Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭brokenhooker

b.gud wrote: »
    Eoghan Mastersons brother is in the Ireland U18 squad

https://twitter.com/EoghanMasterson/status/712749363592896512

I hope Connacht look to bring him into the sub academy on the chance that he has a tenth of the commitment and work ethic his brother has

poaching more good leinster men.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

poaching more good leinster men.

Same 'Leinster man' Eoghan Masterson who was unwanted at any academy and asked Nigel Carolan for a trial?

Masterson is very much a Connacht man now and was never a Leinster academy man. If only more players around the country showed that ambition, rather than getting splinters on the bench.

http://www.the42.ie/eoghan-masterson-connacht-ospreys-2100233-May2015/

its_phil wrote: »
    Same 'Leinster man' Eoghan Masterson who was unwanted at any academy and asked Nigel Carolan for a trial?

Masterson is very much a Connacht man now and was never a Leinster academy man. If only more players around the country showed that ambition, rather than getting splinters on the bench.

I was talking about his brother and mostly in jest. But I appear to have touched a nerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

In serious Connacht news Nathan white is now on Twitter @njwhite33

The guy who does the graphics at the Irish team announcements will shoot his goo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

The guy who does the graphics at the Irish team announcements will shoot his goo!

Now he just needs to convince Johnny Sexton to join

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

<snip>

MOD: No selling tickets on forum please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I was talking about his brother and mostly in jest. But I appear to have touched a nerve.

Not really mate, but when you're seeing the same "joke"/half-joking-but-not-really-haha for the billionth time it tends to get a factual response in the hopes it'll stop if nothing else.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not really mate, but when you're seeing the same "joke"/half-joking-but-not-really-haha for the billionth time it tends to get a factual response in the hopes it'll stop if nothing else.

A factual response would be that the Masterson's are from Portlaoise, in the county Laois and are therefore Leinster men, both coming through the Leinster underage setup.

A factual response would be that the Masterson's are from Portlaoise, in the county Laois and are therefore Leinster men, both coming through being ignored by the Leinster underage setup despite their talent.

FYP

• Advertisement

FYP

Eoghan played Leinster u18 two years, Leinster u19 and Leinster u20. Captaining some of those sides. So not ignored by leinster underage setup.
    Sean has played Leinster u18 two years, captaining them this year, so again not ignored by Leinster under setup

Eoghan was just unfortunate with injury when he was up for a Leinster academy position, Connacht are lucky he chased them for a place in their academy.

But hey what are facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

Eoghan played Leinster u18 two years, Leinster u19 and Leinster u20. Captaining some of those sides. So not ignored by leinster underage setup.
    Sean has played Leinster u18 two years, captaining them this year, so again not ignored by Leinster under setup

Eoghan was just unfortunate with injury when he was up for a Leinster academy position, Connacht are lucky he chased them for a place in their academy.

But hey what are facts.

he qualfies for Scotland also, so being a mix bag he fits in well at connacht. with young lads tranferring to schools all over the country province of origin is not really that important more which academy sees them as a potential and wants them.

A factual response would be that the Masterson's are from Portlaoise, in the county Laois and are therefore Leinster men, both coming through the Leinster underage setup.

But hey what are facts.

Joke? Are you 100% sure? I detect a hint of salt from your posts.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Joke? Are you 100% sure? I detect a hint of salt from your posts.

well if you are going accuse me of not being factual..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

When is the team being announced lads? I presumed it would be today

Sorry, what? I never accused you of anything. I said that you got a factual response, this:

Connacht being the ones who are "lucky" is not factual.

No need to get so worked up mate

When is the team being announced lads? I presumed it would be today

I think for a Saturday/Sunday game the announcement is usually around lunch time Friday.

Connacht being the ones who are "lucky" is not factual.

No need to get so worked up mate

Maybe it wasn't luck that Masterson asked for a trial at Connacht, but it certainly wasn't Connacht who were chasing after Eoghan. If I remember right he had to convince them to give him the trial.

Connacht are the lucky ones, if it wasn't for Eoghan's self motivation he wouldn't have went there and Connacht wouldnt haven benefited from all the excellent work leinster did with him at underage level. After all he is a Leinster man born and bred and that won't change unless provincial boundaries are redrawn.

• Advertisement

But hey what are facts.

Was Eoghan offered a place in the Leinster academy?
    As you yourself said he was involved with the Leinster underage teams through a number of age grades, so it would appear that they ignored all his performances in those matches and training and just looked at this injury at the time and didn't offer him an academy place.

If you look at the U18s squad announcement you'll notice that Sean is listed as a Portlaoise RFC player and not affiliated with Leinster

Maybe it wasn't luck that Masterson asked for a trial at Connacht, but it certainly wasn't Connacht who were chasing after Eoghan. If I remember right he had to convince them to give him the trial.

Connacht are the lucky ones, if it wasn't for Eoghan's self motivation he wouldn't have went there and Connacht wouldnt haven benefited from all the excellent work leinster did with him at underage level. After all he is a Leinster man born and bred and that won't change unless provincial boundaries are redrawn.

Lovely logic, next season I'll point out regularly that Leinster are lucky Henshaw had a girlfriend in Dublin as they've benefited from all the excellent work Connacht did with him at underage

Was Eoghan offered a place in the Leinster academy?
    As you yourself said he was involved with the Leinster underage teams through a number of age grades, so it would appear that they ignored all his performances in those matches and training and just looked at this injury at the time and didn't offer him an academy place.

If you look at the U18s squad announcement you'll notice that Sean is listed as a Portlaoise RFC player and not affiliated with Leinster

He was Leinster u18 captain this season, to say he isn't associated with Leinster is a bit much. I'd say he will likely end up following his brother west and I wouldnt blame him, much easier in Galway than competing with all the backrows leinster are producing.

On the topic of Eoghan he was ignored by everyone, including Connacht and only forced his way in through sheer determination and hard work.

Neither were ignored by the Leinster underage setup.

Lovely logic, next season I'll point out regularly that Leinster are lucky Henshaw had a girlfriend in Dublin as they've benefited from all the excellent work Connacht did with him at underage

and all would be true, leinster are very lucky than Henshaw prefers his girlfriend to Galway. And Leinster will benefit greatly from the work Connacht did in developing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

On the topic of Eoghan he was ignored by everyone, including Connacht and only forced his way in through sheer determination and hard work.

I would imagine Masterson was equally as determined to get into Leinster. Connacht gave him an opportunity and recognised his potential so they deserve credit for that as Masterson does for his drive and determination.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I would imagine Masterson was equally as determined to get into Leinster. Connacht gave him an opportunity and recognised his potential so they deserve credit for that as Masterson does for his drive and determination.

No one has said Connacht weren't smart to give him the trial he was looking for. Leinster should have done the same, then he'd still be at Leinster, his home province.

• Advertisement

Connacht wouldnt haven benefited from all the excellent work leinster did with him at underage level.

Do people really still think the underage teams in any province are on a par with academy development?

Academies and clubs make players into pros not the Leinster u18/19. They're simply shop windows to impress.

It is not even comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Alrighty then,
    Fight about weather. ...CHECK
    Fight about Leinster stealing players ...CHECK
    Fight about Henshaw ....CHECK
    Fight about Mascots ....CHECK (kind off)

I believe next topics on the Agenda are

A.) Sure Athlone is in Leinster anyway......
    B.) The only reason Connacht are top of the league is the impact of the world cup
    C.) Some reference (disparaging) to Leinster being a D4 club, quickly followed by references to the Tullow Tank...
    Then, time permitting
    D.) Sure Connacht team is full of foreigners, and only Connacht are allowed to do that..

Do people really still think the underage teams in any province are on a par with academy development?

Academies and clubs make players into pros not the Leinster u18/19. They're simply shop windows to impress.

so spending two years with Leinster u18 including weekly training sessions during the season aswell as two summers of work with Leinster u18, then two years in leinsters sub academy along with with summer work for Leinster u19 and u20 were not a huge influence on Masterson's development as a player?

4 years of development with various levels of the Leinster underage setup, between the ages of 16 and 20 were not massively important in developing him as player?

Also how long was he even in the Connacht academy, 6 months, a year?

No one has said Connacht weren't smart to give him the trial he was looking for. Leinster should have done the same, then he'd still be at Leinster, his home province.

Well you said he was ignored by all including Connacht which wasn't the case. He may not have been actively recruited but when he showed up looking for an opportunity he was given one and rewarded for his displays in the form of a place in the academy. Certainly not ignored.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Well you said he was ignored by all including Connacht which wasn't the case. He may not have been actively recruited but when he showed up looking for an opportunity he was given one and rewarded for his displays in the form of a place in the academy. Certainly not ignored.

He was ignored until he approached them. This is undeniable.

Anyway 4pm calls, i'm off for a long weekend. Might see you all in the sportsground on saturday.

• Advertisement

He was ignored until he approached them. This is undeniable.

At which point he wasn't ignored. Given how determined he was I imagine he approached other provinces. It's ridiculous to claim he was equally ignored by all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm not really sure that's all together true.

Guys put in a huge amount of commitment and work at underage level, often involved in the sub academies.

And there are often instances where guys pretty much leapfrog past the academy and go straight into the professional set up. Which clearly they wouldn't be able to do if the academies were such a massive step up from the under age and sub academy systems.

Hagz wrote: »

Guys put in a huge amount of commitment and work at underage level, often involved in the sub academies.

And there are often instances where guys pretty much leapfrog past the academy and go straight into the professional set up. Which clearly they wouldn't be able to do if the academies were such a massive step up from the under age and sub academy systems.

All of what you said is true, but the sub-academy and academy are different level to underage and I've seen it first hand with players who went straight from school to academy.

I'm aware the underage a lot of work goes in, but at the end of the day the jump from school to pros is significant. I know the lads aren't showing up at interpros for a kickabout.

so spending two years with Leinster u18 including weekly training sessions during the season aswell as two summers of work with Leinster u18, then two years in leinsters sub academy along with with summer work for Leinster u19 and u20 were not a huge influence on Masterson's development as a player?

4 years of development with various levels of the Leinster underage setup, between the ages of 16 and 20 were not massively important in developing him as player?

Also how long was he even in the Connacht academy, 6 months, a year?

Just not bothering any more. Enjoy thinking he's a product of Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Just not bothering any more. Enjoy thinking he's a product of Leinster.

In all honesty Eoghan Masterson is a product of Eoghan Masterson. To have that drive to get through everything he's been through is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

In all honesty Eoghan Masterson is a product of Eoghan Masterson. To have that drive to get through everything he's been through is brilliant

What has he been through?

What has he been through?

Missed out on the JWC with Ireland and Leinster academy through injury. Rather than say oh well he went the the JWC with Scotland, qualifies through his father, and forced himself into the Connacht set up by nagging Nigel Carolan to give him a trial game.

Alrighty then,

B.) The only reason Connacht are top of the leave is the impact of the world cup
    C.) Some reference (disparaging) to Leinster being a D4 club, quickly followed by references to the Tullow Tank...
    Then, time permitting
    D.) Sure Connacht team is full of foreigners, and only Connacht are allowed to do that..

Don't forget the inevitable X played well in this match so Y should never ever play for Ireland as X is the messiah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Listened to the galway bay show from 6 to 7 tonight with Rob and Linley and the crew. Thought the Thornley interview was the best where he hoped Connacht would take a Top 6 position? Gerry, work it out. We are top of the league. Yes there was a world cup and yes there was a 6n but we beat what was put in front of us. Thought Linley's viewpoint on the Leinster game was bang on. If we lose it wouldn't be a disaster, we just move onto the next game. There are 3 possible outcomes and all are to play for. Think AJ has really stood up to the mark when given the chance. I expect his confidence is at an all time high so I expect his kicking to follow the same trajectory. I will be sad to lose him at the end of this season but I expect great things from him for the rest of our season and in the EPL next season. I think we may regret letting him go but that is neither here nor now. So roll on Leinster. We will do our best and our best isnt half bad. Expect a cracker. Every ticket sold. Would suspect if we had moved the game to Pearse stadium (as the Leinster Munster game is in the Aviva) this would have been packed to the rafters. Something to think about if Connacht maintain their rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Alrighty then,

B.) The only reason Connacht are top of the league is the impact of the world cup
    Then, time permitting
    You forgot about Connacht stealing Leinster players. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

You forgot about Connacht stealing Leinster players.

Oh thanks Dibbler, need to add one more to the list...
    E.) Ref bias against Connacht Versus Connacht chips on shoulder conspiracy theorists....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wp_rathead wrote: »

"Do you get a lot of respect as captain?"

".... I get a lot of abuse..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

You forgot about Connacht stealing Leinster players. :pac:

And george clancy gives leinster tries for no reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

neelia11 wrote: »
    Clancy is an awful ref no matter what province you come from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

neelia11 wrote: »
    George Clancy giveth and he taketh away. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Only half the story there , the mastersons may live in portlaoise , but his mother is from Westport and his Father has Family in Westport , his father also played rugby for Westport . So when you look at it that way he has strong links to mayo and connacht ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

mayo_lad wrote: »
    Only half the story there , the mastersons may live in portlaoise , but his mother is from Westport and his Father has Family in Westport , his father also played rugby for Westport . So when you look at it that way he has strong links to mayo and connacht ,

Yeah but the Mastersons buy their gas for the heating from a leinster season ticket holder so I think really there's very little doubt as to where he's really from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Yeah but the Mastersons buy their gas for the heating from a leinster season ticket holder so I think really there's very little doubt as to where he's really from.

But the guy they get in to do their plumbing is from Thurles and his uncle lives next door to Anthony Foley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

BrokenMan wrote: »
    But the guy they get in to do their plumbing is from Thurles and his uncle lives next door to Anthony Foley.

He's a hurling man iirc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement