Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

At a guess, Rodney Ah You and George Naupou.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    At a guess, Rodney Ah You and George Naupou.

Ah Naupou was the giant creature.

Thank you, that fits well :) Need to keep the turncoats interest in the game up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Stheno wrote:
    Ah Naupou was the giant creature.

You sure the giant creature wasn't Ah You?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

case885 wrote: »

Without meaning any offence, once could describe them as follows:

1. One incredibly tall and muscular person - the giant.
    2. One slightly shorter creature with legs the size of tree trunks.
    3. The smallest of the three (probably Aki) who was almost dwarfed by the other two.

Then you have my OH who at five foot eight and 12 stone was gazing at them in awe and wonder :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

case885 wrote: »
    Length not girth.

God only knows what Rodney's Nandos order was.

zqV1hkh.jpg

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    Length not girth.

God only knows what Rodney's Nandos order was.

I do remember they ordered a mountain of food.
    They were seated close enough to us, the Ohs abiding memory is how polite they were

He keeps calling them Samoan, I'll have to correct educate him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Stheno wrote: »
    I do remember they ordered a mountain of food.
    They were seated close enough to us, the Ohs abiding memory is how polite they were

He keeps calling them Samoan, I'll have to correct educate him :)

Naoupu and Aki are both of Samoan descent but NZ born. Not sure on Ah You.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Naoupu and Aki are both of Samoan descent but NZ born. Not sure on Ah You.

Shhhh don't spoil my glee :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Without meaning any offence, once could describe them as follows:

1. One incredibly tall and muscular person - the giant.
    2. One slightly shorter creature with legs the size of tree trunks.
    3. The smallest of the three (probably Aki) who was almost dwarfed by the other two.

Then you have my OH who at five foot eight and 12 stone was gazing at them in awe and wonder :D

250h973529.jpg

Rodney left and George right

Rodney left and George right

That's them alright :) Is George injured that he hasn't played recently that I'm aware of?

• Advertisement

That's them alright :) Is George injured that he hasn't played recently that I'm aware of?

no not really. hes fallen down the pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

To be fair Naoupu has played very well when called upon. Don't see him being first choice again but he'd be great to keep for depth if he's happy with that.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/line-ulster-v-connacht-preview/

Craggy Island preview of Ulster match/review of Leinster. Blade is seemingly covering 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

ClanofLams wrote: »

Craggy Island preview of Ulster match/review of Leinster. Blade is seemingly covering 10.

Ben teo gets Bundeed. like that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭typhoony

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/liam-toland-buckley-showing-the-benefits-of-brain-over-brawn-1.2594263

highlights Buckleys range of skills and the way in which all forwards are supposed to be involved in play, he also mentions how Penney was trying to do the sameting at Munster but I get the feeling there was'nt the will from the players or fans to change. in fact I have to admit at the start of Lam's tenure i was sceptical about the pass the ball at all costs type of game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Check the date :D

Oh I know ;):D

Oh I know ;):D
    I know you knew. I probably should have kept quiet just to see Billysays no's reaction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I know you knew. I probably should have kept quiet just to see Billysays no's reaction :D

delete these quickly. me might not have seen them.

Tell him Joe is to take over.

• Advertisement

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    delete these quickly. me might not have seen them.

Tell him Joe is to take over.
    Too late. connemara man quoted me. :o

have to admit red lights were flashing in front of my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

have to admit red lights were flashing in front of my eyes

you in amsterdam? Get lost on your way to belfast?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Not feeling so optimistic about this evening's trip North of the Wall. I'll settle for getting a bonus off the White Walkers with Denis Buckley slaying one.

Robbo wrote: »
    Not feeling so optimistic about this evening's trip North of the Wall. I'll settle for getting a bonus off the White Walkers with Denis Buckley slaying one.
    Well played sir

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmOjwchPNsSFT0oadX-P9flbvRFkfIiIIfm9g2CZOexmz2maFw2g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

game-of-thrones-saison-4-samwell-tarly.jpg

Denis Buckley, Connacht prop and turnover artist.

image.jpg

Samwell Tarly, Man of the Nights Watch and White Walker slayer.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Buckley has had some turnaround in the last 3 years or so hasn't he?

ClanofLams wrote: »

The lads were saying some great things about cormac brenann. Looking forward to seeing him in action. Its funny, we are up against a full strength Ulster side, with a lot of our players unavailable, and I simply wouldn't be surprised if we won the game. Its been such a crazy season you keep pinching yourself. The team is on an absolute high while Ulster realy haven't played well over the last while. I expect a pretty mental game with two attack minded teams. So should be high scoring and exciting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Anyone know what weather is like in Belfast for tonight. Like the look of Connacht to score over 10.5 points at even money as long as its not as wet and windy as last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The lads were saying some great things about cormac brenann. Looking forward to seeing him in action. Its funny, we are up against a full strength Ulster side, with a lot of our players unavailable, and I simply wouldn't be surprised if we won the game. Its been such a crazy season you keep pinching yourself. The team is on an absolute high while Ulster realy haven't played well over the last while. I expect a pretty mental game with two attack minded teams. So should be high scoring and exciting stuff.

The Ulster side isn't at full strength with, Herbst, Warwick, Tuohy. O'Connor, Williams and Faloon missing from the pack and Nelson, Arnold and Bowe from the backs. If fit, all those guys would either start or be on the bench. Sadly, Paul Marshall is fit...:D
    mjp wrote: »
    Anyone know what weather is like in Belfast for tonight. Like the look of Connacht to score over 10.5 points at even money as long as its not as wet and windy as last weekend.

The weather is awful. Heavy rain and strong winds.

Talking about all the injuries, was interesting listening to Gerry Thornley who, when he went to the sportsground earlier this week, said he had never witnessed a team going full tilt during a training session. Would be interesting to know as a statistic the amount of players who have been injured during games as compared to those injured during training

mjp wrote: »

Well that must have hurt.... The bubble is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bealham is turning into a serious player, really gets around the field and I thought the scrum noticeably improved when he came on.

I'm getting a little bit worries about our line out at key times last week and tonight when we were in a position to apply pressure on the opponents we made mistakes, we really need to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

b.gud wrote: »
    Bealham is turning into a serious player, really gets around the field and I thought the scrum noticeably improved when he came on.

I'm getting a little bit worries about our line out at key times last week and tonight when we were in a position to apply pressure on the opponents we made mistakes, we really need to sort it out

He could potentially be Ireland's starting TH in South Africa.

If Schmidt removes the blue tinted specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Team I hope to see next week v Grenoble:

1. Loughney
    2. Heffernan
    3. Bealham
    4. Roux
    5. Dillane
    6. SOB
    7. Heenan
    8. McKeon

9. Marmion
    10. O Leary
    11. Healy
    12. Robb
    13. Henshaw
    14. Adeolukun
    15. TOH

16. McCartney
    17. Buckley
    18. Anyone but Rodney
    19. Muldowney
    20. Muldoon
    21. Cooney
    22. Poolman
    23. Aki

If we can stay in the game with the first XV and then roll the subs as we need we could make a fist of it. We badly need to have a refreshed team for Munster at home.

I think the key to beating a French team is pace. So if we pick Healy and Niyi on the wings and try to keep shifting the ball side to side and move their pack around we could get some joy out wide.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »

I dunno why Rodney was starting to be honest. I've had mixed opinions about Rodney in the past but he's looked a far way from his best for the majority of the season. Bealham is twice the player he is at the minute.

Let's see, I think Muldoon and McKeon put in good performances tonight. O'Leary did well considering he's our 4th choice out half but looked pretty noticeably gassed after 60 mins. Henshaw mixed the good with the bad but on this occasion I think the bad outweighed the good which is unusual for him and disappointing. He butchered what looked like an excellent try opportunity by failing to pass(did this a couple of times actually) and then fired an awful pass straight in to touch. Who ever said Matt Healy can't defend?? Pretty sure he saved our asses twice tonight.

I'm pure spoiled now because I realise I'm not happy with a brave showing or a heroic performance that comes to nothing any more. Very disappointed to not come out with a LBP at least there but Ulster were the better team over 80 so can't complain. Stupid unforced errors whenever we had a good attacking opportunity cost us big time, and the complete and utter meltdown of the line out has to be examined.

I dunno how arsed I'd be about the Grenoble match next week if I was Lam. I really, really want the double on Munster and I think it's hugely important now in the battle for a home semi.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

1. Loughney
    2. Heffernan
    3. Bealham
    4. Roux
    5. Dillane
    6. SOB
    7. Heenan
    8. McKeon

9. Marmion
    10. O Leary
    11. Healy
    12. Robb
    13. Henshaw
    14. Adeolukun
    15. TOH

16. McCartney
    17. Buckley
    18. Anyone but Rodney
    19. Muldowney
    20. Muldoon
    21. Cooney
    22. Poolman
    23. Aki

If we can stay in the game with the first XV and then roll the subs as we need we could make a fist of it. We badly need to have a refreshed team for Munster at home.

I think the key to beating a French team is pace. So if we pick Healy and Niyi on the wings and try to keep shifting the ball side to side and move their pack around we could get some joy out wide.

As I understand it toh out for rest of the season

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno why Rodney was starting to be honest. I've had mixed opinions about Rodney in the past but he's looked a far way from his best for the majority of the season. Bealham is twice the player he is at the minute.

I've never been a fan of Ah You so maybe him leaving Conn isn't the worst thing for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of Ah You so maybe him leaving Conn isn't the worst thing for ye

As someone who has been attending matches for a good few years now I went from "oh no Rodney is coming on not good" to "Rodney is playing so well and deserves his first team place", when he changed side of the scrum, to now being back to my first quote. He can be oh so good but recently not seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

As I understand it toh out for rest of the season

Correct. 5 weeks
    So might be back if we get to one of the finals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

1. Loughney
    2. Heffernan
    3. Bealham
    4. Roux
    5. Dillane
    6. SOB
    7. Heenan
    8. McKeon

9. Marmion
    10. O Leary
    11. Healy
    12. Robb
    13. Henshaw
    14. Adeolukun
    15. TOH

16. McCartney
    17. Buckley
    18. Anyone but Rodney
    19. Muldowney
    20. Muldoon
    21. Cooney
    22. Poolman
    23. Aki

Completely agree with your team. hope Parata/finn will be back, pairing with Robb, Henshaw as FB as TOH is out
    JP Cooney for AhYou as 18!

16. McCartney
    17. Buckley
    19. Muldowney
    20. Muldoon
    21. Cooney
    22. Poolman
    23. Aki

+ Connolly, White, Browne, Blade

11 players rested or partly rested for Munster without disrupting the team quality..

So you might say I'm a little bit too cautious thinking about Champions Cup when we're top of the league since October

But our schedule was awful starting December compared to our opponents.

Before the Scarlets, Dragons and Embra upsets, I was with good reasons deeply convinced we were not favorite yet to qualify

Even after those rounds it was only 70% likely

Beating Ospreys and Leinster at home, combined to other results made it 95% sure

But now guys it's a done deal, even if Cardiff in-form players take 15 points out of 15 and us 0, they're behind us (no BP for them today, less games won than Connacht in the end whatever happens).

So WE ARE IN fu**** Champions Cup !!!!!! BRILLANT !!!!!:pac::pac::pac:

PS : in addition Blues win in parc y Scarlets increased a lot our chances for semi final. Wow:D

Very disappointing for the likes of Eoghan Masterson and TO'H to be missing the end of season given how much they have contributed, hopefully the latter can make it back for a couple of games.

On a more positive note, great result for Connacht with Cardiff beating Scarlets.

Side note London Irish very likely to be relegated now after another Majestic defeat. Time to purchase Jerry Sexton and Fergus Mulchrone on low money

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

connachta wrote: »
    Side note London Irish very likely to be relegated now after another Majestic defeat. Time to purchase Jerry Sexton and Fergus Mulchrone on low money

They're away to Newcastle in their next game and yeah a loss then and they're done. Their other games left are away to Wasps and home to Quins so not looking good for them at all.

connachta wrote: »
    So you might say I'm a little bit too cautious thinking about Champions Cup when we're top of the league since October

But our schedule was awful starting December compared to our opponents.

Before the Scarlets, Dragons and Embra upsets, I was with good reasons deeply convinced we were not favorite yet to qualify

Even after those rounds it was only 70% likely

Beating Ospreys and Leinster at home, combined to other results made it 95% sure

But now guys it's a done deal, even if Cardiff in-form players take 15 points out of 15 and us 0, they're behind us (no BP for them today, less games won than Connacht in the end whatever happens).

So WE ARE IN fu**** Champions Cup !!!!!! BRILLANT !!!!!:pac::pac::pac:

PS : in addition Blues win in parc y Scarlets increased a lot our chances for semi final. Wow:D
    Connachta, can you go through the maths on this for me. Thanks

Cardiff are on 48 points with 3 games to play. Even if they get a TBP in every game that will leave them on 63 points with 12 wins total. Connacht are currently on 63 points with 13 wins total so even if they lose every game they stay ahead of Cardiff. In order for Connacht to drop out of the top 6 both Cardiff and Edinburgh would have to overtake them, so Connacht are now guaranteed 6th place even if they lose every match for the rest of the season with no LBP.

Connacht 63 points
    Cardiff 7th of the league 48 points
    3 games to be played. 15 points distributed maximum
    At worse it's a draw with 63 points in the end, and Connacht would still be 6th ahead of Cardiff because they have won 4 more games (so 1 more than the Blues in the end minimum)

The only theorical possibility would be that the 6th spot isn't enough (only with no Welsh team in the top 6), not a chance it happens, Edinburgh have leinster and munster away to play, they won't overcome the 6 points gap with scarlets

Cardiff are on 48 points with 3 games to play. Even if they get a TBP in every game that will leave them on 63 points with 12 wins total. Connacht are currently on 63 points with 13 wins total so even if they lose every game they stay ahead of Cardiff. In order for Connacht to drop out of the top 6 both Cardiff and Edinburgh would have to overtake them, so Connacht are now guaranteed 6th place even if they lose every match for the rest of the season with no LBP.

Was 3 minutes late but I wrote a complement Billy;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement