Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Are there actually any up and coming Munster 2nd rows? In the senior squad there's only Foley, Ryan and Chisholm, none of whom are top class and only one who is actually any use. Been very disappointed in Foley since his comeback and Chisholm hasn't impressed much. They need a decent lock from somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if they try and get a lock from another province.

Sean MacCarthy will be in the senior squad next season. John Madigan is in the last year of the academy and is very talented but has been injured a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

Clegg wrote: »
    Are there actually any up and coming Munster 2nd rows? In the senior squad there's only Foley, Ryan and Chisholm, none of whom are top class and only one who is actually any use. Been very disappointed in Foley since his comeback and Chisholm hasn't impressed much. They need a decent lock from somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if they try and get a lock from another province.

they'll be after Dillane when his contract runs out.

John Madigan has all the physical tools, but doubts about his ability to stay healthy.
    Sean McCarthy looks to have decent potential.

Munster may be the weakest province in terms of young locks on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

He's one of 4 Connacht players Munster have been in contact with for 2017/18

They're already getting Heenan

Done deal on Heenan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

He's one of 4 Connacht players Munster have been in contact with for 2017/18

They're already getting Heenan

feck, is there no rule against "Tapping Up" players?

Is the Heenan deal done ? - I know Aly is pretty much gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jesus very depressing reading if all this is true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

its_phil wrote: »
    Done deal on Heenan?

Supposed to be

Masterson is the 4th with Aki, Dillane and McCartney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Very apt that Porter Belly should be followed by Dropping Bombs :(:(

If we lost Henshaw, Heenan, Muldowney, Aki, Dillane, and Masterson I seriously would question our purpose.

Don't think that Masterson would go, reckon he will be our captain by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Let's see if Heenan happens before worrying about players out of contact next season. A year is a long time - who would have thought Connacht would be top of the Pro12 at this stage twelve months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Done deal on Heenan?

someone explicitly asked Jake H. outside the dressing room on Saturday "so is it true you are going to Munster", the response was, and I am quoting 1st hand "Not a chance"....

don't know what, if any, bearing that has on anything....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If we lost Henshaw, Heenan, Muldowney, Aki, Dillane, and Masterson I seriously would question our purpose.

This is really the main issue. We can't become a feeder club.
    Finding and developing 5-6 international quality players an loosing them every couple of years will cripple the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I'd be shocked if Aki, Heenan and McCartney were all considering going.

They may have been approached by Munster but why would they go?
    They must be enjoying the rugby here. They all must have loyalty to Lam.
    What way are Munster going? Do they have that much more disposable money than us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Finding and developing 5-6 international quality players an loosing them every couple of years will cripple the club

There's no sign of that happening though. Henshaw left but that''s it so far in terms of moving to other provinces. Seems fairly pessimistic for us all to even be discussing this given the season that's ongoing.

What way are Munster going? Do they have that much more disposable money than us?

They're not allowed to outbid us anyway are they?

100 % agree

They've been contacted, doesn't mean they're leaving

Aki I'd worry about though

Bazzo wrote: »

Ways and means around that

Ways and means around that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Not sure on that one. Definately were able to outbid for Bunty and Tom when they were coming over but now they are within the system is it different?

And as porterbelly said, there are ways and means, 'sponsorships' is a great thing

freyners wrote: »
    Not sure on that one. Definately were able to outbid for Bunty and Tom when they were coming over but now they are within the system is it different?

And as porterbelly said, there are ways and means, 'sponsorships' is a great thing

Someone coming from outside the country is fair game but the rule is that a player already at a province can't be offered more money by another province while renewing their contract. They can match the offer but not outbid it.

ClanofLams wrote: »

There's no sign of that happening though. Henshaw left but that''s it so far in terms of moving to other provinces. Seems fairly pessimistic for us all to even be discussing this given the season that's ongoing.

Very fair point and I said the exact same purpose quote when McCarthy left, sure look at us now with a purpose of playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I really hope the Heenan rumours are just agent-generated to get a better contract, which I wouldn't blame him for. I'd be really annoyed if he did move to Munster, after all the faith that has been shown in him during two long injury layoffs. Let Munster develop their own talent or do their own scouting for project players. If they are genuinely trying to tap up our best young talent, it will be sweet sweet karma if they finish outside the top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

ClanofLams wrote: »

Ah I know... But history can be a good indicator of future events...

I believe Pat Lam sees us as champions and he is trying to build a culture but it's about how much the players buy into that.

If there's tapping up well before contact negotiation it's really bad form IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Just over a year ago someone posted some transfer rumours that they said were pretty solid, with the benefit of hindsight we can see that while some of them did come through there were a few that didn't and others where the info was wrong.

I'm not posting the link to point out what the user got wrong, after all some of it was proven true, I'm more posting it to remind people that these things are just rumours and you shouldn't get too worked out about them. Even those that are supposed to come from good sources can prove to be wide of the mark.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93565247&postcount=4294

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

had heard muldowney gone. had heard heenan homesick. the idea of aki, heenan and mccartney heading to another irish province becoming more unlikely. they didnt move to ireland for the craic. if they move then they move abroad (money). otherwise they stay in connacht. it would be good if connacht rugby simply killed all the panic talk with an announcement (one way or the other)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

There was no sign of Henshaw at training yesterday when the backs were doing their plays......intrigued to see what this means for the team! Would surely be strange for him to play if he hasn't trained once with the team all week, or for 4 or 5 weeks for that matter.

S12b wrote: »
    There was no sign of Henshaw at training yesterday when the backs were doing their plays......intrigued to see what this means for the team! Would surely be strange for him to play if he hasn't trained once with the team all week, or for 4 or 5 weeks for that matter.

I doubt he's released from Irish camp, I'd say we'll see White, Marmion, Bealham and Dillane but Robbie may be wrapped in cotton wool. Were any of those four there?

Zzippy wrote: »
    I doubt he's released from Irish camp, I'd say we'll see White, Marmion, Bealham and Dillane but Robbie may be wrapped in cotton wool. Were any of those four there?

Wasn't Robbie the one player Schmidt name checked when he was talking about players being released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

He must have been released to Leinster.

That way he'd get more time training with Sexton.
    It makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Wasn't Robbie the one player Schmidt name checked when he was talking about players being released?

Yeah, Schmidt said it earlier in the week that Henshaw would play this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Presume team is being picked today. Around lunch time I presume?

Presume team is being picked today. Around lunch time I presume?

Yes, usually announced around 12-12.30

Forwards were at far end and it was pissing rain so I didn't leave the car....think I could see White and Bealham, not sure about Dillane. Marmion was there.

We'll find out in a few minutes anyway.

The Connacht team to face Edinburgh at Murrayfield tomorrow night features four changes from the starting team that was named for the last round against Ospreys.

Ireland international Nathan White, who played in all three 6 Nations game last month, has been released to play in Friday’s PRO12 clash. The tighthead prop joins Denis Buckley and Tom McCartney in the front row.

The return of Quinn Roux provides a timely boost as the lock is named to play his first game of 2016, having recovered from the ankle injury sustained in early December.

John Muldoon, who missed his only PRO12 game of the season last weekend, has returned to captain the side wearing the Number 8 shirt.

Scrumhalf Kieran Marmion is named to start in a back line that also sees the reintroduction of Danie Poolman to the right wing.

Second row Danny Qualter is included among the replacements again having impressed in just his second PRO12 appearance at the Sportsground last weekend. Eoin McKeon and Fionn Carr are also named in the squad.

Commenting on the team announcement and the upcoming game, head coach Pat Lam said:

“It’s good to have some of our international boys back again this week, including Whitey (Nathan White) who has performed really well for Ireland. That extra experience will be important against a side like Edinburgh who we’ve always had close encounters with. There is consistency in the way Edinburgh play – they are very physical, very direct, and they are a settled team with a lot of experienced players. Murrayfield is always tough but they’ve really made it into a fortress now having only lost there once this season.

“But we’re traveling with confidence knowing that if we continue to focus on what we’ve been doing and the game plan we have in place, we can take another step closer to Champions Cup qualification.”

Connacht team to face Edinburgh, Friday March 4th, 7:35pm

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Danie Poolman
    13 Bundee Aki
    12 Craig Ronaldson
    11 Matt Healy
    10 AJ MacGinty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Nathan White
    4 Quinn Roux
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Sean O’Brien
    7 Jake Heenan
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Finlay Bealham
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 Danny Qualter
    20 Eoin McKeon
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Peter Robb
    23 Fionn Carr

Injured/Unavailable: Shane Delahunt, Andrew Browne, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson, John Cooney, Jack Carty, Dave McSharry, Rory Parata, Darragh Leader, Niyi Adeolokun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

Dillane must be starting for Ireland Next Week

• Advertisement

Very strange that Robbie wasn't released after Schmidt name checking him, at least it took a tough decision out of Pat's hands.

Hope Roux has a good game, if the rumours about Aly are true we'll need him at his best next year.

Good to see Blade got greenlight to sit on bench
    Roux back is also boost - hopefully our restarts better this week with return of Muldoon

Nothing against SOB2.0 but id still go for Connolly at 6 over him at the moment

Can't wait though - nearly 50 Connacht fans that I know of are heading over to it

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Good to see Blade got greenlight to sit on bench
    Roux back is also boost - hopefully our restarts better this week with return of Muldoon

Nothing against SOB2.0 but id still go for Connolly at 6 over him at the moment

Can't wait though - nearly 50 Connacht fans that I know of are heading over to it

Connolly's a 7 though, SOB offers more of a carrying threat and we already have the best 7 in the squad on the field.

Nice to see Danny Quarter getting his reward after a good 40 minutes last week!

Front row looks very strong, what is the Edinburgh scrum like? We should surely be targeting it!

Connolly's a 7 though, SOB offers more of a carrying threat and we already have the best 7 in the squad on the field.

Connolly is a 6
    Or atleast was underage

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Connolly is a 6
    Or atleast was underage

I stand corrected then, but his best performances for the senior squad have been at 7 (Munster away in particular).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

Size & build wise Connolly is a professional 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

sfbdqc wrote: »
    Size & build wise Connolly is a professional 7

What is the size and build of a professional 7?
    Take Jake Heenan and Steffon Armitage, both are professional 7 but have very different builds.
    Hooper and Pocock in Australia are both professional 7s but have different sizes and builds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Edinburgh team

15 Kinghorn
    14 Hoyland
    13 Dean
    12 Scott
    11 Brown
    10 Burleigh
    9 Hidalgo Clyne
    1 Sutherland
    2 Cochrane
    3 Andress
    4 Bresler
    5 Ben Toolis
    6 Ritchie
    7 Watson
    8 du Preez

16 Turner
    17 Dell
    18 Berghan
    19 Alex Toolis
    20 Bradbury
    21 Kennedy
    22 Beard
    23 Fife

Edinburgh are a team that generally like to keep it fairly tight so the best way to beat them is probably to go around them rather than through them. I don't think their wings see too much ball in attack. Murrayfield might actually suit our game more than theirs.

John Andress in the front row could be a weak link perhaps? I reckon they've maybe only one first choice forward available (Toolis), the likes of Dickenson, Nel, Ford, Gilchrist, Manu and Hardie are all either injured or with Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Bealham switches back to LH ahead of Loughney is interesting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

connachta wrote: »
    Bealham switches back to LH ahead of Loughney is interesting..

Wouldn't be surprised to see him come on at TH for White then switching to LH when/if Buckley goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

S12b wrote: »
    Interestingly a poster on the last page was suggesting that the size of the Murrayfield pitch might actually suit us......in training yesterday the backs ran the same play over and over while I was there, which is unusual as it's typically 2 or 3 reps of each play and move on....purple monkey dishwasher.

I think that might actually be a to scale picture of Murrayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Seriously. S12b. If I saw something like that posted on an Edinburgh forum, I'd definitely email a link to someone in Connacht. D'ya think maybe you should delete it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Evil_g wrote: »
    Seriously. S12b. If I saw something like that posted on an Edinburgh forum, I'd definitely email a link to someone in Connacht. D'ya think maybe you should delete it?
    Suggested edit:

Interestingly a poster on the last page was suggesting that the size of the Troy Nathan might actually suit us......in training yesterday Troy Nathan ran the same play over and over while I was there, which is unusual as it's typically 2 or 3 reps of each play and move on....Troy Nathan or Troy Nathan on Troy Nathan, getting it through the Troy Nathan in Troy Nathan and Troy Nathan as quickly as possible, with Troy Nathan or Troy Nathan strutting through the dancefloor of Karma and chasing the PA guy for calling him 'Nathan Troy'.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement