Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

errlloyd wrote: »
    Leinster home game v Zebre, not televised, Connacht away v Zebre, Live and HD on Tg4.

Have Connacht fans noticed a decent increase in tv coverage in line with success? I tend to watch them whenever they're on, and there do seem to be more.

The start of the season was pretty poor I think we had the lowest number of televised games of any team in the league. But since the Munster game the only one we haven't had televised was last weeks Dragons game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It's been good for the second third of the season but for the first coverage was really awful, I'm in the UK the last couple of years so only get to a couple games in the sportsground a year and you would really notice how little they were covered.

To be fair the Leinster game clashed with Ulster Glasgow and the Connacht game clashes with nothing. TG 4 are good for picking up Connacht games as long as they don't clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Funk It wrote: »
    I've tried to keep out of the Henshaw debate until now. Course I'm disappointed, but thats life. Never heard words like 'loyalty' thrown around when the likes of O'Connor or Duffy went to ply their trade in England, so feel like its unfair to tar Robbie with it now.

Quite disappointed to see the reactions of a lot of Connacht and Leinster fans, but again maybe its just from the outspoken minority (or so I hope).
    What bothered me most (and it is my opinion) is that Robbie was always going to get a central contract. So if he stayed at Connacht his wages would have been released to further strengthen the Connacht team. And this he knew. So I'm OK with Robbie leaving. He has every right to further his career. What's bothers me is that he does so with a very obvious negative impact to Connacht. And I don't think Connacht deserve that from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

What bothered me most (and it is my opinion) is that Robbie was always going to get a central contract. So if he stayed at Connacht his wages would have been released to further strengthen the Connacht team. And this he knew. So I'm OK with Robbie leaving. He has every right to further his career. What's bothers me is that he does so with a very obvious negative impact to Connacht. And I don't think Connacht deserve that from him.
    What choice did he have? He was clearly intent on leaving from as far out as a year ago or more (when rumours first started). His likelihood of a central contract was not as strong then and having made the decision, you believe he should have gone back on it because he was getting centrally contracted?

Despite the fact that (this is not definitive but has been widely reported) provinces pay the first 100k of every central contract meaning that this decision would be costing Connacht Henshaw's current salary minus 100k. How much would that be? 20k? 50k?

Finally, you've been vociferous in pushing this line despite being equally vociferous in calling Henshaw boring and uninspiring. :rolleyes:

He was clearly intent on leaving :rolleyes:
    That is true

That is true
    You diminish your argument and your standing with such selective quoting. You may as well snip selected letters from today's newpaper and stick them on a card. :rolleyes:

You diminish your argument and your standing with such selective quoting. You may as well snip selected letters from today's newpaper and stick them on a card. :rolleyes:
    You posted it.

You posted it.
    Like you posted this:
    So I'm OK that he does so with a very obvious negative impact to Connacht. And I think Connacht deserve that from him.
    :rolleyes:

Difference is I quoted you. You just withdrew words. Honestly

Oh the very definition of disingenuity. Honestly :D

How many words between my last one and the smiley did you withdraw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ah here lads, leave it out! 😂

Zzippy I call a halt at this. Yes my opinion may be unpopular but I do not distort folks opinions by changing words. I qoute what is represented. I am disgusted what this gob****e is trying to do. I am happy to argue my opinion but not happy to have it misrepresented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You posted it.
    Like you posted this:

:rolleyes:

Both of you cop on and start posting like adults

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

no point being annoyed with any of this any longer, can everyone take a step back, I'd just like to remind everyone we are top of the league and will be again next week, and quite possibly the following week we will be looking at being safely in the top 6. and after that only another 2 wins away from a Top 4 Finish

That's how close we are to an incredible season, contemplate that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

That's a bit optimistic, Ospreys back to back wins in the last week puts them right back in the mix for champions cup qualification now. While at least four points tomorrow is a must the match next weekend is going to be absolutely massive. If Connacht lose that one it's going to be a struggle to make the top six. Even two wins in the next two games guarantees nothing - it's looking more like 62 or 63 points will be needed at this stage to get top six, a team could easily finish on 60 or more and miss out this year.

I'd say Connacht would need to win at least five of the last eight to get top four, that would be a very tough task to be honest.

That's a bit optimistic, Ospreys back to back wins in the last week puts them right back in the mix for champions cup qualification now. While at least four points tomorrow is a must the match next weekend is going to be absolutely massive. If Connacht lose that one it's going to be a struggle to make the top six. Even two wins in the next two games guarantees nothing - it's looking more like 62 or 63 points will be needed at this stage to get top six, a team could easily finish on 60 or more and miss out this year.

I'd say Connacht would need to win at least five of the last eight to get top four, that would be a very tough task to be honest.

Ulster away is the only match where I would take a losing bp if offered now. Most of the rest will be close battles, would be disappointed if Connacht won less than 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

So tonights result in Glasgow, good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Bit of both but more good than bad I think.....

No idea tbh. So close it's hard to tell. Worry enough about Connacht matches without worrying about others! Albeit I suppose if we finish ahead of Munster we definitely make top6 and if we could beat them in the SG it would be tough for them to overtake us. It was bad in the sense that both teams got bonus points.

• Advertisement

4 home games plus Zebre and Treviso. Time to believe!

Zzippy wrote: »
    4 home games plus Zebre and Treviso. Time to believe!
    I was more looking at the international window. For starters we are a damm good team. Ospreys will be without their internationals. Then Leinster in the sports ground week after end of 6n. I suggest top 2. Just my opinion as ever. Strange but I knew Munster wouldn't win that game tonight. So I propose top 2 and challenge cup winners.

Negatives. Are muldowney and Heenan going to leave a ship that has finally stabilized. Henshaw we have cover for. Heenan we could maybe get over but not muldowney. Fox is kinda decent at 7. To lose muldowney. That would be a blow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Glasgow's win is good for us overall, because Glasgow have an easy run in and will finish comfortably in the top four I reckon (along with Ulster and Leinster). We're not really competing with those three as much as we are with Scarlets, Ospreys, Edinburgh and Munster. It's between Connacht and those four for the last playoff place and the two other european qualification spots I reckon.

Tonight's result could have been better though if they'd taken the try on offer at the end and stopped Munster getting the LBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

Bit of both but more good than bad I think.....

Good. Put serious daylight between yourselves and munster with a few wins against zebre and ospreys. Thats aim #1 - step closer to ERCC. Then aim for playoffs. Glasgow have games in hand but thats double edged sword. They become pressure games. I Think ospreys and glasgow will surpass scarlets and Edinburgh.

Munster now have to win minimum of 6 games. Any slips from them play into connachts hands especially if connacht beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Sigh. I thought we'd been through this already this week let's stop looking at the minimum we need for top 6 and start focusing on winning our remaining games, all of which are winnable, except maybe Ulster, and stay on course for top 4.

After 14 rounds we're joint top if the table and there's a very good chance that by the end of the weekend we'll be clear at the top. It's time to shake of the thinking that we don't belong here. We've been playing brilliant rugby this year and absolutely deserve to be here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

All the bad/worrying news we've got this week shows that we must seize the opportunity to do something special this season as we might be waiting for a while for as good a season again. At this stage European Qualification is still the main thing I want to see us wrap up. Top 4 will become relevant if and when we wrap european qualification up.

However, we've had too many bad days down the years and too many late season fade outs to take anything for granted. No slips ups tomorrow and next Saturday v Ospreys will be a massive game.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Sigh. I thought we'd been through this already this week let's stop looking at the minimum we need for top 6 and start focusing on winning our remaining games, all of which are winnable, except maybe Ulster, and stay on course for top 4.

After 14 rounds we're joint top if the table and there's a very good chance that by the end of the weekend we'll be clear at the top. It's time to shake of the thinking that we don't belong here. We've been playing brilliant rugby this year and absolutely deserve to be here
    ASIS. Four letter abbreviation. 'AS I Said'. We are not shockingly bad :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Maybe when Champions Cup for next season is guaranteed we'll see movement on contracts for likes of Heenan and Muldowney. They may be waiting out before committing?? Also once Champions Cup is nailed down Connachts budget for next season will be lot clearer, they can bank on additional revenue for gate receipts and tv money etc. Then the branch can offering better contracts renewals but cant do so until then know 100% they are into CC. Getting into the competition will make a significant difference to what they can offer players.

maroondog wrote: »
    Maybe when Champions Cup for next season is guaranteed we'll see movement on contracts for likes of Heenan and Muldowney. They may be waiting out before committing?? Also once Champions Cup is nailed down Connachts budget for next season will be lot clearer, they can bank on additional revenue for gate receipts and tv money etc. Then the branch can offering better contracts renewals but cant do so until then know 100% they are into CC. Getting into the competition will make a significant difference to what they can offer players.
    Unlikely. As porterbelly suggested it seems we are for a right kick in the knut's this year. It is simply bewildering. Our best ever season and we lose these guys. It is beyond understanding. It can only be money related. Success we are at. So it seems it is about money. Go henshaw, go Heenan, go muldowney. Jake I do hope your shoulder reconstruction(twice) didn't cost you too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Unlikely. As porterbelly suggested it seems we are for a right kick in the knut's this year. It is simply bewildering. Our best ever season and we lose these guys. It is beyond understanding. It can only be money related. Success we are at. So it seems it is about money. Go henshaw, go Heenan, go muldowney. Jake I do hope your shoulder reconstruction(twice) didn't cost you too much

Ah will ya just stop. Nothing has been announced regarding the two lads so give over with your doomsday posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I'll say it again, Ithink Munster in for Dillane is the risk. I know he has a year on his contract but him over mul for any yeam the a longer term strategy.

• Advertisement

ki wrote: »
    I'll say it again, Ithink Munster in for Dillane is the risk. I know he has a year on his contract but him over mul for any yeam the a longer term strategy.

Not much point worrying about Dillane at the moment. It's not a zero sum game anyway, we should be looking to keep both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

b.gud wrote: »

Connacht just need to look at the next few games and then the next two. Just keep looking at getting points on the board. Then the rest takes care of itself.

Ah come on, would ya not agree once Connacht have certainty about CC for next season that will give them more spending ability .ie size of contracts they offer? I notice Munster have been fairly quiet on this front and is largely to do with their current standing in Pro12. If they don't make CC next season their finances will be a lot worse off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah come on, would ya not agree once Connacht have certainty about CC for next season that will give them more spending ability .ie size of contracts they offer? I notice Munster have been fairly quiet on this front and is largely to do with their current standing in Pro12. If they don't make CC next season their finances will be a lot worse off.

The Irish provinces dont get money directly from the Champions Cup, nor the Heineken Cup before it. The money goes to the IRFU and is distributed from there. It's a small amount in comparison to the 6 Nations money which accounts for the majority of the funding.

Maybe if Connacht made the Heineken Cup ahead of Munster it would cause a major change in the distribution of finances but I really doubt it.

The Irish provinces dont get money directly from the Champions Cup, nor the Heineken Cup before it. The money goes to the IRFU and is distributed from there. It's a small amount in comparison to the 6 Nations money which accounts for the majority of the funding.

Maybe if Connacht made the Heineken Cup ahead of Munster it would cause a major change in the distribution of finances but I really doubt it.

How Munster spend their money should really be looked at. A friend of mine was in the sports campus in Dublin recently when Munster were up for a day. Between squad, coaches, physios, nutritionists and much more they had 102 people there. Mate was talking to one of the sports campus management and he reckoned it was total madness - far too many hangers on, and every one of them paid to be there. Not making the champions cup would be a rude awakening for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

I missed the last few pages of posts so apologies if this has come up already...

Does anyone have a link to confirmation that Robbie has signed a central contract with Leinster? I checked the IRFU website and they have stories re: Payne and Healy signing central contracts, but not Henshaw. Or is there confirmation he just signed with Leinster?

I'm not on about central funding from IRFU, more so season ticket sales, ticket sales for CC games, addtional money generated from match programmes etc with average attendances increasing next season. The Conn branch can budget that the income that THEY generate will be a good bit higher thus will allow for more spending on player contracts.

If munster miss out on CC id predict their season ticket sales would drop quite a lot and they'd be in right bother.

Looking forward to seeing Ben Marshall back today. If he can stay fit, he could be a very good player for Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ClanofLams wrote:
    Looking forward to seeing Ben Marshall back today. If he can stay fit, he could be a very good player for Connacht.

I forget. Is he a loan of permanent signing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

freyners wrote: »

permanent

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    permanent

Until he gets enough game time to unlock his potential...... Sorry yep permanent

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ciaran Gaffney, Api Pewhairangi and Shane O'Leary are playing for Galwegians today at 15, 13 and 10 respectively. JP Cooney is on the bench for Garryowen.

Interestingly, Dave Nolan is also listed as a starter for Wegians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I notice Munster have been fairly quiet on this front and is largely to do with their current standing in Pro12. If they don't make CC next season their finances will be a lot worse off.

I don't think it's just that - players want to be around others that play good rugby and they can learn from. Henshaw is a good example - even if the leinster backline is under-performing (they're certainly getting a lot less out of their players than Connacht or Ulster), they do have talent and great player-level rugby knowledge, and it'll rub off.
    Munster really don't have too much to offer on that front and it'd be an uphill struggle for any talented player coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Until he gets enough game time to unlock his potential...... Sorry yep permanent
    Ah that's a bit harsh, Connacht is a much more attractive place than it ever has been and I can't see them bleeding players like in the past.

Well...not so much anyway.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Ah that's a bit harsh, Connacht is a much more attractive place than it ever has been and I can't see them bleeding players like in the past.

Ah I was being purposefully facetious :)

NiallBoo wrote: »

We're still seen as somewhere young players can go to get gametime, but understandably they'll want to move back to their home province if/when they improve enough to be wanted there. We need to improve further so we're seen as an aspiration to play for long term, somewhere players want to go, rather than somewhere players go to to get noticed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

freyners wrote: »

1 year deal so contract is up this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

IBF calling Champions Cup the Heineken Cup!

Maybe you really arent Mark McCafferty? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

There's no way Dennis Buckley isn't top of the turnover charts in the pro 12

• Advertisement

Match thread here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement