Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Ah cheers, is the view from the enclosed section any better than behind the goals?
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Much better plus you pretty much have a private bar, but you're behind the glass so no atmosphere.

I'd say for a big game like Leinster with the place rocking, you'd be mad to go into the enclosed section.....I've talked to a few who got free tickets for there before and they all said never again....just too quiet and dead in there.

I've been behind the goals a few times, it's not actually bad at all.....view is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

S12b wrote: »
    I'd say for a big game like Leinster with the place rocking, you'd be mad to go into the enclosed section.....I've talked to a few who got free tickets for there before and they all said never again....just too quiet and dead in there.

I've been behind the goals a few times, it's not actually bad at all.....view is grand.

I've booked for College road terrace two days ago:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Connacht should now be realistically aiming for a home semi -final.

Conn's next 3 Pro12 games are interpro's so that'll start showing us where everyone is.

Leinster have 3 interpro's still to play too and Ulster and Munster have 2 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Connacht should now be realistically aiming for a home semi -final.

Absolutely. Being pessimistic one home win one away win to treviso and a couple of bonus points will leave connacht on around 70 points. That will be enough for a home semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Absolutely. Being pessimistic one home win one away win to treviso and a couple of bonus points will leave connacht on around 70 points. That will be enough for a home semi.

Also Conn have next weekend off which will be very welcome break at this stage of season before the visit of Leinster, they will be out next weekend. At this stage of season could the difference for Conn to win it. Obviously Leinster will be favorites with their quality squad but got to be positive and thinking we can get a win.

Any word on Ronaldsons injury? Really hope its nothing too serious, his kicking has been crucial to our good run of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

maroondog wrote: »
    Also Conn have next weekend off which will be very welcome break at this stage of season before the visit of Leinster, they will be out next weekend. At this stage of season could the difference for Conn to win it. Obviously Leinster will be favorites with their quality squad but got to be positive and thinking we can get a win.

Any word on Ronaldsons injury? Really hope its nothing too serious, his kicking has been crucial to our good run of form.

Leinster might be favourites but I'd be very unsurprised for Connacht to be favourites at home. Leinster will still be missing internationals that week don't forget.

Does anyone know how the player welfare scheme operates in the final few weeks of the season i.e will Robbie be available to us for every game??

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how the player welfare scheme operates in the final few weeks of the season i.e will Robbie be available to us for every game??

As far as I remember it's just the week after 6N ends players miss so he won't be available for leinster on easter sat (nor will leinster''s internationals) but will be free to play from there on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

We are staring down the barrel of top 2!
    It might be time to book tickets for the Glasgow game as well.
    If we win that we could well have them at home for the semi too!
    Every game is a final from here on out.

Pos Team Current R17 R18 R19 R20 R21 R22 R9 R12 Total
    Edin (a) Leinster (h) Ulster (a) Munster (h) Treviso (a) Glasgow (h)
    1 Connacht 54 5 1 1 4 5 1 71
    Ospreys (h) Connacht (a) Munster (h) Edin (h) Ulster (a) Treviso (h) Glasgow (a)
    2 Leinster 53 4 4 4 4 1 5 4 79
    Treviso (h) Ospreys (a) Blues (h) Glasgow (h) Dragons (a) Munster (a)
    3 Scarlets 49 4 1 4 1 4 1 64
    Zebre (h) Glasgow (a) Connacht (h) Zebre (a) Leinster (h) Ospreys (a)
    4 Ulster 46 5 1 4 4 4 1 65
    Connacht (h) Dragons (a) Zebre(h) Leinster (a) Munster (a) Blues (h)
    5 Edinburgh 42 1 1 5 0 1 4 54
    Leinster (a) Scarlets (h) Dragons (a) Treviso (h) Blues (a) Ulster (h)
    6 Ospreys 38 1 4 5 5 4 4 61
    Dragons (h) Zebre (h) Leinster (a) Connacht (a) Edin (h) Scarlets (h) Blues (a)
    7 Munster 42 5 5 1 1 4 4 4 66
    Blues (h) Ulster (h) Treviso (a) Scarlets (a) Zebre (h) Connacht (a) Leinster(h) Zebre(a)
    8 Glasgow 39 4 4 5 4 5 4 1 5 71

As far as I remember it's just the week after 6N ends players miss so he won't be available for leinster on easter sat (nor will leinster''s internationals) but will be free to play from there on.

With Ronaldson likely to miss the Leinster game (I know he said wasn't as serious as first feared but I still expect him to be out for a few weeks) and Carty already out.....I'd be hoping there might be some flexibility there and we might have him.

With Ronaldson likely to miss the Leinster game (I know he said wasn't as serious as first feared but I still expect him to be out for a few weeks) and Carty already out.....I'd be hoping there might be some flexibility there and we might have him.

Doubt there will be, can't remember an exception being made before. Also it probably kinda suits Henshaw to miss it. Robb/Parata (if back fit) will have to step up.

I'm pretty sure the week after the 6 nations is a mandatory rest and besides that I think that there's a cap in place saying they can't play more than x number of games in a season. He was out injured for quite a while so it's unlikely he's close to that

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the week after the 6 nations is a mandatory rest and besides that I think that there's a cap in place saying they can't play more than x number of games in a season. He was out injured for quite a while so it's unlikely he's close to that

I think that works like you said indeed.

• Advertisement

Doubt there will be, can't remember an exception being made before. Also it probably kinda suits Henshaw to miss it. Robb/Parata (if back fit) will have to step up.

Parata was due to miss 2 weeks before Zebre, he should be ok.
    I want Henshaw with Robb though, not only for the 200kg in midfield but just to say it is the "Robshaw' pairing!:P:pac: Right, I'm out ---->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

When's the last time Connacht won in Ravenhill? If that game were played next week I'd fancy Connacht to win.

Which pretty much goes against everything I said last week but that result in Edinburgh was hugely impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

shuffol wrote: »
    When's the last time Connacht won in Ravenhill? If that game were played next week I'd fancy Connacht to win.

Which pretty much goes against everything I said last week but that result in Edinburgh was hugely impressive.

1960 IIRC! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Is that story in the Indo about Aly Muldowney going to Grenoble old news?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is that story in the Indo about Aly Muldowney going to Grenoble old news?

Yeah it was brought up here a good while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

Another article on the Aly rumours......http://www.balls.ie/rugby/aly-muldowney-grenoble/326639

Now the Champions CuP is highly likely in the pocket, no more excuses for contract announcement. 3 weeks break = 3 announcements!!
    Aly, Heenan and Cooney are the main ones, we have to sign them or a valuable replacement now...

I have the intiution Api, as IQ, will be renewed and do ok next season.
    So we need those 3 above, a TH for AhYou and a 10 if IRFU doesn't want NIQ McGinty to be re-signed

Heffernan has got a 2 year deal. New prop signed.

We're pleased to announce the contract extension of hooker Dave Heffernan and the signing of new tighthead prop Conor Carey.

24-year-old Carey from Belfast is currently playing with English Championship side Nottingham Rugby where he has been for the past two seasons having spent a year at Ealing Trailfinders. The former Methodist College Belfast student spent three years in the Ulster Rugby system and represented Ulster and Ireland at under-18, 19 and 20’s level.

EDIT: Length of Heffernan's new contract is never actually mentioned but I presume it's the standard 2 years.

I posted this one month and five days ago on the Clan forum
    Conor Carey is the one to enlist. Nottingham TH, highly rated 24 y o, probably on low money...

Woohooo I was right, in Carey we trust :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fair play Connachta, have to admit I know nothing about him

Conor Carey said:

“Having spoken to Pat (Lam) and the management team at Connacht Rugby, I’m really excited about moving back to Ireland and playing with a team that have had been really impressive in what they have done over the past few seasons on and off the pitch. Connacht have some quality props in their squad, including an Irish international tighthead in Nathan White, so I’m really looking forward to working with them as well as the coaches.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time at Nottingham and would like to thank all the coaches I’ve worked with, particularly Martin Haag and Neil Fowkes who I’ve learnt a great deal from. I’m looking forward to finishing out the season strongly with the team.”

Pat Lam, head coach, added:

“We identified Conor Carey as a young and talented tighthead prop who could thrive here at the Sportsground. He has a gained lot of experience in the Championship which is a tough competition for forwards but he’s coming back to Ireland and we’re looking forward to him adding more competition to our front row options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The replacement for Ah You I suppose?

Lods of those videos. Don't forget he was only 21 at the time, and was playing for relegated Ealing

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

He looks like a good signing.

I found a website where it was written that he hasn't missed a match in the English Championship since he moved to Nottingham. I am not sure how up to date they are but for certain he didn't miss a match last year. That sounds pretty impressive.

Sounds like a decent signing. Considering White, Balham, O'Donnell are there its not an area of concern but nice to add depth. Said online he can play both sides as well which is always a help.

• Advertisement

He'll be 25 when the season starts. New Bealham prospect, same age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

I guess Saba isn't ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I informed my father of the Carey signing via text, ending a brief description of the player with: "originally from Belfast so IQ"

his response:

"Originally from Belfast so IQ lower than average?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Carey played in my neck of the woods. Good guy and good player. Happy for him. Hard to say how well he'll take to scrummaging at Pro 12 level but fingers crossed he's a long term answer

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

From the 42:

Interestingly for Connacht fans, CEO Willie Ruane has promised that there will be confirmation of further new signings in the coming weeks.
    “Recruitment and retention is ongoing and as our squad continues to evolve, we intend to have more announcements in the coming weeks,” said Ruane.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

I was never massively impressed when I saw Conor Carey play Irish u20's, but there is no doubt a few seasons and regular game time in the Championship will have brought him on. He's also at an age where there is still plenty of scope for improvement. And if there is one province who have a brilliant track record of improving players in recent seasons it's Connacht. I'll be watching next season with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I informed my father of the Carey signing via text, ending a brief description of the player with: "originally from Belfast so IQ"

his response:

"Originally from Belfast so IQ lower than average?"
    Your dad shouldn't be so hard on himself...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

cblaix wrote: »
    From the 42:

Interestingly for Connacht fans, CEO Willie Ruane has promised that there will be confirmation of further new signings in the coming weeks.
    “Recruitment and retention is ongoing and as our squad continues to evolve, we intend to have more announcements in the coming weeks,” said Ruane.

Any lads in the know (porterbelly) give us any hints on this?!

We need a few more recruits besides Griffin and Carey if we really want to compete continuously. Especially since we've lost Henshaw along with the possibility of McSharry, Muldowney and Heenan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

d-gal wrote: »
    Any lads in the know (porterbelly) give us any hints on this?!

We need a few more recruits besides Griffin and Carey if we really want to compete continuously. Especially since we've lost Henshaw along with the possibility of McSharry, Muldowney and Heenan

think McSharry got the all clear for next year
    https://twitter.com/DaveMcSharry/status/702799526197854208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

wp_rathead wrote: »
    think McSharry got the all clear for next year
    https://twitter.com/DaveMcSharry/status/702799526197854208

Hopefully but I wouldn't be too confident. Something as simple as a pre season bang could retire. A tough situation to be in. Glad to see Connacht sticking by him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

d-gal wrote: »
    Hopefully but I wouldn't be too confident. Something as simple as a pre season bang could retire. A tough situation to be in. Glad to see Connacht sticking by him

He's still only 26 and with player welfare in respect of concussion being closely followed nowadays you would expect him to be good to go next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Heenan u-turn

Staying put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Heenan u-turn

Staying put

Wow, that is huge. Delighted for ye if so.

Heenan u-turn

Staying put

Yeeeeeeeeeeah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Heenan u-turn

Staying put

Damn! I wanted to see him in a back-row alongside Coetzee and Henderson for Ulster next year..........:D

(only messin')

• Advertisement

So hoping Jake has signed on, that leaves the following players with contracts up:

Hooker: JHW
    Prop: JP Cooney
    Lock: Muldowney (assume he's gone), Browne, Marshall
    No.8: George
    Scrum-half: Cooney, Porter
    Out-half/centre: AJ, Ronaldson, O'Leary, Api, Finn
    Wing: Carr

So the players I think we must keep - JHW, Browne, Marshall, George, John Cooney, McGinty and Ronaldson

Players I'd like us to keep - JP Cooney, Porter (very solid for 4th choice) and Carr.

I've seen nothing of Api and Finn so can't comment. O'Leary looks ok but with the emergence of Robb and Parata and the return of Eoin Griffin, add in Ciaran Gaffney and Ed O'Keefe (who looks a real prospect) and he's under pressure.....his versatility might see him kept on.

George is an interesting one. A year I wanted to let him go, felt for the wages he would be on he wasn't delivering but I think he's really shown his worth this season with his versatility.....during the depth's of our lock crisis he stepped and I thought he was excellent for us.

Quick side note, huge credit has to go to all involved in the Academy.

This year alone it has provided 5 really quality players with big potential to the senior squad - Shane Delahunt, James Connolly, Sean O'Brien, Rory Parata and Peter Robb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

So the players I think we must keep - JHW, Browne, Marshall, George, John Cooney, McGinty and Ronaldson

Players I'd like us to keep - JP Cooney, Porter (very solid for 4th choice) and Carr

I think everyone above, bar Ronaldson and AJ, have to make sense financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Ronaldson and AJ and Muldowney would be nice.

There must be a bit of money around with Henshaw and Rodney moving on along with ECC next year.

Looking forward to a few more retentions, (maybe extensions for lads who's contracts are up next year??) and maybe one big incoming signing.

Every player must want to be part of the ECC after working so hard to get there.

So hoping Jake has signed on, that leaves the following players with contracts up:

Hooker: JHW
    Prop: JP Cooney
    Lock: Muldowney (assume he's gone), Browne, Marshall
    No.8: George
    Scrum-half: Cooney, Porter
    Out-half/centre: AJ, Ronaldson, O'Leary, Api, Finn
    Wing: Carr

Players I'd like us to keep - JP Cooney, Porter (very solid for 4th choice) and Carr.

I've seen nothing of Api and Finn so can't comment. O'Leary looks ok but with the emergence of Robb and Parata and the return of Eoin Griffin, add in Ciaran Gaffney and Ed O'Keefe (who looks a real prospect) and he's under pressure.....his versatility might see him kept on.

George is an interesting one. A year I wanted to let him go, felt for the wages he would be on he wasn't delivering but I think he's really shown his worth this season with his versatility.....during the depth's of our lock crisis he stepped and I thought he was excellent for us.

Agree with most of what you say. Think we'll lose one scrum half though would like to keep both also. Hopefully we can keep Cooney anyway.

George has been excellent the last few weeks, really stepped up to the plate. Obviously dependent on the financial aspect but would be delighted to see him stock around.

I'm not sure about Carr really. He might be as well off to look for a move that would give him regular gametime in the last few years of his career and Connacht have a lot of depth in the back three as well as some excellent prospects like Ciaran Gaffney.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement