Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

George has been a great servant but I think the time is right for him to go now. He hasn't featured much at all this season and at this stage he's probably 4th choice to play number 8 (Masterson, McKeon and Muldoon all ahead of him) and I think we have better options in the second row too.

Should free up a bit of money aswell. As it is now our back row options for next season are Muldoon, Heenan (hopefully), McKeon, Masterson (I know he'll miss the first while), Browne, O'Brien, Fox, Connolly. Have I missed anyone there? Anyone in the academy capable of stepping up in the way O'Brien and Connolly have over the past year or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

George has been a great servant but I think the time is right for him to go now. He hasn't featured much at all this season and at this stage he's probably 4th choice to play number 8 (Masterson, McKeon and Muldoon all ahead of him) and I think we have better options in the second row too.

Should free up a bit of money aswell. As it is now our back row options for next season are Muldoon, Heenan (hopefully), McKeon, Masterson (I know he'll miss the first while), Browne, O'Brien, Fox, Connolly. Have I missed anyone there? Anyone in the academy capable of stepping up in the way O'Brien and Connolly have over the past year or so?

Maybe Moloney. I still think we'll recruit a direct replacement for naoupu, ball carrier to cover 5 and 8

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

connachta wrote: »
    Maybe Moloney. I still think we'll recruit a direct replacement for naoupu, ball carrier to cover 5 and 8

I always thought Rory Moloney was a handy player at u20 level for Ireland, but I do wonder if he is physically big enough for pro rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Players not back next season

Aly Muldowney
    George Naoupu
    AJ MacGinty
    Fionn Carr
    Jason Harris-Wright
    Api Pewhairangi
    Ian Porter

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-rugby-confirm-outgoing-players/#ConnachtNews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Heenan and Ronaldson not on the list.
    Hope that means they are staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Best of luck to all of them. All have served the team well when called on. I presume Porter will be heading straight back to Ulster? Surely he's a better option than Marshall?

Best of luck to all the lads.

Aly is a huge loss really in a leadership sense as much as anything else. With Porter gone does that mean we are down to 3 scrumhalves next season?

hopefully Harris wright gets to keep playing same as Porter. I didn't see enough of Api would he be good enough able to make the move to England somewhere?

I'm not surprised with George.

Aly is a huge loss really. I'm not surprised with George. does that mean we are down to 3 scrumhalves next season? hopefully Harris wright gets to keep playing same as Porter. I didn't see enough of Api would he be good enough able to make the move to England somewhere?

3 senior scrum halves and Stephen Kerins in the (sub?)academy looks a good prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Anyone want to make a guess at where each are headed?

Anyone want to make a guess at where each are headed?

Fionn Carr - Retiring? maybe England somewhere
    Jason Harris-Wright - England somewhere
    AJ MacGinty - Sale
    Aly Muldowney - Grenoble
    George Naoupu - Retirement
    Api Pewhairangi - I didn't see enough of him to see would he be picked up again
    Ian Porter - Ulster

• Advertisement

Muldowney to Grenoble and MacGinty to Sale we already know. I think Porter to head back to Ulster would make sense. Harris-Wright I can see going abroad. He's plenty good enough to play for one of the lower end AP clubs or he might get a decent offer from a championship club. Api... no idea to be honest, haven't seen him play at all really so...

Fionn Carr I think will be retiring, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Naoupu do the same. Don't himself and his wife have a business in Galway? Between that and Sene playing for Ireland I think he's quite settled where he is, although maybe he'll go abroad for a year or two to finish out his career.

EDIT: Great minds Connemara man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm sure JHW will get snapped up by Ulster or Munster
    Shame never worked out for Api
    I'm sure Porter, Noupou and Carr could still do a job for a Championship side (Hopefully the Noupou's stay around Galway and George stays coaching)

Wish AJ all the best with Sale

Shame the Aly Muldowney rumours were true- sad a player of his quality will never get an Irish Cap.

As BrokenMan said, no Heenan or Ronaldson on that list is encouraging. Guessing Qualter, Finn, O'Leary and JP Cooney will be staying on also

Players not back next season

Aly Muldowney
    George Naoupu
    AJ MacGinty
    Fionn Carr
    Jason Harris-Wright
    Api Pewhairangi
    Ian Porter

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-rugby-confirm-outgoing-players/#ConnachtNews

Pretty much the list I expected TBH. Had just doubts about JHW and Api

Bazzo wrote: »
    3 senior scrum halves and Stephen Kerins in the (sub?)academy looks a good prospect.

Yeah as I said earlier + Conor Lowndes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'm sure JHW will get snapped up by Ulster or Munster

Munster have 4 senior hookers under contract, they don't need him.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    As BrokenMan said, no Heenan or Ronaldson on that list is encouraging. Guessing Qualter, Finn, O'Leary and JP Cooney will be staying on also

Qualter pretty much saved his life by performing against Ospreys

My guess

Aly Muldowney Grenoble
    George Naoupu Coaching (Connacht forward coach in 2 or 3 years)
    AJ MacGinty Sale
    Fionn Carr England Championship, probably relegated London Irish
    Jason Harris-Wright Back with promoted Bristol
    Api Pewhairangi Ireland 7's
    Ian Porter Ulster

Muldowney to Grenoble and MacGinty to Sale we already know. I think Porter to head back to Ulster would make sense. Harris-Wright I can see going abroad. He's plenty good enough to play for one of the lower end AP clubs or he might get a decent offer from a championship club. Api... no idea to be honest, haven't seen him play at all really so...

Fionn Carr I think will be retiring, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Naoupu do the same. Don't himself and his wife have a business in Galway? Between that and Sene playing for Ireland I think he's quite settled where he is, although maybe he'll go abroad for a year or two to finish out his career.

EDIT: Great minds Connemara man...

First time anyone has called me a great mind :D:pac:

Best news are Heenan and Craig probably kept

Now 39-men squad, two NIQ to come, I guess one n°5/8 à la Naoupu, one utility back.
    Georges + JHW + Carr + Muldowney freed cash must enable 2 very decent signings, and Jake contract raised closer to what French teams offered him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Huge chunk of cash freed up there.

You feel Aly's freed up cash will cover the incoming Griffin and Boshoff contracts

Carr, JHW, AJ and George would've been all on decent money so we can surely get in one or two decent signings. Hoping Api and Porter cash will cover the academy graduates

A wrecking ball backrow is something needed I feel. Maybe we will find the next CJ :)

The list hasn't changed a lot, but it makes it clearer

In red "still uncertain", which will be sorted out within next weeks
    Into bracket those who will need to step up in case of injury crisis

1) Buckley, O'Donnell, Loughney (JP Cooney)
    2) McCartney, Heff, Delahunt, (Dineen/O'Toole)
    3) Bealham, White, Carey (JP Cooney)
    4) Roux, Another strong ball-carrier 4/8 , (Qualter or Romaine)
    5) Dillane, Marshall, Browne, (Qualter or Romaine)
    6) Muldoon, SOB 2.0, Connolly, (Heenan)
    7) Heenan, Nepia, Connolly, (McKeon)
    8 ) McKeon, Masterson, Another strong ball-carrier 4/8
    9) Marmion, Blade, Cooney, (Kerrins/Lowndes)
    10) Boshoff, Carty, Ronaldson, (O'Leary)
    11) Healy, TOH, Another winger/FB, (O'Keefe)
    12) Aki, Ronaldson, Robb, McSharry (Brennan)
    13) Griffin, Parata, Finn
    14) Poolman, Leader, Niyi, (Gaffney)
    15) TOH, Leader, Another winger/FB, (Gaffney)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Delighted to see Finn is not on that list. Very unfortunately timing with his injury as he looked comfortable in that game against Munster before he got injured. With Api leaving the squad he can look to keep training and show his value eventually.

JHW unfortunate, Two years back he was talked here as a future captain and really ill timed injuries have set him back. IMO he is the strongest thrower in the squad but would have struggled for the bench spot between him dave and delahunt

freyners wrote: »

JHW unfortunate, Two years back he was talked here as a future captain and really ill timed injuries have set him back. IMO he is the strongest thrower in the squad but would have struggled for the bench spot between him dave and delahunt

He's back for a few months now. It's not about him being average, more about Delahunt being better for the coaches. Happy times, Connacht have fat-cat issue:D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

How do people think delahunt will get on in the next few year. Good player. I think he started in Thomand if I'm correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I find it hard to believe there are 12 to 15 hookers in Irish rugby better than Harris Wright. Surely there's a contract with one of the provinces there somewhere for him?

I'm maybe a bit surprised JP Cooney looks set for another contract. Possibly not a ringing endorsement of the props in the academy other than O'Donnell.

Carr's career path to some extent shows the rise of Connacht Rugby over the years, he was too good for Connacht five years ago but not good enough now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭typhoony

i read somewhere recently that the academy guys get an allowance of 4,000 euros for the year but with all 4 provinces utilising the academy players in the senior squads they are going to increase it to 8,000 euros, I hope this doenst use up too much of the available money that we'd use to sign 1 or 2 NIQ SH players

typhoony wrote:
    i read somewhere recently that the academy guys get an allowance of 4,000 euros for the year but with all 4 provinces utilising the academy players in the senior squads they are going to increase it to 8,000 euros, I hope this doenst use up too much of the available money that we'd use to sign 1 or 2 NIQ SH players

What is an academy deal actually? Scholarship, housing and board plus stipend?

Ah ya I knew he was back but he was very very good before injury, surprised he hasn't featured considering what came vefore but as you said that's pro sport. Easily good enough for pro12 tho and would be a great addition for championship or d2 if he isinterested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Very very sad to see JHW leave of all the names there. Really talented player who made himself into a hooker from the backrow. They probably were left with a straight shootout between JHW and Heffernan. Very tough to choose between the two, but the injury record of JHW hasn't been good the past two seasons.

Really good player who would be a great addition to any squad.

Also sad to see Carr go. At the end of the day he is our top try scorer and set the tone for the famous win in Toulouse with his big hit and try saving tackle.

The absence of names such as Heenan and Ronaldson can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

What TV channel is the Grenoble match on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ludikrus wrote: »
    What TV channel is the Grenoble match on?

BT Sport/BeIn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Will be interesting to see where Carr goes. What's his background like? Would he be set up for retirement? Not that I think he'll take that option. He could be a club legend if he played with a Championship team, I think.

Bit random and slightly off topic but does anybody remember the interview where John Muldoon mentioned the average wage of a pro 12 player(at the time)? I can't seem to find it anywhere, if anybody had a link to it that'd be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

BT Sport/BeIn

Grenoble vs Connacht for Sky viewers is on BT Sport/ESPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bit random and slightly off topic but does anybody remember the interview where John Muldoon mentioned the average wage of a pro 12 player(at the time)? I can't seem to find it anywhere, if anybody had a link to it that'd be great.

Somewhere in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDgKHySObFs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Great piece of news it is!
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/kieran-marmion-and-jake-heenan-back-to-boost-connachts-challenge-cup-charge-34600541.html

Marmion and Heenan back for Grenoble, Carty and TOH sooner than expected.

Would be brilliant if Carty was available for the Munster game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Lads I know it's a small sample size but would I be the only one that would have O'Leary ahead of Carty when Carty comes back? I just loved the way O'Leary took the ball so flat and aggressively against Ulster and how his passing really invited the backs outside him to hit the ball at pace.

His kicking was fine too, one poor miss from the tee but nailed a couple of good ones and kicked decently from hand.

I just think that while Carty has improved I still think he's often guilty of taking the ball too deep and just basically shovelling it on to the next player, never takes it flat or at pace which can generate momentum for the backs outside him. He's very hit and miss with the boot too.

Either way I suppose O'Leary will have at least two more games to prove his worth before Lam has to decide on this issue.

I actually didn't think O'Leary played all that well against Ulster tbh
    In the context of it being his first Pro12 start yes he was good and he made few nice half breaks but personally he did nothing to say he is a better outhalf than Carty
    I'm open to him having a stormer vs Grenoble and making himself first choice mind :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Squad update and updated "Archives of Pain".

Definitely injured:
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|ACL|Next Season
    Dave McSharry|Concussion|Next Season
    Darragh Leader|Wrist|Next Season
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|December 2016
    Jack Carty|Spleen/Waterslide Ouch|Hoped for "upcoming Pro 12 games"
    Rory Parata|Kneecap|Hoped for "upcoming Pro 12 games"
    Tiernan O'Halloran|Quad|In Rehab/TBA
    AJ McGinty|Shoulder Joint|In Rehab/TBA
    Craig Ronaldson|Ankle|2-3 Weeks
    Ciaran Gaffney|Ankle|2-3 Weeks
    Nathan White|Concussion|RTP Protocols

Unknown: Ben Marshall was unavailable for Ulster but I can't find anything more than that.

Returning: Kieran Marmion, Jake Heenan

Disappointed Parata isn't available yet

I'd go with

1) Loughney
    2) Heffernan
    3) Bealham
    4) Roux
    5) Dillane
    6) Muldoon
    7) Heenan
    8) McKeon
    9) Marmion
    10) O'Leary
    11) Niyi
    12) Robb
    13) Henshaw
    14) Poolman
    15) Carr

16) McCartney
    17) Buckley
    18) JP Cooney
    19) Muldowney
    20) O'Brien
    21) Blade
    22) Aki
    23) Healy

Here is our winger/FB to replace Carr
    Reasonable money I guess, and we can put the whole amount remaining on a international Lock/n°8

"Leicester have confirmed that Niall Morris will leave the club at the end of the season. Fine player who’s had a really bad run of injuries."

connachta wrote: »
    Here is our winger/FB to replace Carr
    Reasonable money I guess, and we can put the whole amount remaining on a international Lock/n°8

"Leicester have confirmed that Niall Morris will leave the club at the end of the season. Fine player who’s had a really bad run of injuries."

Yeah I saw he was being released alright. He hasn't played rugby in nearly a year I think but when he is playing he's definitely a good player. Would have no issue taking a punt on him and I'd say the money wouldn't be too bad considering his injury profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Stan27 wrote: »
    How do people think delahunt will get on in the next few year. Good player. I think he started in Thomand if I'm correct.
    I see delahunt currently ahead of heff and well able to compete with tom. He is a proper monster

Judging by this tweet I'm guessing that White won't be available this weekend
    https://twitter.com/njwhite33/status/718063168380133377

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Just cause a man has a nice day out and plugs social media for a freebee, does not mean he wont play........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Just cause a man has a nice day out and plugs social media for a freebee, does not mean he wont play........

Hopefully. If not go with Bealham and Conan. I don't mind lads having a bad run of form but Ah You hasn't even been giving it everything which is the least expected.

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Well I'm guessing that since it's a Saturday match then today would have been a training day, and I doubt getting a facial is an integral part of this weekends game plan :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Could be getting the false tan and nails painted for the big game.............. its on TV !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement