Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Someone give us the low-down on Bealham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

freyners wrote: »
    Weirds as Rodney has been good this season. Bealham is one for the future and with Ross abck for england could be just get him in the camp

I don't think Rodney has been that good this season to be honest, certainly hasn't come close to last season imo and Bealham being a few years younger has the higher ceiling of the pair.

Bealham there to cover both sides of the scrum in the training sessions I'd assume.

The new Bent!

Bealham there to cover both sides of the scrum in the training sessions I'd assume.

The new Bent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ClanofLams wrote:
    I don't think Rodney has been that good this season to be honest, certainly hasn't come close to last season imo and Bealham being a few years younger has the higher ceiling of the pair.

He's been solid in the scrum and reasonable I'm the lose. He's playing good but not as his ceiling.

Agree on Bealham. Potential to be very very good judging on his progression so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Bealham played his early rugby in Ulster and let go from the Academy as I recall before coming to Galway to try his hand here. Ulster sign Rodney and now Bealham picked in the Irish squad ahead of the new Ulster tight head........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

A lot of credit has to go to Nigel Carolan re Bealham. I'm pretty sure he wasn't hugely rated as an underage player or during his time in Ulster.....comes down to Galway, spends a few years under Carolan and Lam and now he's turned into a very good senior player and is called up to an Ireland squad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

S12b wrote: »
    A lot of credit has to go to Nigel Carolan re Bealham. I'm pretty sure he wasn't hugely rated as an underage player or during his time in Ulster.....comes down to Galway, spends a few years under Carolan and Lam and now he's turned into a very good senior player and is called up to an Ireland squad!!

Nigel def deserves credit for all his work in the academy. Dan McFarland def deserves a mention for his hard work with both Bealham and Ah You who've come on leaps and bounds during his time as forwards coach

*Edit don't do drugs kids ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

b.gud wrote: »
    Nigel def deserves credit for all his work in the academy. Dan McFarland def deserves a mention for his hard work with both Bealham and Ah You who've coke on leaps and bounds during his time as forwards coach

Novel approach to coaching ye have in Connacht. ;)

Novel approach to coaching ye have in Connacht. ;)

Rodney will miss it up in Ulster :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Bealham played his early rugby in Ulster and let go from the Academy as I recall before coming to Galway to try his hand here. Ulster sign Rodney and now Bealham picked in the Irish squad ahead of the new Ulster tight head........

Ssshhhhhhhh! They could still renege on the deal! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Fair play, delighted for him. He was called up ahead of Rodney I'd imagine because there are only 2 looseheads in the squad and he can cover either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ahead of Michael Bent who does the same too.

Ronaldson, Delahunt and McKeon all fit for this weekend

Ronaldson, Delahunt and McKeon all fit for this weekend

Fingers crossed Marmion and Henshaw are released from camp.

Zzippy wrote: »

According to Linley MacKenzie on Twitter Pat will know tonight who he will and won't have available. He's preparing for having none and having all.

With Ronaldson fit again if both of those players were released back we would be able to put out our best possible back line.

Also I forgot to post the best part of the injury update
    There were no new injury concerns following the 47 – 5 bonus point win over Enisei-STM at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

So who's still injured? Fox-Matamua is out for the year right? Have we seen the last of Dave Mc Sharry?

So who's still injured? Fox-Matamua is out for the year right? Have we seen the last of Dave Mc Sharry?

This was the list ahead of the Enisei game, with my annotations of the info I know from memory so it could be wrong so people feel free to correct me

Unavailable / Injured:
    Jason Harris-Wright, concussion in Scarlets game 2 weeks ago, no update
    Shane Delahunt, back now
    JP Cooney, not sure
    Andrew Browne, approx 4 weeks away from return (thanks Zzippy)
    Ben Marshall, no update maybe another 4 - 6 weeks?
    Quinn Roux, back running on anti g threadmill
    Nepia Fox-Matamua, Out for the season
    Eoin McKeon, back now
    John Cooney, Looks like he was quite involved in training recently so might not be too far off a return
    Craig Ronaldson, back now
    Dave McSharry, concussion in Newcastle home game no update since
    Conor Finn, seemed to be involved somewhat in traingin recently but no return timeframe yet
    Darragh Leader. Out for the season

Winters wrote: »
    Ahead of Michael Bent who does the same too.

Makes sense really as Bent has about 5 years on him and is more or less a confirmed journeyman. Bealham probably has more rugby at a higher level under him this season too as Bent isn't all that close to the Leinster squad unless there are injuries or players away on international duties.

I hope not but I would be very unsurprised if that was the case. Huge shame if it is.

This was the list ahead of the Enisei game, with my annotations of the info I know from memory so it could be wrong so people feel free to correct me

Unavailable / Injured:
    Jason Harris-Wright, concussion in Scarlets game 2 weeks ago, no update
    Shane Delahunt, back now
    JP Cooney, not sure
    Andrew Browne, not sure
    Ben Marshall, no update maybe another 4 - 6 weeks?
    Quinn Roux, back running on anti g threadmill
    Nepia Fox-Matamua, Out for the season
    Eoin McKeon, back now
    John Cooney, Looks like he was quite involved in training recently so might not be too far off a return
    Craig Ronaldson, back now
    Dave McSharry, concussion in Newcastle home game no update since
    Conor Finn, seemed to be involved somewhat in traingin recently but no return timeframe yet
    Darragh Leader. Out for the season

Browne was interviewed pitchside before the game on Saturday, he said 4 weeks IIRC. What happened Leader?

• Advertisement

Browne was interviewed pitchside before the game on Saturday, he said 4 weeks IIRC. What happened Leader?

He aggravated a previous wrist injury in his return game for the eagles I think.

In the Eagles game where he came back from injury he aggrivated a previous hand injury and is going to be out for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

In the Eagles game where he came back from injury he aggrivated a previous hand injury and is going to be out for the season

yup, gone for surgery afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

congrats to bealham. in what way did denis buckley offend the international gods?

congrats to bealham. in what way did denis buckley offend the international gods?

Doesn't play th

Seeing as Cronin was selected I wouldn't be surprised if he's way down the list anyway. For me the pecking order with all firing, uninjured and in good form(I'm looking at you Healy) would be McGrath=Healy>Buckley>Kilcoyne>Cronin but in reality it seems to be more like McGrath=Healy>Cronin>Kilcoyne>Buckley.

Maybe, just maybe, if we get all our collective grannies to light the candles and say a prayer, he might get a chance in the autumn internationals to show what he can do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Scarlets second row Paulino has been cited for striking Courtney Lawes. They're going to be a bit light in that department with Jake Ball in the Wales squad.

They're a bit depleted in the front row as well if they don't get anyone released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Are ST holders still entitled to two complimentary tickets for the game of their choice? I'm going to get them for the game on Saturday if we are.

freyners wrote: »
    Doesn't play th
    Didn't say he played tight head. While many rugby oficionados have named other Connacht players who should/could be in the equation, Buckleys name is missing every time. Its ludicrous. Buckley is the only player on our team who is utterly irreplaceable for a very good reason.

• Advertisement

Didn't say he played tight head. While many rugby oficionados have named other Connacht players who should/could be in the equation, Buckleys name is missing every time. Its ludicrous. Buckley is the only player on our team who is utterly irreplaceable for a very good reason.

Yes but buckley was unavailable during a crucial period and he named two in form loose heads. Don't get me wrong I think he's better than cronin and the gap between him and mcgrath ain't as large as some think. But we are going to have to play two very inexperienced TH (at test level) for the first two games. So he was not going to bring in a rookie loose head. Buckleys day will come. Possibly this summer

be happy with henshaw. blade will suffice most very very well. cooney as backup by all accounts from latest fitness reports. and of course this is based on my undying want to grab marmion and shake him strategy so he'll feckin supply decent ball at a decent speed. anyone who mentions marmion was great against eni sei is going straight on my hate list :-)

Redo91 wrote: »
    Are ST holders still entitled to two complimentary tickets for the game of their choice? I'm going to get them for the game on Saturday if we are.

If it's the same as last year you get 2 guest tickets for any game besides an interpro. I just e-mailed someone in the office and they sorted it out for me to collect them at the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I wonder if Connacht would consider giving Leinster pat lam in return for Cullen?

WarZ wrote: »
    I wonder if Connacht would consider giving Leinster pat lam in return for Cullen?
    OK you are simply not equating one versus the other. This is PAT LAM versus leo cullen. Its kinda like saying TOH could be replaced by rob Kearney or MATT could be replaced by dave kearney. Utter fantasy. There is no equal sign. There is just the greater than sign as I perceive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

OK you are simply not equating one versus the other. This is PAT LAM versus leo cullen. Its kinda like saying TOH could be replaced by rob Kearney or MATT could be replaced by dave kearney. Utter fantasy. There is no equal sign. There is just the greater than sign as I perceive it.

Well it will be excellent for Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

What's the point of your post exactly?

Redo91 wrote: »
    What's the point of your post exactly?
    Think the point is pretty obvious. What pat has done with (at the time he took over the team) a less than moderate team is pretty impressive. He will have job offers out his ears and deservedly so. If Leo Cullen manages the same with a far bigger base will be interesting to see. Don't think Axel will come close.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Honestly, I've deleted 8 answers here for fear they'd have me banned and the tamest answer I can come up with is "Because JobBridge is supposed to be on the way out.".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

it appears that in responding to this question we have lost our collective sense of humour? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

it appears that in responding to this question we have lost our collective sense of humour? :o

There is poking the bear and then there is bashing him over the head with a 2x4.

Some things, you just don't joke about ....

• Advertisement

True but sort of reminded me of those Youtube videos where someone shouts "it's only prank" after doing something purposely provocative..

Paulino is suspended for 3 weeks.

Any word on weather AJ will be released to play for the USA Eagles in the new America 6 nations competition?
    If Ronaldson and Carty are both fit they might be as well to let him go. He'd be starting 10 in those games, he could work on his kicking issues. The experience would stand to him.

Any word on weather AJ will be released to play for the USA Eagles in the new America 6 nations competition?
    If Ronaldson and Carty are both fit they might be as well to let him go. He'd be starting 10 in those games, he could work on his kicking issues. The experience would stand to him.

When is that comp happening? If it's an official IRB competition window then they have to release him afaik

It's running concurrent to our 6 nations. Starting feb 6th. The games are listed on worldrugby.com alright. http://www.worldrugby.org/tournament/1641

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Any word on weather
    Windy with a few showers I think. :P

Liam Williams released from the Welsh squad to play this weekend. No word on any other internationals being released.

just watched the eagles game. terribly messy affair. pitch was churned up badly. connacht game was such utter mayhem it was hard to identify anybody who played well but i though dave nolan looked good

Jesus that'd be brilliant if could manage get him released - I'd assumed just be Dillane and Bealham back
    Interesting that the article says most likely be at 12

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement