Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'd have Ronaldson at 10 ahead of centre any day of the week but we know that Pat likes himself and Aki in the centre together so we may even see Robbie at fullback again.

I personally reckon that if Poolman had been fit for the Munster game we wouldn't have seen Robbie at full back. If everyone is fit and available I think this would be our preferred backline

Marmion
    Carty*
    Healy
    Aki
    Henshaw
    Poolman
    TOH

*Personally I'd have Ronaldson ahead of Carty but I feel like Pat prefers Carty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    I personally reckon that if Poolman had been fit for the Munster game we wouldn't have seen Robbie at full back. If everyone is fit and available I think this would be our preferred backline

Marmion
    Carty*
    Healy
    Aki
    Henshaw
    Poolman
    TOH

The thought of having just Carty on the pitch to take kicks at goal makes me a bit nervous. I'm sure he's working on it all the time but I'm not confident in his percentages just yet...

Ronaldson had a bit of a howler the last day but overall we know he usually comes good.

The thought of having just Carty on the pitch to take kicks at goal makes me a bit nervous. I'm sure he's working on it all the time but I'm not confident in his percentages just yet...

Ronaldson had a bit of a howler the last day but overall we know he usually comes good.

I actually think he's come on really well with his kicking, he had really good stats against Newcastle in the home game, was it like 7 from 8, and they weren't all gimmes either.

I think a while ago his kicking was really awful and others, such as Leader, Porter and Ronaldson, were given the kicking duties. I think that has coloured a lot of peoples perception of his place kicking because to me it has really been a lot better this year. All kickers can go through a bad patch, I think it was in his first season that Ronaldson had a seriously bad run of place kicking.

Having said that I'd still have Ronaldson over Carty

I actually think he's come on really well with his kicking, he had really good stats against Newcastle in the home game, was it like 7 from 8, and they weren't all gimmes either.

I think a while ago his kicking was really awful and others, such as Leader, Porter and Ronaldson, were given the kicking duties. I think that has coloured a lot of peoples perception of his place kicking because to me it has really been a lot better this year. All kickers can go through a bad patch, I think it was in his first season that Ronaldson had a seriously bad run of place kicking.

Having said that I'd still have Ronaldson over Carty

He's always been capable of kicking well though, I think it's more a mental thing. You see him kick some beauts and have the odd perfect game but mostly his kicking isn't great. He has barely been kicking all season has he? Ronaldson seems to have taken over duties for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Re Linley McKenzie's injury update on Henshaw.....was the X ray today or next Tuesday? Would be brilliant to have him back for the Scarlets.

Would also make for an interesting selection as it would be the first time this season our first choice backline would all be available....personally I'd like to see Ronaldson taking over from Carty at 10 with Aki and Henshaw in the middle and Healy/Poolman/TOH in the back three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

S12b wrote:
    Would also make for an interesting selection as it would be the first time this season our first choice backline would all be available....personally I'd like to see Ronaldson taking over from Carty at 10 with Aki and Henshaw in the middle and Healy/Poolman/TOH in the back three.

That's our strongest back line in my eyes. Whether lam is willing to move ronaldson from 12 is another.

If it does happen it would be very interesting to see who is 13. Bundee has be superb there this season but previously it's been aki 12 henshaw 13

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Marmion
    Carty*
    Healy
    Aki
    Henshaw
    Poolman
    TOH

TBH I was very very disappointed about Healy against Ulster and Leinster, under high balls for ex. I'd give him of game off if Henshaw is back. which means :

Marmion
    Carty
    TOH
    Ronalson
    Aki
    Poolman
    Henshaw

freyners wrote: »
    That's our strongest back line in my eyes. Whether lam is willing to move ronaldson from 12 is another.

If it does happen it would be very interesting to see who is 13. Bundee has be superb there this season but previously it's been aki 12 henshaw 13

I don't believe Lam has had the option yet this season so although he clearly does rate Ronaldson at 12 I think people might be over-egging this. We didn't have Poolman against Munster so it made sense to put TOH at 14 and Henshaw at 15. It's a different matter with everyone fit!!
    connachta wrote: »
    TBH I was very very disappointed about Healy against Ulster and Leinster, under high balls for ex. I'd give him of game off if Henshaw is back. which means :

Marmion
    Carty
    TOH
    Ronalson
    Aki
    Poolman
    Henshaw

Nonsense ;);)

http://gfycat.com/SlowKnobbyHeifer

I don't think I'd be resting Healy tbh. He's far and away our best option on that left wing, on his day he'll take strips out of anyone. If he needs rest there'll be time soon enough against Brive and Enisei

• Advertisement

S12b wrote: »
    I don't believe Lam has had the option yet this season so although he clearly does rate Ronaldson at 12 I think people might be over-egging this. We didn't have Poolman against Munster so it made sense to put TOH at 14 and Henshaw at 15. It's a different matter with everyone fit!!

Nonsense ;);)

link doesn't work

Nonsense ;);)

That's very true. I'm basing it more off last year than anything else. Wait and see and hope

Also best gif name ever

Just thinking with Robb back for this weekend might be interesting tho see himself and Bundee as the centre pairing for the weekend, so maybe a team something like this

Bealham
    McCartney
    White
    Dillane
    Muldowney
    Muldoon
    Heenan
    Masterson
    Marmion
    Ronaldson
    Healy
    Robb
    Aki
    Poolman
    TOH

Heffernan
    Loughney
    Ah You
    Browne
    Connolly
    Porter
    Carty
    Parata (toss up between him and Niyi but Parata gives slightly more positional cover)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Having Poolman back is a great boost. DTH is lethal, one of the best wingers in the league imo and Poolman is our best shot at keeping him in check.

• Advertisement

Just a year? Odd. Might be looking at a retirement tour abroad in the near future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just a year? Odd. Might be looking at a retirement tour abroad in the near future?

Think the policy is only to offer one year deals to players getting into their mid 30s, especially players in attritional positions. Nick Williams is off to Cardiff as they offered him a 3 year deal while Ulster could only offer him a year.

Good news. Greatest club player in Connacht's provincial history for my money.

Browsing a Scarlets forum earlier, they seem to have an injury crisis in the back row (bit of a relief to see it's not just Connacht this happens to!) hopefully Muldoon, Heenan & Masterson can celebrate the new deal by taking advantage.

Niyi, Ultan and Finlay are up for player of the month at the moment. Nice to see 3 new people on the list. Personally would back Finlay, think he had an excellent few games

• Advertisement

Incredible recovery. 12 weeks expected out and it's looking to be more like 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

freyners wrote: »
    Niyi, Ultan and Finlay are up for player of the month at the moment. Nice to see 3 new people on the list. Personally would back Finlay, think he had an excellent few games

Ye Props, always sticking together :pac:

Hopefully he can get some good minutes under his belt against the Russians, either starting or 30 off the bench and he'll be good to go for Scarlets at home then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Muldowney moves to the bench and Dillane takes his spot in the second row
    Same 23 as played Leinster away
    Surprised no Poolman involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Am a little surprised to see tickets for the Enisei match priced at a higher level than the Scarlets match; I assume that's down to a blanket price for European games over those in the domestic league? The Enisei match is hardly likely to attract as big a crowd?

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Bundee Aki
    12 Craig Ronaldson
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Finlay Bealham
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Nathan White
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Andrew Browne
    6 John Muldoon (captain)
    7 Jake Heenan
    8 Eoghan Masterson

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 Aly Muldowney
    20 Sean O’Brien
    21 Ian Porter
    22 AJ MacGinty
    23 Rory Parata

Unavailable / Injured: Denis Buckley, JP Cooney, Ben Marshall, Quinn Roux, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoin McKeon, John Cooney, Dave McSharry, Robbie Henshaw, Conor Finn, Darragh Leader.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-team-to-face-scarlets-5/#ConnachtNews

Pity Poolman and Henshaw aren't involved. It must be this Tuesday Henshaw is going for the x-ray, and they might not want to drop Poolman straight back into it. DTH will be a menace on that wing.

Dropping Muldowney to the bench ahead of Browne also seems a strange one. Has he played many games in a row?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Muldowney moves to the bench and Dillane takes his spot in the second row
    Same 23 as played Leinster away
    Surprised no Poolman involved

Same here when I saw Niyi starting I assumed Poolman would be on the bench. I suppose it's good to see Pat keeping faith in Niyi though as he's put in a few good performances lately

Squad picking itself at the moment except for Poolman?:confused:

What sort of team have Scarlets out??

Squad picking itself at the moment except for Poolman?:confused:

What sort of team have Scarlets out??

15 Michael Collins, 14 Steff Evans, 13 Regan King, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Aled Thomas, 9 Aled Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Tom Price, 5 Lewis Rawlins, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 John Barclay, 8 Morgan Allen

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Phil John, Rhodri Jones, Maselino Paulino, Rory Pitman, Rhodri Williams, Steve Shingler, Steff Hughes

Unavailable for selection: Will Boyde (foot), James Davies (foot), Peter Edwards (elbow), Liam Williams (foot), Scott Williams (knee), Tom Williams (shoulder), Tom Phillips (concussion), Michael Tagicakibau (hamstring), Jake Ball (knee), George Earle (calf), Harry Robinson (hamstring), Gareth Owen (shoulder), Emyr Phillips (knee), Jack Condy (shoulder)

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/games/fixtures/11017.php

That's a fairly extensive injury list. I don't know enough about their team to be commenting too much tbh but I reckon we could take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

DTH scares the living s*** out of me anytime I see him in the lineup against Connacht. No offence to Niyi either but he needs another big defensive performance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ionapaul wrote: »
    Am a little surprised to see tickets for the Enisei match priced at a higher level than the Scarlets match; I assume that's down to a blanket price for European games over those in the domestic league? The Enisei match is hardly likely to attract as big a crowd?

It does seem strange but that's how most of the provinces work it where the interpros and European games are priced higher than the Pro12 ones.

Dropping Muldowney to the bench ahead of Browne also seems a strange one. Has he played many games in a row?

Hell yes, was dropped just once until he came back in October. Needed rest. Dillane is a beast, Browne a lineout catcher, Muldowney a perfect impact player Shingler/Barclay Vs Masterson/Heenan/Muldoon, will be a hard-fought battle at the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

That beautiful feeling when you realise that the games on a Sunday AND on TV. Ain't nothing going to burst this bubble of happiness right now!

Just having a little look at the current injury list - Denis Buckley, JP Cooney, Ben Marshall, Quinn Roux, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoin McKeon, John Cooney, Dave McSharry, Robbie Henshaw, Conor Finn, Darragh Leader.

First off, it's down to 11 from about 22.

Of those 11, I'd say 8 are current first squad players (leaving out JP Cooney, Finn and McSharry (more injury problems than quality)).

Then of those 8, we could have as many as 5 of them back for the crucial 6 Nations window....only Marshall, Roux and Nepia are long term. It's finally clearing!! :)

Very harsh on McSharry quality, optimistic about Marshall one

Very harsh on McSharry quality, optimistic about Marshall one

Read my post again....on both players.

I clearly differentiate between McSharry and Cooney/Finn in terms of quality but because of his injury profile and his very serious concussion problems it would be unwise to rely on his availability.

I also state Marshall is a long term injury.

Marshall and Roux were both listed as around 3 months out at the beginning of December so they could become available at some stage during the 6N.

Speaking of the injured players here are a few promising photos from training this week to show that they are at least somewhat back training

Ben Marshall, Robbied Henshaw and JP Cooney
    INPHO_01004470.jpg

Eoin McKeon, Robbie Henshaw, Darragh Leader and John Cooney
    INPHO_01004472.jpg

Denis Buckley
    INPHO_01004501.jpg

Conor Finn
    INPHO_01004505.jpg

I clearly differentiate between McSharry and Cooney/Finn in terms of quality but because of his injury profile and his very serious concussion problems it would be unwise to rely on his availability.

McSharry (more injury problems than quality
    I read this. About Marshall it's not the injury lenght. It's just he will have to proove a lot to surpass Muldowney Dillane Roux and Browne. IMO He's nowhere near the 1st squad just based on few bench apparences for Leinster and one average one for Ireland A

I quite like the look of Marshall from the small amount I've seen. Would be a valuable option for the last couple of months anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's not really that clear, I read it the same as connachta. You included the 3 in the same brackets and the qualification about being injured more than available in the same clause. It's a bit harsh on Cooney too, I think he was decent last season when he played.

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's not really that clear, I read it the same as connachta. You included the 3 in the same brackets and the qualification about being injured more than available in the same clause. It's a bit harsh on Cooney too, I think he was decent last season when he played.

Ok we won't get technical but that's what the double brackets were for....McSharry is clearly a quality player but I'd question whether we'll see him play for us again so I left him out.

Re JP Cooney, he did a decent job for us off the bench at the start of this season but that was while White was at the World Cup and Loughney was injured. At present, he's probably at best 4th choice loosehead behind Buckley, Bealham and Loughney and arguably he's behind Conan O'Donnell also. A useful guy to have if an injury crisis hit but I'd stick by my original point....not a first choice squad player.

Same probably goes for Conor Finn. His long lay-off coupled with the emergence of Robb and Parata as well as the re-signing of Griffin means his future is by no means guaranteed. Very unfortunate too as I believe he was offered a senior contract days before his debut v Munster last season. He did the cruciate in that game, the contract was withdrawn and now he's had to watch all these academy centres get their chance. A little more luck and he could be where Parata is at the moment....who knows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Has it been decided that Conan O'Donnell is now a loose head instead of tight head.
    With White getting on in years and the depth at loosehead I thought he would have been better served at tighthead.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Has it been decided that Conan O'Donnell is now a loose head instead of tight head.
    With White getting on in years and the depth at loosehead I thought he would have been better served at tighthead.

No, too light IMO. On the contrary, Bealham (122 kg) should be back to TH.

which means for European Cup next season (classified by age)

LH

Loughney (33)
    Buckley (26)
    O'Donnell (20)

TH

White (35)
    AhYou or Moore (26)
    Bealham (25)

Cover for both sides : JP Cooney (26)

Well balenced...

The West's Awake is on now on TG4

Great news of the day

1) Buckley back for scarlets home
    2) Mitrea referee away
    3) one of our main rival for top 6, Ospreys have just lost at home vs Leinster without even a BP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The West's Awake is on now on TG4

It's up on the player now in all, it's under documentaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Great news of the day

1) Buckley back for scarlets home
    2) Mitrea referee away
    3) one of our main rival for top 6, Ospreys have just lost at home vs Leinster without even a BP

Connacht need to stop leaking tries. It's not horrendous, but 22 tries conceded in 11 games is far too many. The league may well come down to points difference and Connacht will need to have a few more points in hand at the end. It's also leading to giving away LBPs (five out of the seven wins this season).

Connacht need to stop leaking tries. It's not horrendous, but 22 tries conceded in 11 games is far too many. The league may well come down to points difference and Connacht will need to have a few more points in hand at the end. It's also leading to giving away LBPs (five out of the seven wins this season).

Nonsense. We just need to score EVEN MORE tries :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Nonsense. We just need to score EVEN MORE tries :D

I wouldn't argue with that ;)

Just widen the gap, by whatever means necessary. It could be worse, Munster have a -17 points difference. :eek:

We have + 24 on Glasgow + 34 on Ospreys our 2 main rivals

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement