Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I look at Connacht right now and it's just pleasing on so many fronts. Most notably I see 4 or 5 Kiwis on their coaching staff, I see a Georgian prop in their academy, I see excellent scouting of project players (Muldowney, Heenan, Aki), they really have a sound strategy coming from the top. Then you look at the contribution they are now making to Irish player development in the likes of Dillane, Henshaw, Marmion, etc. Across so many dimensions, considering their limited resources, stadium and fan base, is there a pound-for-pound better team than them in Europe right now?

I just hope the IRFU both (a) continue to back them and (b) stand back and leave well alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Across so many dimensions, considering their limited resources, stadium and fan base, is there a pound-for-pound better team than them in Europe right now?

Exeter Chiefs are possibly the best run rugby club in Europe. Connacht are pushing them hard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

errlloyd wrote: »
    Exeter Chiefs are possibly the best run rugby club in Europe. Connacht are pushing them hard though.

Exeter are a good shout, agreed. #toottoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I fecking love Exeter Chiefs - soundest fans you could meet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

errlloyd wrote: »

I'd struggle to put us up their with Exeter because their model is so good. That is a sensational story and they're operating in the black as well.

IRFU deserve massive credit for Connacht's turnaround with our budget increase. Really grinds my gears reading idiotic comments on Facebook articles from people assuming the IRFU still do SFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Agree with most of what have been said in the last page, including Exeter, I've considered them as a model for Connacht for 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

It's great to see both ourselves and Exeter build incrementally throughout the last few years because of good foundations, solid behind the scenes, tremendous work being done in the academies, quality coaching and smart recruitment.

No sugar daddies. Just good honest hard work.

They're a bit ahead of our curve at the moment but we're making good ground

So for next year, with my own picking order, we should have
    In red "still uncertain", which will be sorted out within next weeks
    Into bracket those who will need to step up in case of injury crisis

1) Buckley, O'Donnell, Loughney (JP Cooney)
    2) McCartney, Heff, Delahunt, JHW
    3) Bealham, White, Carey (JP Cooney)
    4) Roux, Muldowney, Naoupu or another strong ball-carrier 5/8, (Qualter or Romaine)
    5) Dillane, Marshall, Browne, (Qualter or Romaine)
    6) Muldoon, SOB 2.0, Connolly, (Heenan)
    7) Heenan, Nepia, Connolly, (McKeon)
    8) McKeon, Masterson, Naoupu or another strong ball-carrier 5/8
    9) Marmion, Blade, one of Cooney/Porter, (Kerrins/Lowndes)
    10) McGinty or another line-breaker flyhalf, Carty, Ronaldson , (O'Leary)
    11) Healy, TOH, Carr or another winger/FB, (O'Keefe)
    12) Aki, Ronaldson, Robb, McSharry (Brennan)
    13) Griffin, Parata, Finn, Api
    14) Poolman, Leader, Niyi, (Gaffney)
    15) TOH, Leader, Carr or another winger/FB, (Gaffney)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

connachta wrote: »
    So for next year, with my own picking order, we should have
    In red "still uncertain", which will be sorted out within next weeks
    Into bracket those who will need to step up in case of injury crisis

1) Buckley, O'Donnell, Loughney (JP Cooney)
    2) McCartney, Heff, Delahunt, JHW
    3) Bealham, White, Carey (JP Cooney)
    4) Roux, Muldowney, Naoupu or another strong ball-carrier 5/8, (Qualter or Romaine)
    5) Dillane, Marshall, Browne, (Qualter or Romaine)
    6) Muldoon, SOB 2.0, Connolly, (Heenan)
    7) Heenan, Nepia, Connolly, (McKeon)
    8) McKeon, Masterson, Naoupu or another strong ball-carrier 5/8
    9) Marmion, Blade, one of Cooney/Porter, (Kerrins/Lowndes)
    10) McGinty or another line-breaker flyhalf, Carty, Ronaldson , (O'Leary)
    11) Healy, TOH, Carr or another winger/FB, (O'Keefe)
    12) Aki, Ronaldson, Robb, (Brennan)
    13) Griffin, Parata, Finn, Api
    14) Poolman, Leader, Niyi, (Gaffney)
    15) TOH, Leader, Carr or another winger/FB, (Gaffney)

No McSharry ?

No McSharry ?

****, 50 names I had to miss one:rolleyes:
    Correction made

• Advertisement

Browne (2 years) and Marshall (unspecified) re-sign:

www.connachtrugby.ie/browne-marshall-sig...nsions/#ConnachtNews

It's getting better and better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

connachta wrote: »
    Browne (2 years) and Marshall (unspecified) re-sign:

www.connachtrugby.ie/browne-marshall-sig...nsions/#ConnachtNews

It's getting better and better

Does it say two years anywhere apart from Browne's quote about another couple of seasons?

Don't really understand the logic of specifying length for some but not others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

S12b wrote: »
    So hoping Jake has signed on, that leaves the following players with contracts up:

Hooker: JHW
    Prop: JP Cooney
    Lock: Muldowney (assume he's gone)
    No.8: George
    Scrum-half: Cooney, Porter
    Out-half/centre: AJ, Ronaldson, O'Leary, Api, Finn
    Wing: Carr

Muldowney is most likely gone. That'll free up a nice chunk of wages.

George is decent put would have to take a decent pay cut I think as he's not worth what he was previously.
    Carr should def be let go. Way down the pecking order and not worth the money he is on either. Let Gaffney or O'Keefe step up.

I don't know about JHW and Cooney I'm not pushed about. Api no hope, hasn't impressed even at AIL level. O'Leary is a worthwhile keep, very versatile. Finn 50/50

Get rid of the excessive contracts and invest the money in one or two stars and let the academy players step up, there's plenty of them knocking on the door!

d-gal wrote: »

George is decent put would have to take a decent pay cut I think as he's not worth what he was previously.
    Carr should def be let go. Way down the pecking order and not worth the money he is on either. Let Gaffney or O'Keefe step up.

I don't know about JHW and Cooney I'm not pushed about. Api no hope, hasn't impressed even at AIL level. O'Leary is a worthwhile keep, very versatile. Finn 50/50

Get rid of the excessive contracts and invest the money in one or two stars and let the academy players step up, there's plenty of them knocking on the door!

Agree with a part, but not the end. We'll play Toulon, Exeter, Sarries next year, the Academy guys are able to step up in case of injuries, but we need 2 or 3 big names too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

JHW is in a tricky situation. An excellent player for us during his time with us but with Tom our clear starter and both Heffernan and Delahunt really impressing this season he may looks for a move to ensure playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Do you know what money people are on?
    I don't think anyone who was follwing Connacht around Christmas time would say we have excessive contracts.
    Reducing the squad size would not strike me as a prudent move.

Is this where someone would remind posters we are talking about peoples livelihoods etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Read in Sunday Indo - "Connacht to lose Muldowney" likely to sign for Grenoble, so that nearly 100%. Brendan Fanning wrote that and with Jackman the coach there you can take its fact, Fanning hardly would say without knowing.

I see Aki is off the uncertain list for next season above, is something happening there? Hadnt heard anything official. Resigning AJ McGinty and Ronaldson is critical, both their kicking of late has been excellent particularly Craigs.

maroondog wrote: »

I see Aki is off the uncertain list for next season above, is something happening there? Hadnt heard anything official. Resigning AJ McGinty and Ronaldson is critical, both their kicking of late has been excellent particularly Craigs.

Aki has one year left on his contract. In theory he'll be a prominent part of Connacht European campaign...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Do you know what money people are on?
    I don't think anyone who was follwing Connacht around Christmas time would say we have excessive contracts.
    Reducing the squad size would not strike me as a prudent move.

Is this where someone would remind posters we are talking about peoples livelihoods etc. etc.

Our budget is tight and it's all about management. When George signed his last contract he was one of our star players and we just signed him from Japan, he would have naturally been on better money than most at the time. Now he is not a starter. He will also be 33 in September.

Same goes with Carr, he was a starter when he signed, now he is down the pecking order.

Not saying reducing the squad is the answer. Just sign a couple of bigger names and also promote from within our academy, which has worked very well for us. It seems to be Lam's preference as well. Of course signing some like Carey is good. He won't be crazy money but he's a lot of potential. If we can pick up a couple like this to add to the squad that'll be huge

We'd a 40man squad this year and 21 academy players. We used 8 academy players. There's at least 5 senior players we used very little of (injuries also included). I feel there's at least 3 other academy players that will step up next year. Possibly 5.

Is there anyone worth looking at from Leinster/Munster/Ulster who's contracts are up? Or even AIL? AIL has worked wonders for us (Ronaldson, McSharry, Niyi, Healy etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Sea_point

Wouldn't be certain about Api, he's been unlucky with injury pretty much straight off the plane (three months out after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in the pre-season meeting with Castres.) and got to be remembered that he's in only his first season in Ireland, and is transitioning from League to Union. Lot of factors to consider.

Renewal will largely depend on what his costs (development plus contract?) are, and what Lam and his team believe his ceiling is based on all the factors above and what they've seen so far. His form for Galwegians certainly has got better as the season has worn on....

API try 1:52 in
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/matchdaytv/?play=media&id=23013
    A big performance here could be vital in steering them clear of that relegation play-off spot, and Matt Brown will be hoping for more from John Cleary and Api Pewhairangi who have tallied up eight tries between them in the last five rounds.
    It had all started so brightly for the hosts as John Cleary exploited some space out wide and centre Api Pewhairangi finished off the attack with his third try in four games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Muldowney turns 33 in August so Connacht may have gotten the best years out of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Was thinking about Dillane joining Connacht Academy instead of Munster Sub Academy. Are the academy and first team still training together? I remember Lam was said to have brought that in when he first came to Connacht. It would have been a huge carrot to someone as ambitious as Dilane who as Gerry Thornily mentioned in the Irish Times last weekend begged his couch in Tralee to start him in the first team at the age of 18.

its_phil wrote: »
    I'd struggle to put us up their with Exeter because their model is so good. That is a sensational story and they're operating in the black as well.

IRFU deserve massive credit for Connacht's turnaround with our budget increase. Really grinds my gears reading idiotic comments on Facebook articles from people assuming the IRFU still do SFA.

The Ground Development is the primary difference, but they haven't been hampered by Tenancy issues like Connacht has. I'd suggest we'd be seeing a very different Sportsground right now if the IRFU actually had owned the ground.

In terms of community outreach the clubs are well matched, the job Connacht has done over the last ten years in the province that requires the hardest sell has been spectacular....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

Our budget is tight and it's all about management. When George signed his last contract he was one of our star players and we just signed him from Japan, he would have naturally been on better money than most at the time. Now he is not a starter. He will also be 33 in September.

Same goes with Carr, he was a starter when he signed, now he is down the pecking order.

Not saying reducing the squad is the answer. Just sign a couple of bigger names and also promote from within our academy, which has worked very well for us. It seems to be Lam's preference as well. Of course signing some like Carey is good. He won't be crazy money but he's a lot of potential. If we can pick up a couple like this to add to the squad that'll be huge

We'd a 40man squad this year and 21 academy players. We used 8 academy players. There's at least 5 senior players we used very little of (injuries also included). I feel there's at least 3 other academy players that will step up next year. Possibly 5.

Is there anyone worth looking at from Leinster/Munster/Ulster who's contracts are up? Or even AIL? AIL has worked wonders for us (Ronaldson, McSharry, Niyi, Healy etc)

He signed an extension at the end of last season and considering that he wasn't playing much I doubt that he is on much money.

Sea_point wrote: »
    The Ground Development is the primary difference, but they haven't been hampered by Tenancy issues like Connacht has. I'd suggest we'd be seeing a very different Sportsground right now if the IRFU actually had owned the ground.

In terms of community outreach the clubs are well matched, the job Connacht has done over the last ten years in the province that requires the hardest sell has been spectacular....

A decision has to be reached on the Sportsground within the next year. As may posters have pointed out, it is not accessible for all fans and a severe lack of seating and rain cover is financially crippling from a gates point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

its_phil wrote: »
    A decision has to be reached on the Sportsground within the next year. As may posters have pointed out, it is not accessible for all fans and a severe lack of seating and rain cover is financially crippling from a gates point of view.

but what is the ceiling as far as number of seats required, I'd be hesitant to say we need anything over 12,000. in fact if we had that now there could well be a half-empty stadium for the majority of pro12 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think playing a couple of inter pros in Pearse stadium could be a great test of the overall appetite for a bigger stadium without committing to anything.

Of course the GAA would need to agree to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A playoff appearance and Europe will send STHs sales through the roof IMO.

b.gud wrote: »
    I think playing a couple of inter pros in Pearse stadium could be a great test of the overall appetite for a bigger stadium without committing to anything.

It'd be a disaster, location wise, capacity wise (26.5k), loss of revenue (rental cost, bars etc).

Due to pitch size supporters would be be further away than the Sportsground, and with only one stand more exposed to weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

b.gud wrote: »

Pearse stadium is hard enough to get to for GAA matches. The area is gridlocked and all travelling fans will have to cross the river aswell. And it's bad enough as it is

I'd love if the sportsground was transformed properly to a 9000-10000 stood/standing stadium. And the greyhound racing went away.

• Advertisement

typhoony wrote: »
    but what is the ceiling as far as number of seats required, I'd be hesitant to say we need anything over 12,000. in fact if we had that now there could well be a half-empty stadium for the majority of pro12 games.

Really currently about 8k capacity (two 4k stands either side with mixed seats and standing) , with the potential to build behind both in-goals if required (or put up temporary stands for big games). 12-14k maximum capacity with temporary stands....

Harlequins Stoop (14,8k Cap) is the building model Connacht should have, develop the ground over four or five season... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2372401/Quins-try-to-fast-track-redevelopment.html

Because there is only an average of about 5k is not the reason not to spend money on development, the fact is that the current ground discourages many people from attending. Go for one game and only be able to get a ticket for the Bohermore/College Road end (€22 for Leinster game) and get lashed out of it and see how keen you'll be to go again...

Because there is only an average of about 5k is not the reason not to spend money on development, the fact is that the current ground discourages many people from attending. Go for one game and only be able to get a ticket for the Bohermore/College Road end (€22 for Leinster game) and get lashed out of it and see how keen you'll be to go again...

Pretty much this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you build it they will come... ;)

Or not, if you're in Limerick! :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    If you build it they will come... ;)

Or not, if you're in Limerick! :D

They came, they stayed, they went away again, and are making their minds up slowly about coming back again (subject to certain criteria i.e. silverware)... :rolleyes:

But we digress...:cool:

Look we're never going to be a 15k per game team, but if we can get anywhere near 5-6k season ticket holders each season it would give the Club a fighting chance in terms of bringing in more revenue from sponsors.

The cold facts are that sponsors look at everything we do by comparison with the other provinces when looking to spend their marketing dollars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Zzippy wrote:
    If you build it they will come...

Zzippy wrote:
    Or not, if you're in Limerick!

We'll sell ye a stand if ye're stuck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

introduction of these "safe standing seats" could be an option:
    Klagenfurt-seats-for-AM.jpg

Means those who want/have to sit can sit while those who want to stand can stand
    They are purposely designed so person can sit and not have their view obstructed if person infront is standing
    It would also get rid of the biggest annoyance about terrace- you arrive nice and early and get a good spot and then some 6'4" guy comes 5 mins before kick off and stands infront of you and you're ****ed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Have to say I'd love seating. Got 2 kids with ST's as well and it a pain having to get in 45 mins before kickoff to get a good spot by the wall that they can see something. Then if you go to the toilet you risk some guy turning up at the last second trying to swipe not only your spot but shove the kids back as well ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

Pearse stadium is hard enough to get to for GAA matches. The area is gridlocked and all travelling fans will have to cross the river aswell. And it's bad enough as it is

I'd love if the sportsground was transformed properly to a 9000-10000 stood/standing stadium. And the greyhound racing went away.

i'd be in favor of all stood/standing stadium but i wonder if once it goes over a certain capacity will it have to have seating for safety reasons

i'd be in favor of all stood/standing stadium but i wonder if once it goes over a certain capacity will it have to have seating for safety reasons

Different demographics want different things, older fans and parents with kids would probably prefer seating. What Ulster have done with Ravenhill main stands is ideal.

Also from Connacht Rugby's perspective seats bring more revenue per head. Makes allocating tickets to away support easier too, in that you can just allocate a block or small sections of blocks like some clubs do... ::rolleyes:

Like yourself I much prefer standing at games though, but I'd still go with a 60/40 split standing to seats though....

You'd be in favour of it up until the point you're into older years and standing isn't a feasible option anymore.

We need to cater to every supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Have to say I'd love seating. Got 2 kids with ST's as well and it a pain having to get in 45 mins before kickoff to get a good spot by the wall that they can see something. Then if you go to the toilet you risk some guy turning up at the last second trying to swipe not only your spot but shove the kids back as well ��

really annoys me that. My daughter stands on her own at the wall (does not want me there distracting her) and I stand a few meters behind in the stand. One more that one occasion I've watched some self entitled prick turn up late and physically try to edge her out when there is clearly no room.......

wp_rathead wrote: »
    introduction of these "safe standing seats" could be an option:

Means those who want/have to sit can sit while those who want to stand can stand
    They are purposely designed so person can sit and not have their view obstructed if person infront is standing
    It would also get rid of the biggest annoyance about terrace- you arrive nice and early and get a good spot and then some 6'4" guy comes 5 mins before kick off and stands infront of you and you're ****ed :mad:

Sorry, blame genetics..... :cool:

really annoys me that. My daughter stands on her own at the wall (does not want me there distracting her) and I stand a few meters behind in the stand. One more that one occasion I've watched some self entitled prick turn up late and physically try to edge her out when there is clearly no room.......

Never, ever accept that..
    The wall is a kids area not adults...

Always challenge them "loudly" e.g. "what are you doing trying to push a (not your, a child) child out of the way?" !

If they get arsey take a picture of them with your phone, and speak to a Steward. Stewards are empowered to ask to to see their ticket at any time which will have a name on it. If the steward does nothing then report them as well to Connacht Rugby on the Monday.

Connacht are not stupid enough to ignore bullying of future customers, ripple impact of young fans having a bad experience could be catastrophic. Kid A doesn't want to go so parents can't go, then their mate who only goes because Kid A goes too doesn't want to go either so their Parents can't go too, six customers gone already...

Then word goes around that it's not a safe environment, Stewards don't protect kids.... Parents don't want to risk bringing kids...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Never, ever accept that..
    The wall is a kids area not adults...

Always challenge them "loudly" e.g. "what are you doing trying to push a (not your, a child) child out of the way?" !

to be honest I do nothing usually, she is far scarier than me and can well handle herself.....she will normally politely tell the individual that there is more room at the end of the terrace, or that he can see over her but she will not be able to see over him etc, people normally get the message, but it still annoys me that a very small minority of people behave like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

A playoff appearance and Europe will send STHs sales through the roof IMO.
    I agree with this and then I don't. It comes back to what was said on Against The Head last night. The Pro12 in its current form is on a path to self-destruction. We have to be able to compete with the EPL and the Top14. As was seen this year the IRFU/Pro12 model is not working. We are going backwards. There is no point in going to a Connacht vs Toulon game where the outcome is in no doubt, well whats the point. Same for a Leinster vs Zebre game where the game is in no doubt. The Pro12 has to become more competitive. There is no sense in having Zebre or Treviso in the mix if they don't compete.

To compete you need proper financial incentives and proper initiatives to build a league that is equal and exciting rather this lobsided thing we call the Pro12 these days. With Glasgow supplying nearly every first player in their team, with Leinster doing the same there has to be the ability to contract quality NIQ players. To do this the Pro12 needs the backing of large companies and indeed large businessmen (God, I don't like Denis O'Brien much but his name springs to mind as does a company like Cisco).

We will not evolve if we cannot find the funding. We must be able to equalize the teams to provide excitement rather than the guaranteed BP win against the bottom teams. We must provide exciting rugby (we are an entertainment business) at the club level.

While Tony Ward continues to say we need to give young players a go at international level, we must remember that international rugby is NOT an entertainment business, its a results business.

However the Pro12 is so out there on its own I see no future in it. I see no future in the IRFU contract restriction policies, and I can totally understand why nobody would want to invest in effectively the third division (soccer comparison used here) rugby teams.

So in terms of investing in the Sportsground, I would suggest we wait until there is a radical shift in Pro12 funding to make the competition worth watching.

Yeah the entitlement on some people is unreal. Remember one time last year I challenged someone for trying to edge in ahead of my 9 year old daughter. I'd already stepped back to let another kid up to the wall. His response was that he pays more for his ticket. The steward wasn't long putting him right.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    you arrive nice and early and get a good spot and then some 6'4" guy comes 5 mins before kick off and stands infront of you

Oh, come on, this is just Quinn Roux coming to the pitch to play, you can't disallow this:pac:

I agree with this and then I don't. It comes back to what was said on Against The Head last night. The Pro12 in its current form is on a path to self-destruction. We have to be able to compete with the EPL and the Top14. As was seen this year the IRFU/Pro12 model is not working. We are going backwards. There is no point in going to a Connacht vs Toulon game where the outcome is in no doubt, well whats the point. Same for a Leinster vs Zebre game where the game is in no doubt. The Pro12 has to become more competitive. There is no sense in having Zebre or Treviso in the mix if they don't compete.

To compete you need proper financial incentives and proper initiatives to build a league that is equal and exciting rather this lobsided thing we call the Pro12 these days. With Glasgow supplying nearly every first player in their team, with Leinster doing the same there has to be the ability to contract quality NIQ players. To do this the Pro12 needs the backing of large companies and indeed large businessmen (God, I don't like Denis O'Brien much but his name springs to mind as does a company like Cisco).

We will not evolve if we cannot find the funding. We must be able to equalize the teams to provide excitement rather than the guaranteed BP win against the bottom teams. We must provide exciting rugby (we are an entertainment business) at the club level.

While Tony Ward continues to say we need to give young players a go at international level, we must remember that international rugby is NOT an entertainment business, its a results business.

However the Pro12 is so out there on its own I see no future in it. I see no future in the IRFU contract restriction policies, and I can totally understand why nobody would want to invest in effectively the third division (soccer comparison used here) rugby teams.

So in terms of investing in the Sportsground, I would suggest we wait until there is a radical shift in Pro12 funding to make the competition worth watching.

You can be as daft as the Welsh Regions and hope for some crumbs from the Premiership table, but the reality is there is no other model available or likely to be available any time in the future.

The French and English clubs are not Turkeys so don't expect them to vote for Christmas anytime soon. The Championship and Pro2 will never be complicit in facilitating Pro12 clubs entry into their domestic league ahead of themselves.

So all Irish/Welsh & Scottish clubs can do is get on with it and make the best of it, clever recruitment (a la Connacht/Glasgow etc) making the right decisions to ensure the best coaching is in place rather than jobs for the boys.

Investment from big business is already in place for Leinster/Ulster and Munster to a degree their population sizes means they have greater options with their population size, for Connacht you'd be looking at a much narrower field and also an almost impossible sell.

But the notion that the IRFU will hand over control to the sort of megalomaniacs we've seen in England/France and Wales is complete and utter fantasy...there's more chance in the IRFU creating new franchises in most large towns and bankrolling new pro sides in a domestic league than selling up or giving majority share to Billy Big Wad's....

In the meantime Connacht has to focus on it's own business model and keep developing a stronger base, and key to that is growing supporter levels and key to that again is a fully functioning commercial stadium in a good location for access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

So two front row announcements yesterday and two second rows today. Could just be a coincidence but could also suggest that they are doing them by position, in which case it may be that JHW and JP Cooney (as well as Muldowney) will be leaving at the end of the season. Will be interesting to see if the back row announcements come next and if so, will Naoupu get another year. I think he's still well worth it if the price is right.

• Advertisement

If heenan resigns after it looked like he was going that will be a major coup and statement from Connacht. We don't just develop players any more. They want to stay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement