Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Is this the same Bealham that Joe was wrong to call up to Ireland? Does this mean JS maybe knows more than you thought?
    FYP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

FYP :D

you missed a bit ......
    Is this the same Bealham that Joe was wrong to call up to Ireland? Does this means JS maybe knows more than you thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Outhalf crisis lads:
    AJ out for 4 Weeks
    Ronaldson out for 3 Weeks

Shane O'Leary and Conor McKeon step up lads :)

Also White RTP protocols and Jake under observation- will be out for Ulster can assume

Good news is Dillane is fit

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Outhalf crisis lads:
    AJ out for 4 Weeks

Also White RTP protocols and Jake under observation- will be out for Ulster can assume

How long is carthy out for again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Stan27 wrote: »

I think the injury release said something vague like "up to 3 months". Did someone mention the other day that he was back doing modified training? I'd say he's still at the very least 2-3 weeks out anyway and in all honesty I wasn't really expecting him back until next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭typhoony

first name on the team sheet for next week should be Rodney, he'll waant to impress for his new team, I'm not saying we should totally give up on the game but I'd like to see a good few changes, rest a couple of our key players, the players that should be given gametime are poolman, o'leary, dillane, loughs, robb, blade, connolly, henshaw, heffernan. that should have us in good shape for the battles to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

typhoony wrote: »
    first name on the team sheet for next week should be Rodney, he'll waant to impress for his new team, I'm not saying we should totally give up on the game but I'd like to see a good few changes, rest a couple of our key players, the players that should be given gametime are poolman, o'leary, dillane, loughs, robb, blade, connolly, henshaw, heffernan. that should have us in good shape for the battles to come.

To start? I don't see any reason to start Rodney ahead of Bealham at this stage to be honest. Bealham has completely surpassed him and I don't think he's been playing so much that he needs a rest or anything. We should be targetting every game from now on to try to secure a home semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    To start? I don't see any reason to start Rodney ahead of Bealham at this stage to be honest. Bealham has completely surpassed him and I don't think he's been playing so much that he needs a rest or anything. We should be targetting every game from now on to try to secure a home semi.

If I was a Connacht fan I'd see the Ulster game as a chance to get another 4 points against an injury ravaged and rudderless side who have been driven to ineptitude by horrendously bad and entirely pointless signings and coaching that has feck all to do with modern rugby. Send the best possible side to Ravenhill.

FWIW I was at Ravenhill the last time Connacht won there as an 11 year old Methody boy. It was the first time I ever heard my father use the 'F' word.

Doubt there will be sweeping changes but I've a feeling we'll see John Cooney, Ultan Dillane and Danie Poolman all involved in the 23. Possibily Shane Delahunt aswell. Bealham will start but not sure if be Rodney or O'Donnell on the bench to cover TH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Doubt there will be sweeping changes but I've a feeling we'll see John Cooney, Ultan Dillane and Danie Poolman all involved in the 23. Possibily Shane Delahunt aswell. Bealham will start but not sure if be Rodney or O'Donnell on the bench to cover TH.

If O Donnell is on the bench ahead of Rodney that is some fall from grace, I know Pat wants committed players but yikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jacothelad wrote: »
    If I was a Connacht fan I'd see the Ulster game as a chance to get another 4 points against an injury ravaged and rudderless side who have been driven to ineptitude by horrendously bad and entirely pointless signings and coaching that has feck all to do with modern rugby. Send the best possible side to Ravenhill.

Who are Ulster likely to be missing through injury? Bowe, Tuohy and...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Is this the same Bealham that Joe was wrong to call up to Ireland? Does this mean JS maybe knows more than you thought?
    Correct and true. Bealham was sensational. I was completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Outhalf crisis lads:
    AJ out for 4 Weeks

Any time I have watched Shane O'Leary he has impressed me. His goal kicking is not shoddy. His physical abrasiveness is good. His distribution is good. That said if we lose another 10 we could be in a bit of bother

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Watching the last couple of minutes of the match was incredible. When Connacht were in possession in their own 22, they still trusted their strategy and went through the phases. And it wasn't all pick and drives either. I thought they might have paid for it, but they held on in the end. As a Leinster fan, I was disappointed, but if there is one team I wouldn't begrudge a win over us this season, it's Connacht. See you in Murrayfield in May!!

Correct and true. Bealham was sensational. I was completely wrong.
    And Joe was?... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

And Joe was?... :p

Go joe go bish bash bosh leinster international team joe go time to go joe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭typhoony

O'leary has been a bit unlucky not to get a few more starts, nothing do with him i just think the various combinations we've had available meant he even missed out even getting on the bench, I've seen him in a few of the eagles games and even though he hasnt controlled games behind a less dominant pack he's has been able to attack the gainline and carries the ball well. his passing isnt great which probably is why Lam has overlooked him, I didnt know Porter could play out-half, i'd have mckeoin on the bench ahead of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Given our current form and the success within connacht the buzz etc

What's the pros and cons of pease stadium for a home semi final?

Stan27 wrote: »

"Jack has an appointment with the surgeon in two weeks which will hopefully give him the clearance to start contact work," said Lam. "He has started training, he has put his weight back on and he has about 90pc of his strength too, and that was last week so it has probably improved a lot more."

2 weeks is just before Munster, probably be too soon but hopefully he would be okay for potential home semi final against Quins or London Irish

gally74 wrote: »

Cons:
    We loose our fortress (The noise from Clan Stand and Main Stand is electric)
    Access to Pearse Stadium is horrendous

Pros:
    Can potentially sell more tickets (but no way could we fill out the 25,000 seat so stadium would still seem half empty)

Not worth imo

• Advertisement

Con: the GAA rules expressly prohibit it. Absolutely a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

typhoony wrote: »
    O'leary has been a bit unlucky not to get a few more starts, nothing do with him i just think the various combinations we've had available meant he even missed out even getting on the bench, I've seen him in a few of the eagles games and even though he hasnt controlled games behind a less dominant pack he's has been able to attack the gainline and carries the ball well. his passing isnt great which probably is why Lam has overlooked him, I didnt know Porter could play out-half, i'd have mckeoin on the bench ahead of him
    SOL has been 24th man on quite a few occasions this season and last. His experience of playing all over backline at all grades helps him a lot. His passing isn't as good as other elements of game but excellent cover option..

Losing sportsground atmosphere etc. Would Connacht get crowd to need Pearse stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

SOL has been 24th man on quite a few occasions this season and last. His experience of playing all over backline at all grades helps him a lot. His passing isn't as good as other elements of game but excellent cover option..

Losing sportsground atmosphere etc. Would Connacht get crowd to need Pearse stadium?

Look I'm a seasoned ticket holder on the clan side, I was more looking to get a debate going,

The facilities for kids etc is v poor, it's possible Munster and Glasgow will sell out like Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Con: the GAA rules expressly prohibit it. Absolutely a non runner.

They are more than happy to waive it when the money suits. They bid for the college football game. Does that not come under 42 as well?

Would Parata be an option at 10? he is back training now afaik
    I'd start SO'L but I'm bit worried about McKeon (admittedly that is only because I haven't seen much of him)

freyners wrote: »
    They are more than happy to waive it when the money suits. They bid for the college football game. Does that not come under 42 as well?

Croke Park is exempt, Central Council can allow other games to be played there as they see fit. Any bid for the rugby world cup can include GAA grounds.

Otherwise, no GAA pitch can be used for rugby.

Croke Park is exempt, Central Council can allow other games to be played there as they see fit. Any bid for the rugby world cup can include GAA grounds.

Otherwise, no GAA pitch can be used for rugby.
    I thought the last congress changed that so central council could allow any ground be used on request.

Who are Ulster likely to be missing through injury? Bowe, Tuohy and...?
    Bowe. Tuohy. Alan O'Connor. Nick Williams. Peter Nelson. Wian Herbst. Alan Warwick. Louis Ludik.

I'd start SO'L but I'm bit worried about McKeon (admittedly that is only because I haven't seen much of him)

McKeown was 100% from the boot last season in the pro 12

McKeown was 100% from the boot last season in the pro 12

he'd one conversion :D

• Advertisement

100% is 100% ;):D

I love that stat though. Proves that stats don't really give the full picture.

100% is 100% ;):D

I live that stat though. Proves that stays don't really give the full picture.
    Your typos are scrambling my brain :D

Your typos are scrambling my brain :D

Typos what typos.......

Looks around sheepishly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

2 actually, so now we can consider him as twice as accurate of a kicker :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Don't think Parata has played 10 in quite a while. Has been centre in all appearances with Connacht etc

Don't think Parata has played 10 in quite a while. Has been centre in all appearances with Connacht etc

Ya that's what I was thinking - just seeing if he was an option seen as we down to our only 2

jacothelad wrote: »
    Bowe. Tuohy. Alan O'Connor. Nick Williams. Peter Nelson. Wian Herbst. Alan Warwick. Louis Ludik.

Virus (respiratory system) has swept through the squad again. Yesterday it was just Andy Warwick and Mark Best ????? suffering but five more players (don't know who as yet. Hopefully paul Marshall:D) reported in this morning who are being affected by it. A number of players on the squad have been affected by this respiratory virus and a decision on their fitness to play will be determined later in the week.
    Willie Faloon and Sam Arnold are also unavailable.
    Ruaidhri Murphy ( who? you ask) continues to recover from a finger injury and is unfit for selection this week.

Sammy Arnold re-aggravated a hamstring tear during training last week. His return to play is estimated at 4-6 weeks.

Wiehahn Herbst continues to rehab his toe injury. He is likely to return to play in 4-6 weeks.

Unavailable for the remainder of the 2015/16 season

Peter Nelson continues to rehabilitate from an ankle injury sustained against Edinburgh at Kingspan Stadium. His return to play status remains as the 2016/17 season.

Dan Tuohy had surgery two weeks ago for his ongoing ankle injury. He is recovering well post-surgery.

Willie Faloon had surgery two weeks ago for a chronic mid-foot injury and will not play again this season.

Things looking pretty desperate at Ravenspan. The horrible thought is that Ulster will have to play guys who have never set foot on the pitch before......they are called our 'Weakness in depth players.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ruaidhri Murphy confirming what everyone on the planet knew already.

Buer wrote: »
    Ruaidhri Murphy confirming what everyone on the planet knew already.
    Yes, he can't even get his finger in.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He was a reasonably high profile signing wasn't he? It's been a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He was definitely expected to compete at loosehead.

Unfortunately they forgot that the powderpuff standard of forward-play in Super Rugby only roughly equates to Ulster Ravens level in Ireland. (not sure if swiwi or yeah_right read this thread, taking a a gamble)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't know about reasonably high profile but he was a spot in the squad and a salary that one would assume is probably in line with a squad player given he had raised his profile in Australia.

The problem is that we all knew he'd be a flop. His career to date indicates nothing else, really, after how he struggled to establish himself with several teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I think it's an example of how high an esteem we place SH rugby in and very often it's misplaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭brokenhooker

shuffol wrote: »
    I think it's an example of how high an esteem we place SH rugby in and very often it's misplaced.

bollix, he was a converted hooker for a poor australian team in SH rugby.. for some reason Ulster signed him when anyone with any knowledge knew he was ****e.

SH club rugby is so far ahead of NH club rugby its depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

bollix, he was a converted hooker for a poor australian team in SH rugby.. for some reason Ulster signed him when anyone with any knowledge knew he was ****e.

SH club rugby is so far ahead of NH club rugby its depressing.

It is in skills levels but not all aspects.

Murphy was a non-entity at any of his previous clubs but a few seasons of super rugby was enough to convince some people he was better than he really was.

• Advertisement

shuffol wrote: »
    It is in skills levels but not all aspects.

Murphy was a non-entity at any of his previous clubs but a few seasons of super rugby was enough to convince some people he was better than he really was.

those people dont watch rugby, he was a piss poor player and always was.

ulster were signing anyone with a pulse who was IQ'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ulster were signing anyone with a pulse who was IQ'd.

I'd imagine the people who signed Ruaridh Murphy with the intention of him competing for a starting place at Ulster watch a little bit of rugby

I'd imagine the people who signed Ruaridh Murphy with the intention of him competing for a starting place at Ulster watch a little bit of rugby

not enough of him anyway, plenty of teams make poor signings.. for some reason they thought he could be a competent player they were wrong.

Ulster were signing anyone with a pulse who was IQ'd.

Hence we ended up with guys like Ruaidhri Murphy (3 games in 2 seasons) This season Clive Ross (3), Sean Reidy (4), Sam Windsor (1), Ian Humphreys (5), Peter Browne (9), Willie Faloon (4), Conor Joyce (4), Johnny Murphy (1), Paul Rowley (no games), Frankie Taggart (no games), in our first team roster. Some of them - despite many injuries to other players - have never pulled on the shirt. Others unfortunately have done so. There are far better local players in the AIL than most of these guys. That's 11 guys who simply are not of the required standard. Some were once - iHumph and Faloon but as for the rest......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Are ye lads lost? ☺

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement