Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

As well as hoping key players are retained, interested in seeing what new acquisitions are made. Lam has made some very good signings so far, now with Connacht looking a real force and champions cup rugby, hopefully he can make a couple more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

BrokenMan wrote: »
    If heenan resigns after it looked like he was going that will be a major coup and statement from Connacht. We don't just develop players any more. They want to stay.
    Resigns or re-signs? Its a connacht clan issue !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The greyhounds really are holding the rugby back at this stage. I can't see them ever letting anything remotely permanent behind either goal so what options have they? The plans to add seating to the Clan are good, but would knocking the current main stand and replacing it be viable? Maybe something similar to the 2-tier Clan plans but with a bar/restaurant level in the middle or a few boxes? Maybe they could extend it a bit either side and build in a curve along a bit of the track, something like in the Brandywell but bigger (although I see with the renovation of that stadium they've moved the dog track altogether).

A groundshare with GUFC probably isn't viable as Terryland loses the walk-up element Connacht currently thrive on and I can't think where in town you'd build a new stadium (God knows when the Docks will be built).

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    The greyhounds really are holding the rugby back at this stage. I can't see them ever letting anything remotely permanent behind either goal so what options have they? The plans to add seating to the Clan are good, but would knocking the current main stand and replacing it be viable? Maybe something similar to the 2-tier Clan plans but with a bar/restaurant level in the middle or a few boxes? Maybe they could extend it a bit either side and build in a curve along a bit of the track, something like in the Brandywell but bigger (although I see with the renovation of that stadium they've moved the dog track altogether).

A groundshare with GUFC probably isn't viable as Terryland loses the walk-up element Connacht currently thrive on and I can't think where in town you'd build a new stadium (God knows when the Docks will be built).
    if you were to look at IGB books I see no reason why they wouldnt be open to reasonable offer. more of the issue is where they would relocate to. Pearse park, maybe terryland park? they would be happy to leave but the options suck

Sea_point wrote: »
    You can be as daft as the Welsh Regions and hope for some crumbs from the Premiership table, but the reality is there is no other model available or likely to be available any time in the future.

The French and English clubs are not Turkeys so don't expect them to vote for Christmas anytime soon. The Championship and Pro2 will never be complicit in facilitating Pro12 clubs entry into their domestic league ahead of themselves.

So all Irish/Welsh & Scottish clubs can do is get on with it and make the best of it, clever recruitment (a la Connacht/Glasgow etc) making the right decisions to ensure the best coaching is in place rather than jobs for the boys.

Investment from big business is already in place for Leinster/Ulster and Munster to a degree their population sizes means they have greater options with their population size, for Connacht you'd be looking at a much narrower field and also an almost impossible sell.

But the notion that the IRFU will hand over control to the sort of megalomaniacs we've seen in England/France and Wales is complete and utter fantasy...there's more chance in the IRFU creating new franchises in most large towns and bankrolling new pro sides in a domestic league than selling up or giving majority share to Billy Big Wad's....

In the meantime Connacht has to focus on it's own business model and keep developing a stronger base, and key to that is growing supporter levels and key to that again is a fully functioning commercial stadium in a good location for access.
    dont disagree but see likes of pat lam, bundee aki, matt healy, denis buckley, tiernan o'halloran, jake heenan simply walking away. if the pro12 continues to exist as a third rate competition why would these folks stay. And first and foremost it is not their fault. It is an absolutely appalling league. Probably Ospreys and Connacht are the only two teams out of 12 I would pay to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

WallyGUFC wrote: »

The dogs won't be moving for the same reasons Connacht don't want to move. Perfect location and investments already made. Also, Galway must be one of the better performing stadia for them.

Before we all get too high on our horses 10 years ago greyhound racing was booming and Connacht Rugby wasn't. At that time the doggy lads wanted Connacht turfed out because they made **** of the track by walking all over it every time there was a match. It wasn't done then so why should it happen now.
    Around that time they invested in their side. Connacht, who just avoided being disbanded, benefited from that.

I doubt very much the IRFU would buy the site. It would cost a small fortune. Why would we expect to be able to afford the rent it on our own? Would the increased rent be covered by the extra few who want to go behind the goals?
    How much compo would have to be paid to the IGB for their stand?

No point in wishing for things that won't happen a bit more investment in our side and take in more of the spending. If anyone was given a choice between watching from behind the goals or on the sideline what would they choose?
    The Clan could and should be expanded to include seating.
    Both sports have been facilitated well by the landlords, there is plenty Connacht can do on their part.

Pushing back the clubhouse would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think I remember reading/hearing something about plans to further expand the clan "once the funds became available" a while back. Maybe we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and just start there. You could get a decent increase in capacity and set up a proper raised terrace and some covered seating and see how it goes from there.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. Looks pretty good to me actually. http://www.3dgraphichouse.ie/indexd764.html?page=_viewer&mact=PropertyManager,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01property_id=80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think I remember reading/hearing something about plans to further expand the clan "once the funds became available" a while back. Maybe we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and just start there. You could get a decent increase in capacity and set up a proper raised terrace and some covered seating and see how it goes from there.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. Looks pretty good to me actually. http://www.3dgraphichouse.ie/indexd764.html?page=_viewer&mact=PropertyManager,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01property_id=80

Hadn't seen those in a while, really like the look of that stand

John Cooney renewed on one year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ClanofLams wrote: »
    John Cooney renewed on one year deal.
    So, off to Leinster when Reddan /Boss retire/ are given Golden Zimmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

When Marmion signed renewed his contract I was convinced Cooney was gone - bloody delighted he staying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

That's bloody brilliant, now if he can just stay fit.....Leinster sold us two crocks in Marshall and Cooney!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

S12b wrote: »
    That's bloody brilliant, now if he can just stay fit.....Leinster sold us two crocks in Marshall and Cooney!! :D

That's ok, we gave them Mick Kearney and he's hardly played for them since ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Going by the apparent trend of announcements by position group, it's bye bye Aly, George and Jake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

evil_seed wrote: »
    Going by the apparent trend of announcements by position group, it's bye bye Aly, George and Jake

Porterbelly says Jake is staying and is a reliable source on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is Muldowney IQ?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is Muldowney IQ?

Yeah he's IQ through his father I think, definitely one of his parents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Good to have Cooney re-signed, it will give Blade/Kerrins/Lowndes one more year to step up
    Unexpected, I really think this good surprise (as well as Jake possible one), has a strong link with the last two wins. Coming from uncertain to very likely ChampionsCup Qualification has had an influence obviously ...

It has to be just coincidence.
    That would be quiet a silly basis on which to make the announcements.
    Surely it's based on when the contracts are signed, which would be affected by a bazillion different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Porterbelly says Jake is staying and is a reliable source on here.

It is known

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It is known

I think your user name helps to add to the odd sense of mystic authority of that strangely succinct post....

Marmion, White and Dillane on the bench ..... meh!

I'm finding it hard to get worked up about the national team at the moment.

Roll on the Leinster game.

Will Dillane be allowed play?
    I presume Marmion and White will.

Looks like Leinster will defo be short a few after this selection.

Marmion, White and Dillane on the bench ..... meh!

I'm finding it hard to get worked up about the national team at the moment.

Roll on the Leinster game.

Will Dillane be allowed play?
    I presume Marmion and White will.

Looks like Leinster will defo be short a few after this selection.

If previous years are anything to go by anyone who has been benching or in the extended squad will be available. So everyone except Robbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

If previous years are anything to go by anyone who has been benching or in the extended squad will be available. So everyone except Robbie.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if White was available as he started two games and has played more rugby than any other TH so far in the squad

freyners wrote: »
    I'd be pleasantly surprised if White was available as he started two games and has played more rugby than any other TH so far in the squad

I actually completely forgot that Ross was missing for the first couple of games when I wrote that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

If it means Dillane/Marmion/Whitey (even on the bench) are available whereas most of the Leinster guys won't, I'm delighted with those news..

I know Craggy Island Rugby crew said so already but branch offically annoucned that extra terracing behind the goals due to demand, raising the capacity by 1400

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I know Craggy Island Rugby crew said so already but branch offically annoucned that extra terracing behind the goals due to demand, raising the capacity by 1400

Whats does that bring it up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

so 6,800 at the Leinster game?

• Advertisement

I think I remember the Munster game last season capacity was close to 8,000 with all the additional temporary terracing?

correct Bazzo- 7,745 according to Pro12 Site

There was a contract on the table for Heenan. If he goes where I heard he's going it will not go down well.
    Just a quote. And now its all changed?

Porterbelly, while i do appreciate your viewpoint (definitely more nailed down than my opinion) in this case the issue is a young kid who is staying or going home.

I find myself mystified with what these guys do and how they give up everything to be a professional player. Look at Bundee, young family back at home. Its my humble opinion but if Bundee is going to be a part of connacht his partner and kids have to be a part of it also. If we want Jake to stay we need to provide for him also. There is something more than just the player. Pat (and I honestly didn't believe in him) has done a staggering job. He has bought in to the Galway life. What makes me really happy is that he (and his family) seem to love it. And galway is a great town.

It is a reasonable opinion to suggest that these guys are a long way from home. They have a fantastic local environment. But that is not everything. They need their attachments to be a part of that environment. I am not saying we should move Jakes parents to Galway. I am saying that we need to understand the sense of distance. Can they not be flown to a game? More importantly Bundee should be encouraged to bring his family to Ireland.

Connacht has always been a family. We are proud of our team as fans. Would just love to see that sense of family expressed to the players who have come such a long distance to play for us

strangely aj mcginty was our 10 when we won at thomond. and strangely aj mcginty is now our 10 when we are doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

strangely aj mcginty was our 10 when we won at thomond. and strangely aj mcginty is now our 10 when we are doing well

AJ has been playing very well, but I think it's a bit unfair to Jack to say this. We are top of the league after all for the whole season so far, most of the games which jack started. He had a few shaky games but I thought he was coming into form nicely just before he got injured. Anyway great to have AJ to step in and hopefully his form continues!

• Advertisement

not really. aj playing out of his skin. we are so lucky to not lose our loose head buckley, our winger healy, our fullback toh. so screw ireland. they dont know what they are missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Porterbelly, while i do appreciate your viewpoint (definitely more nailed down than my opinion) in this case the issue is a young kid who is staying or going home.

I find myself mystified with what these guys do and how they give up everything to be a professional player. Look at Bundee, young family back at home. Its my humble opinion but if Bundee is going to be a part of connacht his partner and kids have to be a part of it also. If we want Jake to stay we need to provide for him also. There is something more than just the player. Pat (and I honestly didn't believe in him) has done a staggering job. He has bought in to the Galway life. What makes me really happy is that he (and his family) seem to love it. And galway is a great town.

It is a reasonable opinion to suggest that these guys are a long way from home. They have a fantastic local environment. But that is not everything. They need their attachments to be a part of that environment. I am not saying we should move Jakes parents to Galway. I am saying that we need to understand the sense of distance. Can they not be flown to a game? More importantly Bundee should be encouraged to bring his family to Ireland.

Connacht has always been a family. We are proud of our team as fans. Would just love to see that sense of family expressed to the players who have come such a long distance to play for us

Obviously I won't go into details on here but from what you'd hear moving Bundee's family over would be an extremely complicated undertaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Finlay Bealham on the bench for tomorrow at loosehead.....delighted for him!!

Although Denis Buckley must be feeling a little disappointed!! If it wasn't for that little ankle knock he could have really broken through this 6 Nations!

5 Connacht players in 23. Must be a record?

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote:

If robbie isn't injured we could have 5 connacht players on the field at the same time. Some going

freyners wrote: »
    If robbie isn't injured we could have 5 connacht players on the field at the same time. Some going

Going to be some year for Connacht in terms of Irish representation. A good finish to the season and Buckley, Healy, TOH will surely all be strong candidates for a place on the SA tour. Muldowney too if he were to somehow stick around. When's Heenan IQ? August is it?

Happy for Bealham but Buckley must feel very hard done by. Surely if he was in the squad he would be ahead of Bealham in the LH pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sea_point

Happy for Bealham but Buckley must feel very hard done by. Surely if he was in the squad he would be ahead of Bealham in the LH pecking order.

Yeah fair to guess he's home thinking, really WTF Joe...?

Denis is our nailed down number one loosehead, and the form one ion the country consistently over last eighteen months.

Finlay will be fine, he's a much improved player himself over same period as Denis, but Denis has been at the coal front and demolishing opponents domestic and foreign week in/ week out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

how many as a 1st pick, not many,selection forced due to injury.
    joe wouldn't get away with not playing form players in NZ.
    Pssed off that form players from Connacht/Ulster are not being rewarded with a start.
    e.g matt healy

leading up to the leinster game i find myself confused (ok most would say thats a norm for me). but honestly to beat ospreys and take a BP against edinburgh. What is wrong with this team? What is going on? I would have been ok with losing bonus points in these games. So what the feic is happening. I am mystified. I am indeed mystified to the point that I now believe we will beat Leinster. In years past this would have been a hope. Now I actually believe we will beat Leinster. This is feeling very weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Sea_point wrote: »
    Yeah fair to guess he's home thinking, really WTF Joe...?

Denis is our nailed down number one loosehead, and the form one ion the country consistently over last eighteen months.

Finlay will be fine, he's a much improved player himself over same period as Denis, but Denis has been at the coal front and demolishing opponents domestic and foreign week in/ week out....
    Wasn't Buckley injured at the start of the six nations? I know he's played for Connacht since then, but probably too late to draft him in at that stage without having to drop someone else I suppose.

Wasn't Buckley injured at the start of the six nations? I know he's played for Connacht since then, but probably too late to draft him in at that stage without having to drop someone else I suppose.

No. He made his comeback in mid January against Brive away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

leading up to the leinster game i find myself confused (ok most would say thats a norm for me). but honestly to beat ospreys and take a BP against edinburgh. What is wrong with this team? What is going on? I would have been ok with losing bonus points in these games. So what the feic is happening. I am mystified. I am indeed mystified to the point that I now believe we will beat Leinster. In years past this would have been a hope. Now I actually believe we will beat Leinster. This is feeling very weird

why would you be confused? Connacht have been excellent this season. They had a blip in december and january but they have been winning games well even if they arent up to much defensively they are capable of scoring from anywhere - scrum lineout/maul, back moves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

No. He made his comeback in mid January against Brive away.
    Was that not after the Ireland training squad was announced?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement