Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Barcelona, El Clasico, k/o 17:15 Sky Sports 2, SS1 RED button, Sky One

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

This one carries an awful lot of weight, its Madrid, they are nuts but Benitez is completely at odds with their style and he won't last long. Insane appointment of course.

Even if he wins La Liga, he'll be gone. Capello played similar type of football, won La Liga and still lost his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This one carries an awful lot of weight

He has never been known to be what one might call athletic but i dont see it as a reason to fire the man.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Messi is going to score you'd think, just has to happen

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Neymar is taking so many kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is that really a straight red?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

And the Real Madrid fans reflect the culture of their club, typically Madrid chanting the name of a player sent off for viciously kicking an opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

And the Real Madrid fans reflect the culture of their club, typically Madrid chanting the name of a player sent off for viciously kicking an opponent.

A horrible team supported by horrible supporters.

Should have been 5-0, awful finish with no pressure

Is that really a straight red?

Its not as if he just kicked his ankle on the way through he targeted the back of his knee and lashed out at him the ball was 2 yards away.. serious foul play.. red card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    What is your problem with him? Each to their own. It's no different from spamming with "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM GETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" which occurs here all the time.

Jesus. Not sure if your being sarcastic.
    Don't see where I was attacking him. His posting style is mental and cringey and absolutely loves barca, and I was joking.

Chill the **** out and put your balls back in your pants before you go calling me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pique wanting to rub salt in.

Bravo clearly the Barca no.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Terrible terrible miss by Munir wtf was that.

Strumms wrote: »
    Its not as if he just kicked his ankle on the way through he targeted the back of his knee and lashed out at him the ball was 2 yards away.. serious foul play.. red card.

It's a little kick out at a guy getting away from him, happens a lot and is usually described as "taking a yellow for the team".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

LOL at Busquets.

It's a little kick out at a guy getting away from him, happens a lot and is usually described as "taking a yellow for the team".

Ah come on.
    That was far from a yellow. He literally kicked at him and the ball was well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

It's a head-scratcher alright, Ronnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Not really, its not like he just clipped him to take him down and stifle the danger, he took a wild swing at him way off the ground and kicked him in the back of the knee.

There was nothing little about it. It wasnt a trip he lashed out with intent to hurt the other player. serious foul play so merited a red card

Ah come on.
    That was far from a yellow. He literally kicked at him and the ball was well gone.

Literally the scenario I just described.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

People claiming that was anything but a red ? Mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I suppose Ronaldo Will still believe he is the best footballer in the world as he said to Alan Greene,BBC World Service recently.

Look at that squad of players clad in blaugrana, that's a group of friends, that's a team, that is a collective. The contrast between Real Madrid and Barcelona is stark in that respect. Real Madrid a group of individuals desperately trying to match Barcelona and weighed down by the historic shirt they wear. Ultimately, Barcelona will always beat Real Madrid because of that commitment to the collective, because Barcelona always have a cause and because good always beats evil.

Just a few mentions. Iniesta my motm today, on the turf upon which Zidane graced tonight we saw the modern day Zidane run the game, Xavi might be gone but his mate had picked up the baton and is the buzzing metronome of this team.
    Today we saw why it is Neymar, not Ronaldo, who is closest to Messi. The Brazilian is the epitome of child-like wonder and imagination embodied. He is pure joy.
    Finally it's Busquets, the enforcer is as good a big match player as any of his generation, his value simply can't be calculated.

What a game, evoking memories of Pep's 5-0 and 6-2 triumphs. There is no limit to what Barcelona can achieve, Real Madrid given a lesson as to what football, Real football, truly is. Visca El Barça!

I suppose Ronaldo Will still believe he is the best footballer in the world as he said to Alan Greene,BBC World Service recently.

There's 4-5 players better than him right now playing for Barcelona tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The amount of times he disappears in big matches is unreal at this stage. He's had a few good ones, but is largely anonymous in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Red Kev wrote: »
    The amount of times he disappears in big matches is unreal at this stage. He's had a few good ones, but is largely anonymous in them.

Not his biggest fan but its not really true tbh. He's been immense on many many occasions. Sure Messi has had poor games in big games and he's the greatest footballer in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just back from the pub and here are my thoughts. Barcelona were awesome tonight, iniestas goal was something else. As for Madrid there is too many passengers on their team, i dont know how many times i have seen kroos do absolutely nothing, bale has been nothing short of the biggest flop in sports history and Ronaldos career is in decline. Isco and james need to start regularly and also the subbing of Marcelo, was he injured? As i didnt think he was playing bad.

bale has been nothing short of the biggest flop in sports history

There's the teeniest, tiniest, hint of hyperbole off of this.

Real players looked badly unmotivated, whether it's them or the manager, the latter will pay the price ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Not a lot Ronaldo can do playing up top when every one behind him is getting played off the park. Had two great chances to score but in fairness to the keeper, he pulled off two absolutely fantastic saves.

I just want to put a kind of finishing note on this. Barcelona were in the absolute doldrums for quite a period of time pre Laporta, on and off the pitch it lagged behind its rivals, the potential was obvious but it was unfulfilled. After Rijkaard's fairly successful reign it was when Pep arrived in 2008 that everything came together. This game puts the club's achievements these last 7 years into perspective, to destroy Real Madrid 5-0, 6-2, 4-0 is remarkable, to win the trophies Barça have won compared to Real Madrid's haul in the same time frame is almost unimaginable especially taking into account the billions Real Madrid have spent trying to keep pace with Barça. You talk about the distinctive style, the reliance on academy products in that time and it makes it all even more special. FC Barcelona have without doubt been the premier team of the 21st century, they've proven to be more than just a club.

I just want to put a kind of finishing note on this. Barcelona were in the absolute doldrums for quite a period of time pre Laporta, on and off the pitch it lagged behind its rivals, the potential was obvious but it was unfulfilled. After Rijkaard's fairly successful reign it was when Pep arrived in 2008 that everything came together. This game puts the club's achievements these last 7 years into perspective, to destroy Real Madrid 5-0, 6-2, 4-0 is remarkable, to win the trophies Barça have won compared to Real Madrid's haul in the same time frame is almost unimaginable especially taking into account the billions Real Madrid have spent trying to keep pace with Barça. You talk about the distinctive style, the reliance on academy products in that time and it makes it all even more special. FC Barcelona have without doubt been the premier team of the 21st century, they've proven to be more than just a club.

Plenty of money spent by Barcelona in that time frame. Plenty of shady money too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Plenty of money spent by Barcelona in that time frame. Plenty of shady money too.

Not at all, the likes of Neymar and Suarez don't even take a wage sure!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Not nearly as much as Real Madrid. Let's also not forget Barcelona's massive contribution to the national team in this time period too. You can try throwing stones all you like, you simply can't throw high enough to reach Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

because Barcelona always have a cause and because good always beats evil.

Jaysus

What if I made a stone throwing contraption?
    Reckon I could hit them between the eyes then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Not nearly as much as Real Madrid. Let's also not forget Barcelona's massive contribution to the national team in this time period too. You can try throwing stones all you like, you simply can't throw high enough to reach Barcelona.

Since 2010, Barca have spent more money than Madrid.

Since 2010, Barca have spent more money than Madrid.

Ohhhhhh you're back. That must have been devastating for you to watch, each pass a piercing slash to your skin, every flowing move a painful reminder that no matter what you say you can't deny the greatness of this club.

Ohhhhhh you're back. That must have been devastating for you to watch, each pass a piercing slash to your skin, every flowing move a painful reminder that no matter what you say you can't deny the greatness of this club.

Real Madrid are an equally great club.

What if I made a stone throwing contraption?
    Reckon I could hit them between the eyes then.

Think of Barcelona as being like the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk, they are above the clouds, beyond belief, no contraption can harm them.

Real Madrid are an equally great club.

The Franco backed Madrid were voted the greatest club of the 20th century thanks to the favouritism shown to them from the dictator and they government funded reign as kings of Europe. The 20th century is over, the 21st century is Barcelona's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

because Barcelona always have a cause and because good always beats evil.

In this metaphor, good is the one that took money from Qatar to help clean up their image as a country who likes to stone people to death?

• Advertisement

Think of Barcelona as being like the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk, they are above the clouds, beyond belief, no contraption can harm them.

Are the taxman, jack in tht analogy?
    Coming in stealing all the unpaid tax?

The Franco backed Madrid were voted the greatest club of the 20th century thanks to the favouritism shown to them from the dictator and they government funded reign as kings of Europe. The 20th century is over, the 21st century is Barcelona's.

The 21st century is only 15 years old.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    In this metaphor, good is the one that took money from Qatar to help clean up their image as a country who likes to stone people to death?

Yes Barça are sponsored by Qatar, I mean you can spin any sponsorship deal to sound bad can't you?

But go ahead try to get your digs in but I fear it's pointless because your arms are just too short to box with God.

Helped in no small part by the favouritism shown to them, and Madrid, by the RFEF which allows them negotiate their own TV rights thus screwing the rest of La Liga out of their fair share of TV money and ensures La Liga will, for the most part, remain a 2 horse race.

Are the taxman, jack in tht analogy?
    Coming in stealing all the unpaid tax?

In that analogy there is no Jack. Sure Real Madrid try to climb the beanstalk and sometimes they even get close to the top but they simply can't do it, they can't match us.

Erm, I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure the giant dies in that story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Jesus. Not sure if your being sarcastic.
    Don't see where I was attacking him. His posting style is mental and cringey and absolutely loves barca, and I was joking.

Chill the **** out and put your balls back in your pants before you go calling me out.

Calling him "mental" is most certainly attacking him. Don't be acting all innocent now Rex. His posting style is no less cringey than the diehard United/Pool/Arsenal/Chelsea fans who post some absolute drivel too...one that crosses my mind earlier was someone wishing an opposition would get broken in half. If that isn't "mental and cringey" I do not know what is.

Just because AIG posts using complex vocabulary and lots of superlatives doesn't mean he's fair game for abuse. It's immature and seems around here like it's a "cool kids" kind of thing do do to subtly insult him in any thread he's in. If you don't like a poster, put him on ignore, but snide little jabs here and there is weak and is a form of bullying.

And the irony of your last statement is fantastic. Sort that ego of yours out.

The 21st century is only 15 years old.

It's been an amazing 15 years, here's to 85 more years of Barcelona domination.

In that analogy there is no Jack. Sure Real Madrid try to climb the beanstalk and sometimes they even get close to the top but they simply can't do it, they can't match us.

They have more league and European titles. Barcelona still playing catch up with them.

• Advertisement

Erm, I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure the giant dies in that story.

Forget that part of the story, it doesn't apply here, in this modern re-telling of the story the giant lives forever, reigning from on high.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement