Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Isn't Leinster at home a banker win for Connacht? :pac:

Edit: Ah, Leinster won in Galway in 2013/14. I thought they hadn't won there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Enough of all this pessimism and calculating this that and the other.

We have 8 league games left....4 at home and 4 away.

We're capable of beating any of Ospreys, Leinster, Munster and Glasgow at home and we're 100% capable of beating Zebre, Edinburgh and Treviso away....away to a full strength Ulster might be a tough one.

So enough trying to calculate the bare minimum we need to sneak through....we're joint top of the table for a reason....lets knuckle down for the rest of the season, hope injuries go our way and drive on to a top 4 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Edit: Ah, Leinster won in Galway in 2013/14. I thought they hadn't won there for years.

Leinster may well have 5 or 6 players retained because it's the week following the final "6 nations" round. That's my "joker" for Connacht, more then full-strenght Munster or Glasgow coming to the sportsground

S12b wrote: »
    Enough of all this pessimism and calculating this that and the other.

We have 8 league games left....4 at home and 4 away.

We're capable of beating any of Ospreys, Leinster, Munster and Glasgow at home and we're 100% capable of beating Zebre, Edinburgh and Treviso away....away to a full strength Ulster might be a tough one.

So enough trying to calculate the bare minimum we need to sneak through....we're joint top of the table for a reason....lets knuckle down for the rest of the season, hope injuries go our way and drive on to a top 4 finish.

Yeah 7 on 8 possible, but only 1 (next week) very likely. I'd be more than happy with 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Late to the part on this one my can never resist my own 2c

IMO the second we signed Griffin we knew Robbie wasn't staying as we had enough depth if robbie stayed on (not complaining, quality player who still has the skill to make it higher)

To be honest, impact on the team wise, its not a massive blow. We have coped with his absences just fine and the loss of Buckley or Aly would arguably be worse

But the damage this may do to the brand is huge. Most young players go to see Robbie, he was a great example to point to for lads in schools/academy and hes a very marketable individual for sponsors. Kieran, Denis, Bundee or Muldoon may be draws but Robbie was undoubtably the poster child

I've never tried to begrudge a player who joins another team. This is a professional game and if he feels joining leinster/munster/toulon/zebre will further his career more power to him. But as a fan this one hurts far more that Macca, the 4 or another big success story in Rodney as he is one of our own that made it. His own combination of his own ability and drive played a massive part but the impact of coaches like of Lam, Elwood, Carolan and the coaches in Marist and Buccs played a massive part and is a big success story for the game here.

We have a real chance to finish this season as a success story, and we are still in the huint for two trophies. Lets hope he finishes his current time here on a high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

not going to reply any more to the player topic just going to concentrate on whats ahead for the team, i was holding back from thinking we could aim for top 4 but with the day that's in it, well it seems logical now, when we get 2 more wins in the next 3 games and the other teams not making any headway against us and/or taking points of each other then we go into March with only concentrating on which top 4 position we will finish. It's time that the fans believe, certainly the players and coaches do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've lost interest in the Robbie saga long ago - it was obvious he was going. Wish him the best, but as has been said, he won't be missed as much now as he would have been just last season. Aki and Ronaldson have forged a nice centre partnership in his absences and we're not lacking anything there except his physicality. It's a pity he'll be playing in his third best position at Leinster, he's really wasted at 12, but it's not our problem anymore.
    Leinster will also be weakened further during international windows, it's not really in anyone's interest to have a team stacked with internationals, but again, that's their problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I think we should win that game. It's the week after the last 6 nations game, so the lads who were away playing with the Lienster/Munster 15 will probably be on a rest week which will suit us.

Squad update ahead of Zebre game:
    The Connacht team are on the road again this week with a trip to play Italian side Zebre in round 15 of the Guinness PRO12. Ahead of the game, the medical department provided the following update.

Post Dragons game

There were no new injuries picked up in the bonus point win over Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade last Thursday night.

Others

Ben Marshall
    Second row Ben Marshall has returned to full training, having recovered from the fractured arm sustained in December. The 25-year-old lock is now available for selection.

Jack Carty
    Jack Carty has returned to Ireland following splenectomy surgery in Dubai last week. The Athlone native will continue to rest under the observation of the medical team before commencing his rehab programme.

Ireland Squad
    The availability of the Connacht players involved in the Ireland 6 Nations squad will be confirmed with the coaching team this week.

The Connacht team to face Zebre will be named on Friday at 12 noon.

ZEBRE v CONNACHT
    At Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, 5.30pm local time, (4.30pm Ireland & UK)
    Live on RAI Sport / TG4

Referee: Gary Conway (IRFU, 21st competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Giuseppe Vivarini, Simone Boaretto (both FIR)
    Citing Commissioner: Alberto Recaldini (FIR)
    TMO: Stefano Penne (FIR)

Good to see Marshall back in training, we need some depth at lock at the moment. Hopefully Marmion and Dillane are released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Zzippy wrote: »
    Squad update ahead of Zebre game:

Good to see Marshall back in training, we need some depth at lock at the moment. Hopefully Marmion and Dillane are released

And Finlay - was talking to a lad who went over to Newproy and he said Rodney was awful so could do with Finlay bein available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Never heard of that ref, is he any good? I would expect definitely Marmion and Bealham and quite possibly Dillane to be released for this.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    And Finlay - was talking to a lad who went over to Newproy and he said Rodney was awful so could do with Finlay bein available

D'oh! I knew I was missing someone. How could I forget that hair?!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

With macca being a doubt for England there is a decent chance Dillane could debut for ireland next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Great now it'd be great if he could play a game for us without fracturing his arm :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

freyners wrote: »
    With macca being a doubt for England there is a decent chance Dillane could debut for ireland next week

I hope McCarthy isnt played v England. He took one hell of a hit and its the 2nd one in 4 months [Wasps at home for Leinster]

Also like to see Dillane get a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I don't suppose anyone has any idea how many Italian internationals Zebre are likely to have back this weekend?

I know Connacht weren't supposed to have been great against Dragons but the tries looked pretty good on the brief highlights, especially Matt Healy''s, great line and lovely ball from Muldoon.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone has any idea how many Italian internationals Zebre are likely to have back this weekend?

I know Connacht weren't supposed to have been great against Dragons but the tries looked pretty good on the brief highlights, especially Matt Healy''s, great line and lovely ball from Muldoon.

corresponding fixtures last year only a few guys played for Zebre on the weekend after the first two rounds of 6n games.

They will more than likely be without a huge contingent of their internationals, the likes of Canna, Sarto, Garcia and 2 or 3 others. They may get a couple of the bench players back like Palazanni.

At the fear of sounding cocky and even though it's in Italy I would be disappointed if it's not a fairly comprehensive beating and I'm hoping for a bit of a rout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

my very final thought on Robbie Henshaw... the prospects of a being in a sportsground on a cold winters night next winter, with Robbie lining up @ 12 and Bundee on the opposing 12, both looking for the Ireland 12, is an exciting/entertaining prospect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Very unfortunate for Connacht, on the bright side I can see Reddan going west.

• Advertisement

WarZ wrote: »

No thanks. Marmion renewed his contract.

At 35, there's no place for Reddan to be perfectly honest. Marmion and Blade would both get ahead of him, Cooney too if he decides to stay on, Porter is the oldest of our current scrum halves at 27 and while his best may not be up to Reddan's best he is a lot more consistent than Reddan these days, so I'd probably have him ahead too.

Reddan has been a great servant to Ireland but I'm afraid his playing days are drawing to an end, taking a year's extension to be a bench option for Leinster would probably be his best option unless he gets a nice lucrative retirement package abroad.

That's a bright side? You can keep your pensioners, thanks. And don't be so ridiculous in future

I think Connacht would be a fantastic place for Reddan to finish his playing days. I don't understand why any Connacht supporter would be so against the idea. He could really add some experience and winning pedigree to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Is he coming to clifden on holidays?

I think Connacht would be a fantastic place for Reddan to finish his playing days. I don't understand why any Connacht supporter would be so against the idea. He could really add some experience and winning pedigree to the team.

We prefer to give young lads a chance rather than keep flogging a (near dead) horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bazzo wrote: »
    At 35, there's no place for Reddan to be perfectly honest. Marmion and Blade would both get ahead of him, Cooney too if he decides to stay on, Porter is the oldest of our current scrum halves at 27 and while his best may not be up to Reddan's best he is a lot more consistent than Reddan these days, so I'd probably have him ahead too.

Reddan has been a great servant to Ireland but I'm afraid his playing days are drawing to an end, taking a year's extension to be a bench option for Leinster would probably be his best option unless he gets a nice lucrative retirement package abroad.

ah now, don't get me wrong, I don't feel the need to sign Reddan or anything but he would still be better than Porter..
    Munster would be ideal spot for him, he is much better bench option than TOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Blade would get ahead of Reddan? Lol. The same Blade who was behind an 18 year old Nick McCarthy for the u20s? Ian Porter? The 27 year old who amassed 11 caps in his 4 seasons with Ulster? It really makes you wonder sometimes.

you'll have to excuse some my fellow connacht supporters they've naturally become over-protective of their players in light of recent defections, this is clouding their judgement. but no I wouldnt take Reddan either defintiely too old next season however you may have noticed we are rather good at improving sub-standard players and making them quite good commodities. I expect Blade to easily make the grade in the next 12 months, in fact he's not far of that already

Pointless discussion. As far as I can see, nobody even knows if reddan is out of contract. Connacht have much greater need in other positions if John Cooney re-signs.

Hagz I presume the point being made was that it's better for Connacht if Blade gets gametime rather than a 36 yr old here for a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

We prefer to give young lads a chance rather than keep flogging a (near dead) horse.

Giving youth a chance is great, but if you're giving youth a chance in pretty much every other position in the backline you are sacrificing a lot in terms of experience. Reddan doesnt have long left in the game but I certainly wouldnt underestimate a player with so much experience in such an important position, in a team pretty short in experience overall. Who do you want coming off the bench in an important European game with 20 mins to go and the match in the balance, Ian Porter or Eoin Reddan?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Tox56 wrote: »
    Giving youth a chance is great, but if you're giving youth a chance in pretty much every other position in the backline you are sacrificing a lot in terms of experience. Reddan doesnt have long left in the game but I certainly wouldnt underestimate a player with so much experience in such an important position, in a team pretty short in experience overall. Who do you want coming off the bench in an important European game with 20 mins to go and the match in the balance, Ian Porter or Eoin Reddan?

I'd be happy enough if the other three proud provinces would just let us hold on to Marmion and Cooney.

Obviously Reddan in that scenario but it's not worth it for Connacht in terms of his salary and having him blocking the path of Blade or Cooney if the latter doesn't go back to Leinster, Redden will retire in 2017 presumably and Connacht would be left with only Marmion having significant experience.

Evil_g wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough if the other three proud provinces would just let us hold on to Marmion and Cooney.

I reckon those two are safe enough in Connacht. I can't see Leinster wanting either of them when McGrath still has more potential than both IMO.

yeah and maybe we can replace Pat Lam with EOS while we're doing a deal with Reddan, sometimes i wonder what planet some of the fans from other provinces are on

I reckon those two are safe enough in Connacht. I can't see Leinster wanting either of them when McGrath still has more potential than both IMO.

McGrath is only a year younger than Marmion and wasn't being picked ahead of Isaac Boss at the start of this season...

He'll be a good scrum half but Marmion all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

And if Connacht were to spend time developing them to the point that they showed more potential than McGrath, what then?

Presumably they'd have to go to Leinster, but should we then be happy to give one of your retirees a lap of honour; or should we take some of your kids that don't show enough potential and put a few seasons of work into them before they head back to you?

(Sorry. It's been $hit couple of days)

Giving youth a chance is great, but if you're giving youth a chance in pretty much every other position in the backline you are sacrificing a lot in terms of experience. Reddan doesnt have long left in the game but I certainly wouldnt underestimate a player with so much experience in such an important position, in a team pretty short in experience overall.Who do you want coming off the bench in an important European game with 20 mins to go and the match in the balance, Ian Porter or Eoin Reddan?

Cooney. It might be ok for Leinster to persist with 2 ageing scrumhalves and not have a good succession plan, but I'll take our 9s getting experience any day and developing players for the future over playing a 36 year old playing on for a last pay day. If he still has so much to offer why so keen to offload him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Who's keen to offload him? The rumours are that he isn't one of the re-signings. As a Leinster supporter I don't want him going anywhere. Whatever about the age profile he's still the second best scrum-half in Ireland and Leinster would be foolish to let him go. Thus the discussions about him going to Connacht seem foolish because if he isn't re-signing then he's either retiring or looking for a better deal to end his career on. It wouldn't make any sense for him to go to Connacht from his perspective.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Who's keen to offload him? The rumours are that he isn't one of the re-signings. As a Leinster supporter I don't want him going anywhere. Whatever about the age profile he's still the second best scrum-half in Ireland and Leinster would be foolish to let him go. Thus the discussions about him going to Connacht seem foolish because if he isn't re-signing then he's either retiring or looking for a better deal to end his career on. It wouldn't make any sense for him to go to Connacht from his perspective.

It might if leinster offer 1 yr and connacht offer two? Stranger things have happened

aimee1 wrote: »
    It might if leinster offer 1 yr and connacht offer two? Stranger things have happened

Not many. If Connacht offer him a two yr deal someone should be fired for gross negligence. Reddan may well have a year left on his current deal for all anyone knows so this really isn't worth further discussion.

Exactly right. Somebody suggested it, a few of us pointed this out, end of story really. His best options if he wishes to continue playing are taking a year extension at Leinster to cover the bench or going abroad for a year or two to a lower division club for some cash.

Going to Connacht would be completely foolish, even if you don't rate them we are probably the best stocked of any of the provinces with young scrum halves.
    Blade would get ahead of Reddan? Lol. The same Blade who was behind an 18 year old Nick McCarthy for the u20s? Ian Porter? The 27 year old who amassed 11 caps in his 4 seasons with Ulster? It really makes you wonder sometimes.

Also not sure why you took great offense here. Plenty of u20s stars have gone on to do absolutely nothing at senior level and plenty of other u20s who didn't stand out went on to become great players. I would never put a 35, 36 year old next year, Reddan ahead of Blade. What would be the point? You'll also noticely I very specifically said that Porter WASN'T better than Reddan.

Cooney. It might be ok for Leinster to persist with 2 ageing scrumhalves and not have a good succession plan, but I'll take our 9s getting experience any day and developing players for the future over playing a 36 year old playing on for a last pay day. If he still has so much to offer why so keen to offload him?

Honestly I just presumed Cooney was coming back to Leinster, he and McGrath were Leinster's scrum half 'succession plan', before he was ruthlessly poached of course*. What is with the paranoia, where are you getting the idea im so keen to offload Reddan, I'm talking about what would happen if he left (for Connacht) and why that would be a good thing for Connacht

* a joke please don't murder me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Honestly I just presumed Cooney was coming back to Leinster, he and McGrath were Leinster's scrum half 'succession plan', before he was ruthlessly poached of course*. What is with the paranoia, where are you getting the idea im so keen to offload Reddan, I'm talking about what would happen if he left (for Connacht) and why that would be a good thing for Connacht

latest?cb=20131106132711

No paranoia, just irritation at yet another ageing player who has little to offer being mooted for a last contract with Connacht, as if we are a retirement home for the other provinces. Mike Ross recently was another. And yes, I know you didn't propose it, another poster did. Marmion has 4 years experience now (at one stage having started over 50 games consecutively I think) so we're fine for experience. If Leinster's scrumhalf roster next year was McGrath and Cooney I think they would have a far greater need for a bit of experience.

• Advertisement

So Cooney heading back East ? :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Surely something worthwhile should be attempted with Reddan by sending him off to Ulster to complete the full house?

Also, if for some reason we were in the market for a veteran scrumhalf, Stringer all the way.

No paranoia, just irritation at yet another ageing player who has little to offer being mooted for a last contract with Connacht, as if we are a retirement home for the other provinces. Mike Ross recently was another. And yes, I know you didn't propose it, another poster did. Marmion has 4 years experience now (at one stage having started over 50 games consecutively I think) so we're fine for experience. If Leinster's scrumhalf roster next year was McGrath and Cooney I think they would have a far greater need for a bit of experience.

Leinster have enormous international and European experience throughout the team, McGrath and Cooney might be inexperienced in themselves but in any important game they would be surrounded by Lions and internationals in virtually every position, which is obviously not going to be the case with Connacht, which is why I say Reddan's experience could be of use to them. But that isn't to say Reddan would have no use at Leinster and from certainly from a Leinster point of view I would keep him here for next season if it was down to me. He's actually been playing pretty well this season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Leinster have enormous international and European experience throughout the team, McGrath and Cooney might be inexperienced in themselves but in any important game they would be surrounded by Lions and internationals in virtually every position, which is obviously not going to be the case with Connacht, which is why I say Reddan's experience could be of use to them. But that isn't to say Reddan would have no use at Leinster and from certainly from a Leinster point of view I would keep him here for next season if it was down to me. He's actually been playing pretty well this season

Honestly why would we piss off Marmion by bringing in Reddan for one year? I'd f*** off at the end of my contract if that happened and keeping Marmion in two years will be a battle itself.

Also paying Reddan a big salary is not worth it. I'd rather put it towards renewals for likes of Heenan and Muldowney. Marmion has enough experience against the top sides at club level, we don't need Reddan and it makes no sense long term. It would be another Gopperth/Madigan situation except it takes place out West.

Not slagging off Reddan quality, but it doesn't make sense.

Great in theory, awful in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Friend is looking to get one of the Green Lantern Jerseys, are they still available anywhere?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement