Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The opinions of saffers who have been watching him in years seems to be that's he a good goalkicker solid defender but a bit limited in attack. Time will tell I guess.

I'd love AJ to stay but I doubt Connacht are gonna be allowed two NIQ 10s.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The opinions of saffers who have been watching him in years seems to be that's he a good goalkicker solid defender but a bit limited in attack. Time will tell I guess.

I'd love AJ to stay but I doubt Connacht are gonna be allowed two NIQ 10s.
    Half of Munsterfans would march on d'IRFU at the sheer perceived injustice of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ClanofLams wrote: »

Maybe in the past. But quite recent videos will always be a better indication than the best "authorized" opinion. Except in case of injury comeback, which was no more the situation.

Boshoff makes good restarts too, new for Connacht

81% carreer kicking success rate in August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

And Eric

It was Eric who made the first wave of high profile signings in Dan Parks, Willie Faloon, and Nathan White.
    I would attribute to eric more weight to the development of the academy which is now seeing a flood of quality players coming. Parata, connolly, Robb, delahunt, sob2, quarter, Finn, and they just keep coming.

Eric had an impossible job with a back line that simply were so young and so inexperienced but he did his best. These guys have now grown up to be fine players. He deserves credit for understanding their ability.

Pat has brought it to the next level, but yes eric had laid a foundation. It was a shaky foundation but he saw the talent and believed in it. Now we move to new levels but Eric's belief in those kids has been proven correct by pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

After reading an article today, I supect AJ will be playing the New American Rugby League. There is a 12 week season. He would be a marque signing for one of the franchises. Once its over he could resign or go to Munster.

ki wrote: »
    After reading an article today, I supect AJ will be playing the New American Rugby League. There is a 12 week season. He would be a marque signing for one of the franchises. Once its over he could resign or go to Munster.
    As we all get caught up in the hype that is Connacht these days I would suspect that aj would not leave voluntarily.

And while Leinster have the game in hand I rather the points in the bag. Leinster have to earn every yard to catch us. We have already crossed that measurement. So leinster, look up because that's us at the top.. Come get us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

ki wrote: »

Got a link? I'd be interested in reading the article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

b.gud wrote: »
    Got a link? I'd be interested in reading the article

http://www.the42.ie/usa-pro-rugby-irish-links-rosters-squads-2662985-Mar2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

• Advertisement

typhoony wrote: »

Is that bicycle supporting Rodney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Apparently John Muldoon fell of his bike aswell ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Robbo wrote:
    Half of Munsterfans would march on d'IRFU at the sheer perceived injustice of it all.

That's funny as it wasn't too long ago Connacht fans were marching up to D4 :pac

case885 wrote: »
    That's funny as it wasn't too long ago Connacht fans were marching up to D4 :pac

And we had every right to do so. We were stripped left, right and centre of our best players by the other provinces. It wasnt the players fault. We were ****e so it was well justified. Now players want to move to connacht.

That aside we were screwed by the other provinces in those days as we were easy pickings. Those days are over

And we had every right to do so. We were stripped left, right and centre of our best players by the other provinces. It wasnt the players fault. We were ****e so it was well justified. Now players want to move to connacht.

That aside we were screwed by the other provinces in those days as we were easy pickings. Those days are over

That is bit unfair on the other provinces who supported Connacht Rugby being kept professional when it was proposed we be effectively scrapped by the IRFU in 2003
    It is in stark contrast to how Welsh Regions reacted to Celtic Warriors- Cardiff Blues particularly supported letting CW fold as they thought the Ponty and Bridgend fans would support them instead..

wp_rathead wrote: »
    That is bit unfair on the other provinces who supported Connacht Rugby being kept professional when it was proposed we be effectively scrapped by the IRFU in 2003
    It is in stark contrast to how Welsh Regions reacted to Celtic Warriors- Cardiff Blues particularly supported letting CW fold as they thought the Ponty and Bridgend fans would support them instead..

very different analogy. connacht was always a development squad and players were always poached and that was how it was. the example you give is not comparable. the teams you describe were simply destroying each other and going nowhere. it is much like the loss of the borders team in scotland. there simply wasnt enough money to support a 3rd scottish team. its called consolidation. the difference with connacht is that we were simply a training ground for up and coming kids. not to be taken seriously but necessary. we were never competition, we were just a feeder to the other provinces.

and while today things may have changed somewhat, that is how we were perceived and used. so i do not agree we 'owe' the other provinces anything for their 'support'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

very different analogy. connacht was always a development squad and players were always poached and that was how it was. the example you give is not comparable. the teams you describe were simply destroying each other and going nowhere. it is much like the loss of the borders team in scotland. there simply wasnt enough money to support a 3rd scottish team. its called consolidation. the difference with connacht is that we were simply a training ground for up and coming kids. not to be taken seriously but necessary. we were never competition, we were just a feeder to the other provinces.

and while today things may have changed somewhat, that is how we were perceived and used. so i do not agree we 'owe' the other provinces anything for their 'support'
    Which players were poached? i.e. taken illegally. I don't recall any of them pitching up at Ravenhill for example. Connacht was never a feeder for Ulster, nor I suspect Munster or Leinster despite your hysteria on the subject. Connacht simply did not have the players as a rule to make success a realistic prospect.

Healy and Roux training with Ireland today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Who specifically was "stripped"? I'm struggling to think of any players who went to another province around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

how many players from other provinces are at connacht now?

Roux, White, Cooney, Marshall, Carr, JHW all ex Leinster

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Healy and Roux training with Ireland today

Good for both. Acquire experience and quality training, without being forced to sit out of the Leinster game

neelia11 wrote: »
    how many players from other provinces are at connacht now?

Carr and JHW weren't required anymore in Dublin, and Connacht did everything in their developpement.

Roux and Cooney chose Connacht, not for money but gametime to fulfil their developpement.

White was going to struggle with Ross and Moore, made the logical choice too

None of the players you quote left Leinster being first or even 2nd choice AT THE MOMENT THEY LEFT (as were Cronin, McCarthy, Carr, Henshaw the other way). They now would have been, but it's because Connacht made them better too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

neelia11 wrote:

Worth mentioning jhw left leinster for bristol and connacht then signed him after a year there

Amazing that Muldowney was never called up. He's hitting the end of his career but he arguably the best iq lock all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

freyners wrote: »
    Amazing that Muldowney was never called up. He's hitting the end of his career but he arguably the best iq lock all season

If he's going to be in France in a couple of months there's not much point really is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

typhoony wrote: »

Is that not George?

If he's going to be in France in a couple of months there's not much point really is there?

True and if that was known at the time of the call up fair enough, still would of the opinion that he should be called up given his form but if Joe decided he wasnt going to invest time in someone about to leave the system i can understand it

freyners wrote: »
    True and if that was known at the time of the call up fair enough, still would of the opinion that he should be called up given his form but if Joe decided he wasnt going to invest time in someone about to leave the system i can understand it

And don't forget he's gonna be 33, Roux is barely 26. The latter can potentially play RWC 2019, Muldowney won't in any case. No point to play Aly, even at his best, on a Scotland game with nothing at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I think Leinster's chances have actually increased in the last 24 hours.

Only five players start for Ireland tomorrow so we should have most of the international contingent back, plus Dave Kearney is fit again.

Connacht will still be (narrow) favourites though.

Perfect I hope Leinster can field as strong a side as possible :)
    Ye should be able have Madigan, Reddan, Cronin, Strauss, Healy, Ruddock, VdF, McFadden all available- maybe even Rob Kearney
    Should be a belter, I'm looking forward to Glasgow game tonight

Ye should be able have Madigan, Reddan, Cronin, Strauss, Healy, Ruddock, VdF, McFadden all available- maybe even Rob Kearney

Yeah, win or lose I hope Leinster can field a string team to get a good guage of where we are at.

Hopefully we should be able to have at the least Dillane, Bealham and Marmion available for us

Saturday week just got even more interestingg. A win would sent us minimum one match clear

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Leinster's main attacking threat this week was George Clancy.

• Advertisement

was left wondering if we wanted leinster or glasgow to win. leinster will be top 4 without a doubt. now we have glasgow looming. leinster are such a hard team to break down. whaterever happens in the sportsground it wont be pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

munster losing this evening is good for us, with Glasgow winning this evening it makes the race for top 5 now between the scots and the 4 teams currently in the top 4 positions, i think Glasgow will make top 4 and into semi-finals and I just think Scarlets will lose out as they are not playing as good as they were couple months ago and have 1 too many tough games coming up, so that's my top 4 - glasgow, connacht, leinster and ulster

It seems like we have been top of the league for ages.

Leinster construed to lose the game tonight. May they do likewise in the sportsground. they were all over glasgow and lost. and still ringrose is the best 13 in the country. what a talent. but not for Mr Joe

Leinster construed to lose the game tonight. May they do likewise in the sportsground. they were all over glasgow and lost. and still ringrose is the best 13 in the country. what a talent. but not for Mr Joe

Joe has Payne, McCloskey, Olding, Arnold, Cave, Henshaw, Fitzgerald, Aki and now Ringrose pushing for the BOD shirt. If there is one spot it's hard to blame him for indecision, that's n°13.

connachta wrote: »
    Joe has Payne, McCloskey, Olding, Arnold, Cave, Henshaw, Fitzgerald, Aki and now Ringrose pushing for the BOD shirt. If there is one spot it's hard to blame him for indecision, that's n°13.
    Disagree on this one Connachta. more I watch ringrose, he simply is shockingly good. But we will maintain our dreariness at international level. I maintain McCloskey and ringrose. A joy to watch. Rather than the ****e we are forced to watch. We must have Payne and henshaw who are the most negative centres I have witnessed full stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Disagree on this one Connachta. more I watch ringrose, he simply is shockingly good. But we will maintain our dreariness at international level. I maintain McCloskey and ringrose. A joy to watch. Rather than the ****e we are forced to watch. We must have Payne and henshaw who are the most negative centres I have witnessed full stop
    Jamie Roberts and Jonathan Davies?
    Billy 36 and Luther Burrell?
    etc.

Anyway Ringrose/Henshaw will play together every minutes + Schimdt has his Leinster coaching origin, they'll gonna be favorite for 2019... But I do hope he will have a look at a McCloskey/Aki pairing, starting November tests 2017....

I see Pat Lam and Tim Alnutt on RTE pictured arriving into Lansdowne. Hardly up on the Go Bus for a jolly and a couple of pints? Let's commence rampant speculation.

Robbo wrote: »
    I see Pat Lam and Tim Alnutt on RTE pictured arriving into Lansdowne. Hardly up on the Go Bus for a jolly and a couple of pints? Let's commence rampant speculation.
    Rumour has it that Tim Alnutt is to be signed as Director of Rugby for Munster next season. Rumour also has it that Joe will not be around for South Africa, that Pat will be taking over and that Robbie is moving back to Connacht as Brian O'Driscoll, while saying lots of positive things about Robbie, would be unavailable to go on summer holidays with Robbie. Thats just what I heard

Nigel Owens will be reffing the Leinster game.

best news you could expect. Best ref for the Two best team in the league :D

Was just thinking about this weeks game, and it could be one of the biggest games in the clubs history.

If we win we go a minimum of 4 points clear and 11 - 12 points clear of 5th place, which would almost certainly guarantee our 1st ever Champions cup qualification and most likely a top 4 finish as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just thought you'd all love to know,

my sister is marrying a lad from Connacht, so they're thinking of naming the tables after players Leinster have stolen who have played for both teams. Any suggestions I'll happily pass on.

(I think there is a chance Fionn Carr gets to be the top table because he's bounced around so much)

Quin Roux, Nathan White and John Cooney would be current Connacht players who've travelled West
    Eoin Reddan, Mike McCarthy, Mick Kearney, Jamie Hagan, Bernard Jackman and Sean Cronin would be a few off the top of my head who've travelled East

Also depending on when the Wedding is you might be able to get a Henshaw table in, but with all the drink going round at a wedding that might not be a good idea :)

errlloyd wrote: »

my sister is marrying a lad from Connacht, so they're thinking of naming the tables after players Leinster have stolen who have played for both teams. Any suggestions I'll happily pass on.

(I think there is a chance Fionn Carr gets to be the top table because he's bounced around so much)

Connacht -> Leinster
    Cronin
    Kearney
    Carr
    McCarthy
    Reddan
    Hagan
    Fanning
    Browne
    Henshaw

Leinster -> Connacht
    Kearney (very very tenuous!)
    Keatley (ish, 0 caps)
    Cooney
    Carr
    White
    Roux

errlloyd wrote: »

Does JHW count for this since he came west via Bristol

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement