Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Squad update
    "Matt Healy who sustained a concussion in the last game against Scarlets and Sean O’Brien who was concussed in training are both completing the final stages of the RTP protocols. It is hoped that both will be available for this week’s game

Jason Harris-Wright
    Hooker Jason Harris-Wright who was concussed in the Challenge Cup game away to Brive has also been cleared to play this week

JP Cooney
    Prop JP Cooney who underwent shoulder stabilisation surgery in October 2015 played 60 minutes for Garryowen FC at the weekend and is now available for selection

Jack Carty
    While on holiday in Dubai last week, outhalf Jack Carty suffered an unfortunate accident on a water slide. Following medical review, it was confirmed that the 23-year-old ruptured his spleen. The Athlone man has had the spleen removed and will spend another week in hospital in Dubai. At this stage, the recovery time is likely to be between 1 and 3 months."

That's some dose for Carty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

A ruptured spleen?! Holy sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Jack Carty
    While on holiday in Dubai last week, outhalf Jack Carty suffered an unfortunate accident on a water slide. Following medical review, it was confirmed that the 23-year-old ruptured his spleen. The Athlone man has had the spleen removed and will spend another week in hospital in Dubai. At this stage, the recovery time is likely to be between 1 and 3 months."

That is BIZZARE. Ridiculously unfortunate.

Hope his recovery is quick.
    We will need him.

I also hope it's Ronaldson ahead of McGinty for the next few weeks.

Pretty mental. No more fancy holidays from now on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Jesus Christ. Ruptured spleen on a water slide! Think I'll stick to the pool when I'm there...

On the plus side, Ronaldson to 10... :)

Jesus Christ. Ruptured spleen on a water slide! Think I'll stick to the pool when I'm there...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Updated injury list with changes in bold:
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Jason Harris-Wright|Concussion against Brive|Available for Dragons
    Nathan White| Ireland Squad|6 Nations schedule permitting
    JP Cooney|Shoulder|Available For Dragons
    Andrew Browne|A/C Fracture|Mid/Late February
    Ben Marshall|Arm fracture|March
    Quinn Roux|Ankle|February-ish
    Sean O’Brien|Concussion|Possibly available for Dragons
    Eoin McKeon|Hip|Should have been this week
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|ACL|Next Season
    Kieran Marmion|Ireland Squad|6 Nations schedule permitting
    John Cooney|Shoulder Dislocation/Tear|Ospreys/Late Feb
    Dave McSharry|Concussion|Unknown
    Conor Finn|???|???
    Niyi Adeolokun|???|???
    Darragh Leader|Wrist|Next Season
    Ciaran Gaffney|???|???
    Matt Healy|Concussion against Scarlets|Possibly available for Dragons
    Jack Carty|Spleen/Waterslide Ouch|1-3 months from early-February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Robbo wrote: »
    Updated injury list with changes in bold:
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Jack Carty|Spleen/Waterslide Ouch|1-3 months from early-February
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Zzippy wrote: »

Some of those water slides have very little slide and a lot of fall :eek:

What is the story with Api Pewhairangi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

That is fecking terrible news about Jack Carty!!

Some of those water slides have very little slide and a lot of fall :eek:

Sounds like a bellyflop so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That is BIZZARE. Ridiculously unfortunate.

Hope his recovery is quick.
    We will need him.

I also hope it's Ronaldson ahead of McGinty for the next few weeks.

Agree would go Ronaldson Aki Parata. The latter two had a pretty good partnership going at the start of the season.

Very disappointing for Carty, especially as his performance against Scarlets was probably his best all season, good touch kicking, attacked the line well and place kicked well two, missed a few in the first half but two were off the post.

Is it the most ridiculous thing to injure a rugby player?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

That really crazy, hope it doesn't mean an end to players being allowed to take a trip away at this time of year cos they really deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

guessing Martin Castrogiovanni or Danny Cipriani would say yes.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What is the story with Api Pewhairangi
    Playing for Wegians these days.
    Although it's football, I'm reminded of Canizares missing a World Cup through dropping an aftershave bottle on his foot and severing a tendon.

b.gud wrote: »
    That really crazy, hope it doesn't mean an end to players being allowed to take a trip away at this time of year cos they really deserve it

Of course not, but I would have thought they'd be warned not to partake in any risky activities while away. I can't imagine they're allowed go skiing, for instance. If the water slide is that risky maybe he should have known better...

Ah I doubt there'll be an overreaction like that, might be told to stick pool/beach side tho!

On the Dragons game seeing as they didn't have a break last week, I presume this might be their ninth or tenth week out on the trot? Whilst they had a week without a game, it wasn't a week off like last week was for Connacht, still had training and all that goes along with. That along with six day turnaround should make it very winnable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Squad update

Jack Carty

Unfortunately that will have life long consequence for him. Nothing too dangerous these days but prophyactic anti-biotic use is necessary as the spleen is part of the immune system. with anti-biotic resistant bacteria now rife it may be less risk free in the future.

Of course not, but I would have thought they'd be warned not to partake in any risky activities while away. I can't imagine they're allowed go skiing, for instance. If the water slide is that risky maybe he should have known better...

To be fair I would think the chance of that happening are remote to say the least. Just a freak accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Holy **** that's awful news about Jack, wish him a speedy recovery and all the best. I tend to rag on him a fair bit but he's come on leaps and bounds and I can't really fault any aspect of his game besides place kicking these days, he'll be missed. His kicking from hand in particular has been superb this year.

Ah now Zzippy, you would never in a million years predict you'd injure yourself on a water slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

What's the likelihood of Dillane being released this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

S12b wrote:
    What's the likelihood of Dillane being released this week?

Ultan was number 24 Sunday so unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Connacht team news made espn.co.uk in the middle of the six nations.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/14739043/connachts-jack-carty-ruptures-spleen-dubai-water-slide

Probably because it's such an unfortunate and somewhat bizarre accident.

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    Ultan was number 24 Sunday so unlikely

Ya I'd be inclined to agree with you, that will leave us painfully light in the second row.....only one recognised lock fit in the squad. Qualter or SOB on bench?

S12b wrote: »
    Ya I'd be inclined to agree with you, that will leave us painfully light in the second row.....only one recognised lock fit in the squad. Qualter or SOB on bench?

Dave Nolan has been involved in the larger squad recently and played with the Eagles a couple of weeks ago so there's an outside chance he could be involved

I see on twitter, John Cooney reckons he should be back for the Ospreys game. Hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the season, quality player but he's had a tough run of it with injuries....really hasn't gotten a good run of games under his belt.

I see on twitter, John Cooney reckons he should be back for the Ospreys game. Hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the season, quality player but he's had a tough run of it with injuries....really hasn't gotten a good run of games under his belt.
    Edited that into the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

He could be in the 23 this weekend McCarthy did a lot of work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

gally74 wrote: »
    He could be in the 23 this weekend McCarthy did a lot of work

So, McCarthy available for us. Oh no wait, Leinster poached him. Mick Kearney then.. Oh, no....biggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

connachta wrote: »
    So, McCarthy available for us. Oh no wait, Leinster poached him. Mick Kearney then.. Oh, no....biggrin.png

I know this is probably joke-y but to be fair there's a lot of movement both ways between Connacht and Leinster. Roux and Marshall have both gone west.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I know this is probably joke-y but to be fair there's a lot of movement both ways between Connacht and Leinster. Roux and Marshall have both gone west.

That is true, but McCarthy and Kearney were first choice players for Connacht - same was not the case for Roux and Marshall in Leinster..

But ya, connachta's post was intended as a joke highlighting our Second Row injury list I think ha :)

Actually this reminds me of something I was thinking about recently in regards to the quality of players who moved here vs the quality that moved away. I've had a long day and I feel like I'm leaving someone out so feel free to point out anyone I missed, not that ye need to be told ;)

The current Connacht squad has 36 Irish caps

Rodney Ah You 3
    Ronan Loughney 1
    Nathan White 9
    John Muldoon 3
    Kieran Marmion 4
    Robbie Henshaw 16

If we minus caps received from players that came here from another Irish team, ie Nathan White, that number drops to 25.

However if we add in players who left Connacht but are still playing that number goes up to 96

Mike McCarthy 18
    Sean Cronin 49
    Ian Keatley 4

When you look at it like that it puts a big dent in the argument that some people make about there being movement both ways, I'm looking at you Liam "2 way street" Toland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jacothelad wrote: »
    Unfortunately that will have life long consequence for him. Nothing too dangerous these days but prophyactic anti-biotic use is necessary as the spleen is part of the immune system. with anti-biotic resistant bacteria now rife it may be less risk free in the future.

The same injury happened to Fernandez Lobbe, albeit it was an injury suffered on the pitch.

Actually this reminds me of something I was thinking about recently in regards to the quality of players who moved here vs the quality that moved away. I've had a long day and I feel like I'm leaving someone out so feel free to point out anyone I missed, not that ye need to be told ;)

The current Connacht squad has 36 Irish caps

Rodney Ah You 3
    Ronan Loughney 1
    Nathan White 9
    John Muldoon 3
    Kieran Marmion 4
    Robbie Henshaw 16

If we minus caps received from players that came here from another Irish team, ie Nathan White, that number drops to 25.

However if we add in players who left Connacht but are still playing that number goes up to 96

Mike McCarthy 18
    Sean Cronin 49
    Ian Keatley 4

When you look at it like that it puts a big dent in the argument that some people make about there being movement both ways, I'm looking at you Liam "2 way street" Toland

A really interesting statistic, that I haven't seen done properly would be 'International Caps earned whilst at club'.

I imagine we'd see some very odd looking figures (Toulon would be quite low compared to their 'Total International Caps' stat).

It would be a decent proxy for clubs abilities to foster players, keep them in shape and keep them playing good rugby.

Dragons vs Connacht
    Referee: David Wilkinson (IRFU. 39th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Dan Jones, Simon Rees (both WRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Jeff Mark (WRU)

Some training pictures are up on the Facebook. Quinn Roux and Niyi are back in with the main group it appears. Robb and Conor McKeown also feature.

Can't believe it's not on tele what's the point of the Thursday night match so????

Can't believe it's not on tele what's the point of the Thursday night match so????

Tis annoying alright, I guess tv companies are limited to x games and dragons connacht wasn't likely to get a big enough audience to pick it? But given the lack of live sport except golf on a Thursday night, thought someone might take a chance.

Thursday match helps us more than Dragons is the only upside I suppose.

• Advertisement

Some training pictures are up on the Facebook. Quinn Roux and Niyi are back in with the main group it appears. Robb and Conor McKeown also feature.

Conan O'Donnell aswell - maybe Finlay is not released by Ireland and Conan will be on bench?
    Blade and Ronaldson wearing same color bibs so hears hoping they're the half back pairing

Great to see Roux back

Roux wearing white socks - in that mud! I'd say he's still just getting back running and was probably training on the artificial surface, not on the pitch the rest were on. His socks looked spotless :D

Great to have Quinny back, will be massively important for us

I can't see why Finlay wouldn't be realeased, now Ross and Healy are on their ways.

So main question IMO is

1) Ronaldson/Robb/Aki
    2) Ronaldson/Aki/Parata
    3) McGinty/Ronaldson/Aki

opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

1) Ronaldson/Robb/Aki
    2) Ronaldson/Aki/Parata
    3) McGinty/Ronaldson/Aki

I wouldn't have a major issue if any of those three lined out.
    We really have a great squad at the moment. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I can't see why Finlay wouldn't be realeased, now Ross and Healy are on their ways.

So main question IMO is

1) Ronaldson/Robb/Aki
    2) Ronaldson/Aki/Parata
    3) McGinty/Ronaldson/Aki

opinion?

Option 2 for me but that assumes Healey is fit. If not I'd have Parata on the wing with Robb in the Center. I really want to see Ronaldson given a go at 10.

Dragons full back Meyer cited for incident in Ulster game, doesn't seem to have been date set so not sure how his availability this week will be affected?

Fixtures are out, this weeks game is the last one that won't be televised with the potential exception of the last day
    http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/connacht/fixtures.php#oIsmR1j768qCpCju.97

Reading Dragons forum there apparently they requested Thursday night fixture. Wasn't very clear for someone without local knowledge but I think Rodney Parade may have other uses at weekends which frequently causes pitch issues.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Reading Dragons forum there apparently they requested Thursday night fixture. Wasn't very clear for someone without local knowledge but I think Rodney Parade may have other uses at weekends which frequently causes pitch issues.

I think tv coverage can affect attendances also, which may have influenced their decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement