Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Full squad update http://www.connachtrugby.ie/squad-update-ahead-of-brive-game/#ConnachtNews

Post Scarlets game

Andrew Browne
    Following an X-ray on Monday, it was confirmed that second row Andrew Browne suffered an A/C fracture in the opening half of Sunday’s game. The Galway man is facing 4 to 6 weeks on the sidelines.

Kieran Marmion
    Scrum half Kieran Marmion suffered a hip flexor during the weekend’s PRO12 clash in Wales. The 23-year-old will be monitored this week ahead of the team announcement.

Craig Ronaldson
    Versatile back Craig Ronaldson will also be closely monitored this week, having taken a knock to his right shoulder.

Returning

Denis Buckley
    Loosehead prop Denis Buckley has been cleared fit and available for selection this week following a positive review with the surgeon who performed his knee operation in December. The Roscommon man has been re-registered to the European squad list, in place of Saba Meunargia from the Academy.

Eoin McKeon
    Number 8 Eoin McKeon is also available for selection this week, having returned from the elbow injury sustained in early December.

Darragh Leader
    Galway man Darragh Leader has re-joined training this week and is expected to be available for selection in the coming weeks.

Others

Robbie Henshaw
    Last week’s CT scan showed that Robbie Henshaw’s hand fracture was not fully healed. The surgeon has advised another 1-2 weeks before the Ireland international returns to match action.

Nepia Fox-Matamua
    Openside flanker Nepia Fox-Matamua’s surgery last week on his ruptured ACL was successful and the New Zealander is expected to be fit for pre-season 2016/17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not so much good news besides Buckley...

Hopefully Craig and Kieran are just minor knocks and they'll be back for the 6 nations window.

Be nice if Robbie got some game time ahead of the 6 nations for his own sake.
    d-gal wrote: »
    According to an IRFU committee member that I know - they wanted him to originally go to Leinster. Now they're 50/50 on Leinster or Munster (due to the Madigan saga of refusing Munster).
    Their last choice of the 3 is Connacht. Shock horror

I wouldn't be all that surprised if that was the case, although it doesn't fit at all with the narrative most of the posters on here having being painting, the general opinion seems to be that it's 100% Robbie's choice where he wants to go. Then again, nobody has ever given any source for that.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not so much good news besides Buckley...

Hopefully Craig and Kieran are just minor knocks and they'll be back for the 6 nations window.

Be nice if Robbie got some game time ahead of the 6 nations for his own sake.

At worst I reckon he'll be back for the Scarlets game, hopefully we'll see him next week for Enisei.

Was just thinking that it'll be nice for all the lads who had to go to Russia to get some sun in France and then I checked the weather, they're predicting snow showers for Saturday :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I wouldn't be all that surprised if that was the case, although it doesn't fit at all with the narrative most of the posters on here having being painting, the general opinion seems to be that it's 100% Robbie's choice where he wants to go. Then again, nobody has ever given any source for that.

It's not just our narrative

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/irish-news/nucifora-if-we-keep-doing-what-weve-always-done-well-keep-losing-quarterfinals-34309760.html
    As for Robbie Henshaw, Nucifora says that the decision on whether he stays at Connacht or moves to Leinster is up to the player himself. The performance director has begun negotiations with the Connacht star's representatives. While the prevailing winds seem to point to a move east, it is understood that the union's preference is for the home-grown star to remain in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It's Henshaws choice and there is a 0% chance he will be in limerick for anything other than an away game next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

ClanofLams wrote:
    It's Henshaws choice and there is a 0% chance he will be in limerick for anything other than an away game next season.

Playing for Leinster :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

case885 wrote: »
    Playing for Leinster :P

This is the Connacht thread. How long a ban would you like? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

It is Henshaws choice at the end of it all but they do have an influence. Nucifora is hardly gonna say in an interview that they're gonna try and force/influence him to go to another province. We all know there would be uproar, especially from Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

That it is Henshaw's decision is the only rational conclusion.

The IRFU are desperately trying to hold onto their key players; there is simply no way they would risk pissing off one of their first-choice internationals by forcing him to go (or by forcing him to stay).

The IRFU are desperately trying to hold onto their key players; there is simply no way they would risk pissing off one of their first-choice internationals by forcing him to go (or by forcing him to stay).

No one has suggested otherwise, people are just saying that his decision can be influenced as can anyone's decision. If the IRFU decide that he would be best to stay at Connacht they can attempt to persuade him thus. It would be a shame to see our best 13 and best prospect at 13 at the same province - that's not best for Irish rugby. If I was Ringrose I wouldn't be too keen to see Henshaw come east...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

That would be rational,

but

erm....

our first choice for the bench might disagree.

*edit
    I accept this is a totally different situation.
    1) Madigan had to move for his and Ireland's benefit
    2) Henshaw moving doesn't make a lot of sense from his and/or Ireland's point of view. (Leinster doesn't for Ireland's case, Munster for Henshaw's, Ulster for anyones)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

you'd expect the announcement to come in the next few days, I hope he stays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Just watched it again, and Masterson did do a knock-on. Not obvious, but still more real on 2nd sight, than VDF grounding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

To be honest, the longer it drags on, the more hopeful I am that Henshaw will stay.

Last I heard, nothing has been signed and that we're still actively trying to keep him.

• Advertisement

I'm resigned to the fact he's going to Leinster. They just haven't announced it yet. I think they'll announce it during the 6N when he's away with the squad so less pressure on him.

I think he might sign on for two more years, which would be a huge boost.

The fellas over in the Ulster thread seem to think Ah You to Ulster is a done deal.

Shame to see him go if it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Leaves a nice hole for O'Donnell to step into though. I know he's been dabbling at loose-head but he has the makings of a formidable tight-head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It's been reported for some time now that it's him that is instigating the move to Leinster as that's the move he wants. The contract will be the same but he would prefer to play for Leinster and I can't say I blame him as he can wins things there and is more likely to play as a centre whereas he'll play at fullback for connacht (his best position IMO).
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    I think he might sign on for two more years, which would be a huge boost.
    He won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

The fellas over in the Ulster thread seem to think Ah You to Ulster is a done deal.

We might replace him with a prop who's actually fit and not 4 stone overweight and if we do he'll be no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

We might replace him with a prop who's actually fit and not 4 stone overweight and if we do he'll be no loss.

Nonsense....Rodney has been a very solid player for Connacht for the last 2 years....he would be a big loss to the squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

People are still confusing "pre-Saracens at home Rodney" with "Post-Saracens at home Rodney"
    That game was a serious turning point for him - he's gonna be a big loss

If I'm not mistaken that's Denis Buckley in this pic boarding a flight to France which is great news

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/687927317579038721

depends on who replaces him (please a NIQ, not just 20 y-o O'Donnell, as good as he could be in the future)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

As mentioned by a few above, you obviously dont see rodney regularly, certainly over the last 2 seasons at least, if thats what you think

wp_rathead wrote: »
    People are still confusing "pre-Saracens at home Rodney" with "Post-Saracens at home Rodney"
    That game was a serious turning point for him - he's gonna be a big loss
    that was the game that rehabbed his image no doubt but the game before that vs Treviso was just as impressive, started at LH, forced a sub with 20 mins, had the sub under pressure, switched to TH when White and Bealham got knocks and proceeds to demolish their starting and sub LH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

freyners wrote:
    that was the game that rehabbed his image no doubt but the game before that vs Treviso was just as impressive, started at LH, forced a sub with 20 mins, had the sub under pressure, switched to TH when White and Bealham got knocks and proceeds to demolish their starting and sub LH

The only thing Ah you demolishes is a supermacs meal :D
    This would be an unusual move if it does happen.

b.gud wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken that's Denis Buckley in this pic boarding a flight to France which is great news

That's definitely Buckley. Great news.

EDIT: Just to add, I doubt there's much money in the budget for replacing Ah You. Our young squad are starting to get into their mid 20s now and their contracts will be getting more expensive as we go(no complaints, some serious talent). Tightheads are at a premium right now, especially in Ireland, and despite what a couple of posters here seem to think he's been very solid for us.

Bealham can play both sides of the scrum but I think we can all agree at this stage that his showing at loosehead have been far better. Loughney likewise. So that leaves White(34) and O'Donnell(20) as THs. Losing Ah You is DEFINITELY a blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

That's definitely Buckley. Great news.

EDIT: Just to add, I doubt there's much money in the budget for replacing Ah You. Our young squad are starting to get into their mid 20s now and their contracts will be getting more expensive as we go(no complaints, some serious talent). Tightheads are at a premium right now, especially in Ireland, and despite what a couple of posters here seem to think he's been very solid for us.

Bealham can play both sides of the scrum but I think we can all agree at this stage that his showing at loosehead have been far better. Loughney likewise. So that leaves White(34) and O'Donnell(20) as THs. Losing Ah You is DEFINITELY a blow.

Yeah well said there. Lam said the same last season. When asked what he was doing with Muliaina money, he said it was already gone on getting contract renewals for young players. I'd imagine it's the same planning with the Robbie money, regardless of whether he stays or goes due to central contract.

• Advertisement

So that leaves White(34) and O'Donnell(20) as THs. Losing Ah You is DEFINITELY a blow.

So budget or not, we desperately need a newcomer, at least a good project player, quite unexpensive, but still already confirmed as good. It's also the Ireland interest with Ross/White close to retirement and Moore abroad.

Team from EPCR site http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/32175.php

15 Tiernan O'Halloran
    14 Danie Poolman
    13 Rory Parata
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Ian Porter

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Jason Harris Wright
    3 Rodney Ah You
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 James Connolly
    8 John Muldoon (capt)

16 Tom McCartney
    17 Denis Buckley
    18 Finlay Bealham
    19 George Naoupu
    20 Eoghan Masterson
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Jack Carty
    23 Peter Robb

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

15 Tiernan O'Halloran
    14 Danie Poolman
    13 Rory Parata
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Ian Porter

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Jason Harris Wright
    3 Rodney Ah You
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 James Connolly
    8 John Muldoon (capt)

16 Tom McCartney
    17 Denis Buckley
    18 Finlay Bealham
    19 George Naoupu
    20 Eoghan Masterson
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Jack Carty
    23 Peter Robb
    Is Aly Muldowney ever going to get a break?

mogwai81 wrote: »

Unfortunately we don't have much of a choice due to the limited European squad changes and a couple of injuries in the row at the moment. Naoupu is wearing the 19 jersey so I suppose we could have started him and benched Aly but I'm sure Aly himself would prefer to be starting.

Nice to see Caolin Blade involved, hope he gets some meaningful time and goes well.

Not for a while now that Browne is injured

Not a lot of alternatives with Browne, Marshall and Roux out but expect he will get a rest for the Enisei game.

Rory at 13 is ideal.

Strong team

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Not a lot of alternatives with Browne, Marshall and Roux out but expect he will get a rest for the Enisei game.

Qualter and George could have played second row - but you're right I'd be shocked to see him lineout against Einsei tomorrow week

Qualter and George could have played second row - but you're right I'd be shocked to see him lineout against Einsei tomorrow week

I actually completely forgot about Danny Qualter :o

Has anybody seen any of himself or Romaine this year? I was kind of surprised that Cian just disappeared off the face of the earth this season after being fairly involved last season.

• Advertisement

Wow Smashing team. Can't wait to see this on French TV, good piece of advertising for Connacht new age!!!

15 Tiernan O'Halloran
    14 Danie Poolman
    13 Rory Parata
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Ian Porter

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Jason Harris Wright
    3 Rodney Ah You
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 James Connolly
    8 John Muldoon (capt)

16 Tom McCartney
    17 Denis Buckley
    18 Finlay Bealham
    19 George Naoupu
    20 Eoghan Masterson
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Jack Carty
    23 Peter Robb

I actually completely forgot about Danny Qualter :o

Has anybody seen any of himself or Romaine this year? I was kind of surprised that Cian just disappeared off the face of the earth this season after being fairly involved last season.

Yes, just on the bench with Eagles until now. Disappointing.

Buckley back, Bealham back to TH side, that's what I expect for the future, especially with AhYou leaving (if confirmed)

Anyone know if FR4 has a streaming player? And anyone know if that is a strong Brive team or are they doing a Leinster?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Anyone know if FR4 has a streaming player? And anyone know if that is a strong Brive team or are they doing a Leinster?

Not sure but I believe it's on beinSport too if that makes it easier to find

Not sure but I believe it's on beinSport too if that makes it easier to find

Think BeIN is a pay channel like Sky or BT...? I'd rather find a legit stream than go dodgy! ;);)

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Think BeIN is a pay channel like Sky or BT...? I'd rather find a legit stream than go dodgy! ;);)

This looks like it might be a stream but it's good blocked do will only be working for people in France http://m.france4.fr/direct

This looks like it might be a stream but it's good blocked do will only be working for people in France http://m.france4.fr/direct

Cheers. I might just happen to be in "France" tomorrow night so... ;)

Anyword on the Eagles side?
    Gonna pop along to it tomorrow at 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyword on the Eagles side?
    Gonna pop along to it tomorrow at 1
    Just released. Will also be going to the game.

15 Darragh Leader
    14 Fionn Carr
    13 Cormac Brennan
    12 Api Pewhairangi
    11 Ciarán Gaffney
    10 Shane O’Leary
    9 Conor Lowndes
    1 Conan O’Donnell
    2 Shane Delahunt (captain)
    3 Conor Kenny
    4 Cillian Gallagher
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Cian Romaine
    7 Rory Moloney
    8 Eoin McKeon
    REPLACEMENTS
    16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Jacob Walshe
    18 Marc Kelly
    19 Matthew Cosgrove
    20 Stephen Kerins
    21 Conor McKeon
    22 Ed O’Keeffe

Just released. Will also be going to the game.

15 Darragh Leader
    14 Fionn Carr
    13 Cormac Brennan
    12 Api Pewhairangi
    11 Ciarán Gaffney
    10 Shane O’Leary
    9 Conor Lowndes
    1 Conan O’Donnell
    2 Shane Delahunt (captain)
    3 Conor Kenny
    4 Cillian Gallagher
    5 Danny Qualter