Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Robbo wrote: »
    We'll also have the potential for a McSharry/Griffin combo next season, god willing. Seemed to work well in a certain shellacking of Leinster in the Sportsground.

Well since you bring it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah uncertain for McShazz, would be a shame he gets a good level when fit
    COM-PLE-TLY forgot about Griffin back. Great
    Robb barely missed one tackle in the 3 pro games he played. He's a hell of a defender

Yeah uncertain for McShazz, would be a shame he gets a good level when fit
    COM-PLE-TLY forgot about Griffin back. Great
    Robb barely missed one tackle in the 3 pro games he played. He's a hell of a defender

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

connachta wrote: »

Phil is correct though. Robb looks like a good defender for a young guy with 3 pro games but he can't be compared to Henshaw who has shown his defence is excellent at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Checked program guide for next week. It would seem that Connacht against dragons will not be televised :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Any idea what day the Leinster game will be fixed for? I've a ticket bought for the Ireland v Switzerland game on Good Friday and the Leinster game is being played that weekend. Would be sickened if I missed it considering I had to miss the Ulster game on Stephens day.

Good interview with Tom McCartney in the independent today. Top six 'bare minimum' and want top four.

He's been a great bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Any idea what day the Leinster game will be fixed for? I've a ticket bought for the Ireland v Switzerland game on Good Friday and the Leinster game is being played that weekend. Would be sickened if I missed it considering I had to miss the Ulster game on Stephens day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd hope it be the Saturday, I'd imagine Sky Sports could be interested in showing it which may help
    Friday would be crap with pubs closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Good interview with Tom McCartney in the independent today. Top six 'bare minimum' and want top four.

He's been a great bit of business.

He was signed by Pat Lam right? I think I'm correct in saying that the majority of Lam's signings have been successes. Muliaina stands out as the big disappointment but then you have Aki, Heenan and McCartney.

He was signed by Pat Lam right? I think I'm correct in saying that the majority of Lam's signings have been successes. Muliaina stands out as the big disappointment but then you have Aki, Heenan and McCartney.

The gems have been Fox, Aki, Tom and Heenan

But then there was James So'olaio (ya remember him..), Clarke and Mils
    Too early and unfair to add Api to that list as been injured this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The gems have been Fox, Aki, Tom and Heenan

But then there was James So'olaio (ya remember him..), Clarke and Mils
    Too early and unfair to add Api to that list as been injured this year

Harsh on Clarke to include him with those two, he was a top player for us for the short period he was available. Very unlucky to have to retire.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Harsh on Clarke to include him with those two, he was a top player for us for the short period he was available. Very unlucky to have to retire.

Ya it probably is alright - but he arrived on a 3 Year deal afaik
    Can't exactly say the whole thing worked out..
    The short while he was fit he was outstanding mind, we would never have won without him in Toulouse

Did Lam sign Muldowney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Tbh the only disappointment there is mils. James was a decent player and a good signing, there is no way a coach can foresee him being that unsettled. Plus him leaving didn't cripple us too badly as we have seen the emergence of Leader and Parata since who fill a similar role.

Clarke was medical. While he had a history he was a worthwhile gamble.

Mils even you could say broke even. His name alone got a lot of people in the door and the players spoke highly of him. But he stands out as the one black mark

Lams signings have been ace overall though. Bundee the obvious coup to get him ahead of munster l but it's the less heralded but still key players in tom jake nepia that have really improved us as a team. Him giving the academy lads there go too has been just as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'd hope it be the Saturday, I'd imagine Sky Sports could be interested in showing it which may help
    Friday would be crap with pubs closed

To be fair good Friday is the one day of the year I can pretty much guarantee every last one of my mates back in Ireland will be on the piss so wouldn't bother me having a match on at all.

• Advertisement

Marmion on the bench against Wales! Hope he gets a decent run and has a good game. Delighted for him. :)

Bazzo wrote: »
    To be fair good Friday is the one day of the year I can pretty much guarantee every last one of my mates back in Ireland will be on the piss so wouldn't bother me having a match on at all.

Ha same, but I like to have a pint in Rabbits after a match and it'd not really fair on the Leinster fans who travel down if they've no where to go

Ha same, but I like to have a pint in Rabbits after a match and it'd not really fair on the Leinster fans who travel down if they've no where to go

They could get the train and drink all the way up and down! ;)

Marmion on the bench against Wales! Hope he gets a decent run and has a good game. Delighted for him. :)

It's time for him to keep that shirt too. Reddan and Boss are deteriorating v quickly.

We all need him to push them out of the picture altogether.

freyners wrote: »
    Tbh the only disappointment there is mils. James was a decent player and a good signing, there is no way a coach can foresee him being that unsettled. Plus him leaving didn't cripple us too badly as we have seen the emergence of Leader and Parata since who fill a similar role.

Clarke was medical. While he had a history he was a worthwhile gamble.

I get what you saying but Thomond asked "were all Lam's signings successful"

Clarke signed a 3 Year deal and he had to retire after 14 games with us- no matter the circumstances that can hardly be seen as successful

Poor auld Seamus started off badly with problems with his work visa - meaning he wasn't able to play with us for a while. Then he played two games (and he looked pretty good I have to say) and had to go back to New Zealand - again can't exactly be viewed as successful signing

But both those things were pretty much out of Lam's control I get what you were saying

• Advertisement

I get what you saying but Thomond asked "were all Lam's signings successful"

Clarke signed a 3 Year deal and he had to retire after 14 games with us- no matter the circumstances that can hardly be seen as successful

Clarke was outstanding for those games he did play, which is half a season. He didn't cost us anything once he retired, there would have been insurance to cover that. By all accounts he was a very good influence in the dressing room, and probably brought a very professional attitude that would have helped shape a dew of the younger players. He was very unlucky with injury, but certainly for the time he was here I'd consider him a successful signing.

I was curious to see if there were many full Connacht matches on Youtube so I made a playlist of all the ones I could find

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7c55z29T6Xyc85k4J250KuFELou7EvXA

Clarke was outstanding for those games he did play, which is half a season. He didn't cost us anything once he retired, there would have been insurance to cover that. By all accounts he was a very good influence in the dressing room, and probably brought a very professional attitude that would have helped shape a dew of the younger players. He was very unlucky with injury, but certainly for the time he was here I'd consider him a successful signing.

we both agree he was brilliant when he played
    Don't think we gonna agree on what constitutes "successful signing" :)

wp_rathead wrote:
    we both agree he was brilliant when he played Don't think we gonna agree on what constitutes "successful signing"

Well said.

For what its worth in my view a successful signing is whether the players ability was of the required standard and in my view both James and craig met (and exceeded in Craigs case) it. I don't think a coach can be held to account for either persons circumstances but I recognise that is up for debate, especially in seamus 's case.

Also, i really hope craig will come back as a visitor for the odd game for as long a time into the future as he can. In my view he was the original statement of intent by lam and is an important player in our development. He deserves to put on a platform by connacht supporters in my view

freyners wrote: »
    Well said.

For what its worth in my view a successful signing is whether the players ability was of the required standard and in my view both James and craig met (and exceeded in Craigs case) it. I don't think a coach can be held to account for either persons circumstances but I recognise that is up for debate, especially in seamus 's case.

Also, i really hope craig will come back as a visitor for the odd game for as long a time into the future as he can. In my view he was the original statement of intent by lam and is an important player in our development. He deserves to put on a platform by connacht supporters in my view

I was actually curious about what Clarke has been up to since his retirement a little while ago. He has been completely quite about it and has gone back to farming and doesn't really want to the media from what I gathered. So I'd say the chances of him coming back are slim, though the fact that his daughter was born here might mean he comes back at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I think in terms of on the pitch influence, Muldowney has been a step up on Clarke. Clarke was a class lineout forward with a high workrate but didn't have Aly's skillset or ball carrying ability. Aly links the play so well between backs and forwards.

He's been outstanding since he's become a first team regular, along with Denis Buckley our most consistent player for the last 2 years. On form there isn't a better 2nd row in Ireland in my opinion. A late developer but perhaps understandable when he only took up rugby at 18.

When you see how he led the way in dismantling Munster in Thomond and a whole host of top performances to go with it, for the life of me I can't understand how he's overlooked for Ireland, given the sparsity of 2nd rows knocking around. It sticks in the craw for me that Mike McCarthy spent a number of seasons with Connacht playing excellent rugby and could barely make an extended Irish squad, yet now he's 34, his legs are gone and he can only last about 50 minutes and he's starting in the 6 nations.

Go figure on that one. Aly would be starting on Sunday v Wales hands down for me. But anyway, I guess Ireland's loss is our gain. And we need to tie him down to a new contract asap

He said he would be back for a game. Now it more than likely is something that any player would say but I want to see him being almost forced to because the team are playing so well. A challenge cup final might be tough to get to given the quality we are up against but should be our aim. That should see him come imo

(This was in response to b.gud. re craig clarke apologies the quote ain't showing. mobile app I find hard to use)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Pity the dragons couldn't hold out to beat Ulster there. We'll have our work cut out on Thursday.

All in all it may be better as it is. Eagerness for revenge may be inferior to the loss of confidence they'll face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

connachta wrote: »
    All in all it may be better as it is. Eagerness for revenge may be inferior to the loss of confidence they'll face

If Dragons play at home to Connacht the way they have done in their last 2 matches its going to be hard to see a Connacht win. I was at Ravenhill last night and the Dragons back line with ball in hand were very impressive - watch out for Hewitt, Amos and Hughes.

• Advertisement

I know. But Parata Aki and Healy aren't bad either.

1) faster support in the rucks
    2) less missed tackles
    3) better kicking to the post percentage

Should be enough

If Dragons play at home to Connacht the way they have done in their last 2 matches its going to be hard to see a Connacht win. I was at Ravenhill last night and the Dragons back line with ball in hand were very impressive - watch out for Hewitt, Amos and Hughes.

Not to take anything away from Dragons because they were impressive last night in both defence and attack but Ulster weren't great for spells so flattered them a little.

I still think we're capable of beating them if we show up on the day. That was also a really physical match(particularly for Dragons, they did so much defensive work) and that followed by what had to be an excruciating last minute loss might mean they're not 100% going in to the match next week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dragons defence was also very good last night. Even when they were a man down they held their shape and intensity very well.

Let's hope it completely knackered them and we're the fresher team by far.

We Will. But let's hope Parata/Blade will bring the touch of genius Henshaw/Marmion usually put into a close game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Is ronaldson out for this one?

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Is ronaldson out for this one?

nope, id imagine we'll see him at 12 and Bundee at 13 and Parata on wing if Healy still out

I excluded Craig about the "genious" perspective. He's more of" the reliable guy". Will be useful if it's rainning

nope, id imagine we'll see him at 12 and Bundee at 13 and Parata on wing if Healy still out
    Even with Craig out Robb is a fine replacement. Would suggest that, while the team got 5 days off, jack and aj didn't get the same break. Lads ye need to kick or we are fecked.

Even with Craig out Robb is a fine replacement. Would suggest that, while the team got 5 days off, jack and aj didn't get the same break. Lads ye need to kick or we are fecked.

that's true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Some interesting stuff here about Connacht's kiwi contingent:

Jake Heenan has a British passport and wants to play international rugby for someone.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/72159970/The-lives-and-times-of-players-in-exile

jm08 wrote: »

Jake Heenan has a British passport and wants to play international rugby for someone.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/72159970/The-lives-and-times-of-players-in-exile

If he stays he'll play for Ireland. He's a better openside than anyone else in the country, if he can stay fit. SOB, Heenan, Heaslip or longer term POM, Heenan, Stander would be a savage back row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well if he had a British passport and is interested in playing for England it'll probably be very very hard for an Irish province to keep him after his current deal expires. He's not going to be given a central contract immediately and even Leinster/Ulster would struggle to compete financially with a potential EPS member I'd bet.

More that he wants to play internationally than for England specifically. Hopefully he sticks around. If he does and stays fit, wouldn't be at all surprised to see him capped in the next 18 months.

Well if he had a British passport and is interested in playing for England it'll probably be very very hard for an Irish province to keep him after his current deal expires. He's not going to be given a central contract immediately and even Leinster/Ulster would struggle to compete financially with a potential EPS member I'd bet.

He's out of contract this summer. While it will be hard to hang onto him, he hasn't made the breakthrough he could have (due to injury), and his injury history could put off potential suitors - 2 shoulder reconstructions in a short period. Hopefully we can get him to sign for another 2 years, after that if he's not an Ireland regular he'll probably be off...

His contract is actually up this year(I'm pretty sure anyway?)

I'd be hopeful that he'll sign on with Connacht again, I think they've treated him fairly well through a couple long injury layoffs and he's a fan favourite. If that happens I'd imagine he will get involved with Ireland at some stage because he's a huge talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's out of contract this summer. While it will be hard to hang onto him, he hasn't made the breakthrough he could have (due to injury), and his injury history could put off potential suitors - 2 shoulder reconstructions in a short period. Hopefully we can get him to sign for another 2 years, after that if he's not an Ireland regular he'll probably be off...

Personally I think he's probably one of the best 7s in the Northern Hemisphere, I'd be shocked if the staff at every Premiership club isn't aware of his talent.

However you're right about the injuries, that may just see him stick around long enough for us to lock him into a green jersey.

jm08 wrote: »

Pat brought him to galway. Pat (which I learnt with a major kick in the arse from folks more knowledgeable) is hanging around. I suspect his signings will do likewise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd also think with Heenan that he knows that another injury to his shoulder is game over. Would he want to go somewhere where he might be flogged or rushed back ahead of time? He's well aware of how well internationals are managed here in terms of game time and recovery, less so of how an English team seeking a return on a pricy acquisition might behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Great to see Dillane is togged and out warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Pity Marmion didn't get a run, but in fairness Murray had a great game, couldn't take him off on that form.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement