Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little Known Rules and Common Misconceptions of the Rules of the Road for ALL users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

GM228 wrote: »
    Yes you are correct, (I forgot about that!).

So I suppose the correct thing to say is most tractors can't legally use a motorway.

GM228

Ok, so seeing as some tractors may be permitted to use a motorway, I'll re-ask my question from a few days ago (with a little bit more added in):

What if there is a tractor travelling along a two lane motorway at its top speed of (for example) 60kmph and an articulated truck or coach bears up behind it. Does the truck or coach have to wait until the tractor exits because it's not allowed into lane two, thereby potentially leading to a long convoy of coaches and trucks forced to travel at whatever the slowest vehicle may be, in this example, a tractor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

highdef wrote: »
    Ok, so seeing as some tractors may be permitted to use a motorway, I'll re-ask my question from a few days ago (with a little bit more added in):

What if there is a tractor travelling along a two lane motorway at its top speed of (for example) 60kmph and an articulated truck or coach bears up behind it. Does the truck or coach have to wait until the tractor exits because it's not allowed into lane two, thereby potentially leading to a long convoy of coaches and trucks forced to travel at whatever the slowest vehicle may be, in this example, a tractor?

Simplest answer is...Yes it does.

It's a very common complaint in the UK,wherever Truckers congregate,as the Rozzers are far more commonly found over there.

The only possible "Out" would be to regard the Slow-Moving Tractor as an obstruction,which would bring a smile to many a Soilcitors lips.

It's totally open for debate until a Court establishes a precedent.

Mind you,with the almost total lack of Garda Traffic Corps resources,it's unlikely the transgression would be officially noted ?

NB: This situation IS one of the most serious Motorway Safety issues with significant potential for Injury and Fatality,often due to drivers hesitating and making last minute decisions based upon stress related pressures.
    Definitely an idea which sounded great at the time,but which was always a crock of shytte in the real world.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Legally no, there is no exception to enter the right lane unless there is an obstruction, slow moving traffic is not an obstruction, it is something that should be looked at in the future.

I have seen a consultation somewhere (can't remember where-think from the RSA) last year to the DTTS recommending tractors be banned full stop.

GM228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

How many pedestrians realise that they are not permitted to cross a road on a flashing green pedestrian light at a pelican crossing?

Not much else to say here except just to clarify contrary to what some believe that a yellow light does not mean go faster and a red light does not mean only stop in daylight or if there is no other traffic – also traffic lights apply to ALL road users including cyclists, drovers etc. Oh and by the way, green doesn’t actually mean simply “go”, it means go if the road ahead is clear!

What about the cattle and sheep that are with the "drover":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Completely agree that tractors should be banned from motorways, full stop. Especially as it causes late/heavy braking because so many people cannot read ahead of them and know that if they see a tractor (or any type of vehicle for that matter) ahead, speed should be adjusted to a relevant level if required, depending on the current traffic levels, weather conditions, lighting, etc but as mentioned, due to drivers hesitating and making last minute decisions because they did not read ahead, such slow moving vehicles can be the root cause of incidents.

Even a minimum of 80kmph is still too slow for a motorway with a 120 limit. As HGVs can travel at up to 90kmph, then maybe this should be set as the minimum speed that must be attained.

But alas, as we all know, none of this really matters because these things are completely under policed and enforced.

Completely agree that tractors should be banned from motorways, full stop. Especially as it causes late/heavy braking because so many people cannot read ahead of them and know that if they see a tractor (or any type of vehicle for that matter) ahead, speed should be adjusted to a relevant level if required, depending on the current traffic levels, weather conditions, lighting, etc but as mentioned, due to drivers hesitating and making last minute decisions because they did not read ahead, such slow moving vehicles can be the root cause of incidents.

Even a minimum of 80kmph is still too slow for a motorway with a 120 limit. As HGVs can travel at up to 90kmph, then maybe this should be set as the minimum speed that must be attained.

But alas, as we all know, none of this really matters because these things are completely under policed and enforced.

HGVs can not go over 80 km/h unless they weight more than 3.5 ton.

Here's something else to note, whilst buses in general are allowed to travel at 100 km/h on a motorway or dual carriageway, a Dublin Bus for example (i.e a bus designed to allow standing) can not legally travel over 65 km/h on a motorway or ANY other roadway.

And plenty of Dublin Bus routes use motorways AFAIK.

In relation to speeds of trailers mentioned earlier, certain trailers (O3 and O4 i.e 3.5-10 ton) can be hauled at 90 km/h on a motorway by a van, bus etc which weights over 3.5 ton.

GM228

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    What about the cattle and sheep that are with the "drover":D

Guard to Judge: When questioned about the alleged breaking of the red light, the defendants said "baaaaaa" :)

GM228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No vehicle may stop on a motorway for any reason except if there is an obstruction, break down/accident or a service area (which I suppose is off the motorway).

Also to note if involved in an accident on a motorway you are required (if possible) to move your vehicle to the hard shoulder, many don't realise that and leave their vehicles as is!

GM228
    What about traffic lights on motorways?
    You've to stop at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Owryan wrote: »
    One that bugs me and i see it every day, using hard shoulders as an extra lane on the road. Often used imo by people who dont feel capable of driving on those big nasty roads. Also, everyday i see people using hard shoulders to exit T-junctions, instead of waiting till it is safe to pull out

The exiting T Junctions one really bugs me, it's not a bloody on-ramp.

The worst offenders are the ones who do it turning right, they shoot across oncoming traffic and into the opposite shoulder to trundle along until they get an actual gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

HGVs can not go over 80 km/h!

Here's something else to note, whilst buses in general are allowed to travel at 100 km/h on a motorway or dual carriageway, a Dublin Bus for example (i.e a bus designed to allow standing) can not legally travel over 65 km/h on a motorway!

And plenty of Dublin Bus routes use motorways AFAIK.

In relation to speeds of trailers mentioned earlier, certain trailers (O3 and O4 i.e 3.5-10 ton) can be hauled at 90 km/h on a motorway by a van, bus etc which weights over 3.5 ton.

GM228

Commercial Vehicles (Over 3.5 Tonnes) can,since April 2012,travel at 90kmh on Motorways.

All Dublin Bus vehicles are fitted with Speed Limiters set to 65Kmh.
    Certain Bus Eireann Double Deck vehicles are NOT plated for standing passengers and as a result can travel at 100 Kmh on Motorways. (These particular vehicles will look no different from the outside).

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

What about traffic lights on motorways?
    You've to stop at them

What motorways have traffic lights?

GM228

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Commercial Vehicles (Over 3.5 Tonnes) can,since April 2012,travel at 90kmh on Motorways.

All Dublin Bus vehicles are fitted with Speed Limiters set to 65Kmh.
    Certain Bus Eireann Double Deck vehicles are NOT plated for standing passengers and as a result can travel at 100 Kmh on Motorways. (These particular vehicles will look no different from the outside).

Yes my bad, N2 and N3 HGVs can do 90 km/h (post edited).

That's what I said, buses can do 100 km/h, but if they are "designed" to carry standing passengers they can't go over 65 km/h, it dosn't specify if they are actually carrying standing passengers or not, just that they are designed to.

GM228

What motorways have traffic lights?

GM228

M1, M50, for starters, then there are the tolls, which are a separate exception.

M1, M50, for starters, then there are the tolls, which are a separate exception.

But they are not specifically on the motorway, they are on slip roads, roundabouts etc, i.e entry/exit points of a motorway.

In anycase if lights were present on a motorway then you couldn't ignore them just because by law you can't stop on a motorway, by law you must also obey a traffic light, the most restrictive rule would apply.

The barrier of a toll booth is an obstruction of a lane until you pay your toll and it lifts and as such is covered by existing law.

GM228

The lights on the m1 are not at an entrance or exit, while the lights on the m50 are on the mainline

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I can't think where you mean, can you be more specific?

I can't think where you mean, can you be more specific?

I'm just wondering if it is the lights off the M50/M1 near the port tunnel? Is this actually a motorway though? There is an 80 km/h limit there IIRC, but no motorway end boards including the road off the tunnel lanes, but IIRC that is the official end point of the motorway or is the tunnel officially part of the M50?

Arn't those lights special lights to stop/regulate traffic entering the tunnel?

GM228

EDIT: Answered my own question in subsequent post.

There's traffic lights on the M1 where the M1 N/S meets the M1 E/W near Dublin Airport.

There's traffic lights on the M50 near the tunnel portal just south of the r104, and all along the underground bit of the M50 mainline until it crosses under the Tolka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I'm just wondering if it is the lights off the M50/M1 near the port tunnel? Is this actually a motorway though? There is an 80 km/h limit there IIRC, but no motorway end boards including the road off the tunnel lanes, but IIRC that is the official end point of the motorway or is the tunnel officially part of the M50?

Arn't those lights special lights to stop/regulate traffic entering the tunnel? Most likely covered by a FCC bye-law.

GM228

The Port Tunnel is part of the M50 (why I don't know.. It caused all sorts of problems when I worked there. Should have been marked as the M1).

It is marked as motorway at the Eastwall end..

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3530711,-6.2241775,3a,75y,38.78h,95.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCrLePgmAKUnt58AUiC3O6w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The idea of it being a motorway was to stop L drivers/ mopeds etc using it. You mess up on a N road, you are in a field. In the Port Tunnel you mess up and you are bouncing off walls and anyone else that is next to you.

We were always told that there would be no speeding tickets in the tunnel... It would be a automatic dangerous driving charge. (and when I worked there, most people stopped left in the back of a Garda jeep).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Right of way is given to vehicles going downhill 'coz they find it longer/harder to stop.

• Advertisement

lalababa wrote: »
    Right of way is given to vehicles going downhill 'coz they find it longer/harder to stop.

That does not apply in Ireland. Trust me I have looked. Its a UK law.

There is no laws regarding right of way on single track roads. Its all courtesy.

Now I have had a few incidents on the motorbike, where Mr Jeepman comes gungho down the road. If I ended up in the ditch, I could report them for careless driving etc. (proving it is an issue)

It's not even a UK law, there you give way as a matter of courtesy to heavy vehicles going uphill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

It's actually supposed to be: "Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can." on single-track roads only. It's Rule 155 of the UK's Highway Code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

dubscottie wrote: »
    The Port Tunnel is part of the M50 (why I don't know.. It caused all sorts of problems when I worked there. Should have been marked as the M1).

It is marked as motorway at the Eastwall end..

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3530711,-6.2241775,3a,75y,38.78h,95.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCrLePgmAKUnt58AUiC3O6w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The idea of it being a motorway was to stop L drivers/ mopeds etc using it. You mess up on a N road, you are in a field. In the Port Tunnel you mess up and you are bouncing off walls and anyone else that is next to you.
    It might be in anticipation of the Eastern bypass, where we would have a full orbital, all of which would be the M50 presumably.

My rule of the road gripe is mini-roundabouts. There is one in particular I go through every day where most drivers and cyclists think whoever gets to it first has right-of-way.

There's traffic lights on the M1 where the M1 N/S meets the M1 E/W near Dublin Airport

There's traffic lights on the M50 near the tunnel portal just south of the r104, and all along the underground bit of the M50 mainline until it crosses under the Tolka.

Carawaystick you really wore out my thinking cap regarding the lights on a motorway! Whilst there is no law saying a traffic light can't be placed on a motorway, there is also no exemption in the law to allow you stop on a motorway to obey a traffic light and there's no exemption in the law to allow you ignore a traffic light either so a conflict arises.

Whilst you can't stop on a motorway for a light you also can't ignore a light. Generally if there is a clash the law which is most restrictive would apply, but I had to think further about that, it would mean you are breaking one law specifically to abide by another which you can't do! For anyone who is done breaking that light near the Port Tunnel you could probably get away with it on a few technicalities if it were actually a motorway, however it is not technically a motorway.

Hope this will explain!

On the M1 I take it you are talking about the lights at J1 where you can exit the M1 and enter the M50, those lights are not on a motorway, they are on a link road between two motorways, the link road and also the road near the Port Tunnel actually arn't motorways, they can't be as they don't conform to motorway standards etc.

As dubscottie pointed out the Port Tunnel is part of the M50, but t isn't actually a motorway.

To be a motorway the roads need to satisfy the NRA motorway standards (D2M and D2UM I believe) with certain permissible lane widths and a dual carriageway which is at least 2.5m wide.

The M50 as a motorway ends before the traffic lights, but the M50 as a road continues into the tunnel even with the M prefix. The Bye-Laws concerning that section of the road and into the Port Tunnel do infact provide for motorway rules, but only insofar as prohibition of entey to vehicles relates as dubscottie pointed out and that is why it has the M prefix retained, the other rules don't apply as technically the road is actually a dual carriageway with one provision of motorway rules applied.

In that sense technically a truck can overtake in that section of the road subject to the road markings.

plodder wrote: »
    It might be in anticipation of the Eastern bypass, where we would have a full orbital, all of which would be the M50 presumably.

My rule of the road gripe is mini-roundabouts. There is one in particular I go through every day where most drivers and cyclists think whoever gets to it first has right-of-way.

Mini-roundabouts are the exact same as normal roundabouts as far as the rules are concerned, and yes for some reason a lot of people treat them differently to standard roundabouts!

lalababa wrote: »

As pointed out that is not the case, infact there could be instances where it is actually the opposite as yielding does not take into account of hills.

With regards right of way this is the case:-

When you are staring off from a stationary position you must yield right of way to all traffic (including pedestrians for all further examples).

When exiting private lands you must yield right of way to all traffic.

When changing lanes or joining lanes you must yield right of way to any traffic already in that lane.

When a stop/yield sign is present you must yield to all traffic, only difference between the two is you must actually stop first with a stop sign irrespective of if there is any other traffic or not.

If no stop/yield sign you must yield to all traffic if the road ahead is a major road.

If no stop/yield sign you must yield to traffic approaching from your right on another road if the roads are of equal importance.

As pointed out that is not the case, infact there could be instances where it is actually the opposite as yielding does not take into account of hills.

With regards right of way this is the case:-

When you are staring off from a stationary position you must yield right of way to all traffic (including pedestrians for all further examples).

When exiting private lands you must yield right of way to all traffic.

When changing lanes or joining lanes you must yield right of way to any traffic already in that lane.

When a stop/yield sign is present you must yield to all traffic, only difference between the two is you must actually stop first with a stop sign irrespective of if there is any other traffic or not.

If no stop/yield sign you must yield to all traffic if the road ahead is a major road.

If no stop/yield sign you must yield to traffic approaching from your right on another road if the roads are of equal importance.

Based on that here's two scenarios I'll throw out:-

1:
    A cross-road protected by traffic lights with all roads of equal importance.

The traffic lights have failed and 4 cars approach (1 at each light) all wanting to turn right-who has right of way?

2:
    A T junction protected by traffic liights, main road (i.e the top of the T) is of major importance, the adjoining road (i.e the I part of the T) is secondary but unusually also has a STOP sign 5 meters after the lights [NB I've actually seen this at several places].

Secondary road has a green traffic light whilst major road has red. A car passes the green on the secondary road at the same time a car ignores the red on the major road and they crash-who is at fault?

Common sense aside, this may spark an interesting debat if the correct answers are based solely on law and rights of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mandatory Cycle Lanes.
    The mandatory means motorised vehicles have to stay out of them, not that it's mandatory for cyclists to use them. It's probably one of the most flouted laws I see on my commute - cars undertaking cars turning right, cars and taxi's parked in them, and a massive increase of motorbikes and scooters filtering up them!

Yellow Boxes
    As far as I'm aware and everything I've read suggests that if there's a yellow box at a T-junction, it applies to those entering from the side road, not just to the main road. Now I think this is a Road Engineering issue too, as that is what a lot of them aim to do, but the rules of the road are that you're not supposed to enter it unless you can leave it, unless the only thing stopping you is on-coming traffic at a cross road.
    Again on my commute, there's a few lights that have been sequenced so with the yellow box those on the minor road do have a fair crack of the whip to get out and clear of the yellow box, but they keep piling out and blocking the main road in both directions by blocking the yellow box.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yellow Boxes
    As far as I'm aware and everything I've read suggests that if there's a yellow box at a T-junction, it applies to those entering from the side road, not just to the main road. Now I think this is a Road Engineering issue too, as that is what a lot of them aim to do, but the rules of the road are that you're not supposed to enter it unless you can leave it, unless the only thing stopping you is on-coming traffic at a cross road.
    Again on my commute, there's a few lights that have been sequenced so with the yellow box those on the minor road do have a fair crack of the whip to get out and clear of the yellow box, but they keep piling out and blocking the main road in both directions by blocking the yellow box.

You have probably read that in the ROTR, if so it is incorrect!

If you are turning right you can enter a yellow box even if the exit is not clear, the exception is to the rule and is not junction type specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If you are turning right you can enter a yellow box even if it is not clear, the exception is to the rule and is not junction type specific.

GM228
    Only if the only thing stopping you is on coming traffic as far as I'm aware. ROTR doesn't give the example of a T junction, which is helpful.

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/yellow-box-junctions.html

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only if the only thing stopping you is on coming traffic as far as I'm aware. ROTR doesn't give the example of a T junction, which is helpful.

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/yellow-box-junctions.html

That is correct and would apply even without yellow boxes due to yielding ight of way etc which is a seperate rule, however you could still enter a yellow box when turning right, wait for oncoming traffic to pass and then proceed further into the box without the exit been clear because in that situation the normal meaning of a yellow box does not apply to traffic turning right irrespective of junction type.

On the M1 I take it you are talking about the lights at J2 where you can exit the M1 and enter the M50, those lights are not on a motorway, they are on a link road between two motorways, the link road and also the road near the Port Tunnel actually arn't motorways, they can't be as they don't conform to motorway standards etc.
    Nope. It's a junction between the M1 N/S and the M1 E/W, east of the airport roundabout.
    As dubscottie pointed out the Port Tunnel is part of the M50, but t isn't actually a motorway.

To be a motorway the roads need to satisfy the NRA motorway standards (D2M and D2UM I believe) with certain permissible lane widths and a dual carriageway which is at least 2.5m wide.

GM228
    I don't think this is correct as there were motorways here before there was a nra, or even a tii.

A motorway order or other regulations make a road a motorway.

Nope. It's a junction between the M1 N/S and the M1 E/W, east of the airport roundabout.

I don't think this is correct as there were motorways here before there was a nra, or even a tii.

A motorway order or other regulations make a road a motorway.

The only other place I can think of is J2 after you leave the M1? Where those lights are located is the M1-R132 link road. Now I know that is shown as a motorway, but technically it isn't a motorway, in Ireland no motorway should have roundabouts or single lane roads etc, a motorway must have at least two lanes according to standards (and a hard shoulder) according to standards, how many motorway sections have no hard shoulders?

Again like J1 it's an entry/exit point for the motorway towards the Airport.

Indeed a motorway scheme/order designates a motorway, however they must be in compliance with, or higher than the standards set by existing motorways (that's what the law states anyway so how the tunnel got motorway status is odd to me).

There has always been standards for motorways, the NRA taking over that responsibility in 2006. It's interesting to note that technically all motorways in Ireland are listed in legislation as national prinary N roads rather than M with the actual motorway sections simply indicated by capital letters for the place names, i.e PORT TUNNEL on the N50 rather than the M50!

Standards are:-
    http://nrastandards.nra.ie/road-design-construction-standards/func-download/462/chk95333a2a5e968c0b0718520644ef647b/no_html1

http://nrastandards.nra.ie/road-design-construction-standards/func-download/465/chka76d246cf0e35edce4f578332f7278ef/no_html1

Before the Port Tunnel was opened the M1 ended where those lights are IIRC and the Port Tunnel actually is a motorway but has it's own bye-laws which apply the prohibition rules only, (big grey area IMO) the green/red lane arrows are already provided for in legislation for tunnels, but not a motorway, not sure about the other traffic lights either, think they are for emergencies, but again not allowed for on a motorway.

Also to note the bye laws require you turn on your lights in the tunnel, wonder how many people don't know that?

Just to clarify.. The Port Tunnel IS a motorway.

As I said its just badly numbered.

The problem we had was most truck drivers would look for the M1 or the M50.. When the tunnel opened those wanting the M1 were greeted with a M50 sign. "I am going north so why do I need to go round the M fuffty"..

I bought a map to make life easier for them.

Any car that came to the tolls with L plates we stopped. Mopeds and cyclists also!

The problem we had was most truck drivers would look for the M1 or the M50.. When the tunnel opened those wanting the M1 were greeted with a M50 sign. "I am going north so why do I need to go round the M fuffty"..

Any car that came to the tolls with L plates we stopped. Mopeds and cyclists also!
    I drive through the tunnel with L plates regularly.

I drive through the tunnel with L plates regularly.

But are you a learner driver or a driver with a full licence in a car displaying an L plate?

You can actually drive a car with L plates on a motorway if you have a full licence, ideally the L plates should not be there, but the restriction on motorways applies to learner drivers, not cars displaying L plates, that's another contentious issue!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Pedestrian one here. I think it's a common misconception that there is no offence of 'jaywalking' in Ireland. There is, but only within 15 meters of a pedestrian crossing.

Pedestrian one here. I think it's a common misconception that there is no offence of 'jaywalking' in Ireland. There is, but only within 15 meters of a pedestrian crossing.

Spot on, although it's a zebra crossing only, or a pedestrian crossing controlled by lights which have 3 aspects rather than 2 (ie you can't be done for jaywalking if the pedestrian lights only had green/red aspects-another unknown get out of jail card) and also on a motorway in which case a pedestrian should not be crossing any part of it as they shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Advertisement

But are you a learner driver or a driver with a full licence in a car displaying an L plate?

You can actually drive a car with L plates on a motorway if you have a full licence, ideally the L plates should not be there, but the restriction on motorways applies to learner drivers, not cars displaying L plates, that's another contentious issue!

GM228
    Right. I'm the latter :) I was really just pointing out that displaying an L plate doesn't really mean all that much, for exactly that reason.

On the jaywalking point, there is a related offence of pedestrians using the road (generally) where there is a footpath. Joggers should take note of that one.

Right. I'm the latter :) I was really just pointing out that displaying an L plate doesn't really mean all that much, for exactly that reason.

On the jaywalking point, there is a related offence of pedestrians using the road (generally) where there is a footpath. Joggers should take note of that one.

Spot on, I mentioned this previously, a pedestrian can only use the road generally (except a motorway) if there is no footpath.

Has anybody ever actually been done for jaywalking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

While a moped has a specific enough meaning, it's often applied to light scooters which would be capable of 50-60km/h. It might not be wise to use them on a motorway, it might show a lack of mechanical sympathy, but it surely wouldn't be illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Interesting topic for a thread. Not read all the replies yet, but I see some other have already questioned you, Re: flashing other drivers. I haven't had a chance to read, all the other replies yet, so not sure yet, how well you will have cover any other doubts I would have about your original post.

While a moped has a specific enough meaning, it's often applied to light scooters which would be capable of 50-60km/h. It might not be wise to use them on a motorway, it might show a lack of mechanical sympathy, but it surely wouldn't be illegal.

While a moped (under 49cc) is banned, 125 cc + "commuter scooters" would not be provided the person has the right license etc.. Not that we checked.. In those days learner motorcyclists did not need to show L plates.

I left there years ago so no idea what they do now..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone got a copy of the ROTR handy? i was talking to someone last night who is preparing for the driving test and maintained that parking with your car in gear is against The Rules. i always leave the car in gear when parked.

anyone got a copy of the ROTR handy? i was talking to someone last night who is preparing for the driving test and maintained that parking with your car in gear is against The Rules. i always leave the car in gear when parked.
    www.rotr.ie

It's probably not the case nowadays but there used to be a risk with a diesel car left in gear that, given a nudge, the engine could start and the car run away.

AFAIK the only mention of leaving a car in gear in the ROTR is when parking in that you should leave in first or reverse where possible.

When I learned to drive my instructor always said leave in gear if the first car in line, otherwise neutral, and also no need to use handbrake unless likely to be stoped for something like 20 seconds or longer IIRC.

Interesting topic for a thread. Not read all the replies yet, but I see some other have already questioned you, Re: flashing other drivers. I haven't had a chance to read, all the other replies yet, so not sure yet, how well you will have cover any other doubts I would have about your original post.

Indeed this is a very grey area and very open to interpretation, that's why I put it in, motorists have been prosecuted in the past for flashing other drivers under the offence of not driving with due care for other motorists or obstructing a Guard.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/476273935743729664

Flashing to say thanks, go ahead, there's danger ahead etc is a curtosy, rather than any rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement