and Henshaw, disappointing for Muldowney, Matt Healy and Tiernan O'Halloran especially.

Yeah but that's good news for Robbie, should be fit for Brive, and, who knows, Scarlets

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Matt or Tiernans style of play is not what Joe wants. Think they both may be regretting their contract extensions rather than following the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Matt or Tiernans style of play is not what Joe wants. Think they both may be regretting their contract extensions rather than following the money

To where?

To where?
    Are you seriously suggesting that Matt and Tiernans agents had no other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Unlikely they had options that were significantly greater than the deals they made with Connacht from a financial perspective. The marketplace isn't that lively.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Unlikely they had options that were significantly greater than the deals they made with Connacht from a financial perspective. The marketplace isn't that lively.
    Madigans move would suggest otherwise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement