Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Just watched the highlights. They looked tired in the last ten minutes. Unless we have enough players available for some rotation I would be worried about the Munster game next week.

From what I saw O'Leary played well. An able replacement for McGinty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Just watched the highlights. They looked tired in the last ten minutes. Unless we have enough players available for some rotation I would be worried about the Munster game next week.

From what I saw O'Leary played well. An able replacement for McGinty.

O'Leary did ok everything considered. He mixed the good with the very bad tbh. He's a good squad player but right now I can't see him progressing beyond that, as usual with these things I would love to be proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

The injury list is at that point once again where you could select a starting 15 from it and not be unhappy with the team selection. While I know its harsh to say this I do think if aj had been available we would have closed out the Grenoble game comfortably. So with Munster next it looks like we will be short further players (poolman for sure). Its not a matter of believing in the ability of Connacht, its a matter of thinking all these injuries could become a crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

He's gotten a lot of slack in the past for his deficiencies but I thought defensively last night Carr was very good

b.gud wrote: »
    He's gotten a lot of slack in the past for his deficiencies but I thought defensively last night Carr was very good

Yep, that choke tackle was class. Hope he gets a contract somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yep, that choke tackle was class. Hope he gets a contract somewhere.

He's ex-Leinster academy. Munster are probably licking their lips at the prospect, he's just their type!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Saw some of the highlights. Connacht scored some cracking tries. Given the injury situation, having one competition to compete in is probably better than two.

• Advertisement

Any knocks from the weekend.

How is the squad looking for the weekend?

Any knocks from the weekend.

How is the squad looking for the weekend?

Update usually comes out on a Tuesday so we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out, I guess Poolman would be the main concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Update usually comes out on a Tuesday so we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out, I guess Poolman would be the main concern

Mckeon and Heenan would be concerns as well

freyners wrote: »
    Mckeon and Heenan would be concerns as well

Forgot about those was thinking just about players who went off during the match, hopefully McKeon was just a 24 hour bug. Knowing Heenans luck he'll probably recover and then roll his other other ankle late in the week :rolleyes:

Knowing Heenans luck he'll probably recover and then roll his other other ankle late in the week :rolleyes:

How many ankles does he have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

How many ankles does he have?

Enough to rule him out for the season I guess:pac::mad:

• Advertisement

Connacht v Munster
    Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 22nd competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Gary Conway, Nigel Correll (both IRFU)
    Citing Commissioner: Eddie Wigglesworth (IRFU)
    TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)

Whitehouse is one of the best refs in the pro12 if you ask me. No complaints here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Didn't Whitehouse ref the reverse fixture in the Debt Star?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Robbo wrote:
    Didn't Whitehouse ref the reverse fixture in the Debt Star?

He did. That and the Newcastle game gave the moniker of pen tryhouse

• Advertisement

Huge shame about Jake... presume that McKeon is ok though and Pat seems to go with the SOB-Muldoon-McKeon backrow ahead of Muldoon-McKeon-Connolly so I suppose we'll see that.

Would love to see a Dillane Muldowney starting second row, and for outhalf I'd guess we'll see O'Leary starting maybe coming off early enough for Carty. If he settles himself and cuts out some of the brainless stuff that I'm hoping was down to inexperience last week he'll be more than capable of putting in a good 50 mins.

I'm not sure who'll take the 23 jersey, either of Carr or Parata would be fine with me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Updated Museum of Torture.

Definitely injured:
    Player|Knack|Expected Return
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|ACL|Next Season
    Dave McSharry|Concussion|Next Season
    Darragh Leader|Wrist|Next Season
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|December 2016
    Jake Heenan|Ankle|3-4 Weeks
    Danie Poolman|Foot|TBA
    Tiernan O'Halloran|Quad|Light Training
    AJ McGinty|Shoulder Joint|Light Training
    Craig Ronaldson|Ankle|2-3 Weeks
    Ciaran Gaffney|Ankle|2-3 Weeks

Unknown: Ben Marshall was unavailable for Ulster but I can't find anything more than that. Nathan White should be through RTP by now.

Returning to full training: Jack Carty, Rory Parata

SOL 10 Carty 22 is ok for me too

I'd go with good old Carr as FB

11) Heals
    12) Henshaw
    13) Aki
    14) Parata
    15) Carr
    23) Robb
    reserve Niyi

White to sub for Bealham after an hour and Muldowney back with Dillane will be huge boost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Robbo wrote: »
    Updated Museum of Torture.

Great that Carry is back and sounds like TO'H/McGinty might be available for Italy trip. Disappointing about Heenan though, hadn't realised it was that serious at all, thought he might be back this week. Also thought Ronaldson was closer than that.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Great that Carry is back and sounds like TO'H/McGinty might be available for Italy trip. Disappointing about Heenan though, hadn't realised it was that serious at all, thought he might be back this week. Also thought Ronaldson was closer than that.

We actually dunno what's going on with Ronaldson do we? It was 2-3 weeks when he injured himself 3 weeks ago and there's been no news since(I think?).

connachta wrote: »
    SOL 10 Carty 22 is ok for me too

I'd go with good old Carr as FB

11) Heals
    12) Henshaw
    13) Aki
    14) Parata
    15) Carr
    23) Robb
    reserve Niyi

White to sub for Bealham after an hour and Muldowney back with Dillane will be huge boost

Why put Carr at FB ahead of Healy, and why drop Niyi?!?!

Bazzo wrote: »
    We actually dunno what's going on with Ronaldson do we? It was 2-3 weeks when he injured himself 3 weeks ago and there's been no news since(I think?).

I can't remember anything anyway. Think he said on twitter that it was going to be tight for the leinster game so either he was being super optimistic or its more serious than first thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Has Healy signed a new contract? his is up in the summer as far as i know. Seems like an important one to nail down.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Why put Carr at FB ahead of Healy, and why drop Niyi?!?!

Because Carr is more experienced as FB than Healy, and I highly rate Parata and Robb, nothing against Niyi, that's why I put him as 24th man

Injury crisis not that bad in the end. We'll have to drop out of the teamsheet J.P Cooney and AhYou + two of Browne/Marshall/Roux + one of SOB/Connolly + two of Blade/Cooney/Porter + two of Robb/Parata/Carr/Niyi/Poolman. Nice dilemma to have;)

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Has Healy signed a new contract? his is up in the summer as far as i know. Seems like an important one to nail down.

Yes signed up until 2018.

• Advertisement

Heenan is not necessarily out for the season. it depends on our ability to go for play-off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Because Carr is more experienced as FB than Healy, and I highly rate Parata and Robb, nothing against Niyi, that's why I put him as 24th man

Not really that experienced there at all, played the odd game there for us and Blackrock RFC, and he's barely played this season never mind at fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Carr played fullback when he was a Leinster prospect but I'm pretty sure it was while they were weighing up the decision to keep him or Felix, I don't think there's any benefit in starting him there. A shame he never kept up the goalkicking because if he was still as good then there'd be a real benefit in starting him outside of his mesmerising hips.

Carr played fullback when he was a Leinster prospect but I'm pretty sure it was while they were weighing up the decision to keep him or Felix, I don't think there's any benefit in starting him there. A shame he never kept up the goalkicking because if he was still as good then there'd be a real benefit in starting him outside of his mesmerising hips.

He played there far more than Healy anyway. If Pat wants him to convert to FB he has the whole pre-season in july to train him. Not now in decisive games

Interested to see who Munster start at 10. Most of their supporters will want Holland but this is a game where Keatley might be the smart call in terms of his Sportsground experience especially if we have healy at full back who could be found wanting positionally with his inexperience. Keatley''s confidence seems to be on the floor though.

Using the fit players we have (and Poolman isn't one of them) I would suggest a backline of
    15 Henshaw
    14 Niyi
    13 Aki
    12 Robb
    11 Healy
    10 O'Leary
    9 Marmion
    against Munster. As Tony Ward said today there is no further justice in talking about Healys weaknesses. But as a team its important that you put out the strongest players available in the positions that give the team most strength against a team that will test that physicality. So while Healy did well at full back and Fionn did well on the wing vs Grenoble, next up is Munster. And we know this will be a physical battle because that is what Munster play. So Robbie is a physical full back, Bundee and Robb are a physical centre combination while Matt and Niyi will do their stuff on the wings as they have done in the past.

Its much like the Leinster game. You have to be prepared for the battle put in front of you. Healy was perfect at fullback against Grenoble because it suited the style of game. It is not a matter of always rolling out the same 15. Its a case by case basis. And for Munster I would suggest that the more physical backline as suggested above over a more dynamic line of
    15 Healy
    14 Niyi
    13 Aki
    12 Henshaw
    11 Carr
    10 O'Leary
    9 Marmion
    just makes more sense. And certainly not Carr at fullback. The fact that he has played so few games is a reasonable basis by itself.

Ya I'm leaning more towards the Henshaw at FB and Robb at inside centre - probably the safer option, especially against Munster who you'd expect will rain down Garryowens
    But id love Healy at FB with Carr and Niyi on Wings- also allow Bundee and Henshaw to get another run at centre (such a shame it could be one of the last times they partner eachother, unless Bundee gets in Irish Squad when IQ)

Its a pity that every game cant be Connacht vs Grenoble but you have to play whats put up against you :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Its a pity that every game cant be Connacht vs Grenoble but you have to play whats put up against you :-(

If I ever have to go through that again I blame you BILLY!

• Advertisement

If I ever have to go through that again I blame you BILLY!
    It was the best game of rugby I've watched in an age. Just a few silly mistakes cost us but as a spectacle it was up there with the best. Its strange I found the Leinster game was more heart-stopping. And yet that was only a 7-6 game. We can do it all in Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

We can do it all in Connacht

well apart from defend in minutes 1-70 :)

neelia11 wrote: »
    well apart from defend in minutes 1-70 :)
    There ya go neelia. You couldnt help yourself. You simply cant just sit back and enjoy what you are witnessing

There ya go neelia. You couldnt help yourself. You simply cant just sit back and enjoy what you are witnessing

I thoroughly enjoyed the game on saturday, the best game ive seen since the RWC, but ultimately the season is about trophies, and connacht missed one big opportunity IMO. If connacht really are to progress over the next few years to what they have the potential to do, the moral victory stuff needs to be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I thoroughly enjoyed the game on saturday, the best game ive seen since the RWC, but ultimately the season is about trophies, and connacht missed one big opportunity IMO. If connacht really are to progress over the next few years to what they have the potential to do, the moral victory stuff needs to be gone.

Actually the game was cancelled and a couple of hundred people from Connacht just went to Grenoble for a ski holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

He played there far more than Healy anyway. If Pat wants him to convert to FB he has the whole pre-season in july to train him. Not now in decisive games

But let's start another inexperienced full back I'm decisive games?

It's going to be Henshaw I'd imagine with Robb and Aki in the center

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    But let's start another inexperienced full back I'm decisive games?

It's going to be Henshaw I'd imagine with Robb and Aki in the center

Probably, but a lot of us want the Aki/Henshaw pairing one last time before 2017 when we'll see them together in the other green jersey...

Who's claiming a moral victory? Don't see any supporters doing so and guaranteed no one in the connacht set up is. What the media say is irrelevant.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Who's claiming a moral victory? Don't see any supporters doing so and guaranteed no one in the connacht set up is. What the media say is irrelevant.

Well ive seen plenty of people on facebook especially raving about the way connacht play, and some on here too. Bottom line is they blew big leads twice. Playing exhilarating rugby doesnt change that. They deserve praise for how they play but equally the reality is they lost because they refused to make a percentage play on 2-3 occasions.

There was no talk of moral victory in Grenoble - just of the top of my head Glasgow Away, Ospreys home and away, Scarlets home and away, Edinburgh away, Cardiff home and away were also all very exciting high scoring matches this season alone - Connacht fans are used to them :)
    It was the rugby media who were freaking out over it.
    Everyone sickened we lost from 2 winnable positions - but looking to rectify it vs a Munster side desperate for a win

I don't buy the "tired squad " alibi

Stats for pro12 (I know some players appeared in Ireland or Challenge games, but still give us a proper idea)

1520 potential minutes since September (19 rounds)

1) Buckley 1054
    2) McCartney 999
    3) Bealham 719
    4) Dillane 412
    5) Muldowey 1101
    6) SOB 331
    7) McKeon 654
    8 ) Muldoon 1372
    9) Marmion 923
    10) Carty 849
    11) Healy 1369
    12) Robb 242
    13) Aki 1509!!!!
    14) Niyi 577
    15) Henshaw 351 + 9 X 80 with Ireland = less than 1100

Aki is cleary overused. Healy and Muldoon on a lesser extent. The 12 other players likely to go for Munster were used less than 60 minutes per game average..No excuse, roll on the red army!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement