Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah come on, we both saw Connacht fans saying almost the exact same things at the time on here. And in fairness my post only talks about the article. Not sure how you think I was aiming it at anything else.

You did start your post like this

"This needs to stop. Blaming the referee for "scandalous" decisions in games that Connacht were at fault for losing is just ridiculous. Never mind the complete inaccuracies in rugby law in the article."

In the Connacht thread does kinda feel like you're aiming it at people here. Not saying that you are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ah come on, we both saw Connacht fans saying almost the exact same things at the time on here. And in fairness my post only talks about the article. Not sure how you think I was aiming it at anything else.

The vast majority of connacht supporters on here said Connacht lost the Scarlets game due to their own errors. The Leinster game is three weeks ago and hasn't been discussed on here in a long time. I'm not sure what you want to 'stop' - journalists having opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

When you come into the Connacht thread and post like that it does seem like you're using an article from one journo to take a pop. Yeah there are a few on here who complained but if you're honest the vast majority were posting about how we threw away those games, so your post is unnecessary and a bit gratuitous. Like I said, write to the paper if you're that exercised about it.

"Local journo for local paper in biased article shocker!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There were genuine complaints last season but I've seen little to indicate there are any this season.

Other than the Cardiff away game I'm not sure there were any other real complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Other than the Cardiff away game I'm not sure there were any other real complaints.

Gloucester play off game had some legitimate complaints too but in any event those are past and no-one is complaining at the moment so I'm not sure why it's being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

The only thing "that needs to stop" is Leinster fans coming on to the Connacht thread and tarring us all with the same brush.

Yes there are a few posters here who tend to get hysterical and post ridiculously over the top reactions whenever we get a bad call but they're in the minority....the vast majority recognise that we failed to score against Leinster, a dodgy try was not the decisive factor. Equally, we f**ked ourselves against Scarlets and Brive.

And regarding that newspaper article, the Connacht Tribune is a local paper so of course it's going to write a stupidly biased article. Criticising the Connacht Tribune for writing an unbalanced article is like criticising The Sun for the poor quality of its articles!!

An unnecessary post suggesting we're all this deluded and convinced all refs are out to get us......we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

http://connachttribune.ie/connacht-are-getting-bum-deal-from-match-officials/

This needs to stop. Blaming the referee for "scandalous" decisions in games that Connacht were at fault for losing is just ridiculous. Never mind the complete inaccuracies in rugby law in the article.

Apparently Leinster held a "tenuous" 3-0 lead in a game where Connacht failed to score completely despite the fact that tenuous implies Leinster could have lost the lead.....to a team that couldn't score. Apparently Clancys fall prevented him seeing the grounding despite the fact that he never took his eyes off the ball even when falling. Apparently after asking if there was any reason to not allow the try and the TMO could see nothing that should mean a 5m scrum to Leinster despite the fact that no definitive reason not to award the try in that case means the try has to be given. Apparently the TMO should have bitten the bullet and told Clancy not to award the try despite the fact he had absolutely no legal basis to do so. Apparently it was a game changing moment, again despite the fact that Connacht couldn't score. Plus let's not forget that a 5m scrum to Leinster would have had them in prime position to score anyway, it's not like you can just wipe 7 points off the final result.

Then in the Scarlets game apparently they lost because of the decision not to award the Masterson try despite the fact that this happened very early on in the game and there was still plenty of time left to go out and win it (and despite the fact that there was no clear indication at all that Masterson actually had downward pressure on the ball, IMO he didn't. AND despite the fact that they were still winning with 2 to go and through their own actions threw it away.).

It's just embarrassing at this stage. There were genuine complaints last season but I've seen little to indicate there are any this season. I also notice there was no discussion about everything Connacht got away with in the Leinster game either, but then that doesn't fit the narrative. I really want to see Connacht do well, but this kind of thing hampers them rather than helps.

One mans opinion piece in local paper, sure they all think that. I'll make sure to come to the Leinster thread when Franno writes another article about Toulon's money and throw words like embarrassment around the place. Pretty much the same thing right?

Honestly your rant just sounds like something you've wanted to give off from a while ago and some lad from the local paper gave you some ammo.

If you want to have a scroll through the Leinster v Connacht thread again you'll note two posters of real note engaging in hyperbole of bias and all that conspiracy nonsense in cold light after the match. You'll also see the majority of Connacht supporters saying Clancy was wrong to award Van der Flier try but wasn't the reason we lost.

I'm pi**** off with the standard of reffing in the league never mind the standard of TMO and severe lack of TMO's at our home games. I don't think we've got the rub of the green of refs in the past few weeks, but I don't think it's directly responsible for the losses. Doesn't help but nothing you can do there except hope refs get their wrists slapped for bad calls whether for or against Connacht. I'd much rather a whine about Nigel Owens never taking our games.

I've never even heard of this guy in the Tribune. Unless Linley McKenzie, John Fallon, Murray Kinsella or Rob Murphy write a match report or anything real of note about Connacht I take little opinion of it because the simple fact half the journalists in the country haven't a bloody clue about Connacht. Show up when there is an interpro on and disappear until the next one. It's been well covered in Craggy Island podcast. We can't even get a token word on Off The Ball or Second Captains. It's all about Cullens Cubs, Munster passion, death of Irish rugby when 2 of 4 provinces are struggling. Tell me what hampers more local paper rant or coverage of only two teams in the national media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

its_phil wrote: »
    One mans opinion piece in local paper, sure they all think that. I'll make sure to come to the Leinster thread when Franno writes another article about Toulon's money and throw words like embarrassment around the place. Pretty much the same thing right?

Honestly your rant just sounds like something you've wanted to give off from a while ago and some lad from the local paper gave you some ammo.

If you want to have a scroll through the Leinster v Connacht thread again you'll note two posters of real note engaging in hyperbole of bias and all that conspiracy nonsense in cold light after the match. You'll also see the majority of Connacht supporters saying Clancy was wrong to award Van der Flier try but wasn't the reason we lost.

I'm pi**** off with the standard of reffing in the league never mind the standard of TMO and severe lack of TMO's at our home games. I don't think we've got the rub of the green of refs in the past few weeks, but I don't think it's directly responsible for the losses. Doesn't help but nothing you can do there except hope refs get their wrists slapped for bad calls whether for or against Connacht. I'd much rather a whine about Nigel Owens never taking our games.

I've never even heard of this guy in the Tribune. Unless Linley McKenzie, John Fallon, Murray Kinsella or Rob Murphy write a match report or anything real of note about Connacht I take little opinion of it because the simple fact half the journalists in the country haven't a bloody clue about Connacht. Show up when there is an interpro on and disappear until the next one. It's been well covered in Craggy Island podcast. We can't even get a token word on Off The Ball or Second Captains. It's all about Cullens Cubs, Munster passion, death of Irish rugby when 2 of 4 provinces are struggling. Tell me what hampers more local paper rant or coverage of only two teams in the national media.

As hard as this to say I find myself agreeing with you its_Phil. Yes there have been rubbish ref decisions but I did think we had risen above that. That said I have no problem being critical of a decision, however blaming the game on a ref is below us.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'm probably fecking up somewhere but:
    If we get TBP Win on Sat we'll be on 19 points
    Lets say for arguments sake Brive get a TBP Win in Newcastle and are on 20

Sale (on 18) play Dragons (on 20)
    A win, draw or 2 BPs for Sale will bring them 20+
    1 BP will get them level on 19 with Connacht

Montpellier (on 15) v Quins (on 25)
    A TBP Win for Montpellier will get them 20
    A win will get them level on 19 with Connacht

Grenoble (on 18) v Edinburgh (on 17)
    A win for either will bring them above 20
    A draw with both sides getting TBP will bring both to 21/20
    A draw / a LBP with a TBP will bring Grenoble to 20
    A LBP and TBP will bring Edinburgh to 19 level with Connacht
    A LBP or TBP will bring Grenoble to 19 level with Connacht

There could be a scenario where Connacht, Sale, Montpellier and Grenoble/Edinburgh are all on 19 points..

Sale beat Dragons 38-5 so they qualify as group winners, Dragons on 20 go through as one of best runners up. That leaves 2 runners up spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Guys I wasn't trying to tar Connacht fans with the same brush. If that's how it came across then I'm sorry. I know full well that plenty, on here in particular, don't subscribe to the kind of thing.

That said my entire post was about the article and I didn't mention Connacht fans at all. So I'm not completely sure how me calling Connacht fans "deluded" or suggesting "they all think like that" can be seen in the post. If I wanted to say that I would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

That is obviously targeted at Connacht people who don't watch rugby.
    Basically telling them that Connacht are playing better than results would lead you to believe>
    A bit of siege mentality might bring out a few more supporters, how bad.

The important thing is that Pat Lam has stopped his referee rants.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Sale beat Dragons 38-5 so they qualify as group winners, Dragons on 20 go through as one of best runners up. That leaves 2 runners up spots.

Run up a score against Enesei and we are qualified.
    Most of which will be half way achieved with a try BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Guys I wasn't trying to tar Connacht fans with the same brush. If that's how it came across then I'm sorry. I know full well that plenty, on here in particular, don't subscribe to the kind of thing.

That said my entire post was about the article and I didn't mention Connacht fans at all. So I'm not completely sure how me calling Connacht fans "deluded" or suggesting "they all think like that" can be seen in the post. If I wanted to say that I would have.

Strongest team we have had all year!

Connacht team to face Enisei-STM, Saturday, January 23rd, 3pm

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Danie Poolman
    13 Robbie Henshaw
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Dave Heffernan
    3 Nathan White
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 John Muldoon (captain)
    7 James Connolly
    8 Eoghan Masterson

Replacements:
    16 Tom McCartney
    17 Finlay Bealham
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 George Naoupu
    20 Sean O’Brien
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Jack Carty
    23 Rory Parata

Run up a big score and we have to qualify.

Great run out for the team before the Scarlets game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

No kicker :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Probably strongest side we could put out, would prefer Jack at 10 than AJ but really looking forward to this game regardless

John McIntyre is former Galway hurling manager - wouldn't really concern myself over his disagreements with certain referee calls molloyjh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Really excited by that back line

Here's the Eagles team to play the Dragons

15 Api Pewhairangi
    14 Ed O’Keeffe
    13 Cormac Brennan
    12 Peter Robb
    11 Fionn Carr
    10 Shane O’Leary
    9 Conor Lowndes

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Jack Dinneen
    3 Conan O’Donnell
    4 Danny Qualter
    5 Dave Nolan
    6 Marc Kelly
    7 Rory Moloney (captain)
    8 Cillian Gallagher

REPLACEMENTS

16 Pat O’Toole
    17 Matthew Burke
    18 Cian Romaine
    19 Matthew Cosgrove
    20 Stephen Kerins
    21 Conor McKeon
    22 Adam Leavy

Anyone know is that the Dave Nolan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

evil_seed wrote: »
    No kicker :(
    Just score tries!

Simples.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyone know is that the Dave Nolan?
    I think it is, which is great given the lack of depth at lock.

Also brilliant to see Blade ahead of Porter on the bench - really exciting prospect

• Advertisement

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/newcastle-falcons-make-11-changes-10773872

Looks like Newcastle are going with a reasonably strong team.
    Brive seem to be strong enough too.
    I don't see Brive getting the bonus point win.

5th seed is beckoning and I think that is exactly where I would like to be with the format this year.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/newcastle-falcons-make-11-changes-10773872

Looks like Newcastle are going with a reasonably strong team.
    Brive seem to be strong enough too.
    I don't see Brive getting the bonus point win.

5th seed is beckoning and I think that is exactly where I would like to be with the format this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Coming in here having a big rant about it seems like you're directing it at Connacht fans. Maybe put it in general rugby or something if that's the case. It'd be the same as people showing up in the Munster or Leinster threads whenever Hook or Franno have been let loose and come out with something ridiculous, people would rightly tell you to **** off if you started ranting about them in the supporter's threads.

As for the match tomorrow: I think that's us only 2 players shy of our strongest team(Ronaldson at 10 and Heenan at 7).

Edit: Oops, McCartney on the bench and Heffernan starting would be another I suppose.

Weather forecast is poor. Shame. Have being looking forward to this back line (well Craig at 10 to complete it) for ever (and it is ever sadly). Its the strongest team (maybe other than 2 and 7) than I can recollect. Such a pity we couldn't field same against Leinster or Ulster over Christmas. At least then we would have a measure of how our best compares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Bazzo wrote: »
    Coming in here having a big rant about it seems like you're directing it at Connacht fans. Maybe put it in general rugby or something if that's the case. It'd be the same as people showing up in the Munster or Leinster threads whenever Hook or Franno have been let loose and come out with something ridiculous, people would rightly tell you to **** off if you started ranting about them in the supporter's threads.

As for the match tomorrow: I think that's us only 2 players shy of our strongest team(Ronaldson at 10 and Heenan at 7).

Edit: Oops, McCartney on the bench and Heffernan starting would be another I suppose.

If Franno wrote that sort of drivel about Leinster matches, I can't think of anywhere more appropriate to post about it than in the Leinster thread.

Montpellier hammered Quins so they're both through. That leaves one runner up spot. We either have to win the pool (Newcastle do us a favour or Brive don't get a TBP and we do) or hope Grenoble either beat Edinburgh or don't pick up a LBP. Grenoble have 19 tries scored against our 12 ( I don't know how tied teams are separated but tries scored could be one criterion).
    Forecast is for rain which hampers scoring tries but I really like the look of our team tomorrow so expect a good performance.

Montpellier hammered Quins so they're both through. That leaves one runner up spot. We either have to win the pool (Newcastle do us a favour or Brive don't get a TBP and we do) or hope Grenoble either beat Edinburgh or don't pick up a LBP. Grenoble have 19 tries scored against our 12 ( I don't know how tied teams are separated but tries scored could be one criterion).
    Forecast is for rain which hampers scoring tries but I really like the look of our team tomorrow so expect a good performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Newcastle will beat Brive. No panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

To be fair even with the weather if we can't get 4 tries tomorrow with a side reasonably close to full strength we don't deserve to go any further. Enisei have done well at home but they have got two good beatings away from home. Like others I'd expect Newcastle to at the very least deny Brive 4 tries.

Also if we are competing against Grenoble or Edinburgh for a runners up spot, it comes down to scoring difference. Grenoble +22, Edinburgh +33 and we are +9 so a win of 24/25 with a bonus point would cover us unless there were bonus points flying around all sides in Grenoble v Edinburgh.

It really didn't need to be this complicated but it is as it is. If things work out, an away q/f against maybe Grenoble would have the carrot of a home semi-final against Gloucester!

• Advertisement

To be fair even with the weather if we can't get 4 tries tomorrow with a side reasonably close to full strength we don't deserve to go any further. Enisei have done well at home but they have got two good beatings away from home. Like others I'd expect Newcastle to at the very least deny Brive 4 tries.

Also if we are competing against Grenoble or Edinburgh for a runners up spot, it comes down to scoring difference. Grenoble +22, Edinburgh +33 and we are +9 so a win of 24/25 with a bonus point would cover us unless there were bonus points flying around all sides in Grenoble v Edinburgh.

It really didn't need to be this complicated but it is as it is. If things work out, an away q/f against maybe Grenoble would have the carrot of a home semi-final against Gloucester!

As good as it gets we have the best back line we have ever been able to put out there. So looking forward to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

As good as it gets we have the best back line we have ever been able to put out there. So looking forward to this

That backline is seriously exciting. Hopefully they can get some quick ball. AJ had a mare with the boot last day but from the pieces I've seen he seems good at getting the backs going and likes to take it up himself as well. Munster game in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Presume this isn't in the box?

freyners wrote: »
    Presume this isn't in the box?

Nope, the Eagles game is on S4C though.

Anyone who's worried about Newcastle not beating Brive don't forget they've got this man ;)

CYetBzRWwAE3Bup.jpg

Ha! Andy Goode's "retirement" was actually an elaborate ruse to avoid pre-season training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

He's got a bigger belly than Rodney

tad off topic but over heard two OAP's talking about match today on a city bus, they both said they were going to listen to the game on Galway Bay as they unable to stand at the game due to one having a bad knee and the other said he has a bad hip so "not able to go to the games anymore"
    I have an uncle who has bad hip - last time he came to match he loved it but he was in pain for few days after it
    Sportsground really needs to get a seated area

..and yes i was ease dropping

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

To me one of the big reasons Leinster's move to the RDS, where the crowds increased massively (at the end of the 06/07 season we got 6k for our last game of the season against Border Reivers in Donnybrook. Our first two games in the next season in the RDS had 9.5K and by Nov we where getting 18K for HEC games) was due to the extra seating.

Donnybrook was mostly a standing stadium whereas the RDS is mostly a sitting stadium.

yes I LOVE the Clan Terrace, but wish was able to redevelop Main Stand to make some of it Seated

• Advertisement

It's not just the elderly who'd be better off with more seats but the amount of families and, this is going to sound sexist, but women who go to games in the RDS v Donnybrook is huge. Granted we're much more successful than we were when we where in Donnybrook so will catch the eye of new fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

tad off topic but over heard two OAP's talking about match today on a city bus, they both said they were going to listen to the game on Galway Bay as they unable to stand at the game due to one having a bad knee and the other said he has a bad hip so "not able to go to the games anymore"
    I have an uncle who has bad hip - last time he came to match he loved it but he was in pain for few days after it

I know a few people who won't go to the sportsground because of that. And they don't like being in behind the glass because they lose the atmosphere and too expensive

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Same thing stops my ould fella from coming along as well. He can't do 2 hours on his feet.

The plans that exist for the expanded Clan Terrace have the upper tier as a seated section, don't they? Shows that the demand is there and it would also mean more revenue from the Clan Bar and food concessions.

I believe the Eagles match is on S4C now but can't for the life of me find a means of viewing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

It's channel 134 on sky, but you used to be able to watch live streams of whatever they were broadcasting on the s4c website.
    It's halftime & dragons are winning 10 - 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

It's channel 134 on sky, but you used to be able to watch live streams of whatever they were broadcasting on the s4c website.
    It's halftime & dragons are winning 10 - 3

Trying over complicate things at times but 4 tries and alot of nice play in opening half

Hat tip to the Einsei players who high fived the line of children as they entered the pitch

• Advertisement

Newcastle are 22-3 up on Brive at half time.

TBP got and Newcastle beating Brive 22-3 at half time. Barring anything drastic I think we're through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

6 tries now.
    35-5.

McGinty with 2 kicks out of 7.
    Terrible percentages from Connachts kickers in last couple of weeks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,873 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just checked the scores on ultimate rugby

Connacht have an aversion to kicking conversions???

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just checked the scores on ultimate rugby

Connacht have an aversion to kicking conversions???

Unless Ronaldson is on the pitch place kicking in general is terrible. Porter is capable enough but behind Marmion and Cooney for a place. Carty has the odd good day and a lot of really awful days. I was under the impression that AJ was general regarded as a decent kicker but after the last couple of performances it seems not.

Newcastle conspiring to lose at the death, 22-23 now with a few mins left. Unless Brive pull out 2 tries though we're safe as we've racked up a huge points & trys scored difference.

Was anyone at the game that could give us some comments on individual performances, who got motm etc?

EDIT: Newcastle pulled it back with a try in the 74th minute to win 27-23, which sees us go through as top of the group comfortably with Newcastle in second place on 16 pts beating out Brive on pts difference.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement