Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Pricing

• 21-11-2015 8:14pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question. Where is the cheapest place to buy the iPhone 6? It's to be used in the UK so I will be buying it SIM free or just getting it unlocked. I assume different networks have different pricing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Amazon or straight from Apple

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

biko wrote: »
    Amazon or straight from Apple

High rated sellers on Amazon and I assume that wouldn't be an issue for warranty?

Apple direct - assumed they'd point you towards a reseller tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From a Marketplace seller? Yeah warranty would likely be an issue. And if you experience problems after the warranty, that would be an issue as well.

SIM-free phones sold by the networks are locked, so if you want it unlocked Apple is the best and in most cases only option:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6

Unless you find somewhere such as Argos selling refurbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I got mine sim free from Argos for 759 I think and then have a family member working there so got 10% off that, that was for 64GB.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aeternum wrote: »
    I got mine sim free from Argos for 759 I think and then have a family member working there so got 10% off that, that was for 64GB.

Working out more expensive than Apple at a quick glance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Sully wrote: »
    Working out more expensive than Apple at a quick glance!

Same price that I can see on Apple.ie for the 64GB. Worked out cheaper with the staff discount of course, and I find Argos great for returns. They generally will replace the unit if the fault can be replicated in store rather then send it away for testing which can be handy if you don't want to be without a phone.

Compu B are stocking iPhones now too, not sure of the prices though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Adverts.ie. You'll find unwanted upgrades in sealed boxes for a good price, try look for a Vodafone one then get it unlocked on eBay for under 20 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

naasrd wrote: »
    Adverts.ie. You'll find unwanted upgrades in sealed boxes for a good price, try look for a Vodafone one then get it unlocked on eBay for under 20 euros.

Out of curiosity, how are these sellers managing this? Known contact in Vodafone processing the unlocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Out of curiosity, how are these sellers managing this? Known contact in Vodafone processing the unlocks?

I've always wondered it too. With Vodafone I can unlock 3 phones per year on my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

Don't all networks have to unlock phones for free after EU ruling a few years ago?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ec18 wrote: »
    Don't all networks have to unlock phones for free after EU ruling a few years ago?

Once the contract is paid, or the PAYG T&Cs completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

If you're ever passing through the airport, dixons have them sim free, I know the 6s is currently €699 base model, not sure on the 6 I can check.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Apple friends and family discount is 17% so if you knew someone working there that would be a nice saving alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

From a Marketplace seller? Yeah warranty would likely be an issue. And if you experience problems after the warranty, that would be an issue as well.

SIM-free phones sold by the networks are locked, so if you want it unlocked Apple is the best and in most cases only option:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6

Unless you find somewhere such as Argos selling refurbs.

Eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

laoisfan wrote: »
    Eh?

People often use the two terms interchangeably, but SIM-free doesn't mean unlocked. It only means it isn't sold with a SIM. It might still be locked to a particular network (like with prepay upgrades) or even set to lock to the network of the first SIM inserted (like some phones including iPhones sold by Carphone Warehouse).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Apple friends and family discount is 17% so if you knew someone working there that would be a nice saving alright.

Probably the cheapest option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

5% discount on iPhone in compuB today: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057528129/1/#post97866397

Advertisement