Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

I don't disagree with what you say. Maybe we could get away with matt being called up (we do have niyi, poolman, Carr and parata(if fit). We have no natural replacement fullback. The end of the season (both pro12 and challenge cup) is huge for Connacht this year. So let Payne and zebo cover fullback. We simply don't need tiernan called up.

it's actually irrelevent now, if any other players get called up they will still be available for Edinburgh and Leinster, and by then the 6 nations is over anyway

the big question is who makes way for Robbie, the form of all our backs means they certainly will want to continue playing.

would resting Aki be such a bad thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

exactly what I'm thinking typhoony, straight swap for Bundee- no point risking his ankle with such important games coming up
    although would love to see Robbie and Bundee back in the center i'll admit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Other option is put Robbie at FB and give Tiernan a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd agree but for the fact there is 2 weeks off between Edinburgh and Leinster so unless he has a niggle I'd leave him- he doesn't seem in need of a rest atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

typhoony wrote: »
    it's actually irrelevent now, if any other players get called up they will still be available for Edinburgh and Leinster, and by then the 6 nations is over anyway

Not sure what you say is true. Yes there is a two week pro12 layoff at the time of the last two internationals. If matt and tiernan were involved with Ireland and considering player welfare and the fact they have had a lot of game time this season could they become unavailable against Leinster? If so I wouldnt be thrilled if I was pat having them play two largely irrelevant games and in the process put our season in jeopardy should something happen to them.

And then I don't get resting aki against Edinburgh unless injured as he gets a two week rest after the game before the Leinster game

Edit: ignore second comment. Misread totally what you were saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Jesus that's huge......as good as Ronaldson has been for us a midfield of Aki and Henshaw has the potential to win you a game on their own.

And with Carty injured we might finally get Ronaldson at 10 with our first choice backline of Healy, Aki, Henshaw, Poolman and TOH....bring on the tries! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I, like I'm pretty sure everyone else on this thread, would love to see Ronaldson at 10. I can pretty much guarantee you it won't happen though. He could actually be benched before getting a run at 10, we've seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

S12b wrote: »
    Jesus that's huge......as good as Ronaldson has been for us a midfield of Aki and Henshaw has the potential to win you a game on their own.

And with Carty injured we might finally get Ronaldson at 10 with our first choice backline of Healy, Aki, Henshaw, Poolman and TOH....bring on the tries! ;)

Healy, Aki, Henshaw, Poolman and TOH?
    Dillane and Muldowney with Big Roux on the bench?
    Freak (McCartney) and Heenan for the N-Z touch?
    Buckley as propping Scrum-Half:D?

Naaah that's too mean for Embra:P

• Advertisement

On against the head Gavin made no reference to other potential Irish players from the Connacht squad. Damm right. He knows what's at stake. It could be the first time in our history that we make it to the champions cup on our own bat, the first time in our history we make it into the semi's of the pro 12. Sorry Ireland. Off with ya.

Ronaldson actually played quite a lot recently, could be preserved as an impact player, as A.J seemed to have worked his kicking game against Zebre. I think if we really want to win, we should try

9) Marmion
    10) MacGinty
    11) Heals
    12) Aki
    13) Henshaw
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH
    21) Blade
    22) Ronaldson
    23) Finn

add the pack made of

1) Buckley (can play SH too ;) )
    2) McCartney
    3) Bealham
    4) Dillane
    5) Muldowney
    6) SOB 2.0
    7) Heenan
    8 ) McKeon
    16) Heffernan
    17) Lough
    18) Whitey
    19) Big Roux
    20) Big Georges

That is just a dream team isn't it?

I expect Mul to be back, also you're asking a bit much of McGinty to play 2 positions out-half and hooker

typhoony wrote: »
    I expect Mul to be back, also you're asking a bit much of McGinty to play 2 positions out-half and hooker

I edited
    50 kilos added, and he would be ok though!

connachta wrote: »
    Ronaldson actually played quite a lot recently, could be preserved as an impact player, as A.J seemed to have worked his kicking game against Zebre. I think if we really want to win, we should try

9) Marmion
    10) MacGinty
    11) Heals
    12) Aki
    13) Henshaw
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH
    21) Blade
    22) Ronaldson
    23) Finn

add the pack made of

1) Buckley (can play SH too ;) )
    2) McCartney
    3) Bealham
    4) Dillane
    5) Muldowney
    6) SOB 2.0
    7) Heenan
    8 ) McKeon
    16) Heffernan
    17) Lough
    18) Whitey
    19) Big Roux
    20) Big Georges

That is just a dream team isn't it?

Blade was concussed on Friday so the odds of him being ready for a game this Friday are slim to none, Porter will be on the bench.

I haven't really checked but I think Ronaldson has played less than either of TOH or Bundee this season? I'd rest one of them ahead of him tbh, but as I said I wouldn't be shocked if he gets the 22 jersey as that's what happened when Henshaw was available for the Scarlets match.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Blade was concussed on Friday so the odds of him being ready for a game this Friday are slim to none, Porter will be on the bench.

I haven't really checked but I think Ronaldson has played less than either of TOH or Bundee this season? I'd rest one of them ahead of him tbh, but as I said I wouldn't be shocked if he gets the 22 jersey as that's what happened when Henshaw was available for the Scarlets match.

Aki and TOH are too precious to have a rest before a two-week rest

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »

Why would you rest tiernan or bundee. They are on fire. We are in the final phase of our season. These guys have got us there. To rest them would be mental. Look at if from their eyes. They have something huge in the offing that they have been a major part of and then 'we need a rest'. I think not

Why would you rest tiernan or bundee. They are on fire. We are in the final phase of our season. These guys have got us there. To rest them would be mental. Look at if from their eyes. They have something huge in the offing that they have been a major part of and then 'we need a rest'. I think not

Fully agree. Hard for him but if one of the backs have to be bench, there is no other choice than picking Craig. Except If McGinty doesn't feel the boots in training this week.

This really isn't the time to be resting players.

Connacht are in pole position on top of the league. I haven't done any maths on this but I'd assume if we win 4 of our 6 remaining games, we're pretty much guaranteed a play-off spot. Edinburgh is a very winnable game so we should be going absolutely full on for the win, as I'm sure the squad will be. They have a week off then to get the bodies right for the run in.

For what it's worth I actually don't think we should rest anyone, my preference would be moving Ronaldson to 10 to make way for Henshaw, but that won't happen.

I'd forgotten about the 2 week break. If agree no need to be looking at resting anyone. Just get the best ream possible on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If Robbie is released we simply have to play him, but I'd play him at fullback and move TOH to wing in place of Niyi, keep Craig and Bundee together in the centre. Craig is kicking too well to be rested, I don't want to be relying on AJ kicking in a tight game in Murrayfield...

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about the 2 week break. If agree no need to be looking at resting anyone. Just get the best ream possible on the field.

The question is what's the best team available?

Ronaldson 10 Aki 12 Henshaw 13
    Ronaldson 10 Henshaw 12 Aki 13
    MacGinty 10 Aki 12 Henshaw 13 (my choice)
    MacGinty 10 Ronaldson 12 Aki 13 Henshaw 15 TOH 23
    MacGinty 10 Ronaldson 12 Aki 13 Henshaw 15 TOH 14 Poolman 23

Zzippy wrote: »
    If Robbie is released we simply have to play him, but I'd play him at fullback and move TOH to wing in place of Niyi, keep Craig and Bundee together in the centre. Craig is kicking too well to be rested, I don't want to be relying on AJ kicking in a tight game in Murrayfield...

Yeah that's one of my possibilities but TOH is great for FB right now, and it's harsh for Poolman

If henshaw is available I would bench him. We need Craig as support to aj. Yes Robbie works on the international team. But bundee and Craig is what we need for Connacht. Tiernan has been the best fullback in the country. So why would you replace him with Robbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If henshaw is available I would bench him. We need Craig as support to aj. Yes Robbie works on the international team. But bundee and Craig is what we need for Connacht. Tiernan has been the best fullback in the country. So why would you replace him with Robbie?

Seriously? Give me a reason why Henshaw deserves to not play based on his own form and why Craig is better for our gameplan against one of the best defences in the league.

Zzippy wrote: »
    In all my life I couldn't object more. The henshaw/Kearney absolute rubbish. So you are willing to drop toh on the basis that henshaw is an international as compared to toh who has simply the best fullback in Ireland. But if you want henshaw to carry ball into contact as Kearney well go you zzippy. Your opinion undermines everything Connacht has done to date

I think AJ will start at 10. Craig just hasn't played there enough or at all even this season. Top big a game to have him put in there. And AJ had been playing well.
    Who else plays really depends on whether Pat had confidence in his kicking. If he does then Craig is on the bench. If not Craig has to start and Robbie goes to full back as it's the only other option bar dropping Aki and I can't see that happening. So then it's either bench TOH or move him to the wing.
    It's a great position to be in though whatever happens and there will be serious talent on the bench to come on as well.

I can hear that Ouncer, I'd still start Henshaw if Joe allows it though...

Aki Henshaw and Healy can't be moved, so, assuming Niyi is off concussed there is one guy to put on the bench among TOH, Poolman Ronaldson and MacGinty. Tough...

its_phil wrote: »
    Seriously? Give me a reason why Henshaw deserves to not play based on his own form and why Craig is better for our gameplan against one of the best defences in the league.

Because Craig is our goalkicker?

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I think AJ will start at 10. Craig just hasn't played there enough or at all even this season. Top big a game to have him put in there. And AJ had been playing well.
    Who else plays really depends on whether Pat had confidence in his kicking. If he does then Craig is on the bench. If not Craig has to start and Robbie goes to full back as it's the only other option bar dropping Aki and I can't see that happening. So then it's either bench TOH or move him to the wing.
    It's a great position to be in though whatever happens and there will be serious talent on the bench to come on as well.

Conor Finn is back and I'm hopeful he can make Pat's headache even more difficult to bare:)...

• Advertisement

If Ronaldson is absolutely needed for goalkicking, I'd drop TOH on the bench, who has played too much this season. Henshaw/Poolman would give the extra-physicality needed against a well-organized Edinburgh side.

Because Craig is our goalkicker?

He's a 60% kicker and not exactly so much better than AJ. I'm a big fan of Craig but this talk of dropping Henshaw for Craig's kicking is ridiculous and moronic. I asked for reason why Robbie shouldn't play on his current form if you'd care to answer.

It's no surprise to see the same bitter Henshaw posters at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

For me it's Ronaldson, Healy, Aki, Henshaw, Poolman, TOH as 10 - 15 as that gets all your best players on the pitch.
    I've gotten to like AJ a lot more over the past few games but I think Craig is a bit better.

I asked for reason why Robbie shouldn't play on his current form if you'd care to answer.

It's no surprise to see the same bitter Henshaw posters at it again.

His current form isn't that tremendous, and is a centre form. There's no real indications, even doubts about the idea he would be better than TOH as FB, where he hasn't played for months. And yes Ronaldson seems more reliable than McGinty, so the debate isn't about Henshaw leaving.

If Ronaldson is absolutely needed for goalkicking, I'd drop TOH on the bench, who has played too much this season. Henshaw/Poolman would give the extra-physicality needed against a well-organized Edinburgh side.
    You sound like Joe Schmidt

His current form isn't that tremendous, and is a centre form. There's no real indications, even doubts about the idea he would be better than TOH as FB, where he hasn't played for months.

Yeah let's drop the guy who can do that at Twickenham

You sound like Joe Schmidt

Indeed, to play Embra in Murrayfield. I fully agree for Niyi/TOH against Zebre and Ospreys, when the strategy implied using the gaps. I sound like Pat Lam now, one opponent, one different gameplan

Indeed, to play Embra in Murrayfield. I fully agree for Niyi/TOH against Zebre and Ospreys, when the strategy implied using the gaps. I sound like Pat Lam now, one opponent, one different gameplan

Why would we all of a sudden decide to start going through defences, in particular one of the tightest, when we've successfully gone around them all season and going to one of the largest pitches in Europe.

Yeah let's drop the guy who can do that at Twickenham

I saw that break. I also saw the 3 whole games he played.
    Don't misunderstand me, he's good, he should be played. But is not an obvious choice, out of position as FB , ahead of TOH, without asking any questions.

• Advertisement

Why would we all of a sudden decide to start going through defences, in particular one of the tightest, when we've successfully gone around them all season and going to one of the largest pitches in Europe.

I thought about the pitch yes. But they still conceed quite few tries home even against big teams. Their defence is used to it...

Let's just drop aki ronaldson Healy and toh. Robbie is better than them all combined. What a shocking viewpoint just brilliant. So what worked, on the basis of fantastic performances, is irrelevant. Brilliant idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

If Henshaw had any doubt that he's made the right decision in leaving, the last two pages should reassure him nicely.

If Henshaw had any doubt that he's made the right decision in leaving, the last two pages should reassure him nicely.

Robbie himself said the backline is doing very well without him. All I say, for my part, is that there shouldn't be "automatic qualification" for him with Ronaldson kicking needed and TOH very solid as FB.
    I still think Robbie should be played, but debate on this doesn't mean disrespect about his qualities.

Why, because the opinions of two posters with a reputation for hyperbole reflect the views of all Connacht fans?

If released by Schmidt, Robbie will play Friday night and will play in the centre. End of.

But ya I agree, the last 2 pages have been ridiculous.

Why, because the opinions of two posters with a reputation for hyperbole reflect the views of all Connacht fans?

Disagree

If released by Schmidt, Robbie will play Friday night and will play in the centre. End of.

Agree.
    Centre not FB. One of Ronaldson/MacGinty sacrificed, and making way for Henshaw won't be such an easy choice, not as easy as some here seem to think. Could even be costly. Hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If we all based our opinions on a body of fans based on the posts of one or two random internet posters, I would think Leinster fans are the most arrogant bunch of tossers in the world. Luckily I'm intelligent enough not to do that and use a much broader sample to base my opinions on. I'm pretty sure Robbie has a similar method, including all the fans he meets on a regular basis who wish him well.

What a ridiculous post.

Yeah let's bring the Sexton leaving Leinster thread up again and tar all the Leinster fans as scum.

Couple of fools in here alright, but have a look at the posts when he left by the majority decent posters in here or just make lazy generalisations if you wish.

and your opinion of dropping ronaldson (our penalty kicker) was smart. go robbie. he can do everything. if you don't understand the importance of individual players within the combined team, so much so that they can be replaced by robbie everywhere, then go you s12b. you obviously missed most of our season

i do find it interesting who you would wish to also discard. So we currently have discarded one of aki or ronaldson and then obviously toh. Well honestly screw you. These guys have been the backbone of our team and the absolute nerve of you to suggest that a dude who has played very limited minutes for connacht has a RIGHT to his place after where our players have put us in the pro12 is simply disgusting. It undermines our players, it undermines our team. Of course you are welcome to undermine me, but I find your opinion such a betrayal of all the hard work that our lads have done. Are we all so easily replaced. You must be a joy to have in your own workplace. We can get rid of him. Hear good news about somebody else. Absolutely disgusted the way you are willing to simply let the players who have served us all year go for a 'better' player

Focusing less on Henshaw and more about Dillane released or not is wiser IMO. Robbie is an addition in a functioning backline. Dillane would be a HUGE boost in a 2nd row with Marshall concussed, Roux just coming back and Muldowney overused.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement