Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Leinster on Saturday 26th at 5.15pm
    Doesn't clash with closed pubs on the Good Friday thank feck

Ulster away on April 1st at 7.35
    Munster home on April 16 7.15
    Treviso Away on April 29 7.30
    Glasgow home on May 7th 3.00

All on tv bar Glasgow (understandably which games broadcast hasn't been decided yet for final round)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Zzippy wrote: »
    I think tv coverage can affect attendances also, which may have influenced their decision.

Yeah I think that's the reasoning behind the whole no 3pm games televised in the EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Reading Dragons forum there apparently they requested Thursday night fixture. Wasn't very clear for someone without local knowledge but I think Rodney Parade may have other uses at weekends which frequently causes pitch issues.
    Dragons share Rodney Parade with Newport County FC who have a home game scheduled for Saturday. Don't know why Sunday cant be used though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Dragons share Rodney Parade with Newport County FC who have a home game scheduled for Saturday. Don't know why Sunday cant be used though..

Maybe they don't want to go head to head with the Six Nations? Don't think there's any perfect solution really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

connachta wrote: »
    I can't see why Finlay wouldn't be realeased, now Ross and Healy are on their ways.

So main question IMO is

1) Ronaldson/Robb/Aki
    2) Ronaldson/Aki/Parata
    3) McGinty/Ronaldson/Aki

opinion?

Got to be option 2 Aki thrives in the tight spaces at 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I can't see why Finlay wouldn't be realeased, now Ross and Healy are on their ways.

So main question IMO is

1) Ronaldson/Robb/Aki
    2) Ronaldson/Aki/Parata
    3) McGinty/Ronaldson/Aki

opinion?

I have doubts about whether Healy will be playing on Thursday so I'd say Parata might be out on the wing. If that's the case I'd rather option 1 myself but I think it's more likely we'll see option 3 with Shane O'Leary? on the bench. If any of the above 3 is a viable option I'd probably think something like 1=2>3.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I have doubts about whether Healy will be playing on Thursday so I'd say Parata might be out on the wing. If that's the case I'd rather option 1 myself but I think it's more likely we'll see option 3 with Shane O'Leary? on the bench. If any of the above 3 is a viable option I'd probably think something like 1=2>3.

If you're a believer in bib theory then it looks like Healy should be playing

INPHO_01016648.jpg

b.gud wrote: »
    If you're a believer in bib theory then it looks like Healy should be playing

INPHO_01016648.jpg

Of course I was forgetting that they were off at the weekend so he's had slightly longer to recover, but usually I thought it was fairly rare to see a return after a concussion of 2 weeks(I think that's somewhere around the minimum?)

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Dragons full back Meyer cited for incident in Ulster game, doesn't seem to have been date set so not sure how his availability this week will be affected?

He's been cleared to play

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/697116735611105280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Option 2 for me but that assumes Healey is fit. If not I'd have Parata on the wing with Robb in the Center. I really want to see Ronaldson given a go at 10.
    Would suspect based on pats history we are looking at aj at 10 with bundee and Craig at centre. Indeed Joe insists on Robbie and Payne at centre for Ireland when the punter would see merit in Payne at full back and McCloskey with Robbie in the centre.

So, while I may not go with theses choices these coaches are quality coaches for a reason. If that's how they see it then it must be how it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Would suspect based on pats history we are looking at aj at 10 with bundee and Craig at centre. Indeed Joe insists on Robbie and Payne at centre for Ireland when the punter would see merit in Payne at full back and McCloskey with Robbie in the centre.

So, while I may not go with theses choices these coaches are quality coaches for a reason. If that's how they see it then it must be how it should be.

Good strategic move, now you can say in the future either "best coach ever" or "wasn't my own choice" according to the result:p

Good strategic move, now you can say in the future either "best coach ever" or "wasn't my own choice" according to the result:p

Nope, pat has happily proven me consistently wrong. No further objections to his selections. He knows better. I know little☺

Nope, pat has happily proven me consistently wrong. No further objections to his selections. He knows better. I know little☺

No worry, it's winter, you should be a little sick. If it continues like that, I'll ask for a ban within 10 days. WE WANT OUR OUNCER BACK:D

No worry, it's winter, you should be a little sick. If it continues like that, I'll ask for a ban within 10 days. WE WANT OUR OUNCER BACK:D
    After McFadden being called up in front of gilroy I simply know nothing. I'm so baffled I could say i'm dumbfounded. If Healy replaces white then i'm going to the badminton section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

There are positives to the Thursday night game. We are first up, get our result and we can build the pressure on the others in a weekend where 6 of the teams battling with us for the Top 6 are playing each other. Also Dragons had the game last Friday so the quick turnaround doesn't help them. Although it still is a fairly standard 6 day turnaround they have had a good run of games in succession at this stage. Also it gives us 9 days before Zebre.

In the last round we just had to beat Scarlets at home and I think that while Thursday isn't as necessary a win it would put us in a fantastic position if we do win. If we win here I'd be very confident we'd get at a minimum Top 6. Lose and our room for error disappears and there is extra pressure heaped on the Ospreys game in particular which even minus their Welsh players is going to be very tough.

Given the conditions, this will be a game that involves a lot of playing for territory. It's likely to be tight. Listening to Rob Murphy on the radio when a Connacht game is tight doesn't do the heart any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Duplicate Post - Please Remove

Oh PLEASE do it, Billysaysno, go to badminton forum! Stay here too, but that's just I'd looove to see how they react over there!

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Danie Poolman
    13 Bundee Aki
    12 Craig Ronaldson
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Caolin Blade

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Rodney Ah You
    4 George Naoupu
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 John Muldoon (captain)
    7 Jake Heenan
    8 Eoghan Masterson

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 Finlay Bealham
    19 Ultan Dillane
    20 Eoin McKeon
    21 Kieran Marmion
    22 Peter Robb
    23 Rory Parata

Disappointed to see Keiran released from the Irish squad

b.gud wrote: »
    Disappointed to se Keiran released from the Irish squad

Shame to see Dillane and Marmion on bench alright - means they won't be involved in Paris :( (and Bealham but he was rarely likely to be involved anyway)

Lam really likes and trusts the Ronaldson and Aki centre partnership - just hope kickers bring their boots!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Shame to see Dillane and Marmion on bench alright - means they won't be involved in Paris :( (and Bealham but he was rarely likely to be involved anyway)

Lam really likes and trusts the Ronaldson and Aki centre partnership - just hope kickers bring their boots!
    State of their pitch recently, it's going to be an evening for playing for territory. Rodney may be the smarter choice as well if conditions underfoot are bad.

• Advertisement

Marmion dropped from the Irish team after not getting off the bench last weekend is a noggin scratcher. Maybe Joe intends to rotate them back and forth so they can get some game time during the 6 nations and keep them sharp?

AJ at 10 and Ronaldson at 12 isn't shocking, Pat's fond of the Ronaldson Aki partnership and he always seems to back his chosen out halves.

Will this be on any radio stations?

Robbo wrote: »
    State of their pitch recently, it's going to be an evening for playing for territory. Rodney may be the smarter choice as well if conditions underfoot are bad.

Aye Rodney Parade looks like it recently held the Ploughing Championship

Bazzo wrote: »
    Marmion dropped from the Irish team after not getting off the bench last weekend is a noggin scratcher. Maybe Joe intends to rotate them back and forth so they can get some game time during the 6 nations and keep them sharp?

AJ at 10 and Ronaldson at 12 isn't shocking, Pat's fond of the Ronaldson Aki partnership and he always seems to back his chosen out halves.

Will this be on any radio stations?

Rob Murphy is gonna be commentating on Galway Bay Fm

Dragons team

Carl Meyer, Ashton Hewitt, Adam Hughes, Adam Warren, Nick Scott, Jason Tovey, Sarel Pretorius; Phil Price, Elliot Dee, Brok Harris, Matthew Screech, Rynard Landman ©, Ben White, Nic Cudd, Nick Crosswell.

Replacements: Rhys Buckley, Boris Stankovich, Shaun Knight, Cory Hill, James Benjamin, Charlie Davies, Angus O’Brien, Geraint Rhys Jones.

feckin double posts, seriously boards can you sort this out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Disappointing for Marmion and Dillane but on the plus side that bench is very strong, all capable of coming on and making an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Has Marmion been released for the full six nations or just for this game? I presume because the game was so tight he was not used on Sunday but it's rare these days for a scrum-half to play the full 80 minutes.

eezipc wrote: »
    Has Marmion been released for the full six nations or just for this game? I presume because the game was so tight he was not used on Sunday but it's rare these days for a scrum-half to play the full 80 minutes.
    Just this game. He will be added in again for the week leading up to England...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Just this game. He will be added in again for the week leading up to England...

Is this game on tv ?

• Advertisement

gally74 wrote: »
    Is this game on tv?
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The next two games are must wins for Connacht. The run-in is pretty tough.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/connacht/fixtures.php#v4lai1Sk2A2TwQiK.97

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The next two games are must wins for Connacht. The run-in is pretty tough.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/connacht/fixtures.php#v4lai1Sk2A2TwQiK.97

Glasgow, Munster, Leinster, Ospreys at home is much more appeasing than going away and then we have to go away to Zebre and Treviso. Really don't fear anyone at home. I think that's pretty good.

fully agree, Dragons away is tougher than deplected Ospreys and Munster home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Would echo the sentiments of many here, and espeically after watching the Dragons against Ulster last Friday, this will be a very tough game. They are coming into this in serious form and are at virtually full strength. If we manage a win here it'll be one of our best wins of the season.

Having said that we're not playing badly ourselves again and we have a decent team available and a very strong bench to compliment it. I've been a massive critic of his at time but I do think Jack is a fair stretch better than AJ and he would have been coming into this game on the back of one of his best performances of the season.

The main thing a win would probably bring us here is a bit of breathing space, I think it was absolutely vital that starting with the Scarlets game that we won 3 of our following 4 games. Obviously the Scarlets one is in the bag now so need at least 2 from 3 (and hopefully 2 bonus points too) against Dragons, Zebre and Ospreys.

We definitely can win but I think a losing bonus (provided we don't give the game away totally) wouldn't be the end of the world tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Would echo the sentiments of many here, and espeically after watching the Dragons against Ulster last Friday, this will be a very tough game. They are coming into this in serious form and are at virtually full strength. If we manage a win here it'll be one of our best wins of the season.

Having said that we're not playing badly ourselves again and we have a decent team available and a very strong bench to compliment it. I've been a massive critic of his at time but I do think Jack is a fair stretch better than AJ and he would have been coming into this game on the back of one of his best performances of the season.

The main thing a win would probably bring us here is a bit of breathing space, I think it was absolutely vital that starting with the Scarlets game that we won 3 of our following 4 games. Obviously the Scarlets one is in the bag now so need at least 2 from 3 (and hopefully 2 bonus points too) against Dragons, Zebre and Ospreys.

We definitely can win but I think a losing bonus (provided we don't give the game away totally) wouldn't be the end of the world tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Looking at buying tickets for the Connacht/Leinster game on Mar 25th for 4 adults and 6 kids (youngest is 5). Which are the best seats in the Sportsground for families with young kids? The Clan Terrace is sold out. Thanks.

madds wrote: »
    Looking at buying tickets for the Connacht/Leinster game on Mar 25th for 4 adults and 6 kids (youngest is 5). Which are the best seats in the Sportsground for families with young kids? The Clan Terrace is sold out. Thanks.

Main Stand Terrace?
    I've said its before but it's situations like this that the Sportsground could do with a Seated Stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

madds wrote: »

The only seats are in the enclosed section (behind the glass upstairs). A lot of families go behind the goal line at either end as the view is less restricted for kids with no one standing in front of them. Only problem is if when it rains...

its a strong connacht team. its a strong dragons team. jack and aj both bring different qualities to the team. as another critic of jacks i would say that he has been the stronger of the two out halfs this year. mcgintys goal kicking has been very poor but with craig available that shouldnt be a problem. what aj does bring to the game is that he uses the backline well so he encourages a running game. however what has been pointed out is that the pitch will be a bog. so its likely to be a bit of a slogfest rather than an open exciting game. these types of games can go either way. hopefully the welsh weather was similar to the irish weather today and remains the same for tomorrow. if so there is hope that aj can shift the ball around the place. my opinion is a BP win if weather holds. If not then as I say its in the balance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Pics up of Connacht doing their captain's run in the Arms Park.....the Dragons pitch must be absolutely wrecked!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

S12b wrote: »
    Pics up of Connacht doing their captain's run in the Arms Park.....the Dragons pitch must be absolutely wrecked!!

it was a mess when leinster played there 2 weeks ago

its a strange thing but as times go on i look at this team and think wow. if there was a weak link its at 10. most every other player simply picks themselves. and the reserves ain't shoddy.

forgot to mention, absolutely try of the season (and it has only started) to george's wife in the womens international. george, your kids will go down in irish history

its a strange thing but as times go on i look at this team and think wow. if there was a weak link its at 10. most every other player simply picks themselves. and the reserves ain't shoddy.

forgot to mention, absolutely try of the season (and it has only started) to george's wife in the womens international. george, your kids will go down in irish history

and while it has taken me an age i have finally nailed what bugs me about henshaw. on the international stage he is simply very damm good. so whats wrong with connacht. shouldnt he be extra good. and thats it. robbie feels he needs to be extra good. so rather than playing team rugby he is playing robbie rugby.

If you take the international game last weekend he passed, took possession, and used players around him well. Maybe he doesn't thinks so highly of his connacht counterparts. His game is so different for connacht it is bemusing

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

and while it has taken me an age i have finally nailed what bugs me about henshaw. on the international stage he is simply very damm good. so whats wrong with connacht. shouldnt he be extra good. and thats it. robbie feels he needs to be extra good. so rather than playing team rugby he is playing robbie rugby.

If you take the international game last weekend he passed, took possession, and used players around him well. Maybe he doesn't thinks so highly of his connacht counterparts. His game is so different for connacht it is bemusing

I know I shouldn't go for the bait but what???

hermano wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't go for the bait but what???
    hermano, your safe. its taken we a while to understand the henshaw performance but i finally get it. and i appreciate the problem. he is our only first choice international. when you sit back into an ordinary team (connacht are not ordinary, but i suggest that connacht are ordinary in comparison to ireland) it is hard for you to play rugby on the same wavelength to this ordinary team?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

hermano, your safe. its taken we a while to understand the henshaw performance but i finally get it. and i appreciate the problem. he is our only first choice international. when you sit back into an ordinary team (connacht are not ordinary, but i suggest that connacht are ordinary in comparison to ireland) it is hard for you to play rugby on the same wavelength to this ordinary team?

Ah here Ouncer. He is just as good for Connacht as Ireland. That offload to Bundee v Munster showed he is on the same wavelength as "this ordinary team".

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Is the Connacht game on Galwaybayfm?

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Is the Connacht game on Galwaybayfm?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Any rumoured signings for next season?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement