Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Zzippy wrote: »
    Any source for Aki and Muldowney being out? If they are I'd go with this team (not sure if all are fit):

Buckley, McCartney, Bealham
    Dillane, Browne/Naoupu/Marshall
    Muldoon, Heenan, Masterson
    Marmion, Ronaldson
    Robb, Parata
    Healy, TOH, Poolman

JHW, Ah You, Loughney, Browne/Naoupu/Marshall, McKeon, Blade, AJ, Carr

we all want that, but Pat wants Ron as 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

While my opinion may not be the favourite opinion on boards it is an opinion. I just felt the need to express discontent. Job done. Onwards to zebre and top4. Onwards to centrally contracted players who want to play at Connacht. At least I understand pat lams comments over the past while about players who want to play at Connacht. Many others could leave but I don't believe they will. I believe one player was brainwashed but the others are unlikely to be such easy targets. A lesson has been learnt by players, fans and management here. I expect Heenan to sign on again. I expect muldowney to sign on again. I expect the irfu to be very sympathetic to Connacht after this fiasco.

On Heenan, could he possibly pick a worse time to be edging towards IQ. Irish back row simply full of talent. But then he is as good as SOB in my opinion so go get that position Jake. And Aki is also nearing IQ. Maybe what's disturbing is that I see them on central contracts before toh, Healy, Buckley ie.. our homegrown talent. As ever just an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

While my opinion may not be the favourite opinion on boards it is an opinion. I just felt the need to express discontent. Job done. Onwards to zebre and top4. Onwards to centrally contracted players who want to play at Connacht. At least I understand pat lams comments over the past while about players who want to play at Connacht. Many others could leave but I don't believe they will. I believe one player was brainwashed but the others are unlikely to be such easy targets. A lesson has been learnt by players, fans and management here. I expect Heenan to sign on again. I expect muldowney to sign on again. I expect the irfu to be very sympathetic to Connacht after this fiasco.
    Really?

children-of-the-damned-the-children.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Don't think either of Heenan or Muldowney are signing on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wouldn't be surprised about Muldowney, said on here a while back he would be tough to keep given his age and final payday in the offing that Connacht can't match.

Heenan would be very frustrating. Considering the injuries meaning he's played so little, if he signed elsewhere after seven or eight games, would be disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Seriously? On top of Robbie that would be really crap news... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I'm hoping this is a dole related joke!!

S12b wrote: »
    I'm hoping this is a dole related joke!!

I wish it was

I wonder where muldowney would go. Can understand he might have got somewhat pissed at the most recent web summit. I would hate to think that this would be the reason. And Heenan has such a huge future at Connacht.

Then of course Jake has had two reconstructions of the shoulder. And reading the triggs article earlier in the week, it was interesting to hear the difference between northern hemisphere rugby compared to southern hemisphere rugby. Triggs suggested one was a running type of rugby while the other was purely a contact based type of rugby.

I suppose after his last few years he could be forgiven saying to hell with this style of rugby.

• Advertisement

I wonder where muldowney would go. Can understand he might have got somewhat pissed at the most recent web summit. I would hate to think that this would be the reason. And Heenan has such a huge future at Connacht.

Then of course Jake has had two reconstructions of the shoulder. And reading the triggs article earlier in the week, it was interesting to hear the difference between northern hemisphere rugby compared to southern hemisphere rugby. Triggs suggested one was a running type of rugby while the other was purely a contact based type of rugby.

I suppose after his last few years he could be forgiven saying to hell with this style of rugby.

There was a contract on the table for Heenan. If he goes where I heard he's going it will not go down well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

There was a contract on the table for Heenan. If he goes where I heard he's going it will not go down well.

Elaborate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

d-gal wrote:
    Elaborate please?

Presume he means that Heenan might be taking a short trip down south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I know loyalty means little in a professional game and I'm all for players doing what they need to do for their career but provided Connacht have made a reasonable contract offer Jake Heenan owes us at least one good season for how we've stood by him the last 3 years.

I know loyalty means little in a professional game and I'm all for players doing what they need to do for their career but provided Connacht have made a reasonable contract offer Jake Heenan owes us at least one good season for how we've stood by him the last 3 years.
    If true this would be a right kick in the knuts. Trip to grenoble will be interesting. Much to discuss!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

Triggs suggested one was a running type of rugby while the other was purely a contact based type of rugby.

I am assuming your reference to Triggs is about how he was making comments about McCarthy's concussion the other day. What was the name of the guy from NZ who played for connacht a few years ago for half a season before he quit after his 12th or so concussion in 2 years, most of which happened in NZ. This style and attrition argument keeps getting trotted out and its not very accurate, sure we even had Eddie Jones claiming Ireland kick 60% of our possession when the stats dont come close to that.

Richie McCaw had his issues with concussion in the mid noughties IIRC and Kieran Read was stood down for a few months in 2013 [or 2014 not sure which] super rugby season.

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more. Having spent over half of his 3 year contract on the treatment table, some loyalty is not alot to ask for.

I'd be hugely disappointed if he left, he's a class player when fit. I don't know why he'd want to be no2 somewhere else either.

Would be a weird one. Himself and Tommy O'Donnell battling for the 7 spot. Can't see it.

The emergence of Nepia Fox and James Connolly would be some comfort but Heenan would still be a massive loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

calico77 wrote: »
    I am assuming your reference to Triggs is about how he was making comments about McCarthy's concussion the other day. What was the name of the guy from NZ who played for connacht a few years ago for half a season before he quit after his 12th or so concussion in 2 years, most of which happened in NZ. This style and attrition argument keeps getting trotted out and its not very accurate, sure we even had Eddie Jones claiming Ireland kick 60% of our possession when the stats dont come close to that.

Richie McCaw had his issues with concussion in the mid noughties IIRC and Kieran Read was stood down for a few months in 2013 [or 2014 not sure which] super rugby season.

Craig Clarke, he was a serious talent, his retirement was really really unfortunate.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Would be a weird one. Himself and Tommy O'Donnell battling for the 7 spot. Can't see it.

The emergence of Nepia Fox and James Connolly would be some comfort but Heenan would still be a massive loss.

Both fine players but Jake is a cut above and a future international in the waiting.

Connolly played most of his underage at 6 as well so he can play there too.

With the way our 7's get injured, having 3 senior opensides is vital

The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyway. It can't be financial, he's not guaranteed to be first choice and at this moment in time Munster are less likely than Connacht to be in Champions cup next season.

Would expect him to stick around but we'll see.

• Advertisement

What Connacht are owed and what Connacht get seem two disparate things. Porterbelly, cut the crap. Put us out of our next misery!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

What Connacht are owed and what Connacht get seem two disparate things. Porterbelly, cut the crap. Put us out of our next misery!!!!
    Porterbelly says no :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

back to NZ?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    back to NZ?
    From my understanding a much shorter trip south!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

From my understanding a much shorter trip south!!!

Ok so it's either the Clare hurlers, or that other team in Munster

gally74 wrote: »
    Ok so it's either the Clare hurlers, or that other team in Munster
    Always felt clare hurlers needed a bit more uuuumph about them. Jake will sort the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

I've tried to keep out of the Henshaw debate until now. Course I'm disappointed, but thats life. Never heard words like 'loyalty' thrown around when the likes of O'Connor or Duffy went to ply their trade in England, so feel like its unfair to tar Robbie with it now.

Quite disappointed to see the reactions of a lot of Connacht and Leinster fans, but again maybe its just from the outspoken minority (or so I hope).

Heenan would be a big loss, but as others have pointed out, he hasn't played a whole lot and we are building adequate cover there.

Aki would be the one I'd worry about, but not a time to go into now amongst all the doom and gloom.

Moving onto the next game, and another massive 4-5 point prize on offer. Sounded like Dillane gave us a timely boost in the last game, so fingers crossed he's being given more of a run out this time.

Aki travelled on the flight to Italy anyway so he must be ok

A friend was also on that flight, sent a blurry pic of some of the team boarding. SOB 2.0 was the only one I could make out, so he's there too.

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Bundee Aki
    12 Craig Ronaldson
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ben Marshall
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 John Muldoon (captain)
    7 Jake Heenan
    8 Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 George Naoupu
    20 Eoghan Masterson
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Peter Robb
    23 Danie Poolman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Dillane being kept in bubble wrap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Dillane being kept in bubble wrap?

Highly probable now he is on the bench for England i reckon. At the least he is 24 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Interesting selection of Niyi ahead of Danie - must think there'll be acres of space to utilise his speed and keep Poolman fresh for the Ospreys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Interesting selection of Niyi ahead of Danie - must think there'll be acres of space to utilise his speed and keep Poolman fresh for the Ospreys?

I'd assume just a degree of rotation.....likewise with Masterson on the bench, he's played a lot in the last few months so give him somewhat of a rest and get McKeon some minutes under the belt.

Great to have Marshall back and some much needed depth at lock.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Niyi hasn't played in a while as well so it's a good idea to get him up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Robbo wrote: »
    Niyi hasn't played in a while as well so it's a good idea to get him up to speed.

usually doesn't take him too long ;)

Gonna see if Poolman is available at decent price for an "anytime try scorer" - odds should be longer if coming of the bench
    Robbo - you're not allowed bet :pac:
    S12b wrote: »
    I'd assume just a degree of rotation.....likewise with Masterson on the bench, he's played a lot in the last few months so give him somewhat of a rest and get McKeon some minutes under the belt.

Great to have Marshall back and some much needed depth at lock.

I remember in the Clan Bar after a match McKeon mentioned that Lam likes to rotate 1 player in the backrow as much as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Gonna see if Poolman is available at decent price for an "anytime try scorer" - odds should be longer if coming of the bench
    They probably won't be longer. If someone is trying to bet on a sub the traders will consider them either a mug or that they have inside knowledge on an injury.

I would expect him to be the same price as Healy, if he is priced up at all.

That's a strong team. Pat went with the predicted AJ - Craig - Bundee axis, no surprise there. Dillane not being released while Donnacha Ryan was is an interesting one.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    That's a strong team. Pat went with the predicted AJ - Craig - Bundee axis, no surprise there. Dillane not being released while Donnacha Ryan was is an interesting one.

Easiest anwer would be Dillane has played a lot of rugby this season and we have the depth for once to not need him with Marshall in place coupled with the fact he most likely will debut this weekend the more time he has in camp the better at this rate.

Still highly doubt Joe would make his first Ireland appearance starting vs England. Stranger things have happened tho..

freyners wrote: »
    Easiest anwer would be Dillane has played a lot of rugby this season and we have the depth for once to not need him with Marshall in place coupled with the fact he most likely will debut this weekend the more time he has in camp the better at this rate.

Still highly doubt Joe would make his first Ireland appearance starting vs England. Stranger things have happened tho..

Well, since I wrote that somebody pointed out that a lot of the new caps haven't been released so it may just be to give them extra time in camp if they're going to be capped later in the tournament.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Zebre were allowed 4 Italian squad members back, one of which is Haimona who must be brimming with confidence following the Paris dropgoal incident...

Muiliana is at full back and apparently he's making Andy Goode look svelte these days. We should be dealing with their back 3 at maximum velocity.

All in all, we should be looking at pinning them back in their 22 with the boot, let the forwards do the early damage and then let the backs come at them at speed.

Bazzo wrote:
    Well, since I wrote that somebody pointed out that a lot of the new caps haven't been released so it may just be to give them extra time in camp if they're going to be capped later in the tournament.

Didn't see that. Makes sense

Updated the injury list. I also took out the Irish Squad lads as we all know the score there. Parata and Delahunt are new additions.

I think we hopefully expect this to be a bit shorter again next week but the backs remain an area of concern.
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Andrew Browne|A/C Fracture|Mid/Late February
    Quinn Roux|Ankle|February-ish
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|ACL|Next Season
    John Cooney|Shoulder Dislocation/Tear|Ospreys/Late February
    Dave McSharry|Concussion|Unknown
    Conor Finn|Unknown|Unknown
    Darragh Leader|Wrist|Next Season
    Ciaran Gaffney|Fracture of some kind|"Close"
    Jack Carty|Spleen/Waterslide Ouch|1-3 months from early February
    Shane O'Leary|Hamstring|Unknown
    Shane Delahunt|Unknown|Unknown
    Rory Parata|Knee|Scan results pending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

we should be looking at pinning them back in their 22 with the boot, let the forwards do the early damage and then let the backs come at them at speed.

I'd call that the perfect gameplan to win any rugby game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Updated the injury list. I also took out the Irish Squad lads as we all know the score there. Parata and Delahunt are new additions.

I think we hopefully expect this to be a bit shorter again next week but the backs remain an area of concern.

Compared to where we were a short while ago that is a nice short list. FB would be the worst of the back positions right now. Centre isn't too bad, Outhalf is tight but at least we have 2 recognised outhalves fit, plus McKeon in the academy. Wings are well stocked with Healy, Poolman, Niyi, Carr and TOH. FB is really just TOH available

I imagine Mils will be feeling the heat with a back 3 of Niyi, Healy and TOH coming at him.

That's not too bad Zebre side. Luke Burgess is a useful 9 and Van Schalwyk has always had very strong games against us. The releasing of 4 of their Italians will certainly strengthen them. They've been half decent at home

I imagine Mils will be feeling the heat with a back 3 of Niyi, Healy and TOH coming at him.

That's not too bad Zebre side. Luke Burgess is a useful 9 and Van Schalwyk has always had very strong games against us. The releasing of 4 of their Italians will certainly strengthen them. They've been half decent at home

They gave Munster a right scare only 3 weeks ago, and they've beaten Cardiff and Edinburgh at home too. On the other hand they got some drubbing last week at Leinster. Get a good start and the heads could drop quickly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Zzippy wrote: »
    They gave Munster a right scare only 3 weeks ago, and they've beaten Cardiff and Edinburgh at home too. On the other hand they got some drubbing last week at Leinster. Get a good start and the heads could drop quickly...

We're using our backline better IMO. If we play a territory based game force them make a load of tackles and keep the ball moving I think we'll win and hopefully win convincingly, but I wouldn't take them for granted they're at home, and are pushing teams at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Leinster home game v Zebre, not televised, Connacht away v Zebre, Live and HD on Tg4.

Have Connacht fans noticed a decent increase in tv coverage in line with success? I tend to watch them whenever they're on, and there do seem to be more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement