Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Was that not after the Ireland training squad was announced?

No, he played the match against Brive the week before the training squad was announced. There's also nothing stopping players from being added to the 6 nations squad at any time that I know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Bazzo wrote: »
    No, he played the match against Brive the week before the training squad was announced. There's also nothing stopping players from being added to the 6 nations squad at any time that I know of.
    Thanks. I seem to remember some talk of him being unlucky with the injury at the time.

Thanks. I seem to remember some talk of him being unlucky with the injury at the time.

He was originally expected to be out for 8-12 weeks but he somehow had surgery and made a full recovery in less than 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Sea_point wrote: »
    Yeah fair to guess he's home thinking, really WTF Joe...?

Denis is our nailed down number one loosehead, and the form one ion the country consistently over last eighteen months.

Finlay will be fine, he's a much improved player himself over same period as Denis, but Denis has been at the coal front and demolishing opponents domestic and foreign week in/ week out....
    Wasn't Buckley injured at the start of the six nations? I know he's played for Connacht since then, but probably too late to draft him in at that stage without having to drop someone else I suppose.
    Yeah but he got injured at the worst time for an uncapped player in a position where ireland are well stocked.

Robbie, Denis and someone I'm forgetting being injured was a slight blessing for Connacht though. Allowed a recharge for key players during a run of 16 games straight which I think has massively aided us for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

its_phil wrote: »
    Yeah but he got injured at the worst time for an uncapped player in a position where ireland are well stocked.

Robbie, Denis and someone I'm forgetting being injured was a slight blessing for Connacht though. Allowed a recharge for key players during a run of 16 games straight which I think has massively aided us for the rest of the season.
    The price of success :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tom McCartney is maybe who you are thinking off

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

4 Connacht players on the field, just waiting for Finlay to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Proud day lads. Connacht abú

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Make that all 5.

• Advertisement

Now just Connacht lad to score and be one from every Province

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Lovely hands from Bealham at the end there. Marmion and Dillane had good impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

way later and we are supplied with bealham, white, marmion, henshaw and dillane. at least they got one player right. go ultan

Great day for the province!

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

As an Ulster supporter, genuine congratulations to Connacht in providing one third of the Irish team for the last part of the match yesterday. Fully deserved and an indication of how rugby has evolved in the west recently. The only Irish team still in Europe and top of the Pro 12 with a real chance of a home semi. Well done.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Great day for the province!

image.jpg

Ever since this picture was posted, it's been driving me nuts that Nathan White really reminds me of someone. Couldn't put my finger on it but finally it clicked after reading this post:

015a49843e98fafe272357d602282ed2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

I see Andrew Conway has been added to Ireland squad with injury doubt over Rob Kearney. Crazy that he's ahead of Tiernan O Halloran in pecking order and hasn't stood out in the games I have seen him play for Munster.

Think Tiernan must feel hard done by in this case

Neither would be involved vs Scotland anyway but agree, I'd have TOH ahead of Conway every day of the week for extended squad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I'd have Buckley over Kilcoyne too. Albeit that one is probably closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Does anybody know if Finlay Bealham was eligible for any other countries besides Ireland and Australia?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,870 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Number 137 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Finlay Bealham was eligible for any other countries besides Ireland and Australia?

metrocity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Connacht sign Marnitz Boshoff, South African outhalf. http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-sign-springbok-international-outhalf-marnitz-boshoff/#ConnachtNews

Anybody know much about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Connacht sign Marnitz Boshoff, South African outhalf. http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-sign-springbok-international-outhalf-marnitz-boshoff/#ConnachtNews

That can't be good news for McGinty

94% Goal Kicking last season!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

That is a very tidy signing. Nothing spectacular but I would certainly put him ahead of Connacht's current fly-halves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Do we really need 4 outhalfs? Who's getting cut?

Do we really need 4 outhalfs? Who's getting cut?

That'll be MacGinty gone unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

We've now the second best outhalf in Ireland for next year. He's better than Keatley, PJ and whatever back up Leinster have. Great signing, exactly what was needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Sounds promising. Mention of him landing a drop goal as well. When was the last time Connacht actually scored a drop goal?

If his contract isn't renewed I wouldn't be surprised to see MacGinty pop up at another province.
    All three could do with a player of his calibre.

However, I am concious that we haven't had a renewal for Ronaldson yet and this guy seems to be able to fill a few other positions as well as out half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Could be a very handy signing - I wonder is he any good at fish and chips ;)?

Bit unfortunate for McGinty - being NIE although born in Dublin is not helping his career. Let's hope his head doesn't go down for the rest of the season, we need him on top form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The issue for MacGinty is he's NIE. Otherwise I'd say any of the provinces would want to sign him immediately. Munster already have an NIE 10 so they're not an option. Ulster need a backup 10 with Humphreys retiring but have already signed up more NIE players than the 3+1 quota. Leinster might possibly have a look but they have other concerns at lock, 9 and back three depth.

Munster already have an NIE 10 so they're not an option.

Is there not a possibility he won't be there next year? Munster can't be overly pleased with his contribution thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Excellent news. As others have said very tough on McGinty but if he maintains his current form there's no doubt he'll get picked up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,870 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Boshoff is a decent enough signing, but hes 3 rd choice at the lions currently and had a pretty bad arm break a year an a half ago... and since hes found it hard to break back into the squad

The problem with MacGinty is he is NIE- otherwise all the provinces would be after him..
    Hopefully he finds a club in Europe - if not he always has the new Pro League in America to play in
    BrokenMan wrote: »
    Sounds promising. Mention of him landing a drop goal as well. When was the last time Connacht actually scored a drop goal?

Dan Parks used to be handy for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A superb kicker with a year or twos experience in Super Rugby with the Lions.

Everything. EVERYTHING Connacht are doing right now is impressing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

The issue for MacGinty is he's NIE. Otherwise I'd say any of the provinces would want to sign him immediately. Munster already have an NIE 10 so they're not an option. Ulster need a backup 10 with Humphreys retiring but have already signed up more NIE players than the 3+1 quota. Leinster might possibly have a look but they have other concerns at lock, 9 and back three depth.

IMO, MacGinty could probably appeal that rule to Europe if he wanted.
    It's effectively a restriction of trade for an EU citizen.
    Look at how the various European football leagues had to remove their rules on maximum number of foreign players as it violated freedom of trade of EU citizens.

While MacGinty is not Irish qualified due to playing for USA, he is an Irish citizen and could take a case.
    However, he's unlikely to do it himself and it would probably take a players union to take the case on his behalf.
    I'm sure that knowing he was on a short term contract he has his reps working on getting him a contract elsewhere, if not at Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

IMO, MacGinty could probably appeal that rule to Europe if he wanted.
    It's effectively a restriction of trade for an EU citizen.
    Look at how the various European football leagues had to remove their rules on maximum number of foreign players as it violated freedom of trade of EU citizens.

While MacGinty is not Irish qualified due to playing for USA, he is an Irish citizen and could take a case.
    However, he's unlikely to do it himself and it would probably take a players union to take the case on his behalf.
    I'm sure that knowing he was on a short term contract he has his reps working on getting him a contract elsewhere, if not at Connacht.

I don't know the ins and outs of the above. You could argue MacGinty made a choice to play for the US and a choice therefore to make himself ineligible. I'm certain the IRFU would have any policy on quotas etc screened for possible legal issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

d-gal wrote: »
    We've now the second best outhalf in Ireland for next year. He's better than Keatley, PJ and whatever back up Leinster have. Great signing, exactly what was needed

Think you're getting ahead of yourself there. I've only seen him a few times in his one full S15 season where he was good if not spectacular but he has dropped off the radar massively since.

He's a good signing relative to what the current options are. He will be first choice at Connacht and is a good goal kicker, most importantly.

I wouldn't push him much more than that. He's generally a Currie Cup level or Super Rugby back up player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I don't know the ins and outs of the above. You could argue MacGinty made a choice to play for the US and a choice therefore to make himself ineligible. I'm certain the IRFU would have any policy on quotas etc screened for possible legal issues.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I think the rule was implemented to prevent the provinces from getting flooded with foreign players (in much the same way soccer did), who generally would have been coming from outside the EU - Pacific Islanders, NZ, Oz & SA.
    It was probably never considered that an Irish citizen could be Non Irish Qualified and playing for another country, while playing their club game in Ireland.

I just think that he, or any player in a similar position, let's say a French player was prevented from signing by the IRFU, would have a case.
    In fact, if Stephen Moore qualifies for an Irish passport (pretty sure he does), and it could be proven that IRFU blocked his move, Moore or Munster could probably have taken a case against IRFU.

Covered seating at the bohermore end on the agenda according to their questionnaire...

I'd much prefer covered seating on the clan side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    Think you're getting ahead of yourself there. I've only seen him a few times in his one full S15 season where he was good if not spectacular but he has dropped off the radar massively since.

He's a good signing relative to what the current options are. He will be first choice at Connacht and is a good goal kicker, most importantly.

I wouldn't push him much more than that. He's generally a Currie Cup level or Super Rugby back up player.

+1. He's your archetypal kicking SA 10 from my recollection. Not as good as PJ by any stretch.

Better than Keatley, but unfortunately for Munster that is not saying a whole amount.

I think he's a good acquisition, at the least you shouldn't lose games for want of a goalkicker. I wouldn't pin your hopes on him unlocking tight defenses though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

swiwi_ wrote: »
    +1. He's your archetypal kicking SA 10 from my recollection. Not as good as PJ by any stretch.

Better than Keatley, but unfortunately for Munster that is not saying a whole amount.

I think he's a good acquisition, at the least you shouldn't lose games for want of a goalkicker. I wouldn't pin your hopes on him unlocking tight defenses though.

TBH we dont exactly have that at the moment. My only criticism of Carty is a reluctance to take on defences more, despite being quite good at it when he tries. AJ brings that in leaps and bounds. Lam might value experience more than me but I reckon AJ has a better offer on the table (ulster seems the obvious one) because I think we would be mad to let him go.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

freyners wrote: »
    TBH we dont exactly have that at the moment. My only criticism of Carty is a reluctance to take on defences more, despite being quite good at it when he tries. AJ brings that in leaps and bounds. Lam might value experience more than me but I reckon AJ has a better offer on the table (ulster seems the obvious one) because I think we would be mad to let him go.

McGinty is NIQ, no way Ulster can sign him. We've already got special dispensation once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

d-gal wrote: »

Eh, bit much that really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

awec wrote: »
    McGinty is NIQ, no way Ulster can sign him. We've already got special dispensation once.

Whoops, would seem to be a good fit but forgot about the number of NIQs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

BrokenMan wrote: »

miah nikora v bourgoin 2010 always rated him injury and lack of favour limited his run!
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/nikoras-drop-of-magic-26648771.html

his boot sounds like a howitzer from WW1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-yfWQtHRgY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Eh, bit much that really?

He's far better than Keatley. Mads is gone and he's far better than anything else Leisnter has as back up. PJ is a good player but this fella is a far superior kicker and they're both decent in attack but nothing special. Before his arm break he was one of the better a South African outhalves. He is slowly recapturing his form. I'd be extremely confident Lam will get the best out of him.

Being straightforward if you have a lad in your team that's a 90%+ conversion rate then you're a force to be reckoned with. The kicking at provincial level this year is absolutely awful at the moment

Personally I'm not going to say he is better than PJ until I see the lad play but his kicking percentages are really promising

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement