Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Great win last night and a welcome 2 week break to next match v Treviso. Hope Aki's knee will ok, was fairly hobbling on it when walking about post match. A rest for him in next match (not to take Treviso game totally for granted) might be an idea, played lot of games all season. Any updates/confirmation on Bealham injury, the ref seemed to think his jaw was broken after scoring his try. He'd be a massive loss and presume he'd be out for a while I presume if ref prognosis was correct.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

maroondog wrote: »
    Great win last night and a welcome 2 week break to next match v Treviso. Hope Aki's knee will ok, was fairly hobbling on it when walking about post match. A rest for him in next match (not to take Treviso game totally for granted) might be an idea, played lot of games all season. Any updates/confirmation on Bealham injury, the ref seemed to think his jaw was broken after scoring his try. He'd be a massive loss and presume he'd be out for a while I presume if ref prognosis was correct.
    13007202_10153651186823562_1539677446686197522_n.jpg?oh=ff30eaac69c008d1de8de0afc0db5739&oe=5776D35A

Must have just been a bang for Bealham, looks happy enough in this photo from full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Robbo wrote: »
    13007202_10153651186823562_1539677446686197522_n.jpg?oh=ff30eaac69c008d1de8de0afc0db5739&oe=5776D35A

Must have just been a bang for Bealham, looks happy enough in this photo from full time.

Yeah one of the best news of that fantastic game is that Aki and Bealham don't seem to have long-term injuries anyway
    I'd rest them for Treviso though as well as McCartney. White, Heffernan/JHW and Parata/Poolman (with Henshaw moved to 13) should be back and do the job in Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I don't think you can rest anyone for Treviso game. They will be targeting us as a win would get them Champions Cup, hiding something and money!

We hopefully have 4 games (and wins) left in us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

connachta wrote: »
    Yeah one of the best news of that fantastic game is that Aki and Bealham don't seem to have long-term injuries anyway
    I'd rest them for Treviso though as well as McCartney. White, Heffernan/JHW and Parata/Poolman (with Henshaw moved to 13) should be back and do the job in Italy

I don't think either of parata or poolman really play 12 do they? Robbie would have to shift to 12. I would love to see parata getting a go at 13, I think he has huge potential

Bazzo wrote: »
    I don't think either of parata or poolman really play 12 do they? Robbie would have to shift to 12. I would love to see parata getting a go at 13, I think he has huge potential

maybe, but what I proposed was 12 Robb 13 Henshaw 14 Poolman/Parata 15 Healy/Carr;)

maybe, but what I proposed was 12 Robb 13 Henshaw 14 Poolman/Parata 15 Healy/Carr;)

Oh right, misunderstood, sorry

ki wrote: »
    I don't think you can rest anyone for Treviso game. They will be targeting us as a win would get them Champions Cup, hiding something and money!

We hopefully have 4 games (and wins) left in us

I was the 1st one here to point Treviso will target us.
    BUT I still think Heffernan/JHW, White and Parata/Poolman may be interesting and motivated for that game, more than out of breath players, who'd risk to worsen their knocks at the crucial moment

One rest week before 3 (or 4) games to go, though. It's Lam's choice....

Oh right, misunderstood, sorry

No problem :) Opinion about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

How bad is the Aki knee injury?

• Advertisement

No problem :) Opinion about it?

I'd be fine with either of 12. Robb 13. Henshaw 14. Parata 15. Healy or 12. Robb 13. Parata 14. Niyi 15. Henshaw.

Now you mention it I get the feeling that Healy could absolutely rip treviso apart from 15. He looks like the ****ing road runner when he gets going with a bit of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

I'd be fine with either of 12. Robb 13. Henshaw 14. Parata 15. Healy or 12. Robb 13. Parata 14. Niyi 15. Henshaw.

Now you mention it I get the feeling that Healy could absolutely rip treviso apart from 15. He looks like the ****ing road runner when he gets going with a bit of space.

Probably Robb/Henshaw as a centre pairing. Really need to give Aki a rest, if ya can't do that v Treviso who can ya do it against. He's our stand out player in back 5, really want him fit and fresh for last home game v Glasgow.

maroondog wrote: »
    Probably Robb/Henshaw as a centre pairing. Really need to give Aki a rest, if ya can't do that v Treviso who can ya do it against. He's our stand out player in back 5, really want him fit and fresh for the two last home game v Glasgow.

FYP:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

The Treviso game does not have a bearing on our finishing position.
    If we beat Glasgow we are in the top two no matter what happens in Italy.
    If we win in Treviso and lose to Glasgow we will probably finish third(assuming Glasgow beat Zebre).

I'm not advocating throwing the game but it would be prudent to manage players and avoid injury to key players/positions.
    Aki defo needs a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Aki had the soft boot cast and crutches today. Said he would have a better idea of what was up in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I saw Aki in Electric Garden last night, a good few of the team were in there. He had a brace on his leg but he was walking ok, no crutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Apologies for the question I never renewed my season ticket for this season but will be for next season anyone have any ideas of the price for 2016/2017

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The Treviso game does not have a bearing on our finishing position.

Unless Leinster got 0 in Ravenhill in which case 5 in Italy and a BP v Glasgow would be enough. But that's unlikely. In any case Connacht have enough strength in depth to rotate and still push for the BP.

Carey off after 68th, need to sharpen his tackling technic but he's involved in the game. That's the spirit, coaches will build on it

• Advertisement

just afterward, watched Jerry Sexton playing with defeated and 99.99% relegated London Irish. He really is a fine player, would be happy to get him for Muldowney, and save some money for a big name n°8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

just afterward, watched Jerry Sexton playing with defeated and 99.99% relegated London Irish. He really is a fine player, would be happy to get him for Muldowney, and save some money for a big name n°8

Do we need a big name 8?. Mckeon and masterson are two quality units there and muldoon is more than able cover.

freyners wrote: »
    Do we need a big name 8?. Mckeon and masterson are two quality units there and muldoon is more than able cover.

Masterson is out till December in theory, and we're playing ChampionsCup FFS. Time to add a ball carrier inside our powerhouse. We need this to go to the next (international) level

freyners wrote: »

Yeah I don't get it either really. Naoupu is being let go because he's surplus to requirements. I think what we really need is a second row to replace Aly(not actually all that important if everyone can stay fit) and a winger/FB. We are very light on senior wingers next year, 3? senior wingers with a couple others who can cover isn't enough.

Yeah I don't get it either really. Naoupu is being let go because he's surplus to requirements. I think what we really need is a second row to replace Aly(not actually all that important if everyone can stay fit) and a winger/FB. We are very light on senior wingers next year, 3? senior wingers with a couple others who can cover isn't enough.

That why i think we need 3 signing no more.
    A 2nd row (I'd like Sexton or Sheriff)
    A n°8 as Naoupu and Masterson are out for the big October euro games, and we really miss someone to gain ground in contact
    A utility back for Carr/Api (but with Griffin, Leader and Gaffney, one will be enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Saw Bealham was interviewed after the match. His jaw seemed fine. No problem talking anyway.

• Advertisement

What is very very interesting for the end of the season is, as it is planned for now, our squad depth, assuming Aki and Bealham seem ok

Carty has two weeks of full-trainnig to be 100%
    Poolman, Roux, Marshall and Delahunt, as nothing was announced, should be there to contribute if needed
    White will be back soon after 3 weeks of RTP
    Both Ronaldson and McGinty are due, if not in Italy, for Glasgow last regular season game
    Heenan back in 3 weeks at worse for the semi-final,
    Exactly the same for TO'Halloran

You know how pessimistic I am (was), so if I raise the question, it's serious and ponderate : who could stop this team to reasonnbly hope for the title???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Finlays Jaw must be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Is he an Aussie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

What is very very interesting for the end of the season is, as it is planned for now, our squad depth, assuming Aki and Bealham seem ok

Carty has two weeks of full-trainnig to be 100%
    Poolman, Roux, Marshall and Delahunt, as nothing was announced, should be there to contribute if needed
    White will be back soon after 3 weeks of RTP
    Both Ronaldson and McGinty are due, if not in Italy, for Glasgow last regular season game
    Heenan back in 3 weeks at worse for the semi-final,
    Exactly the same for TO'Halloran

You know how pessimistic I am (was), so if I raise the question, it's serious and ponderate : who could stop this team to reasonnbly hope for the title???

Saw Quinn Roux in the barbers yesterday overheard him saying that tiernan should be back training this week and in contention for the Italy trip!

Is he an Aussie?

Born in Australia, with an Irish Granny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Aki was living on adrenalin. The real pain comes today. And that's when you find out how bad it is. Having seen similar in the past I worry about this injury. I am going to pass a minor negative on last night after watching the game (and this is also related to the Grenoble game). Shane keeps flinging the ball around without seeing whats happening around him. Yes Connacht fling the ball around but what I like about AJ is that he sees a danger and takes the ball into contact at the right time. Shane doesn't get that yet so we were left in some situations we really shouldn't have been in. And yes the media analysts are correct on this. There is a right time and a wrong time to move a ball. There is nothing wrong with moving a ball the way Connacht move a ball, you just need to make the right decision at the right time.

As for the whole pack. Was there a weakness at all. Sean O'Brien II is amazing, Eoin McKeown is amazing, John Muldoon is amazing, Aly Muldowney is amazing, Ultan Dillane is... stop the list goes on. And Denis Buckley. You de man.

Last concern is the front row replacements. Wasn't aware that Dave Heff was injured but the benched front row looked a bit thin. Otherwise what a feckin night. Guys ye are the best. Pat Lam was gas standing at the Munster posts towards the end. Don't think I have ever seen the likes for a manager. Proud as punch.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Saw Quinn Roux in the barbers yesterday overheard him saying that tiernan should be back training this week and in contention for the Italy trip!

Great news, will ease the Akirest!

11) Healy 12) Robb 13) Henshaw 14) Niyi 15) TOH 23) Poolman/Parata. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Great news, will ease the Akirest!

11) Healy 12) Robb 13) Henshaw 14) Niyi 15) TOH 23) Poolman/Parata. Perfect.

Will Henshaw have to be rested sometime under the Player Welfare Programme- or was him having to start on the bench vs Leinster the extent of it

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Will Henshaw have to be rested sometime under the Player Welfare Programme- or was him having to start on the bench vs Leinster the extent of it

I think they limit the number of games they play in the regular season. He missed 7 or 8 weeks over Christmas so he's probably not close to the cap anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just watched the game back now. Noticed Robb seemed to go off injured. Hopefully nothing serious.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Just watched the game back now. Noticed Robb seemed to go off injured. Hopefully nothing serious.

Looked like a glute/hamstring strain, he was trying to stretch it out a couple mins before.

Any chance when Robb puts in a big hit we can get a " you just got Robbed" chant going.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

Any chance when Robb puts in a big hit we can get a " you just got Robbed" chant going.....
    no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

one thing decided 'fields of athenry' are now our fields. always have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Looking at buying season ticket for next year.€249 for clan terrace looks great value but There's a€179 (Concession)option but can't seem to see what its for. Is this for existing ST holders or is it student etc??

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Looking at buying season ticket for next year.€249 for clan terrace looks great value but There's a€179 (Concession)option but can't seem to see what its for. Is this for existing ST holders or is it student etc??

Students and OAPs

Hoping the Bundee injury rumour isn't true :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The replay looked brutal and considering he limped off I await unfortunate news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

How bad is the rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He was in a lot of pain immediately after it happened but the fact he was able to play on (which was probably inadvisable) suggests not as serious as all that. The impact looked bad, but the type that would strain the medial collateral ligament, which would probably be season-ending but not long-term. I don't think his knee twisted so the cruciate ligaments should be ok, which would be the bigger worry with a knee injury. Torn meniscus could also be involved, but again that's a short term injury so he'd be back for start of the season. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Zzippy wrote: »
    He was in a lot of pain immediately after it happened but the fact he was able to play on (which was probably inadvisable) suggests not as serious as all that. The impact looked bad, but the type that would strain the medial collateral ligament, which would probably be season-ending but not long-term. I don't think his knee twisted so the cruciate ligaments should be ok, which would be the bigger worry with a knee injury. Torn meniscus could also be involved, but again that's a short term injury so he'd be back for start of the season. Fingers crossed!

What? Back for the start of next season is a good result?

Considering that would mean he'd miss some of the most important games in our history I think that news represents nothing short of a total disaster!

Is his injury definitely going to cause him to miss the rest of this season?

ClanofLams wrote: »
    How bad is the rumour?

Rumour is out for rest of season but thankfully it's just rumour with no real foundation.
    I probably shouldn't have said anything as could be getting people worried over nothing ha
    Just when I heard it I panicked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Rumour is out for rest of season but thankfully it's just rumour with no real foundation.
    I probably shouldn't have said anything as could be getting people worried over nothing ha
    Just when I heard it I panicked :D

I would have thought that would be the base case.
    it was bizarre that he was left on after the initial injury and I hope that didn't exacerbate it.

If he is back for the semi finals I would be delighted.
    However with Ronaldson and Tiernan due back soon we shouldn't start fearing anyone yet.

Ronaldson at 12 and Robbie at 13 is still a formidable centre pairing.
    Peter Robb has performed very well over the last few weeks as well.

We are spoilt with the players at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What? Back for the start of next season is a good result?

Considering that would mean he'd miss some of the most important games in our history I think that news represents nothing short of a total disaster!

Is his injury definitely going to cause him to miss the rest of this season?

It's a good result compared to the alternative of 8-10 months out if it's a torn cruciate! Anyway, chill the beans there, it was just speculation in the absence of any news. Probably be a couple of days before it settles down and scan results tell us what the prognosis is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

With fox, Heenan and Masterson out at the moment could One argue that our first choice back row are injured

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement