Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

testtech05 wrote: »
    Anyone else heading over to Cardiff this weekend? Any tips for where to head before/after the game?

I'm going and about 6 more that I know off
    All got tickets for the North Stand, gonna use City Arms Pub as our base
    Check the Connacht Clan as may be tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »
    with squad update they are the obvious choices

1) Lough
    2) Delahunt
    3) White
    6) Muldoon
    7) Connolly
    8) McKeon
    9) Marms
    11) Healy
    12) Ron
    13) Aki

17) Bealham
    18) AhYou
    21) Porter

And then the possibilties for Lam to choose

4/5/19 between Roux/Dillane/Marshall/Muldowney
    14/15/23 Parata/Leader, TOH/Leader, Parata/TOH, Niyi/TOH, Niyi/Leader
    10/21 AJ or Carty
    20 Naoupu

Poolman is still out, which combination would you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marc O Polo

Bad news folks! Hearing Aj has to get surgery on a knee ligament injury! Not clear how long he'll be out but doesn't look good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Bad news folks! Hearing Aj has to get surgery on a knee ligament injury! Not clear how long he'll be out but doesn't look good!

Jesus the injuries keep coming. He walked off the pitch though, didn't he? Could hardly be ACL so, more likely medial ligament (circa 6 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'm going and about 6 more that I know off
    All got tickets for the North Stand, gonna use City Arms Pub as our base
    Check the Connacht Clan as may be tickets
    Cheers wp_rathead. Theres 2 of us heading over think we are north stand also! Looking forward to Friday now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

We just can't catch a break with injuries...

Well, Jack, you've been loking better and better. Now's your chance to make that 10 jersey yours.

S12b is right though; there's no way in hell you could walk after doing your ACL so it must be the medial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Only silver lining with AJ out is might see Ronaldson at OH at somepoint - but sickened for MacGinty, had a stormer vs Munster

Carty has been playing great stuff so not overly concerned though

That Injured XV that b.gud sometimes makes is looking pretty strong though :(

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

testtech05 wrote: »
    Cheers wp_rathead. Theres 2 of us heading over think we are north stand also! Looking forward to Friday now!!

2 more here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Only silver lining with AJ out is might see Ronaldson at OH at somepoint - but sickened for MacGinty, had a stormer vs Munster

Carty has been playing great stuff so not overly concerned though

That Injured XV that b.gud sometimes makes is looking pretty strong though :(

Was just thinking that when I heard the injury update this morning. The only plus is that flouncer showed earlier we can still put out a good team and we've got a few players coming back this week and in the next few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

connachta wrote: »
    Poolman is still out, which combination would you choose?

We talk about players stepping up. I think parata looks great. One comment you made recently about Healy is that defensively he can be weak. I agree. The other side of the coin in from an attacking perspective he can be immense. I think parata can be both (though we don't have enough evidence yet the indicators are good). So I would go parata on the wing.

Its one thing that has really impressed me about tiernan this year. On 71 minutes (when he got injured) he took down saili. So job done. Not a bit. He was up like a shot and took Williams down short of the line. Not only is his tackling impressive but the never give up attitude is fantastic. If he hadn't recovered so quickly Munster were in for a try which would have possibly killed the game.

The only concern in my lineup is the lack of Buckley. The Buckley/delahunt/white axis were as solid as I've seen our scrum all year. I can't say how Ronan will do.

Listened to newstalk last night. Tiernan spoke well about what it is to be Connacht (available on news talk podcast). Also involved was Bernard Jackman and Eddie O'Sullivan. Bernard still believes the other 3 provinces are our best bets in Europe. And I got what he said. We may be top of the league, be playing nice rugby, we are still not the proven article. The point was made about Connacht's demise in the second half of last season.

And this brings me to the point that we finally do have the same type of cover in all areas that the other provinces have. Aj did well and jack was really impressive. He kicked a lovely ball into the corner the minute he came on. He was about to pass out wide some minutes later but detected that saili could have intercepted so took it into contact. He challenged gain lines a couple of times as well. He simply played very well. And if he gets injured ronaldson is playing a blinder these days. So he can move into out half and we have Dave mcsharry back to cover centre.

Can you in living memory memory remember us ever having that type of cover in all areas while still being able to field a first team from our list of injured. This is my main reason for believing the dream doesn't need to end. If I were to say one position we may struggle in it would be Buckleys.

In terms of cardiff , its a must win game. So we play our best team. Then we can rest for Newcastle who I watched at the weekend. They are no great shakes.

I won't have the game available to folks until tomorrow. My upload speed is shocking and the file is just short of 5 gigs in size. Sorry about that

• Advertisement

As promised here is the link to munster connacht match in its full glory

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-JPSvrJBlS3cW1yS01yQjNweGs/view?usp=sharing

Please be aware that it is nearly 5 Gigs in size so it will take some time to download. Also be aware that if you use windows media player you will get audio but no video. So you need to download VLC media player (google it) and install it. Then when you want to play the file right click on it and select VLC media player as the means to open the file. Enjoy a piece of history :-). Any issues let me know

Gordon D'Arcy is back with another great article. This one has a bit of a Connacht angle to it, and discusses the possibility of Henshaw moving.

I think this is the first article that I've read that give a fairly balanced view of where Henshaw is and why he might benefit from moving and also why he might benefit from staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

b.gud wrote: »
    Gordon D'Arcy is back with another great article. This one has a bit of a Connacht angle to it, and discusses the possibility of Henshaw moving.

I think this is the first article that I've read that give a fairly balanced view of where Henshaw is and why he might benefit from moving and also why he might benefit from staying

The only good argument he puts forward for Henshaw moving to Leinster is playing regularly with Sexton. But surely a 9-10 partnership should be playing together more than a 10-12, so let's move Sexton to Munster to play with Murray. Why stop there? Devin Toner should go to Ulster to play alongside Iain Henderson regularly. It's an argument that holds little water. The fact that he is playing in the best-coached team in Ireland alongside a 2-time Super 15 winner is probably more important - he'll learn a lot more playing beside Bundee Aki than he will with Ben Teo, plus our centre partnership will have a great understanding when Aki starts playing for Ireland... ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not too gone on the moving to XYZ to play with XYZ either, I'd rate moving, or staying, to play in one position much higher.

If you want to be an international centre it's best to be playing games at centre for your club. When people talk of improving the skills of players I think actually playing repeatedly in one position, with good coaching, is a good way to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

All these arguments are built on the Connacht fans' assumption that Henshaw "is being moved" by the IRFU. He's not.

The only argument that will have any bearing on anything is whether he wants to move. If he moves, it's because he wants to.

The Blues are changing up their training routine this week, in the hopes of sorting out their poor run of form

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-players-sent-team-10534329

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He's dead right about the amount of players we're producing creating a bottle neck, and sending players to other countries being a way to release some pressure.

He's also right that Leinster arguably have an academy that is too small for all the schools talent coming out of it. I mean, Aj had to go to America to become a pro. However I think Connacht now have a lot of depth too, I was very impressed with Connolly at 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    He's dead right about the amount of players we're producing creating a bottle neck, and sending players to other countries being a way to release some pressure.

He's also right that Leinster arguably have an academy that is too small for all the schools talent coming out of it. I mean, Aj had to go to America to become a pro. However I think Connacht now have a lot of depth too, I was very impressed with Connolly at 7.
    There is a bottle neck and Leinster just choose the best(not just schools talent as there is huge numbers coming through youths systems as well) and can discard many others(to an extent).
    AJ didn't have to go to America to become a pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

D'Arcy mentions Rodney Ah You moving to Ulster. What's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

His contract is up at the end of the season and there have been rumours that he may move to Ulster. Connacht have White, Bealham and O'Donnell in his position but he would be clearly ahead of two of those players at the moment. I'm not sure where he would fit in the Ulster pecking order but I doubt he'd be first choice there either.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

Bit of bottleneck in Connacht these days as well. Maybe we need a 5th province :-). In all seriousness I agree with his viewpoint that players should be allowed to go abroad without repercussions to potential international career.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

flouncer wrote: »
    Bit of bottleneck in Connacht these days as well. Maybe we need a 5th province :-). In all seriousness I agree with his viewpoint that players should be allowed to go abroad without repercussions to potential international career.

Just as a matterof interest, what are the chances of a 5th Provence long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Stan27 wrote: »

0% I would think

0%.
    Where do you base it? How would it attract support both financially and people? Who would support it over existing sides?

Well now I threw the idea out there here's something to consider. I had suggested that Connacht marketing should use the green lanterns as a branding statement. Well how about not being connacht but being the green lanterns. Are Leinster really Leinster or more a Dublin's based team. Is Munster not really a team based in the limerick cork area.

So can we forget the provincial idea and move towards a different naming structure. Then we can introduce more teams and players can see more opportunity at home. Of course there is the issue of over-diluting which weakens the current structure. However if we have the talent to provide further professional teams maybe its a thought. It would more opportunities for players that are today being swept under the carpet.

I hold no opinion on this but it is a thought. I do take the point that funding would be a problem. That said is the irfu not running a nice profit these days

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

0%.
    Where do you base it? How would it attract support both financially and people? Who would support it over existing sides?
    Cork.

It has a recently redeveloped stadium and the current fortunes of IMN means you could probably buy out the naming rights. The Cork Examiner or Skibereen Eagle would be perfect corporate partners.

It could provide a useful split of the Munster Debt Spiral and puts an end to the to the hurt Cork feels from losing out on the nomadic aspect of Munster's training encampments now that they've settled in Limerick.

They're used to seeing a handful of games a year and would probably appreciate some more action. Let them expropriate Kilkenny and Waterford.

Call them De Real Capital Rebels and sell it to the locals in that, as a sweetener, they can continue to wave Confederate flags for a lead in period (say 4 years) despite the rest of the civilised world finding them distasteful in the extreme. Foster that separatist spirit.

I should be pitching franchises to the NFL. Please do not take a word of this seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That is a really interesting article. I think he is bang on the money.

vienne86 wrote: »
    That is a really interesting article. I think he is bang on the money.
    Don't think you read zzippys retort which I think is 10 times more bang on the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well Meath is the traditional 5th province...

320px-Flag_of_Mide.svg.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

All the publicity about Connacht's improved ball handling skills under Dave Ellis has persuaded Les Kiss that Rodney is the ideal backup to Ruan Pienaar. He just doesn't think Paul Marshall is big enough for a modern 9, so he's going as big as he can and Rodders is his target. Apparently he's in a bidding war with Mad Mourad, though, with Rodney set to be the first player to break the million a year mark in Ireland. That's sterling, BTW...

Winters wrote: »
    Well Meath is the traditional 5th province...

320px-Flag_of_Mide.svg.png

You make a very valid point. Henshaw would obviously move being a 'West''Meath' man, tiernans dad is from Westmeath so that move is a given and delahunt is just down the road in Offaly. Shure we already have the makings of a team :-)

flouncer wrote: »
    You make a very valid point. Henshaw would obviously move being a 'West''Meath' man, tiernans dad is from Westmeath so that move is a given and delahunt is just down the road in Offaly. Shure we already have the makings of a team :-)

Don't forget big Dev in the second row

Don't forget big Dev in the second row
    This 5th team is getting more competitive minute by minute :-).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Zzippy wrote: »
    All the publicity about Connacht's improved ball handling skills under Dave Ellis has persuaded Les Kiss that Rodney is the ideal backup to Ruan Pienaar. He just doesn't think Paul Marshall is big enough for a modern 9, so he's going as big as he can and Rodders is his target. Apparently he's in a bidding war with Mad Mourad, though, with Rodney set to be the first player to break the million a year mark in Ireland. That's sterling, BTW...
    I can live with that given Denis Buckley's amazing cameos at scrum half last week. Hell, I've even seen him kick the ball with reasonably competency for a prop.

Some bad news, Muldoons beard is gone :(

INPHO_00996585.jpg

In better news it looks like Jake Heenan is potentially taking part in some contact training

INPHO_00996596.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

speaking of Rodders I think i saw him in the tunnel before the Munster Game, I'd say he's only 1 week of training away from being available for selection

0%.

Well the players we are producing and if the funds were available either Waterford/ cork city or in the middle of the country (athlone) has motorway and population.

Though I still think more attention should be put in the Ail great competition. Sad so see the small crowds there

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chrstoper

Well the players we are producing and if the funds were available either Waterford/ cork city or in the middle of the country (athlone) has motorway and population.

Though I still think more attention should be put in the Ail great competition. Sad so see the small crowds there

enough players aren't being produced, hence all the NIQ's in the country.

most of connacht squad came through leinster schools and clubs.

chrstoper wrote: »

Ye but I am talking like 10 years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chrstoper

Ye but I am talking like 10 years down the line.

current province need to be funded enough so they can stay competitive, let alone another province being created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

typhoony wrote: »
    speaking of Rodders I think i saw him in the tunnel before the Munster Game, I'd say he's only 1 week of training away from being available for selection

Think he was on standby

I can't see him moving anywhere, not by choice anyway. He's a quite guy, has a young family and loves it here. He's also loved by the fans, a real cult hero. He has had his tough days but the fans have stuck by him all along. I wouldn't underestimate that.

current province need to be funded enough so they can stay competitive, let alone another province being created.
    Well from a political point of view it would give means for thought.. Anyway, I dragged this up, as I usually do, so let's just put it down to flouncing about and Robbie won't move to the kingdom of Meath just yet :-)

None of these would work. What is great about our pro set up is that the sides were based on historical provinces but they cant be expanded. Athlone(and surrounding areas) doesn't have population to keep a pro side alive and putting a team in South East or in South wont work as it takes away from Leinster/Munster.

Talk on AIL better suited for the AIL/another thread but very difficult to get crowds back to AIL/.

Not true that most of Connachts squad came through Leinster.

ok, i feel the need. here we go. its a strange thing how muldoon and tiernan have shared captaincy. then you look at aly this weekend and he simply did pull players out of confrontation. i did say a couple of years ago that aly was my preferred captain. And he remains that. What was that web summit stuff about. Muldowney is a star. Then connachta mentions leader as full back. What you miss is tiernan controls the back line. You could see it in robbie's face that he didn't like tiernan telling him what to do but tiernan was selected captain (in johns absence) for a reason. He runs the backline because he deserves to run the backline. So he directs the backline. Hence the reason for tiernan over darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster don't have enough crap props.

Would it be based on the Cote D'Azure? A lot of players would love it. Recruitment would be a breeze....blowing gently in off the Med.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

More Connacht players came through Leinster schools and clubs than any other 'system' - if that's the correct term - but it's not most of the squad.

There aren't enough players. If there were Ulster wouldn't need to employ Black, Herring, Tuohy, Van der Merwe, Herbst, Diack, O'Connor, Bronson Ross, Clive Ross, Reidy, Pienaar, Shanahan, Windsor, Peter Browne, Ludik, Ruairdh Murphy, Jared Payne, Paul Rowley and Nick Williams. If there were a surfeit of players most of those above would be elsewhere and suitable 'local' players would be in the squad.

there's a grand breeze blowing in from lough ree. the lads dont need any of that madterrainan stuff :-)

and there's a cost saving already. none of these foreign holidays needed. just a nice icy dip in the local lake. The rationale behind this midlands (meath hmmmm) team looking solid :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement