Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet troubles

Options
  • 21-11-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone here can help, as ive searched a bit on the web for an answer but none helped. Mods feel free to move to more appropriate forum.

Running windows 10, internet used to work fine on PC. Using wifi card. The past week or 2 im having an issue with my internet. Everything works fine when downloading a game through Steam, getting good connection, downloads at 2-4MB/s. But on Firefox it seems to only give me a 30 second connection then drops to no connection at all. Even though it shows I have a strong signal, im just not getting any data to flow. The trouble shooter comes up with "the remote device or resource wont accept the connection".

After some suggestions I found on google, ive tried restored my internet settings as suggested. Didnt work.
    Ive also tried made sure my LAN proxy settings was turned off and to auto detect settings, as numerous websites suggested. Didnt seem to help.

Worth mentioning that every other device in the house is working fine off the same wifi; phones, tablets, laptop, smart tv. So it must be a problem with this PC, or just some setting that needs to be turned on or off.

I thought it might be that im on wifi at first and to get a homeplug, but because non-browser applications arent having any problems, it cant be that.

Anyone any advice? If you need more info for a more accurate diagnosis let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

try Reboot hold f8 tap it, til safe mode menu appears .
    Use arrow keys ,up ,down , enter to select safe mode .
    PC will loadup at 1024x768 ,use basic vga grahics drivers .
    it will use basic drivers to load .
    Then click on chrome, internet explorer .try and browse the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Try Chrome and see if same problem arises

Try this 1.

1) Click on Start menu --> In search box, type cmd --> Then "CMD" will be displayed in

the search --> Now right-click on "CMD" ---> Select "Run as administrator".

2) Now enter this command from the dos prompt

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Press "Enter".

3) Reboot your computer

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/a/command-prompt-windows-7.htm

type

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Press "Enter".

wait a few seconds ,

type exit , to close window .

or J ust switch off router , modem ,
    for 2 minutes .
    turn it on see if the browsers ,chrome , ie can acess the web

This resets the pc,s ip adress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Thanks for the replies. Only getting back on the pc now, and it all seems to be working fine, connection holding up fine.

The only thing I can think of, up until the last week or 2 I used to always shut down PC, then turn off at PSU and then turn off at the wall too. But the past week or 2 I didnt do any of that. Then last night I did it for some reason and today all seems fine.

So would cutting the constant power supply to the PC have somehow reset something, perhaps the IP?

If the same problem comes back I will know what to try first though, thank you.

When you switch off the pc,
    you reset the ip adress,
    switching off the modem will do the same thing.
    turn on the pc,
    the isp allocates you a new random ip adress .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Is that when you switch off the PC just by shutting it down, but still leaving its power supply on?
    Or does it only reset when power to PC is cut completely?

The first option is what ive been doing the last couple weeks and been getting problems.
    Second option is what I did last night and seems better today.

Advertisement