Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Are ye lads lost? ☺

Discussing players who aren't good enough for the big provinces? Yep, that's the Connacht thread.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭brokenhooker

jacothelad wrote: »
    Hence we ended up with guys like Ruaidhri Murphy (3 games in 2 seasons) This season Clive Ross (3), Sean Reidy (4), Sam Windsor (1), Ian Humphreys (5), Peter Browne (9), Willie Faloon (4), Conor Joyce (4), Johnny Murphy (1), Paul Rowley (no games), Frankie Taggart (no games), in our first team roster. Some of them - despite many injuries to other players - have never pulled on the shirt. Others unfortunately have done so. There are far better local players in the AIL than most of these guys. That's 11 guys who simply are not of the required standard. Some were once - iHumph and Faloon but as for the rest......

Not sure what motivation Ulster have in ignoring "better players in the AIL"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Discussing players who aren't good enough for the big provinces? Yep, that's the Connacht thread.

post-8255-OH-HELL-TO-THE-NO-gifs-veiL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

We're trying to keep discussions on who can improve a league topping side round here 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Not sure what motivation Ulster have in ignoring "better players in the AIL"
    I don't think there would be any motivation, rather a lack of intelligence. I'd be more worried about Ulster's actual motivation in signing the guys they did. Connacht wouldn't use them to clean boots. Guys who weren't good enough to start for London Welsh signed for Ulster. Agents doing well I'd assume. It's ridiculous and bad for Irish rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Connacht should pick up Andy Goode till the end of the season. The man is a hero, and having had stellar careers in all of the AP, T14 (and a particularly strong showing) in Super Rugby, I think he needs a pro12 medal before retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Connacht should pick up Andy Goode till the end of the season. The man is a hero, and having had stellar careers in all of the AP, T14 (and a particularly strong showing) in Super Rugby, I think he needs a pro12 medal before retirement.

I think he's gone off to live on a beach and get fat(ter) and then he'll be getting married. Not he and the fiancee would be tempted to spend the time in Galway I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I think he's gone off to live on a beach and get fat(ter) and then he'll be getting married. Not he and the fiancee would be tempted to spend the time in Galway I'm afraid.

They could probably tempt him with a year's supply of supermacs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Haha, to be honest I'd take your arm off for Andy Goode to help finish out the season. The next month is gonna be touch and go at out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

You gotta love Murray

Anyone who doubts the quality of Tiernan should watch that pass to Niyi, gets it low on his left, in two steps has it across his body and accurately to niyi ten plus metres away with no time to prep the pass.

if a more rated player had thrown it would have got a lot more comment here. He still has things he can improve, but he deserves a trip to SA based on this season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

freyners wrote: »
    Anyone who doubts the quality of Tiernan should watch that pass to Niyi, gets it low on his left, in two steps has it across his body and accurately to niyi ten plus metres away with no time to prep the pass.

if a more rated player had thrown it would have got a lot more comment here. He still has things he can improve, but he deserves a trip to SA based on this season

Also broke the lien on that Aki scrum play and made lovely offload to McGinty from McGrath box kick

Did nothing spectacular and average Pro12 fullback are two comments that spring to mind from the match thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

freyners wrote: »

He managed to execute a catch-n-pass in one movement while running at pace? Spectacular. Can't remember when I last saw that :P

Random question, is Henshaw very religious? Saw footage and pics of him and Aki saying prayers after the game. It's fairly common to see in NZ, especially amongst Maori and PI players. A lot of Mormons and Evangelicals amongst them. I only ask because in I hadn't seen it from Irish players before.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    He managed to execute a catch-n-pass in one movement while running at pace? Spectacular. Can't remember when I last saw that :P

Random question, is Henshaw very religious? Saw footage and pics of him and Aki saying prayers after the game. It's fairly common to see in NZ, especially amongst Maori and PI players. A lot of Mormons and Evangelicals amongst them. I only ask because in I hadn't seen it from Irish players before.

Aki is very religious, he usually asks somebody to pray with him after the whistle.

To be fair, that catch and pass was pretty spectacular. Murray Kinsella described it as "sublime".

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Yeah they're rare enough in Irish rugby alright, particularly from 15s out east :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Bazzo wrote: »
    Aki is very religious, he usually asks somebody to pray with him after the whistle.

To be fair, that catch and pass was pretty spectacular. Murray Kinsella described it as "sublime".

Yeah I knew Aki was religious. All his after match speeches point to that. And him and Nick Williams praying together. I was just surprised to see Henshaw doing it.

Murray obviously doesn't watch much SH rugby :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Hope religion solves injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

AJ to Sale now reported on the BBC website with comments from the Sale coach attributed to Pat Lam saying that Connacht couldn't keep McGinty because of NIQ rules relating to the Boshoff signing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35929820

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭phog

Could have missed this here but saw on Twitter this morning that McGinty has been signed by Sale.

Edit, CK just posted same with link.

Fair play to McGinty, showed his worth at RWC, came to Connacht and kicked on even further.

The USA link was a blessing and a curse though, as it meant he was 'seen' as a player through the caps, but he's not eligible to continue at Connacht given it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Shame to see him go as I've been impressed with him. Wish him well.
    It's a strange situation and probably not one that was ever envisaged when the rules on NIQ players were brought in. An Irish born player being considered as NIQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Shame to see him go as I've been impressed with him. Wish him well.
    It's a strange situation and probably not one that was ever envisaged when the rules on NIQ players were brought in. An Irish born player being considered as NIQ.

Someone mentioned it earlier and it is probably true that the rules could be challenged under EU law as a restriction on free movement of people. Cant see anyone involved taking a case mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

errlloyd wrote: »

He'd be a cracking signing if we could manage it given our injury crisis at number 10. He's a points machine with the boot and a very skilful player too. He played his last game with the Falcons last week so he'd be match fit anyway.

Offer him 20 grand to come in for the rest of the season and then let him sail off into the sunset. I couldn't imagine this being on the cards but it would actually make a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

He'd be a cracking signing if we could manage it given our injury crisis at number 10. He's a points machine with the boot and a very skilful player too. He played his last game with the Falcons last week so he'd be match fit anyway.

Offer him 20 grand to come in for the rest of the season and then let him sail off into the sunset. I couldn't imagine this being on the cards but it would actually make a lot of sense.

Are we talking the same Andy Goode here? Didn't he retire last week? On another point the guy hasn't been match fit in years. Signing him would only be an insult to the guys who stay fit and earn their crust.

I'll just leave this here.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Andy Goode?? Lol

Isn't this the same Andy Goode who is 1. Retired & 2. Not very fit.

You forgot about 3. Came out of retirement to play for Newcastle and helped guide them to wins over Leicester and Northampton giving them a fighting chance of staying in the premiership

If you actually read back the posts about Goode you'll see that no one is suggesting we sign him up for 3 years merely just get him on a short term deal while we get our outhalves back to fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

b.gud wrote: »
    You forgot about 3. Came out of retirement to play for Newcastle and helped guide them to wins over Leicester and Northampton giving them a fighting chance of staying in the premiership

If you actually read back the posts about Goode you'll see that no one is suggesting we sign him up for 3 years merely just get him on a short term deal while we get our outhalves back to fitness

No, I actually read the previous posts, however Connacht aren't in dire straits or survival mode like Newcastle were. I just think its an insult to the guys involved in the setup from a fitness perspective. He wouldn't be a name that would jump to mind especially given where Connacht are at right now and I don't think Connacht would consider him either.

I think it's safe to say Andy Goode is a better outhalf than Blade though...

That's the point, Connacht are now in trouble at 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

Boshoff better be very good. McGinty was playing very well before getting injured and I feel that it is a bit of a gamble to let him go and replace with a player that has played very little rugby in the last year or two.

• Advertisement

Hope religion solves injuries
    It hasn't helped Ulster.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

15 Robbie Henshaw
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Bundee Aki
    12 Peter Robb
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Shane O’Leary
    9 John Cooney

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Rodney Ah You
    4 Andrew Browne
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 John Muldoon (captain)
    7 James Connolly
    8 Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 Finlay Bealham
    19 Ultan Dillane
    20 Sean O’Brien
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Cormac Brennan
    23 Danie Poolman

Injured/Unavailable: Nathan White, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson, Jake Heenan, Kieran Marmion, Jack Carty, Craig Ronaldson, AJ MacGinty, Dave McSharry, Rory Parata, Darragh Leader, Ciaran Gaffney, Tiernan O’Halloran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Team named. Both TO'H and Marmion picked up quad injuries this week, the latter's only minor apparently. Shane O'Leary was sick at the start of the week too but has recovered or is starting anyway! No Conor McKeon on the bench, Cormac Brennan involved in squad for the first time? Thought he was mainly a centre/wing?

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-team-to-face-ulster-5/

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Are we talking the same Andy Goode here? Didn't he retire last week? On another point the guy hasn't been match fit in years. Signing him would only be an insult to the guys who stay fit and earn their crust.

I'll just leave this here.

I'm aware that he's a bit fat and has dreadful hair but he's actually a cracking rugby player. Very consistent goal kicker and very capable of putting those outside him into space. Clever player too.

He guided Newcastle to some vital victories in his few matches with them. When I saw him mentioned here I gave him a quick google and found an article on him in the Chronicle which is a Newcastle newspaper. Had a poll on the bottom asking if he had been a successful signing or not, 92% agreed that he had been.

As I said earlier I doubt this will happen but I think it would be a very good signing for us if it did.

Anyone know why Brennan was selected over McKeon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

15-9: J Payne, A Trimble, L Marshall, S McCloskey, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar

1-8: C Black, R Best (C), R Lutton, P Browne, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson.

16-23: R Herring, K McCall, B Ross, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Olding, D Cave.

That is some Ulster backline
    Henderson vs Muldoon could be feisty
    Robb vs McCloskey going to be meaty
    Pienaar & Jackson vs Cooney & O'Leary is where Ulster have big advantage I fear

Funny how Ireland's two first choice centres are starting at Fullback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Well it is their best postion. But Joe .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

wp_rathead wrote: »
    15-9: J Payne, A Trimble, L Marshall, S McCloskey, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar

1-8: C Black, R Best (C), R Lutton, P Browne, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson.

16-23: R Herring, K McCall, B Ross, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Olding, D Cave.

That is some Ulster backline
    Henderson vs Muldoon could be feisty
    Robb vs McCloskey going to be meaty
    Pienaar & Jackson vs Cooney & O'Leary is where Ulster have big advantage I fear

Funny how Ireland's two first choice centres are starting at Fullback

What happened this plague that was running through the Ulster camp ? By some accounts I was reading they were going to struggle to get 15 never mind 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

evil_seed wrote: »
    Well it is their best postion. But Joe .....
    Doesn't have as many centres as Connacht and Ulster :pac:

That Ulster backline is better than the backline Ireland had in a couple of 6 Nations games. Our half backs have to do well

• Advertisement

O'Halloran and Marmion out? Well ****e anyway. What is it with these injury crises coming in waves?

Also surprised to see Brennan given the nod ahead of McKeon, haven't seen any of him at all to be honest, is he any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Better than McKeon........... obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shelflife wrote: »
    What happened this plague that was running through the Ulster camp ? By some accounts I was reading they were going to struggle to get 15 never mind 23.

Hook line and sinker.

They've had all these players locked in a box labeled "For Pat Lam's Eyes Only"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyone know why Brennan was selected over McKeon?

One reason is possibly he's working on the Grenoble game plan with a view to starting that game. Its something Pat has done before had certain players working on things for the following week when not involved in the current weeks squad.

Or possibly with us down to our last two out halfs Pat dosent want to risk naming both in the 23 for fear of further injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Bazzo wrote: »
    O'Halloran and Marmion out? Well ****e anyway. What is it with these injury crises coming in waves?

Also surprised to see Brennan given the nod ahead of McKeon, haven't seen any of him at all to be honest, is he any good?
    At least kieran's injury is suspected minor so he could be back for Grenoble. Indicators are tiernans is more serious so he won't be playing for a while.

While the team looks that bit weaker than normal I'm making no guess to the game outcome. There is a rumour that pat is in fact dynamo the magician in disguise.

Shelflife wrote: »

It's a respiratory virus that has affected some players quite a lot while others have shrugged it off. Pienaar had it badly and missed about 3 weeks because of it. It's been circulating for a while and has been affecting a number of players even when they have been 'fit.' My wife has been suffering from it for 4 weeks. Fortunately the incidence is diminishing.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

McGinty is leaving at th end of the season? He's only been here a few months? FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

McGinty is leaving at th end of the season? He's only been here a few months? FFS

1. he was only signed for half a season
    2. connacht signed someone else

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can anyone answer this question? At some point last year, we were in Nandos in Swords, and three large individuals who looked like Pacific Islanders came in in Connacht jerseys.

One was possibly Aki, could the other two also have been Connacht players? They were giant creatures, one was at least six foot six.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement