Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

freyners wrote: »
    Does JHW count for this since he came west via Bristol

Yeah, I am fairly happy for anyone who has caps for both. So JHW yay, Keatley nay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Des Dillon a few years back?
    Whatever happened to him btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

Damien browne and maybe Mark McHugh??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Conor Gilsenan has caps for Connacht, did he get any for Leinster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Des Dillon a few years back?
    Whatever happened to him btw?
    Played club rugby with Blackrock. Think he retired at end of last season

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

Luke Fitz back for Leinster. I wonder what the story is with the Irish players? All out or only lads who played most of the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Luke Fitz back for Leinster. I wonder what the story is with the Irish players? All out or only lads who played most of the game...
    Usually based on Gametime. Finlay, Kieran will be available, Ultan maybe, doubtful Whitey or Robbie will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

freyners wrote: »
    Usually based on Gametime. Finlay, Kieran will be available, Ultan maybe, doubtful Whitey or Robbie will be

White should be. He only started the first two matches out of five. Ultan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Delighted that Nigel Owens has been appointed referee. This is as big an interprovincial game as there has been for quite a while. I honestly cannot call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

so only Henshaw definitley out of this weekends match, will be interesting to see if Munster abide by the rules and not pick any of the starters from last weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

typhoony wrote: »
    so only Henshaw definitley out of this weekends match, will be interesting to see if Munster abide by the rules and not pick any of the starters from last weekend

Is Henshaw definitely out? JS is quoted on the pro12 site saying we may see Henshaw against Ringrose this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

neelia11 wrote: »
    Is Henshaw definitely out? JS is quoted on the pro12 site saying we may see Henshaw against Ringrose this weekend.

Hasn't Henshaw started and besides a blood sub played all 80 minutes of every game? I can't see any way in hell of him being available.

Also, any news on Ronaldson?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Hasn't Henshaw started and besides a blood sub players all 80 minutes of every game? I can't see any way in hell of him being available.

I'd imagine we'll get a squad update tomorrow which should answer both those questions

Hasn't Henshaw started and besides a blood sub players all 80 minutes of every game? I can't see any way in hell of him being available.

I don't think he was with the rest of the squad in Mayo last week , also on twitter pic of him at home resting up his ankle. So I think it's unlikely he'll be recovered in time, should be an official update tomorrow. Apart from that I think we're in good shape apart from the long termers that we know about already. Cooney should be back in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Can anyone suggest where to get tickets for the greyhound stand for this match? Are they expecting this to sell out?

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest where to get tickets for the greyhound stand for this match? Are they expecting this to sell out?

There look to be a few Bohermore terrace tickets left. Everything else is already sold out and I would think these will sell out fairly soon too.

http://connachtrugby.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/25760/connacht-v-leinster-the-sportsground-26-March-2016

was passing by the sportsground today and they were busy adding the extra terracing. might still be tickets on sale end of week, typical irish weather looks set for a change at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mistdub

Seemingly well sourced info that AJ will go to aviva prem next season on the most recent eggchasers rugby podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

mistdub wrote: »
    Seemingly well sourced info that AJ will go to aviva prem next season on the most recent eggchasers rugby podcast

Brilliant, he deserves it

Jantjies to undergo surgery so he could be out for a while which means Marnitz should see a bit more game time with the Lions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Read a Saffer rugby mag that argued Marnitz should be in and around the squad to get a cap for SA this June. They have lots of injuries in the 10 position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

mistdub wrote: »

It was mentioned also on the Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast that an "unnamed" pro12 player would be going to Sale. They wouldn't name names but said that it was mentioned on the AmericanRugby Podcast. So joining the dots, it looks like AJ -> Sale with Stringer(If he gets another year) giving him quick ball. It would be good to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Leinster Squad update ahead of this weekend's game.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/healy-and-o-brien-will-regain-form-and-fitness-dempsey-1.2582841
    No Heally, SOB
    The Ireland players who started against Scotland – Johnny Sexton, Jack McGrath, Mike Ross, Devin Toner and Jamie Heaslip – are being rested for most of this week but could be available for Saturday’s trip to the Sportsground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

That article doesn't say Healy will be unavailable.

I'm guessing the teams are still trying to get the IRFU on side to have as many players released as possible. It may actually be easier for Leinster because they have no European involvement from here on out.

If they do get the majority of players released it'd be nice for us to get Robbie too. He's missed quite a few games through injury and with Ronaldson looking like he's out we could do with him in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

He added about Connacht international players "all back except Rob who's back Thursday". Might still have him then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Very interesting

• Advertisement

So I'd expect smth like

1) Buckley
    2) McCartney
    3) Whitey
    4) Roux
    5) Muldowney
    6) Muldoon
    7) Heenan
    8 ) McKeon
    9) Marmion
    10) McGinty
    11) Heals
    12) Aki
    13) Henshaw
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH

16) Heff
    17) Loughney
    18) Bealham
    19) Dillane (if not Browney)
    20) SOB 2.0
    21) Blade/Cooney (can't decide about that one)
    22) O'Leary (to cover 10/15)
    23) Parata (to cover centre and wing)

Guys that would be the greatest team since Toulouse away in HCup! I can't wait to be in the plane and then in the Sportsground :D

b.gud wrote: »
    Jantjies to undergo surgery so he could be out for a while which means Marnitz should see a bit more game time with the Lions

Apparently he got a 2nd opinion and is now fine to play

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Injury update, table revised.

Definitely injured:
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|ACL|Next Season
    Dave McSharry|Concussion|Next Season
    Darragh Leader|Wrist|Next Season
    Jack Carty|Spleen/Waterslide Ouch|To resume training within a couple of weeks
    Rory Parata|Kneecap|Back running
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|December 2016
    Craig Ronaldson|Ankle|A "number" of weeks
    Ciaran Gaffney|Ankle|TBD

Returning: Andrew Browne, John Cooney, Shane Delahunt

Robbo wrote: »
    Injury update, table revised.

Definitely injured:
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|ACL|Next Season
    Dave McSharry|Concussion|Next Season
    Darragh Leader|Wrist|Next Season
    Jack Carty|Spleen/Waterslide Ouch|To resume training within a couple of weeks
    Rory Parata|Kneecap|Back running
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|December 2016
    Craig Ronaldson|Ankle|A "number" of weeks
    Ciaran Gaffney|Ankle|TBD

Returning: Andrew Browne, John Cooney, Shane Delahunt

When you look at where we were earlier in the season that table is a joy to behold

b.gud wrote: »
    When you look at where we were earlier in the season that table is a joy to behold

No parata, so Robb on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

How long has Ciaran Gaffney been out for exactly? Seems like a long time with an unspecified ankle issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

connachta wrote: »
    No parata, so Robb on the bench?
    Sorry, how can robb be on the bench. Ronaldson is injured, parata is injured, henshaw is unavailable, Griffin is still injured, Mcsharry is out til the end of the season, Finn is not back. There is Robb and Aki. Nothing else

So what are you describing. Robbie, who wont be available will cover all positions. WTF.

Sorry, how can robb be on the bench. Ronaldson is injured, parata is injured, henshaw is unavailable, Griffin is still injured, Mcsharry is out til the end of the season, Finn is not back. There is Robb and Aki. Nothing else

So what are you describing. Robbie, who wont be available will cover all positions. WTF.

Henshaw may be available to us so that would be the scenario that connachta was talking about Robb being on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Still with LI

• Advertisement

Aki 12 Henshaw 13 TOH 15, I don't get what's wrong.
    And Finn is available AFAIK, contrary to what you said...

Aki 12 Henshaw 13 TOH 15, I don't get what's wrong.
    And Finn is available AFAIK, contrary to what you said...

LAM is a bit less optimistic about Henshaw playing in today's IT, article quotes him as saying he's had some tough games and taken a few heavy hits. it will be a last minute decision leaving it up to friday lunchtime to decide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

typhoony wrote: »
    LAM is a bit less optimistic about Henshaw playing in today's IT, article quotes him as saying he's had some tough games and taken a few heavy hits. it will be a last minute decision leaving it up to friday lunchtime to decide

I think given the importance of the game, the class of player Robbie is and our shortage in the centres at the moment that he absolutely has to play.

Also let's take a more ruthless look at things, he's hardly played for us this season, he's leaving at the end of it and we have what maybe 7 or 8 games left depending on how Europe and the Pro 12 goes? I'd be playing him whenever possible to be honest. Get the maximum possible value out of a world class player for the last 2 months that we have him.

And if he absolutely has to be rested soon then I'd still play him this week and give him the rest the following week for what will in all probability be a fairly fruitless trip to Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

I think given the importance of the game, the class of player Robbie is and our shortage in the centres at the moment that he absolutely has to play.

Also let's take a more ruthless look at things, he's hardly played for us this season, he's leaving at the end of it and we have what maybe 7 or 8 games left depending on how Europe and the Pro 12 goes? I'd be playing him whenever possible to be honest. Get the maximum possible value out of a world class player for the last 2 months that we have him.

And if he absolutely has to be rested soon then I'd still play him this week and give him the rest the following week for what will in all probability be a fairly fruitless trip to Belfast.
    By my count we have 10 games left. Time to buy that silverware cabinet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Honestly my opinion would be if you were looking for the max value you would be keen to rest him. He could be the difference between a QF/SF/Final and a home draw vs an away draw in the playoffs, he needs time to rest. Ulster game and Treviso games being the two I would look at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I doubt Henshaw will start to be honest, he might bench. He's after a tough 6 nations and more importantly, he's not able to train until tomorrow, Lam is fairly keen on guys training all week if they're gonna start.

• Advertisement

I can't see how he woudn't play, with our 3 main covers out (McSharry, Ronaldson, Parata).
    If it still happens it's either Robb, Finn or Api pairing with Aki. Your preference??

I can't see how he woudn't play, with our 3 main covers out (McSharry, Ronaldson, Parata).
    If it still happens it's either Robb, Finn or Api pairing with Aki. Your preference??

Robb. Haven't seen enough of Api at senior to throw him in(has he ever played for the senior side?) And Finn is just back from a long injury lay off. Robb has done well in his cameos this year.

Robb. Haven't seen enough of Api at senior to throw him in(has he ever played for the senior side?) And Finn is just back from a long injury lay off. Robb has done well in his cameos this year.

Agree but the youngest... Please Henshaw...Please Dillane... 1% of extra experience/talent may well win this game...

Eoghan Mastersons brother is in the Ireland U18 squad

https://twitter.com/EoghanMasterson/status/712749363592896512

I hope Connacht look to bring him into the sub academy on the chance that he has a tenth of the commitment and work ethic his brother has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

In serious Connacht news Nathan white is now on Twitter @njwhite33

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement