Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas party nibbles ideas?

Options
  • 21-11-2015 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

I have a tradition with friends of having a decorate my Christmas tree party in December (started after my marriage ended) and I usually pick up some supermarket frozen nibbles and just bake them and make some honey mustard and sesame seed cocktail sausages but I'd like to try making my own stuff this year. Prawns and cheese are no nos due to allergies of my guests. Any easy ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I do a range of sossie stuff that's always well received:
    sausages baked in the oven (in tinfoil) to which I add )once they are browned (and close the tinfoil and bake for another ten mins) 1. Ballymaloe Relish 2 Hoi-Sin sauce 3 Sweet and sour sauce. You could also do sossies wrapped in rashers.

Buy some vol au vents cases and add your choice of fillings- sweet or savoury (Mushroom in a sauce, chicken with mushroom/bacon, cheese auce)

Crackers with a nice cheese and chutney on top (or Supervalu red onion relish)

Mince pies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

sausages baked in the oven (in tinfoil) to which I add )once they are browned (and close the tinfoil and bake for another ten mins) 1. Ballymaloe Relish 2 Hoi-Sin sauce 3 Sweet and sour sauce. You could also do sossies wrapped in rashers.

Buy some vol au vents cases and add your choice of fillings- sweet or savoury (Mushroom in a sauce, chicken with mushroom/bacon, cheese auce)

Mince pies

Thanks. Some great ideas there. I love the idea of Ballymaloe relish and sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Unroll premade filo pastry, layer with sliced tomatoes, slivers of red onion, then put some torn mozzeralla on top and drizzle with pesto. Doesn't take long to bake. Then just cut into squares.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Bord Bia have a few ideas in their "party bites" suggestions, recipes here:

http://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/recipes/christmas/pages/partybites.aspx

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Unroll premade filo pastry, layer with sliced tomatoes, slivers of red onion, then put some torn mozzeralla on top and drizzle with pesto. Doesn't take long to bake. Then just cut into squares.

Thanks but cheese is a no no due to allergies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chicory cups with roast beetroot, orange and hazelnuts.

Beetroot
    Orange
    Chicory
    Hazelnuts
    Crème fraîche

Roast beetroot wrapped in double layer of foil with a little fresh thyme, garlic and olive oil until soft - 90 minutes or longer at 180c. Unwrap, leave to cool slightly, peel while still warm using disposable gloves to rub the skins off. Strain the juices from the foil parcel and keep. Dice the beetroot and dress with the juices.

Peel and segment an orange and cut into pieces roughly the same size as the beetroot. Toast hazelnuts in the oven for about 5 minutes. If they are in their papery skins, put them in a clean tea towel and rub to remove the skins. Bash them up into smaller pieces. Mix with the orange and beetroot.

Pull the leaves from a chicory bulb, mix a tablespoon of vodka with the Crème fraîche and add to the chicory cup. Pile on the beetroot, orange, hazelnut mix and arrange on a plate.

Should look something like this:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/beet-salad-cups/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

This is a must, for those with a sweet tooth,

Buy a few packets of rolo, a packet of small pretzels and some salted nuts, pistachios usually.

Put the pretzels on a baking sheet, top with a rolo,

Stick in a hot oven, no more than a minute, take out, stick a nut in the top while still hot.

Watch them carefully in the oven, you only want then to melt enough to pop a nut in the top easily,

Otherwise is a mush to clean,

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

bbcgoodfood site have loads of ideas if you put 'canapés', 'bites', or 'nibbles' into their search engine! I love that site as you can use the filters to select highest rated recipes, no. of servings, vegetarian. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Mince pies

Ooh, can I come to your house? :P

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    This is a must, for those with a sweet tooth,

Buy a few packets of rolo, a packet of small pretzels and some salted nuts, pistachios usually.

Put the pretzels on a baking sheet, top with a rolo,

Stick in a hot oven, no more than a minute, take out, stick a nut in the top while still hot.

Watch them carefully in the oven, you only want then to melt enough to pop a nut in the top easily,

Otherwise is a mush to clean,

Sounds amazing. Do these need to be served straight away or can they be made in advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

If your looking for something sweet for afterwards have a look at this from the cooking club
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057426031/1
    It is the easiest thing youll ever make, its almost like cheating.
    On the second page i have a pic of them done in plastic shot glasses and chocolate fingers to use as spoons.
    The shot glasses can be gotten in most €2 stores or the bigger tescos.
    Most of the ingredients can he gotten in lidl for about €4/5 but the vanilla pods will need to be gotten elsewhere. Dunnes, tesco etc will have them tho.
    Their absolutley delicious and you can tell people they took hours to make......when in reality it was only 5/6 mins from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

athtrasna wrote: »
    Sounds amazing. Do these need to be served straight away or can they be made in advance?

You can make these in advance, I tried them out in work and they loved them, it's the salty sweet combo most people like.

I rate bbc good food website too, always a go to place for me when looking for ideas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Cakerbaker wrote: »

Do you mean just as it is, without separating the layers and putting oil or butter on them? Would it not just be a lump of stodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

katydid wrote: »
    Do you mean just as it is, without separating the layers and putting oil or butter on them? Would it not just be a lump of stodge?

I suspect they meant puff pastry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I like make ahead cold ones as well hot ones, just so you are not waiting by the oven the whole evening.

Beef bites. Thinly sliced roast beef on a herb cracker with a dollop of horseradish creme fraiche on top. If you're in cork, do this with local spiced beef instead.

Roasted pepper bruschetta: toasted slices of baguette with pesto, some rocket and roasted red peppers. Works with semi sun dried tomatoes or salami as well. If your cheese-avoiding friend can stand being in the same room as other people who eat cheese, you could also put cheese on some of them. ;)

Smoked salmon and cucumber on a mini scone.

Salad wrap. Make your favourite salad... Ceasar, nicoise, whatever. Put it in a tortilla wrap, slice into pieces.

Pate on crackers is a classic. Make it fancy by using interesting crackers (those charcoal ones you get in posh cheese shops are mad looking)

Keep it simple, two or three things done well is better than killing yourself with loads of stuff.

Don't forget the mince pies! :)

Advertisement