Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

flouncer wrote: »
    Madigans move would suggest otherwise

I'm not going to get into it any further but Madigan is in an entirely different scenario to O'Halloran and Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

To where?

They're both more talented than many french wingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

While I know Denis is currently injured I am really gutted for him also. I simply am at a total loss with Joe's top 50. Yes the list is not published but most can have a decent guess. i am losing faith. If I were to suggest an open market in Ireland which team would turn down buckley, healy or o'halloran. and yet they don't compute with joe. i'm simply bewildered. I would suggest there is no point for any players with any aspirations playing with connacht anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

connachta wrote: »
    Osp and Glasgow have both 7 games winnable, no more IMO (including they're gonna be impacted by 6 nations). We are 6 points ahead.
    So we still have our destiny in our own hand with 6 wins including one of then at home, in one of the double header against direct opponent

Which would mean

Zebre and Benetton away
    Scarlets home
    One of Dragons/Edinburgh away
    One of Munster/Leinster home
    One of Ospreys/Glasgow home

Very few rights to make mistakes, but it's possible. The last 2 games may be the hardest (Treviso and Glasgow), the squad needs to be fit and fresh in April.

Here is my stab at predicting results...

not to sure about the 2 italian games.
    winnable games...
    Treviso
    Scarlets
    Edinburgh
    Ospreys 1BP
    Leinster 1BP

Loseable Games
    Glasgow 1BP
    Newport Gwent Dragons 1BP
    Zebre 1BP
    Munster 1BP
    Ulster

26pts=60pts total

typhoony wrote: »
    Here is my stab at predicting results...

not to sure about the 2 italian games.
    winnable games...
    Treviso
    Scarlets
    Edinburgh
    Ospreys 1BP
    Leinster 1BP

Loseable Games
    Glasgow 1BP
    Newport Gwent Dragons 1BP
    Zebre 1BP
    Munster 1BP
    Ulster

26pts=60pts total

going thru a huge batch of depression. who gives a crap. whats the point. all our improvements have scored zero. joe says we are ****e

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

going thru a huge batch of depression. who gives a crap. whats the point. all our improvements have scored zero. joe says we are ****e

You'd five players at the squad session yesterday, how many was it last year? One?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Stheno wrote: »
    You'd five players at the squad session yesterday, how many was it last year? One?
    New thread title: The bleating of the lams...

I'll get me coat :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

New thread title: The whining of the lams...

I'll get me coat :P

FYP

Four to be exact. And for years I have cringed at henshaws boringness. Then marmion is one day good and most other days rubbish (recent leinster game an example). And then nathan is hitting the end of his career. I do welcome the mention of dillane but he would be about 8th choice at centre. So explain how things are better. Please suggest that there is a better loose head than buckley in the country, please suggest that Rob Kearney is a more interesting player than tiernan o'halloran at fullback

Four to be exact. And for years I have cringed at henshaws boringness. Then marmion is one day good and most other days rubbish (recent leinster game an example). And then nathan is hitting the end of his career. I do welcome the mention of dillane but he would be about 8th choice at centre. So explain how things are better. Please suggest that there is a better loose head than buckley in the country, please suggest that Rob Kearney is a more interesting player than tiernan o'halloran at fullback

Buckley is injured. What is the point in bringing an injured player to a training camp?

Seriously. Is your glass always half empty? Even with all the rain in Connacht?

• Advertisement

Have either Buckly or O'Halloran ever played at any level other than Interpros?

White is old, with younger players competing against him.
    Henshaw is young, very young, and can be moulded to play a part in a national squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

FYP

Bit much to be considering flouncer representative of us all! Connacht supporters argue with him more than outsiders 😀

On topic Scarlets seem in a fairly similar place to Connacht at the moment with a fairly lengthy injury list at the moment and a couple of losses over Xmas before which they snuck out if Treviso with a two point win. Hopefully we can keep it very competitive this weekend and come back with a bonus point anyway.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Bit much to be considering flouncer representative of us all! Connacht supporters argue with him more than outsiders 😀

I was being facetious in fairness. After Leinster, I'm a big Connaught fan, watch them as much as I can, and really hope this is their year to be in the top since in the Interpros

My OH LOVES Connaugt!

Both have played Heineken Cup although I don't think that should be a necessity to being in the squad, Wales in particular have won plenty down the years with guys wig never played higher than Pro 12/Challenge Cup at club level.

I think Buckley would have been included had he been fit, he's been part of the training squad before and is playing better than ever this season. I'm a bit baffled at TO'Hs exclusion,he has been excellent this season. I guess Andrew Conway was there and Schmidt considers Kearney, Zebo and Conway sufficient for full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Don't entirely understand your question Stenho?
    If you mean have they played in Champions Cup
    Tiernan has 12 Starts and 1 sub appearance in Heineken Cup
    Buckley has about 9 appearances - can't get specifics cause he no longer in our European Squad

Both have played Heineken Cup although I don't think that should be a necessity to being in the squad, Wales in particular have won plenty down the years with guys wig never played higher than Pro 12/Challenge Cup at club level.

I think Buckley would have been included had he been fit, he's been part of the training squad before and is playing better than ever this season. I'm a bit baffled at TO'Hs exclusion,he has been excellent this season. I guess Andrew Conway was there and Schmidt considers Kearney, Zebo and Conway sufficient for full back.

I genuinely didn't know they had both played HC tbh, so apologies for that.

Buckley being out injured is a valid reason to exclude him.

Haven't seen much of TOH, but Joe has a fair list of players for fullback that he'd be competing against including those you mentioned.

Haven't seen much of TOH, but Joe has a fair list of players for fullback that he'd be competing against including those you mentioned.

True. I am only guessing about Conway being there but if he was it was essentially a shootout between him and TO'H, never gonna bring more than three and the first two were automatics.
    Would have given TO'H the nod personally but that's with green tinted glasses to be fair.

Bit much to be considering flouncer representative of us all! Connacht supporters argue with him more than outsiders
    I like that :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

connachta wrote: »
    Masterson : 17 tackles 0 misses, 28 meters run, 1 defender beaten, no pen or turnover conceeded

Yep but not good enough for Joe, why I don't see the exact type of player that should be in the Irish setup as we build to 2019

True. I am only guessing about Conway being there but if he was it was essentially a shootout between him and TO'H, never gonna bring more than three and the first two were automatics.
    Would have given TO'H the nod personally but that's with green tinted glasses to be fair.

Even with blue/yellow tinted glasses (Leinster) on, I wonder at more than 21 at least of that group being from Leinster.

I'd have thought there was room there for Scholes (Ulster) and Muldowney (the big Connaught bearded player?) myself.

But hey, whom am I to question. Certain Muldowney has impressed me anytime I've seen him, more so than any of the Connaught 10-15 players.

• Advertisement

gally74 wrote: »
    Yep but not good enough for Joe, why I don't see the exact type of player that should be in the Irish setup as we build to 2019
    Now I know my opinion is way out there. But I couldnt agree more. What do you want. The utterly boring Leinster/Munster play or the Connacht/Ulster interesting play. Joe has answered that question

Now I know my opinion is way out there. But I couldnt agree more. What do you want. The utterly boring Leinster/Munster play or the Connacht/Ulster interesting play. Joe has answered that question

And what interesting play have we seen from Connaught in their last two matches where they managed to score three points in 160 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Firstly Stheno, it's Connacht, not Connaught. ;)

Meh, I'm not too concerned at the lack of representation - we'll have them available during the 6N. I'd rather have Buckley fit again and playing for us than off playing for Ireland. He might be considered a bit small for test level anyway.

This team for the 6N period would be sweet:
    Buckley, McCartney, Rodney, Muldowney, Dillane, Muldoon, Heenan, Masterson, Marmion (I think Reddan will still get the nod from JS), McGinty, Healy, Ronaldson, Aki, Poolman, TOH.
    Bealham, Delahunt, Loughs, Browne, SOB, Blade, Carty, Parata to come on.

And what interesting play have we seen from Connaught in their last two matches where they managed to score three points in 160 mins?

Its funny you mention that. Its a really valid point. Its being wrecking my head. And then we come to Pat Lam. Obviously a great inclusion. We had two weekends (make that 3) where we lost games based on a daft game strategy.

Zzippy wrote: »

Meh, I'm not too concerned at the lack of representation - we'll have them available during the 6N. I'd rather have Buckley fit again and playing for us than off playing for Ireland. He might be considered a bit small for test level anyway.

Buckley, McCartney, Rodney, Muldowney, Dillane, Muldoon, Heenan, Masterson, Marmion (I think Reddan will still get the nod from JS), McGinty, Healy, Ronaldson, Aki, Poolman, TOH.

I just love that post :-)

I'm ****e at spelling Connacht (I' copied and pasted that :D)

I hope you get to the CC and will be avidly following :)

oops or were you naming the next irish team

yep i would go and watch that team. assume you mean for ireland?

now i am feeling awfully bitter so off with you robbie, play ur boring rugby with a boring leinster team. and get selected for a boring international team.

• Advertisement

now i am feeling awfully bitter so off with you robbie, play ur boring rugby with a boring leinster team. and get selected for a boring international team.

A team who perform better than Connaght?:pac: Why wouldn't he want to play on a better performing team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I can't actually believe any Connacht supporter would want Henshaw to leave, hes a class act and will only get better with time.

case885 wrote: »
    I can't actually believe any Connacht supporter would want Henshaw to leave, hes a class act and will only get better with time.
    there ya go. there is always one. i have consistently said over the years that henshaw is pants. similar with marmion. leinster are welcome to both. it will help maintain their utter drab playing style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Meh, I'm not going to get depressed about players not being called up for Ireland, for a couple of reasons. From a purely selfish point of view, it gives us close to our best available team during the international window and hopefully we can once again make hay and pick up a few nice wins, securing our place in the top half of the table.

Secondly, we ARE getting more and more representation in the squad, slowly but surely. These things take time, and once we've consistently showed that we can perform to as high a standard as the other provinces, more of our players will be called up.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Meh, I'm not going to get depressed about players not being called up for Ireland, for a couple of reasons. From a purely selfish point of view, it gives us close to our best available team during the international window and hopefully we can once again make hay and pick up a few nice wins, securing our place in the top half of the table.

Secondly, we ARE getting more and more representation in the squad, slowly but surely. These things take time, and once we've consistently showed that we can perform to as high a standard as the other provinces, more of our players will be called up.
    hear you bazzo. still utterly gutted for the lads. just a pity that connacht are always perceived as the other province. its very hard when the head coach of the national squad confirms this perception. So no matter what we do we get our arse kicked. its a bit hard to take. hence my view

while i may be consistently wrong, i am passionate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I like TOH as a player, broke through at the same time as Gilroy, Zebo, DK and I rated him as the most talented at the time.

However he went off the boil for a few seasons due to injuries and loss of form. It's great that he's back showing his ability this season but before the WC he wasn't even in the reckoning, he's not going to force his way in on the back of half a season when a lot of opposition teams were severely weakened and without playing HEC against top quality opposition. If he continues to impress he'll get an opportunity.

People's perceptions of RK are rubbish though, he's a quality test level FB who's been an integral part of two 6N titles. You don't ditch him just because people are bored of watching him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

flouncer wrote:

Passion doesn't excuse some of the bull you've written

shuffol wrote: »
    I like TOH as a player, broke through at the same time as Gilroy, Zebo, DK and I rated him as the most talented at the time.

However he went off the boil for a few seasons due to injuries and loss of form. It's great that he's back showing his ability this season but before the WC he wasn't even in the reckoning, he's not going to force his way in on the back of half a season when a lot of opposition teams were severely weakened and without playing HEC against top quality opposition. If he continues to impress he'll get an opportunity.

People's perceptions of RK are rubbish though, he's a quality test level FB who's been an integral part of two 6N titles. You don't ditch him just because people are bored of watching him.

Just a slight critique: He hasn't just been back and performing for half a season, I believe it was 1/4 or 1/2 way through the 2013/2014 season that he returned and has been playing very well since, meaning he's been a consistent performer for Connacht for about 2 seasons now. He really hasn't missed many matches through injury since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just a slight critique: He hasn't just been back and performing for half a season, I believe it was 1/4 or 1/2 way through the 2013/2014 season that he returned and has been playing very well since, meaning he's been a consistent performer for Connacht for about 2 seasons now. He really hasn't missed many matches through injury since then.

Fair enough but he wasn't really on the radar of the Irish side and it's only really this season where he's made a permanent transition to FB where people are calling for his inclusion.

If he keeps impressing he'll eventually get a call up to Leinster and that should put him in the shop window for Ireland:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A team who perform better than Connaght?:pac: Why wouldn't he want to play on a better performing team?

Connacht posters don't go into the Leinster thread and wind up Leinster fans that Toulon are better than them. Please don't do likewise here.

• Advertisement

come back as flounced please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

whatever about our individual views of (f)ouncers opinions, this forum is a much better place with him and his sometimes oblique views...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Flouncer closed account? :(

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Flouncer closed account? :(

flounced? ;)

Wait for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Yes! 3 more players back and no new injuries afaik
    linley mackenzie ‏@linleymackenzie 6m6 minutes ago
    Better news on injury front for Connacht, Peter Robb, Danie Poolman, and James Connolly all fit and available for crucial game with Scarlets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

And it's getting better
    inley mackenzie ‏@linleymackenzie 3m3 minutes ago
    Connacht's Denis Buckley hoping for return at best against Enisei, Henshaw hoping X-ray Tuesday "will be good to go" - Pat Lam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

GREAAAAAAAT just miss Roux and we're all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

No point bringing Buckley back for the Enisei game, it'll be a bonus point win no matter who plays in that.

So, what can we expect to face Scarlets then? Something like below I'd imagine:

1. Bealham
    2. McCartney
    3. White
    4. Browne
    5. Muldowney
    6. Muldoon (c)
    7. Heenan
    8. Masterson
    9. Marmion
    10. Carty/Ronaldson
    11. Healy
    12. Ronaldson/Henshaw/Aki
    13. Aki/Henshaw
    14. Poolman
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan/Delahunt
    17. Loughney
    18. Ah You
    19. Dillane
    20. O'Brien/Connolly/McKeon(is he fit yet?)
    21. Porter
    22. Carty/MacGinty
    23. Parata/Adeolokun/Henshaw(If he's fit and Pat doesn't want to start him for whatever reason)

Standard enough really but honestly I reckon it's a good enough team to give Scarlets a run for their money, away or not. Personally if Henshaw is good to go I'm not sure whether I'd rather him at 12 and Aki at 13 or vice versa. They are both very effective in either position. Maybe slightly prefer Aki at 13 so he can use that space to break the line like he so often tends to do. I'd have Ronaldson at 10 ahead of centre any day of the week but we know that Pat likes himself and Aki in the centre together so we may even see Robbie at fullback again.

EDIT: Just to add by "standard" I don't mean that it's an average team, just that I don't expect any curveballs in the selection. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

No point bringing Buckley back for the Enisei game, it'll be a bonus point win no matter who plays in that.

The last twenty minutes would be just grand for him.
    But they did say Enisei at best

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement