Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

I don't understand how when Ireland are in the middle of a perceived "injury crisis" that Healy hasn't got a shot.
    I'd put him close to selection with a full compliment and he's far better than say an Earls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Heenan IQ this summer. Porterbelly mentioned that he may be on the way out. I would be upset if this happened. If his focus was in Ireland and to become IQ where would he go. Connacht is the place for him. He is gaining loads of visibility and connacht is on an upward curve. Then one must consider that players from southern hemisphere are not here for the good of their health. They want to win substantial contracts. Where indeed would he go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Heenan IQ this summer. Porterbelly mentioned that he may be on the way out. I would be upset if this happened. If his focus was in Ireland and to become IQ where would he go. Connacht is the place for him. He is gaining loads of visibility and connacht is on an upward curve. Then one must consider that players from southern hemisphere are not here for the good of their health. They want to win substantial contracts. Where indeed would he go?

Just for background, from September.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/72159970/The-lives-and-times-of-players-in-exile
    I guess I have to make up own mind whether I'll stay here or go home and try for the All Blacks, or try for England but international rugby is definitely on the agenda.
    I was 21 when I moved here. There were no good offers on the table for me back home. This was the best offer for me.

(He's already English qualified by ancestry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Just for background, from September.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/72159970/The-lives-and-times-of-players-in-exile

(He's already English qualified by ancestry)

thanks for that former. good article. now i'm not getting provincial here but connacht do play a mad brand of rugby that allows players to express themselves. it may not be everybodys cup of tea but it is what we as a province want from our team. pat seems to enjoy the life, the mentality (and yes it it is somewhat mental) but it is fun. its why other provincial supporters like connacht. it must be the galway air. i do hope jake doesnt leave. he is a huge part of our team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I read something else lately that suggested he misses home a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he headed back to NZ. You'd have to think his next contract here would be a lot more than what he'd get at home though. I'd be very disappointed if he stayed in Ireland but left Connacht, he's had 2 very long layoffs with injury in his 2.5 seasons and Connacht have been very supportive, not tried to rush him back and put his long-term health ahead of everything. I'd like to think that deserves a bit of loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Zzippy wrote: »
    I read something else lately that suggested he misses home a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he headed back to NZ. You'd have to think his next contract here would be a lot more than what he'd get at home though. I'd be very disappointed if he stayed in Ireland but left Connacht, he's had 2 very long layoffs with injury in his 2.5 seasons and Connacht have been very supportive, not tried to rush him back and put his long-term health ahead of everything. I'd like to think that deserves a bit of loyalty.

Pretty much this. If he goes home fair enough. Even if he goes to England I wouldn't mind too much as actually think he could be starting 7 by the next 6N. Would be very disappointed if he joined another province but I don't think he will.

Has his injury from today being confirmed? Saw he was bleeding but it didn't look overly serious - was it concussion?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't be surprised if he was home sick.

Rehabbing his injuries and not being able to do what he came over here to do would make anyone homesick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just watched the highlights and have read lots of tweets hoping that Masterson's injury is not too bad. Am I mistaken in thinking he suffered a compound fracture, can't get much worse really if so. Poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was home sick.

Rehabbing his injuries and not being able to do what he came over here to do would make anyone homesick.

hope the games he's playing now are giving him some pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights and have read lots of tweets hoping that Masterson's injury is not too bad. Am I mistaken in thinking he suffered a compound fracture, can't get much worse really if so. Poor lad.

Shiiii hope he's alright, only back to catch the end of the game yesterday. Thought that he was one of our revelation players this season. Hope he's alright, has a very bright future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Connacht become an equal to the other three provinces (and it's going that way), it does raise a question on the number of NIE players Connacht have been allowed to sign. The large influx of foreign players was designed to help Connacht get to an equal level. Now that Connacht are getting there, should they be allowed so many?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If Connacht become an equal to the other three provinces (and it's going that way), it does raise a question on the number of NIE players Connacht have been allowed to sign. The large influx of foreign players was designed to help Connacht get to an equal level. Now that Connacht are getting there, should they be allowed so many?

I would be against that as long as the funding required was there aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

What are the rules here? By me reckoning there is only 1 player in the Connacht squad who can't play for Ireland - George Naoupu. Does anybody know what the story with AJ McGinty is?

S12b wrote: »
    What are the rules here? By me reckoning there is only 1 player in the Connacht squad who can't play for Ireland - George Naoupu. Does anybody know what the story with AJ McGinty is?

He's NIQ an American international player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

McGinty's NIQ also, despite being Irish. The issue relates more to the number of project players. However, as we're seeing at the moment, Connacht are a long way from being equal to the other provinces, so it's a non issue at this stage anyway.

If we are qualified for Champions Cup by our own merit, it is the ideal moment to push for equal funding right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Anyone know which players contracts are up this summer? Marshall, Muldowney and Heenan anyway..who else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If they want to give equal funding to Connacht then fine. There are also a lot less NIQ players in the squad than it might seem/people think. I'd say it's actually something similar to what Ulster will have next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Bazzo wrote: »
    If they want to give equal funding to Connacht then fine. There are also a lot less NIQ players in the squad than it might seem/people think. I'd say it's actually something similar to what Ulster will have next season.

If Connacht are held to the same NIQ rules they would need to seriously invest in the academy, which really is what the IRFU should want as it promotes Irish players over NIQs. As things stand Connacht would have to get rid of 1 NIQ and thats just to meet the quota, so they couldnt bring in anyone else from abroad to bolster the squad (unless they were IQ, obviously), they would need a constant stream of players to be coming through from the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Tox56 wrote: »
    If Connacht are held to the same NIQ rules they would need to seriously invest in the academy, which really is what the IRFU should want as it promotes Irish players over NIQs. As things stand Connacht would have to get rid of 1 NIQ and thats just to meet the quota, so they couldnt bring in anyone else from abroad to bolster the squad (unless they were IQ, obviously), they would need a constant stream of players to be coming through from the inside

There is a reasonably healthy stream of players coming through; take a look at the number of players in the squad who have come through the academy, as well as a lot of older players playing elsewhere who came through the connacht academy.

While this obviously needs to keep improving (and isn't at the level of the other provinces yet), it's probably in better shape than some people outside connacht think. And I say that without nearly as much knowledge as a lot of people in this thread, who I'm sure will back that up.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »

What are the rules/quotas?

What are the rules/quotas?

It used to be 3 NIQs + 1 project player but seeing as Ulster will have 4 NIQs + 2 projects next season that has seemingly been relaxed/gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Padkir wrote: »
    There is a reasonably healthy stream of players coming through; take a look at the number of players in the squad who have come through the academy, as well as a lot of older players playing elsewhere who came through the connacht academy.

While this obviously needs to keep improving (and isn't at the level of the other provinces yet), it's probably in better shape than some people outside connacht think. And I say that without nearly as much knowledge as a lot of people in this thread, who I'm sure will back that up.

Connacht representation in underage teams is certainly improved and the current academy has a number of prospects, but the fact its not at the level of the other provinces is pretty much my point, it needs to get to that level, or at least close to it. A constant stream of players that go on to represent Ireland is what the other provinces have, and what Connacht will need to be self-sufficient

Ulster lost

Bad news Scarlets won't be out of top 6

Good news we're top of the league by a Two-point margin !

Bazzo wrote: »
    It used to be 3 NIQs + 1 project player but seeing as Ulster will have 4 NIQs + 2 projects next season that has seemingly been relaxed/gone out the window.

Are NIQ's players who have been capped by other countries?

So we have 2 NIQ's and 4 project players

Are NIQ's players who have been capped by other countries?

So we have 2 NIQ's and 4 project players

Yea or players going after 2 years could be termed as NIQ

Next week-end is crucial

lose and we're out of top 6, my opinion
    win and we can focus on the top 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

connachta wrote: »
    Next week-end is crucial

How can you think that way. Its going to take 3 defeats for connacht to drop down the table and other sides will lose games too

Next week-end is crucial

Aren't you a ball of sunshine

• Advertisement

Next week-end is crucial

No offence connachta but you're relentlessly pessimistic. Weren't you predicting one win on here for the 8 games starting with scarlets away at one stage??

calico77 wrote: »
    How can you think that way. Its going to take 3 defeats for connacht to drop down the table and other sides will lose games too

Any of Scarlets Ulster and Munster will win at least 5. Ospreys might.
    Connacht should win this one, last home fixture with international players away. After it, it will be awfully harder.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    No offence connachta but you're relentlessly pessimistic. Weren't you predicting one win on here for the 8 games starting with scarlets away at one stage??

And I still do for the last 7.

Aren't you a ball of sunshine

I am, right?:D
    But look what happened last season starting Marsh

And I still do for the last 7.

You really underrate Connacht then.

Connacht should win this one, last home fixture with international players away. After it, it will be awfully harder.

Leinster will be missing a lot of their international contingent for the match in the sportsground.

Honestly we're in a great position, any other team in this position wouldn't be wringing their hands and worrying about finishing in the top half of the table and neither should we.

• Advertisement

You really underrate Connacht then.

Nope, I just think we'll face the best team in the worse moment

1) Ulster, Ravenhill, with their international players
    2) Same for Glasgow, "A" team back to it best in the last two games, even without half of their players
    3) Treviso AWAY, improving and maybe playing for a Champions Cup spot on their LAST HOME game against us
    4) Edinburgh, never far from winning recently, I think they'll do so in Murrayfield
    5) Leinster with Healy back, mick Kearney back, Jack Conan.. Always dangerous
    6) Munster, with all their international guys back, fighting for their last chance top 4 coming in the Sportsground
    7) Ospreys "A", improved on the last two games led by Sam Davies. But at the Sportsground we HAVE TO do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

and if connacht win games against Ospreys, Munster, both at home, it pushes them back, then there is winnable games at Edinburgh and Treviso. The teams all have games against one another so its not like they can all win 5-6 games in the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

We're top of the table.
    Just after picking up 3 league wins in a row with bonus points.
    Top try scorers in the league.
    Playing some of the most exciting rugby in the league.
    Have only once this season failed to pick up at least a LBP.

And some people still aren't happy.

Time to get over the negativity and poor relation feeling. We are where we are on merit this season.

Next week-end is crucial

What a pile of sh**e!!

Nope, I just think we'll face the best team in the worse moment

1) Ulster, Ravenhill, with their international players
    2) Same for Glasgow, "A" team back to it best in the last two games, even without half of their players
    3) Treviso AWAY, improving and maybe playing for a Champions Cup spot on their LAST HOME game against us
    4) Edinburgh, never far from winning recently, I think they'll do so in Murrayfield
    5) Leinster with Healy back, mick Kearney back, Jack Conan.. Always dangerous
    6) Munster, with all their international guys back, fighting for their last chance top 4 coming in the Sportsground
    7) Ospreys "A", improved on the last two games led by Sam Davies. But at the Sportsground we HAVE TO do the job
    What a pile of sh**e!!

Instead of being condescendant, read and anwser that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

connachta, i don't think we need fear any teams we've proved that we can win away when even I predicted we would'nt. my own pessimism has been replaced with optimism the team has the right attitude and will to win. I dont think Leinster have been playing particulaliry well and even with the players you mentioned I think we can win that match, as for the others yes Ospreys will be tough but sometimes their attitude away from home can be questioned, even if we don't a bonus point would be ok and not end of top 6 or even top 4. Edinburgh and Ulster are both games we can pick points, after leinster i fear the last few matches but by then we might have secured our top 6

Instead of being condescendant, read and anwser that

Edinburgh have lost their last three games. We can win over there.
    The home interpros will be tough battles but I can't remember the last season we didn't win at least one interpro at home. I don't expect it to happen in our best season ever.
    Treviso hadn't won for a year until recently, we're a significantly better team.
    We beat Ospreys during the World Cup and will be favourites to do so again next weekend.
    Ravenhill will be tough but god knows we are due a win up there but can't expect it admittedly.

Top4 is the aim and really top2, home semi would be good.

typhoony wrote: »
    connachta, i don't think we need fear any teams we've proved that we can win away when even I predicted we would'nt. my own pessimism has been replaced with optimism the team has the right attitude and will to win. I dont think Leinster have been playing particulaliry well and even with the players you mentioned I think we can win that match, as for the others yes Ospreys will be tough but sometimes their attitude away from home can be questioned, even if we don't a bonus point would be ok and not end of top 6 or even top 4. Edinburgh and Ulster are both games we can pick points, after leinster i fear the last few matches but by then we might have secured our top 6

There I agree. That's why this game is so important. Win it and the momentum is on.

[QUOTE=ClanofLams;98804741 top2, home semi would be good.[/QUOTE]

No, let's be reasonable.

No, let's be reasonable.

Yeah because saying when we're top of the league that one loss means we won't get top 6 is perfectly reasonable! The top2 bit was half tongue in cheek but only half & I expect it to have been mentioned in the SG. It would be a big financial boost.

Edinburgh have lost their last three games. We can win over there.
    The serie of very tight defeat has to end, probably home, like us against Scarlets

The home interpros will be tough battles but I can't remember the last season we didn't win at least one interpro at home. I don't expect it to happen in our best season ever.
    You may be right, but Leinster and Munster will have much more at stake than they usually have coming to the Sportsground before the new year

Treviso hadn't won for a year until recently, we're a significantly better team.
    But they'll throw everything in this game. Except if they are already more than 5 points behind Zebre. Fingers crossed

We beat Ospreys during the World Cup and will be favourites to do so again next weekend.
    Yeah, very slight favorite, that's why it's now or never to heal the battle calll.

Ravenhill will be tough but god knows we are due a win up there but can't expect it admittedly.

Yeah because saying when we're top of the league that one loss means we won't get top 6 is perfectly reasonable! The top2 bit was half tongue in cheek but only half & I expect it to have been mentioned in the SG. It would be a big financial boost.

Very very unlikely. Once again, it's not because it won't be magical, it's because of the respective fixtures of the 8 team in contention. Look at them carefully like I did every week.

Right I'm done. You're just naturally very pessimistic I guess, that's OK means you're never disappointed!

Very very unlikely. Once again, it's not because it won't be magical, it's because of the respective fixtures of the 8 team in contention. Look at them carefully like I did every week.

I pretty much know them off by heart at this stage. I don't expect it to happen but it's more likely than falling out of the top6. You thought we would lose to Scarlets at home and Dragons away if I remember correctly?

means you're never disappointed!

I was last season when I really thought we would be able to beat Glasgow and Ospreys home. we weren't. So allow me to be distrustful.
    Maybe the team improved enough, maybe not

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement