Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did he go off injured?

Or was he just subbed off for playing bad?
    Rod was on for 27 minutes from half time and was taken off for being awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Just back home from the game, was a great one to be at. Murrayfield was freezing and impossible to build much of an atmosphere in for a Pro 12 game as usual, but the 70 or 80 Connacht supporters there were all in the same area so we managed to make the best of it.

Edinburgh supporters were very quiet, don't seem to have much faith in Solomons and their great hope Hidalgo Clyne has gone way off the boil. For Connacht it was a shame to see Ah You look so disinterested - I don't think he has much business sticking around with that attitude, it's no coincidence that the period he was on the field was Connacht's worst of the game. Once the 6 Nations is over you could ship him off to Ulster early and not lose anything. They'll have their work cut out with him.

However the fight in the team towards the end when Edinburgh came back was great to see, it's another game won this year that would have been lost in the past. Top 6 now secured for sure and two more wins may well be enough for the playoffs - that's very achievable.

I hope Ronaldson's injury wasn't as bad as it looked, his kicking has made a huge difference recently and did again tonight.

We in connacht are puzzling over new grounds. One thing about tonight is bigger is definitely not better. The Edinburgh ground (murrayfield) looked deserted. Sportsground is fine. Loads of crack, able to be up and close with the players and the fans. Bigger is not always better (now this is related to a rugby ground and no personal slander appreciated)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We in connacht are puzzling over new grounds. One thing about tonight is bigger is definitely not better. The Edinburgh ground (murrayfield) looked deserted. Sportsground is fine. Loads of crack, able to be up and close with the players and the fans. Bigger is not always better (now this is related to a rugby ground and no personal slander appreciated)
    Ouncer confirmed as Donald Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm back in the hostel as pub is Wedged and couldn't get to jacks andwas bursting
    Think ill call it a night actually as wrecked
    Thought second Edinburgh try was forward pass and 3rd Edinburgh try was ify but will have to watch it again
    This season keeps getting more and more mental
    Edinburgh fans very gracious in defeat
    The size of Murrayfield made it impossible to create proper atmosphere - Edinburgh be better off with a 7000 stadium for themselves..
    Good night folkks

Poor auld Healy - The Shadow. It's mad that Buckley is not no. 17 for Ireland. Good for Connacht but!
    buckley was always 1 for ireland. i can forgive ignoring healy and toh (they just run mental lines every week and it is not the idea of an international coach). buckley has always been the best player in his position. simple as that. cant forgive joe on that one. that said happy all our players are available so we can win the pro12

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'm back in the hostel as pub is Wedged and couldn't get to jacks andwas bursting
    Think ill call it a night actually as wrecked
    Thought second Edinburgh try was forward pass and 3rd Edinburgh try was ify but will have to watch it again
    This season keeps getting more and more mental
    Edinburgh fans very gracious in defeat
    The size of Murrayfield made it impossible to create proper atmosphere - Edinburgh be better off with a 7000 stadium for themselves..
    Good night folkks

proving my point that bigger is not always better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Murrayfield will always the problem of lack of atmosphere with 50,000 empty seats but would hardly agree the Sportsground is fine. Sure its compact with a better buzz about and it location close to City centre is a real plus too. But for spectators there are some many bad vantage points in the ground it really takes away from the enjoyment of a game if you get stuck watching the game from a bad spot. For some of the bigger games when space is at a premium, like in the terrace area of main stand its rubbish unless if ya cant get a decent spot to watch the game. Also when its raining (as it often does in the SG) and your stuck out in the open and you'd give anything to be under cover.

The Clan Terrace which went up recently enough was a very welcome addition especially as the ground had such limited covered areas. However it would great to see an extension of the Clan Terrace and provide greater capacity as well presumably a good view of the pitch. Connacht would benefit financially with bigger capacity, a larger stand would be great. It would help boost Connacht's revenues and help them financially and become a bigger force among the Provinces. But as Connacht are only tenants at the SG its questionable how much money would ever be poured extending the capacity at the SG.

maroondog wrote: »
    Murrayfield will always the problem of lack of atmosphere with 50,000 empty seats but would hardly agree the Sportsground is fine. Sure its compact with a better buzz about and it location close to City centre is a real plus too. But for spectators there are some many bad vantage points in the ground it really takes away from the enjoyment of a game if you get stuck watching the game from a bad spot. For some of the bigger games when space is at a premium, like in the terrace area of main stand its rubbish unless if ya cant get a decent spot to watch the game. Also when its raining (as it often does in the SG) and your stuck out in the open and you'd give anything to be under cover.

The Clan Terrace which went up recently enough was a very welcome addition especially as the ground had such limited covered areas. However it would great to see an extension of the Clan Terrace and provide greater capacity as well presumably a good view of the pitch. Connacht would benefit financially with bigger capacity, a larger stand would be great. It would help boost Connacht's revenues and help them financially and become a bigger force among the Provinces. But as Connacht are only tenants at the SG its questionable how much money would ever be poured extending the capacity at the SG.
    All indicators suggest footfall is not increasing on a tangential level and this is in connacht (the successful province at the moment) . In Munster its dropping and leinster its just below previous years. Folks are ok where they stand. Looking at Leinster and Munster rugby I would take it slowly. The future of the game is being played out. The concussion argument, the non-tackle concept. At the moment lets just be happy where we are.

All indicators suggest footfall is not increasing on a tangential level and this is in connacht (the successful province at the moment) . In Munster its dropping and leinster its just below previous years. Folks are ok where they stand. Looking at Leinster and Munster rugby I would take it slowly. The future of the game is being played out. The concussion argument, the non-tackle concept. At the moment lets just be happy where we are.

The average attendance is about 5500 (based on last season av) and there are limits on what it can grow to id agree. Conn are hardly going to look to take on a project ala the new Thomond and put themselves under financial pressure. But you'd have to agree that the capacity at the SG is very limited and quality of viewing you have from much of the terraces can be quite poor. This is true especially for bigger matches ie Inter Pro, when 8/9K are in the ground there are so many bad vantage points and it would be good to see any increase in better quality terracing to view the match. I dont except what you say "Folks are ok where they stand", their not. A modest investment on Clan Terrace for example may well be viable and help Conn boost capacity & also help bridge the gap slightly as regards gates receipts vs other Provinces. The Branch have done a study into moving/expanded grounds and what their future needs are.

There is merit in looking to grow Connacht further and not have the "lets just be happy where we are" viewpoint. If they are looking to push on and hold on to players etc such progression will be needed??

The average attendance is about 5500 (based on last season av) and there are limits on what it can grow to id agree. Conn are hardly going to look to take on a project ala the new Thomond and put themselves under financial pressure. But you'd have to agree that the capacity at the SG is very limited and quality of viewing you have from much of the terraces can be quite poor. This is true especially for bigger matches ie Inter Pro, when 8/9K are in the ground there are so many bad vantage points and it would be good to see any increase in better quality terracing to view the match. I dont except what you say "Folks are ok where they stand", their not. A modest investment on Clan Terrace for example may well be viable and help Conn boost capacity & also help bridge the gap slightly as regards gates receipts vs other Provinces. The Branch have done a study into moving/expanded grounds and what their future needs are.

There is merit in looking to grow Connacht further and not have the "lets just be happy where we are" viewpoint. If they are looking to push on and hold on to players etc such progression will be needed??

Its not an argument I agree with. So I sat behind the posts in the RDS and had no view for most of the leinster-connacht game. The fact is that sitting/standing behind either goals you see nothing.

Do I see the value of a two tier stand in the clan. Honestly I dont. And as ever I am the only person. So let me explain why. Dependent on which side of the clan you stand in you get a 'view'. In truth its a krap view. You can't see the far side of the field on the end you have decided to stand nor can you properly see movements that can be seen on the other side of the clan.

Ok I'm killing my argument. We need a bloody stand (and a decent one so we can see the game) on the clan side. Fed up squirming wondering if somebody has crossed the line. In truth can see little to nothing from the clan. Have done a right 180 on that one but thats me

• Advertisement

If we win the RWC bid will there be development to the Sportsground ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

If we win the RWC bid will there be development to the Sportsground ?

AFAIK the games are being held in pearse so doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

Surely it is now time to expect success, on the basis of firm evidence.

Consider this evening. Connacht came away from Murrayfield with 5 points. Before today, only Munster had won here, despite Leinster, Ulster, Ospreys, Scarlets and Glasgow (twice) all having a go.

Leinster played at some other ground at start of season during rwc so were also missing 21 first choice players and lost by 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭OldRio

Robbo wrote: »
    Rod was on for 27 minutes from half time and was taken off for being awful.

Classic. So much said in one sentence. I doff my cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

buckley was always 1 for ireland. i can forgive ignoring healy and toh (they just run mental lines every week and it is not the idea of an international coach). buckley has always been the best player in his position. simple as that. cant forgive joe on that one. that said happy all our players are available so we can win the pro12

I was on about cian Healy. A shadow of what he was. It's mad that Buckley hasn't been 1st reserve for McGrath. Particulary considering the shift McGrath has had to put in.
    As for Matt Healy, well he is certainly more potent in attack than Trimble. I assume defense is where Joe has issue.
    Same again for TOH v RK
    Maybe RK should be sent to Dave Ellis to rediscover how to pass, pick a line, avoid contact, get hands through tackle, offload, and...run (sniper v Eng).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

We are Connacht Rugby. We are top of the league. We BELIEVE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We don't just believe anymore. We have fronted up, risen up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

connachta wrote: »
    I hardly can be considered as both deeply pessimistic and too much carried away on the same topic...;)
    Ehhh yes you can. They're basically two sides of the same coin.

Ehhh yes you can. They're basically two sides of the same coin.

Being a Leinster fan and bad faith on the forums are two sides of the same coin too?:rolleyes:

Its not an argument I agree with. So I sat behind the posts in the RDS and had no view for most of the leinster-connacht game. The fact is that sitting/standing behind either goals you see nothing.

Do I see the value of a two tier stand in the clan. Honestly I dont. And as ever I am the only person. So let me explain why. Dependent on which side of the clan you stand in you get a 'view'. In truth its a krap view. You can't see the far side of the field on the end you have decided to stand nor can you properly see movements that can be seen on the other side of the clan.

Ok I'm killing my argument. We need a bloody stand (and a decent one so we can see the game) on the clan side. Fed up squirming wondering if somebody has crossed the line. In truth can see little to nothing from the clan. Have done a right 180 on that one but thats me

So we agree so, main thing needed on Clan side is more elevation. If the terrace was extended and got a bit more height you'd have a great view. Very hard to see the match standing at or near ground level from many areas of the ground.

Anyway great to be continuing the good run of form, Munster fans must be loving Conn of late beating their rivals in the table, Ospreys last week and now Edinburgh who sit 5th. Be great to see all 4 Irish sides make CC next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Good win last night, but from listening to Rob on GBFM we need to relax.

If our defence is as bad what's the point of making playoffs with teams like Leinster and Glasgow. We might not get a chance like this again and defence is half the game as brilliant as having the best attack in the league. Defence wins championships which is where we need to refocus on.

It's all great but just relax a bit and can we leave the inspirational quotes to the Instagram account of gym heads.

Okay let's get to the negatives:
    Rodney: I've defended him alot on these forums and was hurt when he left for Ulster.. But he was a farce last night in his brief cameo- lucky not to be penalised for the two rucks he did bother engage in when he came in from the side on both occasions. Sauntered around the pitch with zero intensity. Unless there is another injury crisis I don't want to see him in Jersey again
    Healy: easily his worst game of the season - gave this forum plenty of ammunition with his defensive display which isn't normally as poor as he showed last night..
    Poolman: had very good game but should have dived for his disallowed try - normally a better finisher than that
    Ronaldson: hopefully not badly injured
    Our Box Office Appeal: When we are 21-8 up Connacht Fans should NOT have to suffer a nervy finish to the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I was on about cian Healy. A shadow of what he was. It's mad that Buckley hasn't been 1st reserve for McGrath. Particulary considering the shift McGrath has had to put in.
    As for Matt Healy, well he is certainly more potent in attack than Trimble. I assume defense is where Joe has issue.
    Same again for TOH v RK
    Maybe RK should be sent to Dave Ellis to rediscover how to pass, pick a line, avoid contact, get hands through tackle, offload, and...run (sniper v Eng).

Buckley wasn't initially behind Healy though, he was considered behind Cronin. There must be something the Irish setup don't see in him at the moment. That wouldn't be just Joe though. Can't say I agree with it, especially since they clearly had no faith in Cronin what so ever.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Buckley wasn't initially behind Healy though, he was considered behind Cronin. There must be something the Irish setup don't see in him at the moment. That wouldn't be just Joe though. Can't say I agree with it, especially since they clearly had no faith in Cronin what so ever.

Buckley needs to keep doing was he's doing. With Connacht's excellent run all season and the scrum vital to all that, Buckleys performances surely wont go unnoticed for long more. Now with Italy & Scotland coming up there may be a chance Joe S will give him a call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Buckley needs to keep doing was he's doing. With Connacht's excellent run all season and the scrum vital to all that, Buckleys performances surely wont go unnoticed for long more. Now with Italy & Scotland coming up there may be a chance Joe S will give him a call up.

Hope he is ignored for the Ita and Scot games now. Keep him fresh and mean for the Leinster, Ulster and Munster games. Chip on shoulder and all that.
    All concerned would benefit more from him touring SA.
    As you say leave him keep doing what he's doing. Even if he got effed out of it by Muldowney for a KOn last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hope he is ignored for the Ita and Scot games now. Keep him fresh and mean for the Leinster, Ulster and Munster games. Chip on shoulder and all that.
    All concerned would benefit more from him touring SA.
    As you say leave him keep doing what he's doing. Even if he got effed out of it by Muldowney for a KOn last night!

I doubt we'll see any new call ups to the squad for the 6 nations and almost certainly not getting game time. I've said in the past that I rate him ahead of Kilcoyne or Cronin but that bias may be playing a part in that but at this stage I'm 90% sure it's not bias and that he really is a better player.

Dunno what the Irish coaching ticket could point to as lacking in his game really. He's got a phenomenal workrate, frequently goes the full 80, isn't injury prone and I can't think of any weakness in his game. Does the basics of prop very well and has a broader and better skillset than a lot of forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Bazzo wrote: »
    I doubt we'll see any new call ups to the squad for the 6 nations and almost certainly not getting game time. I've said in the past that I rate him ahead of Kilcoyne or Cronin but that bias may be playing a part in that but at this stage I'm 90% sure it's not bias and that he really is a better player.

Dunno what the Irish coaching ticket could point to as lacking in his game really. He's got a phenomenal workrate, frequently goes the full 80, isn't injury prone and I can't think of any weakness in his game. Does the basics of prop very well and has a broader and better skillset than a lot of forwards.

Buckley is a prop who plays in the loose like a backrow can pass like a Scrum half and thinks he's a centre.

Maybe a little weakness for tackling sometimes?

S-A tour must be used to prepare RWC 2019, not the end of 6 nation tournament
    I do think Buckley, TOH, Heenan and maybe McKeon if he does very well until June, may and should travel in addition to Dillane and Marmion
    McCartney and Aki to follow next season

• Advertisement

Thought was July that Heenan turns IQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Fantastic article on Ultan Dillane

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gerry-thornley-ultan-dillane-s-breaking-on-through-1.2560470?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I wonder is the Caleb Blade scrum half they talk about anything to Caolin Blade :pac:

You're right for Heenan... No friendly for emerging Ireland in July?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭calico77

Buckley is a prop who plays in the loose like a backrow can pass like a Scrum half and thinks he's a centre.

he found that zebre player with a beautiful pass last week when he thought he was a centre :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Where do you but tickets for the main stand?

Where do you but tickets for the main stand?

Main Stand sold out
    Tickets available for Clan Terrace but has be Hospitality, so minimum looking at €66..

Enclosed section or behind goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

b.gud wrote: »
    Fantastic article on Ultan Dillane

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gerry-thornley-ultan-dillane-s-breaking-on-through-1.2560470?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I wonder is the Caleb Blade scrum half they talk about anything to Caolin Blade :pac:

Gerry Thornley showing his 'expert' knowledge of Irish rugby outside of Leinster and the Irish squad there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gerry Thornley showing his 'expert' knowledge of Irish rugby outside of Leinster and the Irish squad there.

He's a Munster fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

For the first time in my 8 years here (apart from at an away game), I saw someone (else) in Belfast wearing Connacht branded gear today. We must be on the up and up! ;)

Treadhead wrote: »
    For the first time in my 8 years here (apart from at an away game), I saw someone (else) in Belfast wearing Connacht branded gear today. We must be on the up and up! ;)

If it was the Green Lantern jersey was half tempted myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Have to say Connacht did a fine job with Mick Kearney. Looks very solid and a fine addition to Leinster's second row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Being a Leinster fan and bad faith on the forums are two sides of the same coin too?:rolleyes:
    Do you even know what that means?

I certainly have no idea what you're on about. Maybe you should try insults.

I've never insulted anyone here and I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Do you even know what that means?

I certainly have no idea what you're on about. Maybe you should try insults.

Some people aren't as eloquent as others. If you don't know what someone means maybe ask them politely rather than using sarcasm. FWIW I didn't get it either, maybe Connachta can explain what he meant.

I'm sorry about that I take it back

Now Ospreys need 20 out of 25 possible at least to imagine being in front of us. We're nearly through Champions Cup, clearly

Now Ospreys need 20 out of 25 possible at least to imagine being in front of us. We're nearly through Champions Cup, clearly

That's assuming we get zero points out of 25! Which we won't, I think we'll get at least 12-15...

But 1 or 2 if not none might be enough, that's what I meant.
    12 is top 4
    15 should be top 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Connacht should now be realistically aiming for a home semi -final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Main Stand sold out
    Tickets available for Clan Terrace but has be Hospitality, so minimum looking at €66..

Enclosed section or behind goals

Ah cheers, is the view from the enclosed section any better than behind the goals?

Ah cheers, is the view from the enclosed section any better than behind the goals?

Much better plus you pretty much have a private bar, but you're behind the glass so no atmosphere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement