Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Good luck to him, he has served his time and done us proud. It is disappointing but not the terminal blow it would have been a couple of years ago.
    I still done understand the big draw of Leinster.... Would I not make sense to stay for another year and build up the relationship with Aki...
    Anyways job done and decision made, let's hope (without malice) that Connacht progress to heights that will make him regret his decision every day :-)

Girlfriend in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I can't decide whether the Ospreys win tonight was a help or a hindrance to Connacht. It probably depends whether we can beat them in a couple of weeks time. If we don't win that one they'll be right back in the mix though.
    gally74 wrote: »
    Girlfriend in Dublin

Can she not find the train station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think you took my comment totally out of context....and applied another context that I did not infer or mean....
    I meant that he has worked hard and given 100% and should be allowed go wherever he wants, nothing more...
    I too would prefer he stayed...

In fairness to you, I did take you out of context, well more so misunderstood where you were coming from. Pity to see him leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

With the Eoin Griffin return and the development of Parata and Robb in the centre and with Conor Finn hopefully to return at some point (I have my doubts about mcsharry) and with Aki and Ronaldson we do have cover in the centre. I would say his leaving leaves an issue at fullback though. We will need either a current team member to step-up to cover injuries or we will need to buy in. Its not good enough to have darragh injured and be crossing your fingers hoping TOH doesn't get injured. I know Matt has stepped in but he didn't really look the part. You just don't step off the wing where you have a specific job to do and fall into the fullback position where you are expected to read the game, direct players into position and ensure gaps are closed down. Of all the players I've seen this year who could be versatile enough to cover different areas its Parata. I wouldn't mind him getting a run at full back against zebre (towards the end of the game and assuming it is already won) so he can get a perspective on the requirements of the position.

As for Robbie, I think he may be in for a shock at Leinster. Where there is a family culture about the connacht team (clearly seen from all the different videos of our trip to russia) I'm not so sure that is true in Leinster. Pat is not only a good coach, he is a good people person, good at building bonds with the supporters, within the player group and with the support staff.

With the Eoin Griffin return and the development of Parata and Robb in the centre and with Conor Finn hopefully to return at some point (I have my doubts about mcsharry) and with Aki and Ronaldson we do have cover in the centre. I would say his leaving leaves an issue at fullback though. We will need either a current team member to step-up to cover injuries or we will need to buy in. Its not good enough to have darragh injured and be crossing your fingers hoping TOH doesn't get injured. I know Matt has stepped in but he didn't really look the part. You just don't step off the wing where you have a specific job to do and fall into the fullback position where you are expected to read the game, direct players into position and ensure gaps are closed down. Of all the players I've seen this year who could be versatile enough to cover different areas its Parata. I wouldn't mind him getting a run at full back against zebre (towards the end of the game and assuming it is already won) so he can get a perspective on the requirements of the position.

As for Robbie, I think he may be in for a shock at Leinster. Where there is a family culture about the connacht team (clearly seen from all the different videos of our trip to russia) I'm not so sure that is true in Leinster. Pat is not only a good coach, he is a good people person, good at building bonds with the supporters, within the player group and with the support staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ThisRegard wrote: »
    In fairness to you, I did take you out of context, well more so misunderstood where you were coming from. Pity to see him leave.

Thanks, easy to misunderstand..... obviously disappointed... however all things in consideration, we knew this was coming, but at the same time, we have a great 13 rejoining us next season, and we have probably the best 12 and FB in the country, it could be much worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

wp_rathead wrote: »

The forwards left Blade completely unprotected for that charge down. He should have noticed it himself and gone for another option, but the blame is split. What's worrying is that's the third or fourth time I've noticed in a match this season that the pack are leaving the scrummie a bit exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    The forwards left Blade completely unprotected for that charge down. He should have noticed it himself and gone for another option, but the blame is split. What's worrying is that's the third or fourth time I've noticed in a match this season that the pack are leaving the scrummie a bit exposed.

Would it not be the scrum halves job to shout at them to make sure they're there as protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Will we see any movement from Leinster out west now that it's been announced? Reid maybe? Small consolation.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Would it not be the scrum halves job to shout at them to make sure they're there as protection?

Well yeah, like I said he should have noticed that himself and it's always nice to have someone marshalling players around like that but they shouldn't have to be told what to do 100% of the time. It's not just with Blade either, Marmion was definitely left exposed a few times earlier in the season(not just for box kicks) and it can lead to panicy sloppy ball coming out of the ruck because the scum half is usually just trying to get rid of the ball ASAP to avoid losing possession.
    macslash wrote: »
    Will we see any movement from Leinster out west now that it's been announced? Reid maybe? Small consolation.

Reid isn't any better than Griffin, Aki, Parata, Robb and probably not even Finn. He's a decent attacking threat but he's a bit of turnstyle defensively. It would be a bit of wasted move, he's actually probably needed more for depth at Leinster. I don't think it's a "swap" situation, if players at Leinster feel their interests will be better served at Connacht they'll come, if not they won't.

Truth we really don't need reid. Now all know I'm not a robbie fan, but the news today was a bit annoying. In years past I wished fionn and macca well as they went off to progress at the next level at leinster. But today we have reached that level. Maybe we are not exactly equal but we are cutting it close to that point. So for robbie to decide that we are not enough is his choice. There will be many kids gutted by his decision. They look forward to him at the sportsground. So I will not be petty and say nasty things, but i think he has made a poor choice. I know he's only a kid but i would have hoped folks around him could have given him better advice. Example why does everybody love Paul O'Connell. Answer he always gave everything and was always loyal. Robbie, you do not meet these qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Paul O Connell signed a 2 year contract with Toulon before his unfortunate retirement. A bit too much hyperbole in ^ for my liking

Paul O Connell signed a 2 year contract with Toulon before his unfortunate retirement. A bit too much hyperbole in ^ for my liking
    he well deserved his retirement present. I would be surprised if anybody objected. its just a pity it didn't materialize.

he well deserved his retirement present. I would be surprised if anybody objected. its just a pity it didn't materialize.

So when paulie moves club it's a well deserved "retirement present" but robbie moves to leinster he has no loyalty. He's a young man, Dublin is a great city if your young and have a bit of cash. Fair play to him. Hope he loves it there

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

It was Robbie's choice, I wish him luck. Personally I don't think Leinster suits him.. Where will he play?

I don't think he is a 12 and with McCloskey and Aki coming through the need to pay peter for paul is gone... Robbie's best position is FB so R. Kearney might have issues as the best player in the backline at the moment is Ringrose...

This is a good move for Leinster, They need Wingers now... But they have the players coming together but I don't think there coach is good enough...

As for Connaght, You win some (Aki) and you loose some..

It was Robbie's choice, I wish him luck. Personally I don't think Leinster suits him.. Where will he play?

I don't think he is a 12 and with McCloskey and Aki coming through the need to pay peter for paul is gone... Robbie's best position is FB so R. Kearney might have issues as the best player in the backline at the moment is Ringrose...

This is a good move for Leinster, They need Wingers now... But they have the players coming together but I don't think there coach is good enough...

As for Connaght, You win some (Aki) and you loose some..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I don't see much point in Reid coming West, he'd be a squad player and disappear into the background. I see Munster are pushing hard to being in an overseas 10. I'd be a bit concerned (based on what I've seen of him in the last year) that Keatley might be headed back to Galway before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CowboyTed wrote: »

He'll play 12, one would have to assume. Leinster are very short on centres now. D'Arcy is gone. Madigan and Te'o are leaving. That leaves Noel Reid (talented but extremely inconsistent), Luke Fitzgerald (injury prone and can be utilised on the wing) and Gary Ringrose as the only available centres.

I wouldn't worry too much about wingers. Fitzgerald, Nacewa, Dave Kearney, and Fergus McFadden all fighting it out for those spots and that's before we know if Kirchner is there next season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

Interesting to hear Conor O'Shea on RTE hinting that Henshaw will be payed more in Leinster than in Connacht. I was under the impression that he would have a central contract with the IRFU and would therefore be paid the same irrelevant of which province he chose to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I don't see much point in Reid coming West, he'd be a squad player and disappear into the background. I see Munster are pushing hard to being in an overseas 10. I'd be a bit concerned (based on what I've seen of him in the last year) that Keatley might be headed back to Galway before too long.

I'd welcome back Keatley personally

Also notice Marshall is out of contract with Ulster end of season - himself and Aki in centre would be quality *starts to daydream*

So when paulie moves club it's a well deserved "retirement present" but robbie moves to leinster he has no loyalty. He's a young man, Dublin is a great city if your young and have a bit of cash. Fair play to him. Hope he loves it there
    how can i even connect to that argument. Even Munster fans were happy for POC to get a cash windfall at the end of his career as a loyal Munster player. As for yer man moving to leinster, well off with him. Difference between the person called PAUL O'CONNELL and that other person is integrity, values and most everything else. Off with him.

Also notice Marshall is out of contract with Ulster end of season - himself and Aki in centre would be quality *starts to daydream*

I think if we were to sign a 10 it would have to be a 10 who can kick well. Carty and MacGinty don't struggle with the aspects of the game that Keatley excels at. Signing Keatley would be more of the same tbh, I think I'd actually rather Carty on the pitch as Carty has been noticeably improving over the past couple of years. His territorial kicking has been excellent recently and he gets the back line moving nicely. He may not be the fastest but he's not afraid to take the ball on himself if he sees an opportunity and he makes some breaks because of it.

how can i even connect to that argument. Even Munster fans were happy for POC to get a cash windfall at the end of his career as a loyal Munster player. As for yer man moving to leinster, well off with him. Difference between the person called PAUL O'CONNELL and that other person is integrity, values and most everything else. Off with him.

You forgot pashun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think if we were to sign a 10 it would have to be a 10 who can kick well. Carty and MacGinty don't struggle with the aspects of the game that Keatley excels at. Signing Keatley would be more of the same tbh, I think I'd actually rather Carty on the pitch as Carty has been noticeably improving over the past couple of years. His territorial kicking has been excellent recently and he gets the back line moving nicely. He may not be the fastest but he's not afraid to take the ball on himself if he sees an opportunity and he makes some breaks because of it.

I hate seeing Carty carry into contact, he seems to get isolated and turn over possession more often than he makes a break or recycles the ball. He needs to improve that aspect of his game to pick his moments better, he just takes the wrong option too often

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

cblaix wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Conor O'Shea on RTE hinting that Henshaw will be payed more in Leinster than in Connacht. I was under the impression that he would have a central contract with the IRFU and would therefore be paid the same irrelevant of which province he chose to play for.

You'd be right. If the IRFU told a player they'd pay him more on a central deal but only if he moved, all hell would break loose.

It's also a stipulation with the provinces that they cannot outbid one another on provincial contracts so I don't know what COS is talking about.

Its probably the first time I have disagreed with one of your posts. So then we have three 10s that cant kick. WTF

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What's on the contract and what a player earns are two different things. Leinster are able to tap into a larger pool of side-deal endorsements and the wallets of private benefactors. Nothing wrong with that at all.

It's not out of kindness that Jamie Heaslip has such of a passion for business driven banking solutions at Bank of Ireland and Jonny Sexton can't get enough of that Newstalk vibe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

No Keatley please. Maybe two years ago but he's gone backwards in a way that I'm not sure he can ever get back since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

whatever about Henshaw, Ospreys are our main problem now. We need to beat them home more than ever because of Munster unability, if not top 6 (or 5) is in jeopardy

connachta wrote: »
    whatever about Henshaw, Ospreys are our main problem now. We need to beat them home more than ever because of Munster unability, if not top 6 (or 5) is in jeopardy

For who, Munster? Let's start thinking about winning games to win the league and qualify with a good seeding for CC, not for fear of losing out on everything. No need to be so pessimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Zzippy wrote: »
    For who, Munster? Let's start thinking about winning games to win the league and qualify with a good seeding for CC, not for fear of losing out on everything. No need to be so pessimistic

Yeah, surely Munster losing was exactly the result that Connacht wanted and actually takes the pressure off a bit?

Y'all have to relax with the "this is the most important game of the season" every week and just believe in the team's ability to close it out. Be grand.

Yeah, surely Munster losing was exactly the result that Connacht wanted and actually takes the pressure off a bit?

Y'all have to relax with the "this is the most important game of the season" every week and just believe in the team's ability to close it out. Be grand.
    we understand munsters pain. god knows we have been there enough. and no we do not wish ill on our provincial friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I never enjoy seeing any Irish province losing (except inter pros). I want four Irish provinces to be in the top tier of Europe.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I never enjoy seeing any Irish province losing (except inter pros). I want four Irish provinces to be in the top tier of Europe.
    we understand munsters pain. god knows we have been there enough. and no we do not wish ill on our provincial friends

Ah for f...

FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF CONNACHT SECURING QUALIFICATION FOR NEXT YEAR'S EUROPEAN CUP, a Munster defeat was exactly you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Ah for f...

FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF CONNACHT SECURING QUALIFICATION FOR NEXT YEAR'S EUROPEAN CUP, a Munster defeat was exactly you wanted.

Nope.

It's good for top four but bad for top six.

It opens up a gap for the top four in the tables but brings Ospreys back into the battle for top six.

No Grandiloquence needed. The remaining fixtures are awful for Connacht and easier for any of the other 7 contenders (Embra excepted, maybe). So, I don't by the "be cool and think about top 4" strategy. When we get 58 points I'll be ok. If we have to wait Treviso away and Glasgow home to get them, the nightmare can happen.

Nope.

It's good for top four but bad for top six.

It opens up a gap for the top four in the tables but brings Ospreys back into the battle for top six.

THANK YOUUUUUUUUU

I couldn't give a toss if Munster lose, if the positions were reversed they wouldn't give a hoot about our plight. Of course I'd love to see all four provinces qualify, but if we're competing with another province to qualify or for a better seeding then tough. I'm confident we'll qualify regardless at this stage so it's a matter of winning as many games as possible for a good seeding, not about worrying about Munster who have their own problems to worry about. Munster finishing 6th with Scarlets and Edinburgh above them would do me just fine

No Grandiloquence needed. The remaining fixtures are awful for Connacht and easier for any of the other 7 contenders (Embra excepted, maybe). So, I don't by the "be cool and think about top 4" strategy. When we get 58 points I'll be ok. If we have to wait Treviso away and Glasgow home to get them, the nightmare can happen.

You shouldn't leave the house in the morning... it's not safe out there and you might diieeeeee!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Agreed, 6th in the league by points difference would do us. Munster loosing was bad for us in that respect (not terrible) but it brings the second placed Wales side into it...

Glasgow is the big concern... They have real ability and games in hane to cause problems..

Beating Ospreys at home the next day is crucial... I figure 62 points might be enough...

Munster finishing 6th with Scarlets and Edinburgh above them would do me just fine

Yeah I think it could happen. With Connacht 7th

For me it's simple. Win our two next game against weakened Zebre and Ospreys and we're nearly through, I promise thinking about top 4 then.
    Lose one and we're just in the mix for top 5/6, with horrible games to come

58 points means another 13 required.

Eight games left. Four at home. Two of the away fixtures are Treviso and Zebre, another is Edinburgh.

If Connacht can't get 13 points from those fixtures, well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

We are joint top of the table, probably will be outright top come the end of next weekend, we should not be looking at teams in 6th and 7th, who we have an 8 and 11 point lead over, and worrying about them catching us. It's time to puff out our chests say we've been playing great rugby, and, for potentially the first time ever, we've been playing fairly consistently, lets look forward to knockout rugby in the league and in Europe

Personally the only thing I'm worried about in the upcoming fixtures is the weather, I want some dry games so our backs can continue their exciting play

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Agreed, 6th in the league by points difference would do us. Munster loosing was bad for us in that respect (not terrible) but it brings the second placed Wales side into it...

Glasgow is the big concern... They have real ability and games in hane to cause problems..

Agree but they have to be in the 6, if not that would mean 2 Welsh 4 irish, no Scottish, so only top 5 qualified!!!

You shouldn't leave the house in the morning... it's not safe out there and you might diieeeeee!!!!!!

I didn't leave it this morning anyway :D

58 points means another 13 required.

Eight games left. Four at home. Two of the away fixtures are Treviso and Zebre, another is Edinburgh.

If Connacht can't get 13 points from those fixtures, well...

Embra's getting better. Treviso too, and will get their international guys back for THEIR LAST HOME GAME. Same for Munster with a revenge to take on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Embra's getting better. Treviso too, and will get their international guys back for THEIR LAST HOME GAME. Same for Munster with a revenge to take on us.

Beat zebre, ospreys and embra and then there is a sizeable gap in the table. Its very possible too. Ospreys will lose a few more games by seasons end too. I think they will overtake scarlets as well.

Connacht have only a few away with Ireland and seem to have players returning from injury all the time so not getting top 4 would be a huge disappointment

is it not edinburgh? do they call it embra over there? :-). is it a scottish cheap misdirection tactic?

Well, eight games, two of which every other team in the top six would regard as guaranteed wins. If Connacht can't get 13 points from those eight games, with minimal disruption from the 6N, then they don't deserve to be in Europe.

I think they'll cruise it, btw, the only question is whether they're top 4 or top 6.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement