Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

aimee1 wrote: »
    Leinster are doing nicely. A season with disruption and the 20 internationals who missed pre season with new coaching ticket. And right up there

Cruised through their European group too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

so ulster and connacht at top of table. and in truth the two best teams in the league. so while leinster represent our effort at the 6n we are afforded our opportunity. so if joe wants what joe wants we take advantage. AJ, hit the feckin line. God knows Jack drove me nuts on this. munster cant even sign a player these days. What is going on down south? So they no longer rate. Its a 3 province situation but munster will likely lose against ospreys and glasgow over the next two weeks. Its a sad state of affairs for our friends
    Your attitude is putting people off Connacht Ouncer. You've done this before, rebooted, done it again and rebooted again.

Do you think you might learn in one of your reincarnations? After all that's supposed to be its purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Cruised through their European group too.

A few poor performances against some tough teams with a squad with the highest numbers away at rwc. Its not been perfect but pro12 has been very good. Look at the table. Leinster have had half the squad missing for half the season at least but are 1 point off top. They went into europe with a new coaching team and brought 20 players back in a few weeks prior to europe.

The context is vital to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Your attitude is putting people off Connacht Ouncer. You've done this before, rebooted, done it again and rebooted again.

Do you think you might learn in one of your reincarnations? After all that's supposed to be its purpose.

You are correct. I piss people off on the munster thread. What right have I to shove in on somebody's elses thread and give an opinion which is primarily negative. What right have I to hop into the leinster thread and give a negative opinion. I just should stick to connacht. Thomand2006 got it right. And then there are others who should learn the lesson also. Or should we reboot?

aimee1 wrote: »
    A few poor performances against some tough teams with a squad with the highest numbers away at rwc. Its not been perfect but pro12 has been very good. Look at the table. Leinster have had half the squad missing for half the season at least but are 1 point off top. They went into europe with a new coaching team and brought 20 players back in a few weeks prior to europe.

The context is vital to understand.

Ah ya I'm only messing, sure we've never even qualified for it on our own merit. I fully expect Leinster to still finish above us despite the fact they were missing the guts of 20 of their best players for probably half the season. Which just shows that while we're improving we still have a long way to go.

Wasn't mentioned on here but was that a good result for us last night with Ulster beating Glasgow? Probably slightly increases our chance of top 6 and slightly decreases our chance of top 4. Ulster have eeked out 8 points from their last 2 home games when they easily could have lost both and been 6 points worse off.

Suppose it probably is a good result for us in that top 6 is the primary goal. We are now 15 points ahead of Glasgow and the Ospreys with both of them still to come at home so if we blow that then we just don't deserve a seat at Europe's top table, simple as.

Wasn't mentioned on here but was that a good result for us last night with Ulster beating Glasgow? Probably slightly increases our chance of top 6 and slightly decreases our chance of top 4. Ulster have eeked out 8 points from their last 2 home games when they easily could have lost both and been 6 points worse off.

Suppose it probably is a good result for us in that top 6 is the primary goal. We are now 15 points ahead of Glasgow and the Ospreys with both of them still to come at home so if we blow that then we just don't deserve a seat at Europe's top table, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really think Connacht should be aiming for a top 4 finish and not worrying about the top 6 yet. The focus should really be on winning all your own games rather than worrying about other results. Connacht should develop a leading mindset rather than a chasing mindset.

Failing a top-4 finish, I think the real big contest could be Connacht v Munster in the Sportsground on April 16th. Keeping Munster out of the top 5 is Connacht's best hope for qualification IMO (as it looks like Ulster/Leinster will be top 4 teams and the top Welsh/Scottish side will qualify regardless of whether Connacht beat them or not).

Of course there's always the Challenge Cup to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Let me say again (I'm an Ulster fan BTW) that Connacht should finish in the top 4. Zebre (hammered by Leinster) should be 5 points next week, then a weakened Ospreys at home and think of 5 points here not 4. Also remember that 2 of remaining Irish derbies are at home and Bob's your uncle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Failing a top-4 finish, I think the real big contest could be Connacht v Munster in the Sportsground on April 16th. Keeping Munster out of the top 5 is Connacht's best hope for qualification IMO (as it looks like Ulster/Leinster will be top 4 teams and the top Welsh/Scottish side will qualify regardless of whether Connacht beat them or not).

Of course there's always the Challenge Cup to win!

60 points has been enough to qualify in previous years. Connacht have 45 already and games against Zebre and Treviso to come. At this stage, barring an upset in one of those two games (which would be criminal) Connacht probably only need to win one more game to qualify for the Champions Cup and they will have six games, four at home, to find the win.

So, while the Munster game will be huge, I think it will be more so with a view towards qualifying for the playoffs as both teams will have plenty of other chances to make the Champions Cup in addition to that game. If Connacht can get 9 points from the next two games (a weakened Zebre away and a weakened Ospreys at home) - not easy but possible, it could be pretty much job done in terms of the Champions Cup qualification by the end of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

If Connacht can get 9 points from the next two games (a weakened Zebre away and a weakened Ospreys at home) - not easy but possible, it could be pretty much job done in terms of the Champions Cup qualification by the end of February.

Yeah That's what I'd say earlier. But those two could be the "easiest". After them it will be interpros, away games and Glasgow, who were good with their B team in their two last away games.

THAT'S GETTING BETTER AND BETTER

Muldoon 16 tackles 1 missed
    Muldowney 13 0
    McCartney same as above
    Heenan 14 1
    Masterson 12 0
    Dillane 9 0 (within 25 minutes)

Those 6 did more than half of the total

overall tacking rate 93%!!!!!! Finally we are above 90%!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Dillane made 9 tackles in 25 minutes? ****in hell.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Dillane made 9 tackles in 25 minutes? ****in hell.

Those 6 are our spinal cord for tackling
    Buckley for scrum and turnover
    Healy for tries
    Ronaldson to kick
    Aki/Henshaw to attack
    European champion next year
    simple as

connachta wrote: »
    Those 6 are our spinal cord for tackling
    Buckley for scrum and turnover
    Healy for tries
    Ronaldson to kick
    Aki/Henshaw to attack
    European champion next year
    simple as

Henshaw is another usual suspect for a mountain of tackles.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Henshaw is another usual suspect for a mountain of tackles.

yeah, he's international, so everywhere!
    AhYou had a nightmare though, Bealham is a better tackler

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Aaaaaaand Treviso get off the mark for the season finally, beating Glasgow which keeps them from making any ground on the bunch in 1-6. Looks like Dan McFarland is taking them down from the inside.

If Munster beat the Sprays as well tomorrow, it stops them from getting close to the Pro12 elite squadron, of which we are now a fully paid up member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Robbo wrote: »
    Aaaaaaand Treviso get off the mark for the season finally, beating Glasgow which keeps them from making any ground on the bunch in 1-6. Looks like Dan McFarland is taking them down from the inside.

If Munster beat the Sprays as well tomorrow, it stops them from getting close to the Pro12 elite squadron, of which we are now a fully paid up member.

You mean Cardiff.

Would have much preferred if it was Glasgow but that result might at least take Cardiff out of the reckoning, they've a lot of home games in their run in but are a long way back in the table.

• Advertisement

I see a few tweets flying around this evening saying that the Henshaw deal is done and he'll be a Leinster player next season. Has possibly taken a Leinster contract to go to Leinster and turned down a central contract to stay at Connacht.

One thing is clear from all this if the rumours are true - rather than being pushed there as might have happened to players in the past, Robbie really wanted to go to Leinster and seems to have forced the move himself.

Go henshaw.

We only have Robb, parata, Finn, aki, ronaldson (mcsharry seems unlikely) with poolman just in case. We're stuffed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I see a few tweets flying around this evening saying that the Henshaw deal is done and he'll be a Leinster player next season. Has possibly taken a Leinster contract to go to Leinster and turned down a central contract to stay at Connacht.

I'd be highly highly doubtful that the above re contracts is true. If he was going to be on a central contract in connacht I find it hard to believe the irfu pulled it if he chose leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Henshaw will be on a central contract regardless of where he's playing next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I've resigned myself to losing henshaw. The chatter from connacht is too quite.

Its time to concentrate on some others the likes of Dillane. Who is being watched by Munster even though they didn't want him a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Go henshaw.

Go billysays no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Connacht Rugby can confirm that Robbie Henshaw will not be extending his contract with the province beyond this season.

Commenting on the news Pat Lam said “Obviously we are disappointed with the ultimate outcome of our negotiations with Robbie, however, we respect the decision he has made and wish him all the best with the Irish team into the future.”

Commenting on his decision Robbie said;

“I would like to thank everyone involved in Connacht Rugby who has played a part in getting me to where I am today, from my club, Buccaneers, to my school, Marist College and all of the coaching staff in Connacht Rugby itself.

“I was fortunate to be given my chance to play pro rugby at just 19 years of age and it’s been an incredible journey over the past four seasons, culminating in my breakthrough onto the national team.

“I also want to thank the Connacht fans who have always been so supportive of not just me but the team as a whole.

“Connacht Rugby are sitting in a strong position both in the PRO12 and Challenge Cup and I am determined to play my part to ensure we finish the season out on a high.”

I'm glad it is sorted but anouncing it on Valentines Day is rather heartbreaking though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Disappointing but he has contributed little to Connacht's success this season anyway aside from Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

ki wrote:
    Its time to concentrate on some others the likes of Dillane. Who is being watched by Munster even though they didn't want him a few years ago.

I don't see the problem with that, if the shoe was on the other foot I'm sure Connacht would be eager to take him back.
    He should have been offered the full academy place at Munster though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Disappointing but he has contributed little to Connacht's success this season anyway aside from Thomond.

I was going to ask, Connacht have spent most of this season without him anyway so will it really be that big a loss?

So long Robbie, thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I was going to ask, Connacht have spent most of this season without him anyway so will it really be that big a loss?

Losing an international player who would be a leader in the squad? A player who would have played a huge part in Connacht marketing strategies. Of course it's a huge loss. I wish him the best. And hope before he goes we get a trophy out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

It's a loss since we now don't have a star international in the camp. If he stayed it would be massive for the academy and younger lads.

'Train hard, get into the academy, play for Connacht, play for Ireland'

^ now unfortunately we have to add 'leave for Leinster to further your career'

I don't blame Henshaw at all. All the best to him and hopefully Connacht prove him wrong

Ah yeah it's a huge loss, he'd have been available a lot more next season and would have been a huge asset in the Champions Cup if Connacht go on from here to qualify for it.

But it also sends out the message that Connacht remains the feeder team in Irish rugby. If Henshaw had been from any of the other provinces he wouldn't have been going anywhere, it's just because he's from Connacht that all this has happened.

If a home grown player doesn't want to stick around what hope is there of keeping Marmion, Dillane or any of the other young players - many from outside the province that were given a second chance by Connacht when turned down by their own local teams in Ireland or elsewhere - from going to another province.

I think we may see an exodus of quality young talent from the province in the next few years. In the mean time all we can hope is that Henshaw's wages can be well spent by the province. However, given that it was likely to have been a central contract had he stayed, Connacht might not even have that consolation to look forward to.

As for Leinster - with the playing numbers they have and the financial clout they have behind them they should have no need to be cherry picking talent from other provinces. I suppose it's just a sign of how poorly they're managing their massive resources. Then again, if it hadn't been them it would have been someone else, Henshaw clearly wanted out of Connacht regardless.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I saw this elsewhere, from a few months ago, where there was a lot of wishful thinking of him going to Munster.

We all knew this was coming. What I'm most concerned about now is the financial aspect. The biggest chance we had at a centrally contracted player will now be centrally contracted elsewhere. In fact, Leinster will benefit on the double with Teo being off the payroll.

I'm going to assume that Ronaldson will be further cemented as a centre as a result and we're actually going to need to look at our options at 10 as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

He was always going to leave when teo was announced to be leaving Leinster. Connacht are going places, if they can keep up their current form into next season, the mindset of a feeder region will disappear..

Robbo wrote: »
    I saw this elsewhere, from a few months ago, where there was a lot of wishful thinking of him going to Munster.

We all knew this was coming. What I'm most concerned about now is the financial aspect. The biggest chance we had at a centrally contracted player will now be centrally contracted elsewhere. In fact, Leinster will benefit on the double with Teo being off the payroll.

I'm going to assume that Ronaldson will be further cemented as a centre as a result and we're actually going to need to look at our options at 10 as a consequence.

I would say we could use the money freed up with Robbie's departure to try and buy in a decent 10 but

a) It actually probably isn't even that much seeing as he signed this contract when he was what, 19?
    b) It'll probably be mostly swallowed up trying to retain senior players

Also, I'm sure there's some copy-paste intern out there looking for the saltiest Connacht fan reactions to this announcement to put into a listicle on the42/balls.ie/benchwarmers or Rugby CancerBanter.

Be pure, be vigilant, behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm disappointed at the news. For Team Ireland it would have been better for Henshaw to remain West. I'll say it again, a fair option for all parties IMO would have been a long term deal with Connacht that had an 'out' if they didn't qualify for Europe. Oh well. Connacht have already signed Eoin Griffin and if he gets back to his previous form and stay fit then Connacht will have a good replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Good luck to him, he has served his time and done us proud. It is disappointing but not the terminal blow it would have been a couple of years ago.
    I still done understand the big draw of Leinster.... Would I not make sense to stay for another year and build up the relationship with Aki...
    Anyways job done and decision made, let's hope (without malice) that Connacht progress to heights that will make him regret his decision every day :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As a Leinster fan I would still rather see him remain at Connacht.

Good luck to him, he has served his time and done us proud.

The days of serving your time with Connacht should be long over, should be an aspiration these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As a Leinster fan I would still rather see him remain at Connacht.

The days of serving your time with Connacht should be long over, should be an aspiration these days.

I think you took my comment totally out of context....and applied another context that I did not infer or mean....
    I meant that he has worked hard and given 100% and should be allowed go wherever he wants, nothing more...
    I too would prefer he stayed...

ThisRegard wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think that's what he meant

Munster are bull****, just lost home :/ No way they get Dillane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Don't worry, we're stocked with locks. We don't need Dillane.

highlights on tg4 there of Dragons game
    some nice tries gotta say

highlights on tg4 there of Dragons game
    some nice tries gotta say

Coming out with statements like this a bit of a dangerous game Connachta, it's not too long ago that Connacht were one of the pro 12 whipping boys.

I understand you don't want to see Dillane go but ultimately players will stay when they start to notice that Connacht are winning more than they're losing these days and they may be in with a chance of some medals if they stay.

How they're treated will also play a factor but I'm pretty sure the lads are treated fairly welll

I don't see Dillane going anywhere just yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

There's a bigger chance of Munster not making top 6 than there is of connacht not making European cup next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement