Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

connachta wrote: »
    Connacht 63 points
    Cardiff 7th of the league 48 points
    3 games to be played. 15 points distributed maximum
    At worse it's a draw with 63 points in the end, and Connacht would still be 6th ahead of Cardiff because they have won 4 more games won (so 1 more than the Blues in the end minimum)

The only theorical possibility would be that the 6th spot isn't enough (only with no Welsh team in the top 6), not a chance it happens, Edinburgh have leinster and munster away to play, they won't overcome the 6 points gap with scarlets
    Edinburgh are 7th in the league 52 points, blues are in 8th 48 pts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Edinburgh are 7th in the league 52 points, blues are in 8th 48 pts?

No it's in the case Edinburgh finish in front of Scarlets. No Welsh team in top 6, so the rule "saves" the 1st Welsh team outside the top 6, and only Top 5 teams are qualified. Hugely unlikely as I said above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Side note London Irish very likely to be relegated now after another Majestic defeat. Time to purchase Jerry Sexton and Fergus Mulchrone on low money

Neither for me

I'd look at taking Eamon Sheridan off Oyonnax as they'll be relegated too ahead of Mulchrone

Neither for me

I'd look at taking Eamon Sheridan off Oyonnax as they'll be relegated too ahead of Mulchrone

Mulchrone can play FB too, Sheridan is very limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Neither for me

Do we really need another centre? Ronaldson, Aki, Parata, Robb, Griffin, Finn, McSharry(hopefully). I'd say we are well stocked at centre. A wing/fullback or a second row to replace Muldowney would be higher on my shopping list.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Do we really need another centre? Ronaldson, Aki, Parata, Robb, Griffin, Finn, McSharry(hopefully). I'd say we are well stocked at centre. A wing/fullback or a second row to replace Muldowney would be higher on my shopping list.

That's why I'd like Jerry Sexton/Sheriff/Mark Flanagan/ Darren O'Shea for lock
    and Mulchrone as experienced utility back ahead of Sheridan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is Aki not off to Ulster?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is Aki not off to Ulster?

Jesus no, wash your mouth out. Rodney Ah You is going to Ulster. Aki has another year on his contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jesus no, wash your mouth out. Rodney Ah You is going to Ulster. Aki has another year on his contract.

Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No guarantee Ronaldson will be around lads - contract is up and I'm sure other Provinces will be sniffing

That's why I'd like Jerry Sexton/Sheriff/Mark Flanagan/ Darren O'Shea for lock
    and Mulchrone as experienced utility back ahead of Sheridan

O'Shea has signed for Munster I think. Can't really speak to the quality of the others cuz I don't really watch much of the AP to be honest. I remember Sheriff's name being brought up before as a possible decent signing.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    No guarantee Ronaldson will be around lads - contract is up and I'm sure other Provinces will be sniffing

I was actually just wondering the other day what the story with contracts is. Aren't there A LOT of contracts up that we haven't heard anything about one way or the other? We're getting close to the end of the season now, surely we should be hearing soon?

Next season we lose Robbie. We have only tiernan and darragh who are proven full backs. If one gets injured (as with this year) you are left hoping the other stays fit. So we definitely need a proven full back/winger on our list for next season. The loss of tiernan is somewhat eased with Robbie now being available. Now everybody knows I don't think Robbie is a quality full back but he is better than jack, matt or any of our other backs covering that position. Do remember Tim alnutt saying bundee wasn't allowed coffee. Wonder iif a quick cuppa and bundee to full back would do the trick

O'Shea has signed for Munster I think.

Back south fom Worcester? Sure?

Back south fom Worcester? Sure?

Yep: http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/37228.php

• Advertisement

Next season we lose Robbie. We have only tiernan and darragh who are proven full backs. If one gets injured (as with this year) you are left hoping the other stays fit. So we definitely need a proven full back/winger on our list for next season. The loss of tiernan is somewhat eased with Robbie now being available. Now everybody knows I don't think Robbie is a quality full back but he is better than jack, matt or any of our other backs covering that position. Do remember Tim alnutt saying bundee wasn't allowed coffee. Wonder iif a quick cuppa and bundee to full back would do the trick

I do think we need a utility back able to play FB too.. More adequate IQ players for the specific position would be McIllwaine Scanlon or Hudson all from Championship in England

all right, I was in Galway for the Connacht-Leinster game last week, I missed the news

Does Aki tend to be a bit of a hot head?

Between the Leinster game last week, and the Ulster game yesterday he was involved in/started scraps at least four times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

all right, I was in Galway for the Connacht-Leinster game last week, I missed the news
    I thought the pony express were getting to Galway these days, seems I was wrong. :P

So the list of potential IQ in priority areas

2nd row
    Mark Flanagan (Bedford), Eoin Sheriff (London Irish), Jerry Sexton (Exeter on loan with L.I)

utility/FB
    Fergus Mulchrone (30 y.o L.I), McIllwaine (Doncaster) Scanlon (Rotherham) Hudson (Bristol, on loan with Mosley), Sheridan (Oyonnax), alex O'Meara (ex-Connacht summer trainning squad, Cornish Pirates)

Did I miss someone?

• Advertisement

I thought the pony express were getting to Galway these days, seems I was wrong. :P

Telegraph only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭typhoony

i have no worries about Ronaldson, he will stay with us I'm certain of that. he has transformed himself into a reliable and solid 12 who can also be a primary penalty kicker. He's gone a bit under the radar but I'm sure there's a few coaches out there who know what an asset he would be to any team.

Listening to the preview of the ulster game there were three big contracts up. Heenan, ronaldson and ?

The only theorical possibility would be that the 6th spot isn't enough (only with no Welsh team in the top 6), not a chance it happens, Edinburgh have leinster and munster away to play, they won't overcome the 6 points gap with scarlets

Even more unlikely on 2nd thought,
    Edinburgh would have to close BOTH of the 6-point-gap with Scarlets (to exclude any Welsh team from top 6) AND close the 11-point-gap with Connacht to put us outside the qualified top 5 in this case

No, honnestly guys, it won't happen with Munster and Leinster away to come for them! Champios Cup HERE WE COME:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Stheno wrote: »
    Does Aki tend to be a bit of a hot head?

Between the Leinster game last week, and the Ulster game yesterday he was involved in/started scraps at least four times.

Ah yeah there's a niggle in how he plays.

Like I'm surprised that it's only cost Connacht 3 pro 12 yellow cards.

Listening to the preview of the ulster game there were three big contracts up. Heenan, ronaldson and ?

Actually may have been a bit of an overreaction on my part, after a bit of googling the majority of our players are signed on until at least 2017. Heenan, Ronaldson and Muldowney are the 3 that we've heard nothing about and there are some other fringe players like Conor Finn that I can't find anything on with a quick google. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll try to knock together a list like Thomond has on the Munster thread.

Even more unlikely on 2nd thought,
    Edinburgh would have to close BOTH of the 6-point-gap with Scarlets (to exclude any Welsh team from top 6) AND close the 11-point-gap with Connacht to put us outside the qualified top 5 in this case

No, honnestly guys, it won't happen with Munster and Leinster away to come for them! Champios Cup HERE WE COME:D
    Oh we of little faith. Go connachta

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

Actually may have been a bit of an overreaction on my part, after a bit of googling the majority of our players are signed on until at least 2017. Heenan, Ronaldson and Muldowney are the 3 that we've heard nothing about and there are some other fringe players like Conor Finn that I can't find anything on with a quick google. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll try to knock together a list like Thomond has on the Munster thread.

From the Connacht clan website, the players out of contract at the end of the season are:

Jason Harris-Wright
    JP Cooney
    Aly Muldowney
    Danny Qualter
    Jake Heenan
    Seoirse mór
    Ian Porter
    Craig Ronaldson
    Api
    Shane O'Leary
    Conor Finn
    Fionn Carr

Ah yeah there's a niggle in how he plays.

Like I'm surprised that it's only cost Connacht 3 pro 12 yellow cards.
    But ya gotta love him, his hand appears out of nowhere to destroy opposition attack. Nine times out of ten illegally, but 3 times out of 10 found out. Love this guy :-)

cblaix wrote: »
    From the Connacht clan website, the players out of contract at the end of the season are:

Jason Harris-Wright
    JP Cooney
    Aly Muldowney
    Danny Qualter
    Jake Heenan
    Seoirse mór
    Ian Porter
    Craig Ronaldson
    Api
    Shane O'Leary
    Conor Finn
    Fionn Carr

Most of them have their utility in the squad, even as cover.

Only ? are Aly (because of Grenoble), Carr (ageing) and Porter (because of Kerrins who may be enough as 4th choice)

• Advertisement

Oh we of little faith. Go connachta

3rd thought during the night. Even if Edinburgh and Munster get 10 points of of 10, they'll both need points when they meet each other to kick Connacht out of top 5. Which means, in addition to the rest of the hypothesis, that the Munster vs Embra game has to be a draw or a double BP defeat for Embra or a BP defeat for Munster (with Connacht not taking a single point in the meantime)

Turn from 1 chance out of 1000 to 1 out of a million. If it happens, I'd be suspicious about rigged betting. Odds should be much higher than what they were for Leicester Champion of the Premier League in August :D

More positivity? Beating Treviso is very close to semi-final guarentee ;)

For those worried about Masterson absence : McKeon stats against Leinster : 1 missed tackle, 24 completed. How is this possible :)

For those worried about Masterson absence : McKeon stats against Leinster : 1 missed tackle, 24 completed. How is this possible :)

He made a huge number against Ulster too, the most on the team and possibly of both teams, I don't have the numbers handy right now but I think it was mid I high teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

He made a huge number against Ulster too, the most on the team and possibly of both teams, I don't have the numbers handy right now but I think it was mid I high teens.

ESPN Stats say 13 tackles none missed
    Stu Mccklosy equalled him but missed one and Jackson had 17 missed one

LH Prop

Denis Buckley 2017
    Ronan Loughney 2017
    JP Cooney* 2016

Hooker

Tom McCartney 2017
    Dave Heffernan 2017 ?
    Shane Delahunt 2017
    Jason Harris-Wright 2016

TH Prop

Nathan White 2017
    Finlay Bealham** 2017
    Conor Carey 2017 ?
    Rodney Ah You 2016

Conan O’Donnell Academy

Second Row

Ultan Dillane 2017
    Quinn Roux 2017
    Andrew Browne 2017 ?
    Ben Marshall 2017 ?
    Danny Qualter 2016
    Aly Muldowney 2016

Cian Romaine Academy

Back Row

John Muldoon 2017
    Sean O’Brien 2017
    Nepia Fox-Matamua 2017
    Eoghan Masterson 2017
    Eoin McKeon 2017
    James Connolly 2017
    Jake Heenan 2016
    George Naoupu 2016

Scrum Half

Kieran Marmion 2018
    John Cooney 2017
    Caolin Blade 2017
    Ian Porter 2016

Out Half

Marnitz Boshoff 2018
    Jack Carty 2017
    Shane O’Leary 2016
    AJ MacGinty 2016

Conor McKeon Academy

Centre

Eoin Griffin 2018 ?
    Bundee Aki 2017
    Rory Parata 2017
    Peter Robb 2017
    Dave McSharry 2017
    Craig Ronaldson 2016
    Api Pewhairangi 2016
    Conor Finn 2016
    Robbie Henshaw 2016

Cormac Brennan Academy

Wings

Matt Healy 2018
    Niyi Adeolokun 2017
    Danie Poolman 2017
    Fionn Carr 2016

Full Back

Tiernan O'Halloran 2018 ?
    Darragh Leader 2017

*I’m putting JP Cooney as a LH mostly for balance seeing as he plays both sides.
    ** I know Finlay plays both sides effectively but I think his future is at TH.

If there's a ? it's because the length of the contract wasn't given in the announcement so it could be a 1 or 2 year deal.

I think I have all the senior squad here, I know I'm missing a lot of Academy players if somebody wants to add them or if I've made a mistake on somebody's contract feel free.

Sure what else would I be at on a Sunday morning :o

LH:
    Conor Kyne Academy Year 1
    Jamie Dever Academy Year 3
    Jacob Walshe Academy Year 3

Hooker:
    Jack Dineen Academy Year 2
    Pat O'Toole Academy Year 1

TH
    Conor Carey 2018?
    Saba Meunagria Academy Year 3

Backrow:
    Marc Kelly Academy Year 2
    Stephen McVeigh Academy Year 1
    Rory Moloney Academy Year 3

Scrum Half:
    Conor Lownes Academy Year 1

Wing:
    Ed O'Keefe Academy Year 1

Fullback:
    Ciaran Gaffney Academy Year 2

With 3 talented hookers and Dineen + O'Toole in thé academy, I wonder if Jhw will move. He's probably more needed in any of thé other 3 provinces, and it would free some fresh cash for a 2 nd row and a utility back of great qualities. Don't Know if it's wise to release him but if should be in debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Heenan and Ronaldson are the two contracts that we need to get sorted. Obviously we'd also want to keep Muldowney if possible but that's unlikely to happen.

Of the rest I'd give George another year and maybe Qualter and O'Leary might be worth another contract for squad cover, but with the standard coming out of the academy now there is less and less need to keep on journeyman pros for injury cover. On that basis the likes of JHW/JPC/Carr/Finn and Api may be let go.

There was a time, not so long ago, when getting released from Connacht would have probably meant the end of a professional career, but some of those lads would have no problem finding alternative employment between the other provinces as squad players, the Championship in England and the Pro D2, as well as possibly the Ireland 7s program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Met Finlay Bealham last night in Dublin. Absolute gent. Seemed a bit surprised that I recognised him..and as I had 2 drinks in my hands I was a bit awkward!

He was with the bird I think...meant to say to him I hope this doesn't turn into another Robbie situation..:D

• Advertisement

[
    Back Row

George Naoupu 2016

Contract not getting renewed, will be confirmed today or tomorrow
    Will miss Big George

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Will miss Big George

We will miss him he has being a great player in both stints, but the development of younger players has made him, more and more, a bit part player.

Any word on where he is going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Will miss Big George

if true, (and assuming it is), it's a good example of the transient and short nature of professional sport. He and Sene had roots here, Sene is now playing for Ireland, she had set up her own business etc. They have both made huge personal and professional investment in Connacht and Ireland. Whatever happens, I hope it works out for them and they continue to be happy and successful...

Really wish him all the best. Really great player for us in the past just unfortunate that so much talent has come through in his preferred position. I wonder where he'll go(if anywhere?) now, his family are quite settled in Galway aren't they?

Maybe Ulster could use him for a season or two? He's still got plenty to give and their back row, and particularly number 8 with Williams leaving, can be shaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Great player, always gave everything on the pitch and a gentleman off it. Wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I would hope we are signing a player in the backrow, otherwise I don't see the sense in letting him go.....backrow is a very attritional position so we need plenty cover and he's still playing well for us.

• Advertisement

S12b wrote: »
    I would hope we are signing a player in the backrow, otherwise I don't see the sense in letting him go.....backrow is a very attritional position so we need plenty cover and he's still playing well for us.

I doubt that's going to happen. Assuming we keep Heenan there are 2 players for each position plus James Connolly at 6 or 7 in the senior squad without Naoupu.

I know it's an attritional position but how much of Naoupu have we seen this year? Has he played 8 at all or just second row? I would have been happy to hold on to him but if he's going I think the money can be spent better elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

All the best to George, gave it his all down through the years. Ideally Connacht would find a younger and cheaper player like him who has the versatility to play in the row or back row as required.

On another note, will be interesting to see what sort of sides both Connacht and Grenoble put out this week. I read previously that Grenoble were out of the playoffs hunt but having looked at the table and fixtures I doubt they will be thinking that. They're three points off Castres in 7th and seven points off Toulouse in 6th, the last playoff spot. With home games to come against both, certainly not out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Will miss Big George

Any word on Jake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Really wish him all the best. Really great player for us in the past just unfortunate that so much talent has come through in his preferred position. I wonder where he'll go(if anywhere?) now, his family are quite settled in Galway aren't they?

Maybe Ulster could use him for a season or two? He's still got plenty to give and their back row, and particularly number 8 with Williams leaving, can be shaky.
    Can't. NIE numbers.

Key injuries, including 2 at 10 too, are suspected for Grenoble. There's smth to do saturday guys

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement