Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

astonaidan wrote: »
    Great match, some serious running game, I saw back line moves today from Connacht than Ive seen from Ireland in 3 years. Great experience for my first match. Surely Healy and TOH put their hands up for a Ireland jersey against Scotland or Italy

Oh and Ospreys player never got held, was like 6 feet away definite score, no idea how it wasnt given

toh cant play fullback (or be replacement) for ireland as it mutually excludes paddy jackson ( I know jackson is already excluded but he cannot be included with toh in the same team without payne taking over at fullback). Healy cant play for ireland because whats the point. you have pat lams way of playing and you have joe's version. Can you honestly see matt make any difference, Even mccloskey, while he did his best, failed. And how could he do anything else. So I wish our connacht players away from the irish regime at the moment.

By the way, a very, very, very well done to Ultan Dillane.

Joe's game is a physical yard by yard game. Not a Matt or Tiernan thing. They simply don't fit and cant fit into that team. So you might wish it but it's not going to happen unless there is a seismic shift in how ireland play rugby.And this is not Joe's fault. Northern Hemisphere rugby is hard yards these days. Its nearly like all the team managers came together and decided that this is the game they will all play. Where is the flair of France, of Wales.. where is any flair. This is the worst 6n I have witnessed full stop. What is enjoyable about it. Unless you like sumo wrestlers simply beating the crap out of each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Actually the article itself isn't all that bad.
    ESPN wrote:
    Connacht were always likely to bounce back, though, and a final penalty from Craig Ronaldson put them out of the visitors' reach.

Delighted with the win, Bundee Aki is some operator!

Also, Matt Healy and Conncaht have been depositing pretty handy amounts of money into my PP account. Too bad I usually lose half of it betting on Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fabulous win for Connacht last nigth - watched some of the match, and it was great to see this performance after the match in Twickenham. Surely that is Connacht in Champions Cup rugby next season, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great win again. I think in the final table that will be seen as one of the most important ones, whether it's in terms of the top six or top four. A win away in Edinburgh next week would be a big ask but it would more or less seal Champions Cup qualification and allow Connacht to throw everything at a tilt at the playoffs and the Challenge Cup safe in the knowledge that the main goal of the season has been achieved.

Grenoble look to have hit a patch of form in the Top 14 and are still in with a shot at the playoffs. If they're still up there in a month's time it might affect how seriously they approach the Challenge Cup quarter final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

A win away in Edinburgh next week would be a big ask

Why? Connacht are in good form, edinburgh not so much. Murrayfield is a decent pitch which will suit connacht too. Think connacht can get a win there. Time to be positive.

calico77 wrote: »
    Why? Connacht are in good form, edinburgh not so much. Murrayfield is a decent pitch which will suit connacht too. Think connacht can get a win there. Time to be positive.

Mainly because I'm going to the game which is sure to jinx them...

That aside though, Edinburgh have a really good home record this season, they've won every home game in all competitions (including beating Glasgow twice) apart from one narrow defeat to Munster. They're at home to Scarlets today so we'll see if they can keep that going.

In contrast they've been awful on the road - just one win in the league (Treviso) all season.

It's not unwinnable for Connacht but if we're looking for wins to seal qualification I think Leinster (H), Munster (H) and Treviso (A) are more likely wins than this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Interesting little piece from the interview with bundee in the Connacht youtube channel. When about the Edinburgh game he mentioned "that's were the final is being played". New goal maybe?

Edinburgh keep the home form going with a one point win over the Scarlets. Huge game next Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Edinburgh keep the home form going with a one point win over the Scarlets. Huge game next Friday.

Good win for Edinburgh today.

• Advertisement

Cardiff doing the other top teams a favour with a 10 point win over Ulster. Every result just seems to bunch the teams more and more in the table.

Cardiff play Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ospreys, Scarlets and Munster before the end of the season. They're too far back themselves to make the top 6 but their games will have a huge say in the top 6/top 4 outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

4 wins from 6 will get a home semi and on current for I think that's very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Grand bit of viewing on a Sunday night!! Bundee creating half a gap with a bit of blocking for Healy's try!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

ClanofLams wrote: »
    4 wins from 6 will get a home semi and on current for I think that's very possible.

3 if you beat embra, ulster and munster. I think anyway cos a few other teams have to play each other and could take points off one another

Connacht look very much like title contenders, don't get some of the negativity at times and I think it's a hangover of seasons gone by.

The better Connacht look, the more disappointed I am that Henshaw felt he could do better elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jesus Sam Davies since that Clermont match has been superb. Seems like he's at the heart of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Jesus Sam Davies since that Clermont match has been superb. Seems like he's at the heart of everything.

He is a really good player. Amazed he is not on the bench for Wales as back up to salsa dancing biggar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

connachta wrote: »
    Little correction in your sentence:D:P
    Only if pidgin English is your first language :pac:

The non-try for Ospreys with an Irish ref is nice justice for Connacht after Cardiff away with a Welsh ref last year.
    What was the call, double movement or moving after the tackle? Looked like the latter to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

What was the call, double movement or moving after the tackle? Looked like the latter to me.

"double movement"

Its actually for not releasing the ball when tackled but often referred to as DM.

To Clarify the definition of a tackle.

"a tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held and brought to the ground"

Its not brought to the ground and held.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    "double movement"

Its actually for not releasing the ball when tackled but often referred to as DM.

Thanks. So it was a complete tackle and he kept going. Couldn't really blame him but it was the right call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Head was a bit sore today! Really enjoyed that win and celebrated well last night.. :o

How we got away with that howler from Clancy I have no idea, but after Cardiff last year I'll take it! If I was an Ospreys fan I'd be disgusted with that decision.
    Apart from that we were full value for the win. Great game to watch, some end to end stuff, two teams playing good attacking rugby, some great tries and we march onward. Great atmosphere in the ground too.

Embra look really tough to beat at home so a win next week would be an even bigger result, but I fully believe we can get it. The team seems full of confidence at the moment, Craig has found his kicking boots superbly, we're scoring tries for fun, we just need to work on defence and I think we can get a few more wins to finish top 4 and possibly even a home semifinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

don't you think Edinburgh win today will make them a bit less under pressure next week, so that we can benefit from losses of concentration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

connachta wrote: »
    don't you think Edinburgh win today will make them a bit less under pressure next week, so that we can benefit from losses of concentration?

Nope, why would professional rugby players lose concentration just because they won a game the previous week? Today maintains their unbeaten record at home, I'd much rather they lost that and took a hit to their confidence... guess we'll just have to end it ourselves ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Nope, why would professional rugby players lose concentration just because they won a game the previous week? Today maintains their unbeaten record at home, I'd much rather they lost that and took a hit to their confidence... guess we'll just have to end it ourselves ;)

Their confidence isn't high, they should have lost if Scarlets kicker was able to succeed in front of the post. What I meant is they have pleased their supporters, ended the losing streak, now they can let it go... I know they won't, still thinking they can be top 6, but they havn't shown enough to scare us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Edinburgh are a dogged side who are well organised in defence, have a good pack and are usually difficult to rack up a score against. Our last 3 games against them tells a story. 14-9, 13-16, 14-13. It won't be as free flowing as the last 2 weeks for sure. Hopefully our body count will look ok heading into that one but we do have an extra day turnaround which hopefully should help. I'd love to see our lads get international recognition but at this stage I hope its left until the summer so as not to break the rhythm we have going.

Their home form has been good all season but I'm confident that we have the bit between our teeth at the moment and it'd be great to have European Qualification effectively secured before the break allowing us to build for the run in with objective no.1 for the season achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Thanks. So it was a complete tackle and he kept going. Couldn't really blame him but it was the right call.

Looked at the 'try' again on highlights and Davies was not held by Marmion at any stage so wasnt a 'complete' tackle. 99 times out of a 100 that would have been given.

Davies is just improving game after game, Wales have to have him on their summer tour. He looks a real game/line breaker and would imagine Roberts would play off him extremely well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Shelflife wrote: »
    "double movement"

This is good analysis. So if he did that sevens trick (release the ball on the ground and pick it back up again) he would be fine? But because he didn't and he got back to his feet he was penalised.

Sounds like it wasn't an injustice after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Webbs wrote: »
    Looked at the 'try' again on highlights and Davies was not held by Marmion at any stage so wasnt a 'complete' tackle. 99 times out of a 100 that would have been given.

Ah sure it's to be expected though. The big teams always get the decisions ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Any word on Bundee.
    He looked quiet lame at the end of the game.
    We will need him big time, particularly if there are a few called up for the last couple of 6N games.

Credit where credit's due, I've been critical of Danny Qualter on here....I felt he had to be showing very little in training as even in the depth's of our injury crisis at lock he couldn't make a match day squad but he was called up last minute Friday and put in a good 40 minutes.....stole 2 lineouts I think.

Linley McKenzie with the following:

Blade, Marshall and Niyi to follow concussion protocols.

Roux and McKeon available.

Initial expected return for Eoghan Masterson - December

I'd be hopeful we would have Dillane available as well, maybe even Nathan White.....if he doesn't play with Connacht Friday night, by the time the Italy game comes around he will only have 80 minutes played in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Marshall and Qualter each stole one lineout according to ESPN stats
    It was prob the best I've seen Danny Qualter play when he came on second half, I thought he was lucky to be given contract last year but he seems a handy squad player

Someone said Cooney had a setback so he is out for another little while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Masterson out til December? :eek:

I know the ACL can be a big deal but 10 months, ouch. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery, he's been huge for us.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Masterson out til December? :eek:

I know the ACL can be a big deal but 10 months, ouch. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery, he's been huge for us.

I suppose at this stage it's very much a guesstimate return date for him. Hopefully rehab goes well for him and he's back well before that.....he's a pillar which we can build the team around.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Number 137

toh cant play fullback (or be replacement) for ireland as it mutually excludes paddy jackson ( I know jackson is already excluded but he cannot be included with toh in the same team without payne taking over at fullback). Healy cant play for ireland because whats the point. you have pat lams way of playing and you have joe's version. Can you honestly see matt make any difference, Even mccloskey, while he did his best, failed. And how could he do anything else. So I wish our connacht players away from the irish regime at the moment.

By the way, a very, very, very well done to Ultan Dillane.

Joe's game is a physical yard by yard game. Not a Matt or Tiernan thing. They simply don't fit and cant fit into that team. So you might wish it but it's not going to happen unless there is a seismic shift in how ireland play rugby.And this is not Joe's fault. Northern Hemisphere rugby is hard yards these days. Its nearly like all the team managers came together and decided that this is the game they will all play. Where is the flair of France, of Wales.. where is any flair. This is the worst 6n I have witnessed full stop. What is enjoyable about it. Unless you like sumo wrestlers simply beating the crap out of each other

To be fair, Ireland played with far more adventure on Saturday than they probably ever did under Schmidt so far, with maybe one or two exceptions. Wishing the Connacht players away from the Irish regime at the moment for the reasons given is ridiculous. Of course Connacht will benefit by not having players called up during a crucial period. But that's the only benefit. Exposure to the national team will only benefit the players involved, and therefore, benefit Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Definitely injured:
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Andrew Browne|A/C Fracture|Mid/Late February
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|ACL|Next Season
    John Cooney|Shoulder Dislocation/Tear|Leinster Match
    Dave McSharry|Concussion|Unknown
    Darragh Leader|Wrist|Next Season
    Jack Carty|Spleen/Waterslide Ouch|Light training, possible return before end of season
    Shane Delahunt|Unknown|Unknown
    Rory Parata|Kneecap|Mid-March/Possible Surgery
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|December 2016

Returning: Quinn Roux, Eoin McKeon.

HIA Protocols from Ospreys game: Niyi Adeolokun, Caolin Blade, Ben Marshall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

nobbo wrote: »
    Word is that John Mul is out for tonight. Hamstring.
    Any update on this? Haven't herd any mention of it since.

Any update on this? Haven't herd any mention of it since.

"still being monitored ahead of Edinburgh" is what I heard

Have a feeling Dillane will be kept in Irish Camp so won't be available
    So George into SR with Muldowney, Qualter or Roux on bench and McKeon at 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Id hope Dillane might be released. He hasn't had a whole lot of game time recently. Might be allowed to bench.

I've heard that Muldowney may have agreed terms to sign for Grenoble. Has anybody else heard this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Number 137 wrote: »
    I've heard that Muldowney may have agreed terms to sign for Grenoble. Has anybody else heard this?

Ya those rumours have being going around for weeks now

Would be an awful pity to see Muldowney go. He consistently delivers good performances. I suppose at his age, maybe it's an opportunity for one more big pay day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

On Twitter over the weekend, he was asking for recommendations for a junior rugby club in Galway so let's optimistically cling to that as a sign he's hanging around.

Nah he is 99% gone from what I heard I'm afraid
    Be massive loss but Roux and Dillane have the ingredients of a great partnership
    Bit thin behind that though
    Maybe Lam be able coax Mick Kearney back, think just 1 year deal he signed with Leinster..

S12b wrote: »

Linley McKenzie with the following:

Initial expected return for Eoghan Masterson - December

Awful news..

Roux and McKeon available.

Great news!!!

I'd be hopeful we would have Dillane available as well, maybe even Nathan White.....if he doesn't play with Connacht Friday night, by the time the Italy game comes around he will only have 80 minutes played in 4 weeks.

Mixed feelings but anyway
    Dillane, Muldowney, Roux for locks
    Heenan SOB 2.0 McKeon and Naoupu for back row.
    Could be worsebiggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

by the the sounds of it Schmidt has conceded that the provinces need their players back, we should have a very strong squad to pick from. Our fortunes just keep getting better and better.

edit: just seen above post, wow even Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

b.gud wrote: »

Sweet Jesus that would be awesome.

That GIF is going to go miles on this thread for many years.

That is excellent, there is about 40 Connacht fans heading over- gonna be some craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

To be fair, Ireland played with far more adventure on Saturday than they probably ever did under Schmidt so far, with maybe one or two exceptions. Wishing the Connacht players away from the Irish regime at the moment for the reasons given is ridiculous. Of course Connacht will benefit by not having players called up during a crucial period. But that's the only benefit. Exposure to the national team will only benefit the players involved, and therefore, benefit Connacht.

I don't disagree with what you say. Maybe we could get away with matt being called up (we do have niyi, poolman, Carr and parata(if fit). We have no natural replacement fullback. The end of the season (both pro12 and challenge cup) is huge for Connacht this year. So let Payne and zebo cover fullback. We simply don't need tiernan called up.

And in truth if both started for Ireland in the last two games and both play blinders what does it prove. Absolutely nothing. They would be playing against the minnows so would have achieved absolutely nothing. They have more important things to achieve this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement