Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

does seem like its curtains for AJ at connacht which is an absolute shame. He will be a good steal whoever gets him. Have really loved the way he has challenged the line. I can only guess the only reason we are 'obviously' letting him go is because of the NIE issue. If I were forced to pick Carty or McGinty it would be an easy choice these days (Jack fit or not). AJ is what we have been waiting for (has taken a short while to get there while Jack has taken forever to get there and still isn't there). Its a mad year. Leicester soccer continue to win, Roscommon has a GAA team have gone from nothing to where they are, and Connacht are simply sensational. The Conway decision is so mystifying it boggles my arteries. But I maintain my argument. Its better for Connacht that we retain our players for a crucial part of the season. I honestly thought our last two games would have shown us up. The only thing it showed up is that we have a great team, a great sense of belief, and a great manager. All good here. I know Denis and Tiernan will be disappointed. I know that Joe makes it so hard to break into an international squad. I know its awfully frustrating seeing these international choices. I know its very worrying to have Joe make choices that simply to the normal punter are bizarre. It is a worry for the summer/autumn games that our form players will not be involved based on such decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Re the quota on NIQ players, are Connacht not exempt from this, it only applies to the other 3 Provinces? In theory could Connacht not retain MacGinty (thou very unlikely to have 2 quality outhalves using up limited wages) and MacGinty & Boshoff compete for no. 10 spot? If Boshoff has been out of contention at the Lions for a while, he may not be as costing as much as you'd think wages wise. Having 2 decent outhalves would be a huge plus. Carty's place kicking can be bit hit and miss and also he still very young. Conn have suffered alot in recent seasons from not taking points on offer from conversions and penalties.

Also on place kicking theme, any word/rumours on Ronaldson contract renewal? Really need to be tying up these contracts and be as competitive as we can for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

d-gal wrote: »
    its_phil wrote: »
    Eh, bit much that really?

He's far better than Keatley. Mads is gone and he's far better than anything else Leisnter has as back up. PJ is a good player but this fella is a far superior kicker and they're both decent in attack but nothing special. Before his arm break he was one of the better a South African outhalves. He is slowly recapturing his form. I'd be extremely confident Lam will get the best out of him.

Being straightforward if you have a lad in your team that's a 90%+ conversion rate then you're a force to be reckoned with. The kicking at provincial level this year is absolutely awful at the moment

Kicking percentages are great but id much rather judge an out half on ability to get into position for those kicks. PJ is the best passer of the ball in the country and this guy hasn't been playing for the Lions. I'm picking PJ for the time being and also PJ is a fine kicker these days.

Eh, bit much that really?

He's far better than Keatley. Mads is gone and he's far better than anything else Leisnter has as back up. PJ is a good player but this fella is a far superior kicker and they're both decent in attack but nothing special. Before his arm break he was one of the better a South African outhalves. He is slowly recapturing his form. I'd be extremely confident Lam will get the best out of him.

Being straightforward if you have a lad in your team that's a 90%+ conversion rate then you're a force to be reckoned with. The kicking at provincial level this year is absolutely awful at the moment

Kicking percentages are great but id much rather judge an out half on ability to get into position for those kicks. PJ is the best passer of the ball in the country and this guy hasn't been playing for the Lions. I'm picking PJ for the time being and also PJ is a fine kicker these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Lam has a lot of faith in carty and there have been two periods where we were beginning to see why. Towards the end of last season and just before he injured himself he was playing very very well, passing and kicking from play was sublime and was generally picking the right times to do both as well. His goal kicking has also improved a lot as the season came on.

He's been unfortunately that both times he found form it's been cut short thriugh the season ending and injury but I can see why lam is investing time in him. Imo He has the potential to be extremely good. Hopefully upon recovery he can hit this peak again.

Will be sad to see aj go. He's been immense recently

freyners wrote: »
    Lam has a lot of faith in carty and there have been two periods where we were beginning to see why. Towards the end of last season and just before he injured himself he was playing very very well, passing and kicking from play was sublime and was generally picking the right times to do both as well. His goal kicking has also improved a lot as the season came on.

He's been unfortunately that both times he found form it's been cut short thriugh the season ending and injury but I can see why lam is investing time in him. Imo He has the potential to be extremely good. Hopefully upon recovery he can hit this peak again.

Will be sad to see aj go. He's been immense recently
    Not going to thank your post as I said the same earlier and you didn't thank my post. You gotta love this thank stuff :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

If it's thanks you're after, paragraphs help.

Hagz wrote: »
    If it's thanks you're after, paragraphs help.
    that must be it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Given our kicking performances this season, if this guy can kick 90% then he has to be picked. End of story. I'm sure his passing is just fine anyway, in fairness AJ has been class recently and has given our backline an extra dimension but there have been a lot of games this season where we've left probably 10 points or more out on the pitch through missed kicks.

So if Boshoff can manage to get most of those that's a massive extra contribution on the scoreboard. It would need to be one hell of a good attacking out half to contribute 10 extra points a game through their passing and running game.

Also as exciting as our style of play has been this season I think there have been times when we've needed to be more pragmatic in our approach and play the territory a little more so hopefully this guy can help us to achieve that.

Given our kicking performances this season, if this guy can kick 90% then he has to be picked. End of story. I'm sure his passing is just fine anyway, in fairness AJ has been class recently and has given our backline an extra dimension but there have been a lot of games this season where we've left probably 10 points or more out on the pitch through missed kicks.

So if Boshoff can manage to get most of those that's a massive extra contribution on the scoreboard. It would need to be one hell of a good attacking out half to contribute 10 extra points a game through their passing and running game.

Also as exciting as our style of play has been this season I think there have been times when we've needed to be more pragmatic in our approach and play the territory a little more so hopefully this guy can help us to achieve that.

I criticised Ronaldsons percentages last month but he's currently second in the Golden Boot at 76% behind Tovey at 81%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

His only problem isn't kicking, passing or even line-breaking. He excels in all these attacking pattern. But his defence.
    When you look at his stats and closely to the Golden Lions gameplan in October, you can see he missed tackles and is often placed in the 2nd line of defence.

I do think Lam should do the same, he can be fly-half in attack and Full-back/winger in defensive configuration. Poolman/TOH are well able to be engaged in the 1st line, and Boshoff has got monster kicks that could help to gain territory if he covers the opposition clearance kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He hasn't made a 23 for the Lions this season so I'm not sure how he's recapturing his form. He broke his arm 2 years ago. He has slid down the selection order. Last season he lost the starting spot. This season he has lost the bench spot.

He's a really useful signing for Connacht but give me PJ any day ahead of him who is certainly better than decent in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Boshoff try for the Barbarians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I criticised Ronaldsons percentages last month but he's currently second in the Golden Boot at 76% behind Tovey at 81%.

76% isn't great. You need your kicker to be 85+.

The Golden Boot is skewed at the moment because a lot of guys haven't reached the threshold of kicks yet.

76% isn't great. You need your kicker to be 85+.

The Golden Boot is skewed at the moment because a lot of guys haven't reached the threshold of kicks yet.

It was a lot worse a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Reading Golden Lions forum with the help of Google translate, their fans are not happy to be losing him. Suggesting that this was known for a time which is why he lost his place in the squad a couple of months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If I'm reading the same forum CoL they all extremely pissed about the racial quota system

wp_rathead wrote: »
    If I'm reading the same forum CoL they all extremely pissed about the racial quota system

That's the one. Some fairly controversial remarks on there about the country in general at the moment as far as I could tell, no real knowledge about it myself but interesting insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I found it a little unnerving reading myself.
    Anywho, looks like he is highly rated there.
    Nice bit of homework done by everyone here.
    Connacht fans and staff alike :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

A few SH posters on Reddit seem to have positive things to day about him https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/4adj91/connacht_sign_springbok_outhalf_marnitz_boshoff/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I find it odd that a lot of bandwagon rugby fans in general assume Boshoff is quality purely on the basis he's South African, this is not true. He's possibly going to be a third choice 10 assuming Carty gets back soon, second choice is Aj McGinty, one of these will surely offer a centre role, but other than that I cannot understand why they have signed him. Is AJ set to go at the end of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I find it odd that a lot of bandwagon rugby fans in general assume Boshoff is quality purely on the basis he's South African, this is not true. He's possibly going to be a third choice 10 assuming Carty gets back soon, second choice is Aj McGinty, one of these will surely offer a centre role, but other than that I cannot understand why they have signed him. Is AJ set to go at the end of the season?
    McGinty isn't confirmed for next season and I don't think people are assuming anything about Boshoff simply because he's South African.
    And why the dismissal of "bandwagon" fans???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm pretty sure Connacht have signed him to be first choice. Carty will get games but is still pretty inconsistent and is a hit or miss place kicker. Plus he's coming back from a ruptured spleen so is going to start the season as 2nd choice at best. Don't really know what will happen with McGinty. Might stay. Might not.

McGinty isn't confirmed for next season and I don't think people are assuming anything about Boshoff simply because he's South African.
    And why the dismissal of "bandwagon" fans???

No dismissal on my part, I love a good bandwagon, however if your going to join a bandwagon you should always learn more info and knowledge on that particular wagon.

Reading some comments online from these fans you would swear Connacht were at a crisis in terms of an out half when that is not the case, I believe Carty and AJ are ahead of Boshoff so linking back to the "bandwagoners", they need acknowledge that your team has a good thing going right now instead of assuming differently. If Connacht were in a crisis, they wouldn't be Top of the Pro 12. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I think even the "bandwagon fans" are aware that kicking cost us hugely last season and has been a particular weak point this season. I think the bandwagon fans and the diehards are excited by his kicking percentage stats as opposed to his nationality...strange post tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

He'll be first choice

FFS, he's a 90% goalkicker.

27, in his prime, capped Springbok. Major coup imo.

I think even the "bandwagon fans" are aware that kicking cost us hugely last season and has been a particular weak point this season. I think the bandwagon fans and the diehards are excited by his kicking percentage stats as opposed to his nationality...strange post tbh

It's the comments from the bandwagon dismissing this years efforts and also there is an assumption that beacuse he's South African international (only just) that he's a superstar, remember he was capped once.The diehards know that score, I just think AJ is a better player who must be going soon otherwise we'll have 3 guys battling it out for 10. Two works, three is a crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It's the comments from the bandwagon dismissing this years efforts and also there is an assumption that beacuse he's South African international (only just) that he's a superstar, remember he was capped once.The diehards know that score, I just think AJ is a better player who must be going soon otherwise we'll have 3 guys battling it out for 10. Two works, three is a crowd.

fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinions, it make for more interesting discussion. I just don't really get where you are coming from. I just didn't pick up from the previous discussions and posts that people were excited by his nationality, just by his kicking stats and potential....
    I think AJ has been great the last couple of months, Jack is great when he is on form, Ronnaldson can also at times have a wonderful left foot. However they have all blown very hot and cold this season. There has been a noticeable lack of consistency and this had probably been our main weak point for the last 18 months. This may not be that apparent unless you go to the games (given the lack of TV coverage in the first 1/2 of the season)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

If Jack Carty is able to maintain the starting 10 slot ahead of Boshoff then I think that's a pretty interesting insight into the comparative depth of talent between Ireland and South Africa.

I found it a little unnerving reading myself.
    Anywho, looks like he is highly rated there.
    Nice bit of homework done by everyone here.
    Connacht fans and staff alike :P
    awaiting the heenan re-signing. and if aj does likewise then better again. marshall and roux seem very injury prone, then with the loss of muldowney and dillane heading the international route leaves us exposed in the second row. also exposed at fullback. need more than darragh and tiernan to cover fullback. then with rodney gone and nathan aging we probably need cover in the front row also. it was an interesting stat posted some time ago about the time denis got injured and how results went south. so another signing needed there. otherwise we are strong in all other areas.

personally would like to see academy folk to stand up and deliver rather than new signings. the likes of o'donnell, qualter and o'leary given their opportunity would be good come the new season. for the moment lets just win the pro12, challenge cup and hope we don't lose any players that we cant afford to lose during the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Yep Connacht sign a South African player to not even sit on the bench as he will be 3rd choice. Christ some people are delusional.

He's a ridiculously talented kicker. He's a fantastic acquisition and probably the main position we've been searching for some time.
    I reckon AJ is gone so that means it's Carty and Boshoff. Ronaldson is seen as a 12 by Lam, def not a 10 for him so will be only used in a emergency.

Who's dismissing the efforts of this year?? McGinty has gotten tons of praise on here and most posters also acknowledge Carty can be very good at times but would say he needs more consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Don't know why people are going on about boshoffs kicking percentage, he's SA international that's all that matters!

think we are lucky that we can attract players. 5 years ago things would have been different. we (connacht) are now an attractive proposition to any player. well done pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

lostboy75 wrote: »
    Don't know why people are going on about boshoffs kicking percentage, he's SA international that's all that matters!

He was a late call up when the back up fly half got injured and gained his one and only cap off the bench in a rout against Scotland.

The jury is defiantly out just because he has one cap for SA means absolutely nothing, he has not played many seasons as a 1st choice fly half in super rugby, at 27 has age on his side, hope he becomes a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

He was a late call up
    Was aiming for humour, I missed, my average is quite a bit lower than his.
    Don't know the man from Adam, but what I have read he dropped down the pecking order due to broken arm initially, then (hopefully) his recovery. A but of time here he will hopefully get back to his earlier form

Lams record in recruitment is very good. Super XV is of a higher standard than anything in Europe imo and of a considerably higher standard than Pro12. I would be confident he will be an excellent signing.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Lams record in recruitment is very good. Super XV is of a higher standard than anything in Europe imo and of a considerably higher standard than Pro12. I would be confident he will be an excellent signing.
    agreed. if you look at likes of heenan, nepia, mccartney, aj, we are not short on excellence. pat has delivered well. i do do hope he is not a moyes type manager where he brings his players with him elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

agreed. if you look at likes of heenan, nepia, mccartney, aj, we are not short on excellence. pat has delivered well. i do do hope he is not a moyes type manager where he brings his players with him elsewhere

Into the Irish job hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Who are the bandwagon fans mister I've never seen you post here before :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Boshoff has been signed to be our first choice 10. No doubt about that. Good and all as we've been this season we still have two glaring weaknesses: Goal Kicking and defence. This should hopefully address the first of those issues.

Obviously kicking in the Sportsground is a different proposition to South Africa but if he can deliver somehwere around 85% then he'll be worth his weight in gold.

Completely off the top of my head here but I'd say of our 7 games we have lost this season that at least 3 of them (thinking immediately of Brive and Scarlets away and Ulster at home) could have been won with better goal kicking

Boshoff has been signed to be our first choice 10. No doubt about that. Good and all as we've been this season we still have two glaring weaknesses: Goal Kicking and defence. This should hopefully address the first of those issues.

Obviously kicking in the Sportsground is a different proposition to South Africa but if he can deliver somehwere around 85% then he'll be worth his weight in gold.

Completely off the top of my head here but I'd say of our 7 games we have lost this season that at least 3 of them (thinking immediately of Brive and Scarlets away and Ulster at home) could have been won with better goal kicking

Could be misremembering but I think we missed 2 kicks at goal Glasgow away as well and lost by a point. Although I'd blame that defeat on a pathetic first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

think we are lucky that we can attract players. 5 years ago things would have been different. we (connacht) are now an attractive proposition to any player. well done pat

And Eric

It was Eric who made the first wave of high profile signings in Dan Parks, Willie Faloon, and Nathan White.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

And Eric

It was Eric who made the first wave of high profile signings in Dan Parks, Willie Faloon, and Nathan White.

Was Willie Faloon really a high profile signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Willie was high profile, Nathan was a wide profile, and Parks was a short profile with sticky outy bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

And Eric

In fairness the profile of signings has increased since then. Dan Parks was coming to the end of his career, Willie Faloon was an Ulster squad player and Nathan White was a backup at Leinster. They were all good signings but not the same profile as Muliaina and Aki.

He was in a sense that he was a regular in ulster squads but moved for a starting position and was a standout performer while here.

Still haven't understood why he moved back it it wasn't personal reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

freyners wrote: »
    He was in a sense that he was a regular in ulster squads but moved for a starting position and was a standout performer while here.

Still haven't understood why he moved back it it wasn't personal reasons

Saw Willie in the huntsmann last Friday evening, must have missed the place! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I have to disagree. Contrary to those here who based their judgement on positive/negative reputation and apparences on teamsheets, I base mine on the several most recent game he played with Golden Lions this autumn.

1) Sadly, no, he's not at all a good defender, that's not just about "recovery", one and a half years after his injury. Often sent back in the 2nd line of defence, and missed a lot of tackles the few times he had to be sollicitated

2) No, his kicking to the post isn't that great, missed most conversions when they were close to the touchline

3) His decision making isn't great all the time. Stupid chip over the top whereas Lions were in possession in the opponent 22. Impossible offload straight in the opponent hands.

4) Goes back in the impacts.

5) But yes he always tries to offload and often does it well

6) Has good kicking distance (to the post and in open play)

7) Variation in his animation of the attacking line, inside passes in the best timing I've ever seen

8) So much at east with drop goal

9) Good running orientation.

That's an analysis based on recent facts, from what can be seen, simple as that. Of course, it could change a bit, only for the best, under Lam coaching staff...

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    I have to disagree. Contrary to those here who based their judgement on positive/negative reputation and apparences on teamsheets, I base mine on the several most recent game he played with Golden Lions this autumn.

1) Sadly, no, he's not at all a good defender, that's not just about "recovery", one and a half years after his injury. Often sent back in the 2nd line of defence, and missed a lot of tackles the few times he had to be sollicitated

2) No, his kicking to the post isn't that great, missed most conversions when they were close to the touchline

3) His decision making isn't great all the time. Stupid chip over the top whereas Lions were in possession in the opponent 22. Impossible offload straight in the opponent hands.

4) Goes back in the impacts.

5) But yes he always tries to offload and often does it well

6) Has good kicking distance (to the post and in open play)

7) Variation in his animation of the attacking line, inside passes in the best timing I've ever seen

8) So much at east with drop goal

9) Good running orientation.

That's an analysis based on recent facts, from what can be seen, simple as that. Of course, it could change a bit, only for the best, under Lam coaching staff...

Finally someone who agrees with me, whatever anyone thinks is valid, only time will tell who will be Connacht's main out half. On AJ though I hope he stays on for another year at least. IMO I think he can really grow into that Connacht setup very nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement