Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bitwalking

• 21-11-2015 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

New Crypto currency where the Bitwalks (BW$) are mined by walking.

1 BW$ = 10,000 steps = 5 Miles

They have shops and banks in talks/ready to go, apparently.

It's invite only at the min though.

Initially, users will be given the chance to spend what they earn in an online store, or trade them for cash.
    The founders of the project, Nissan Bahar and Franky Imbesi have attracted more than $10m (£6.6m) of initial funding from mainly Japanese investors to help launch the currency and create the bank that verifies steps and any transfers.
    The idea of Bitwalking is to take advantage of the trend for fitness trackers by offering an additional incentive to keep fit.
    The global scheme plans to partner with sportswear brands, health services, health insurance firms, environmental groups, and potentially advertisers who could be offered unique insights into the audiences they are targeting.
    In the future, employers may be invited to take part in a scheme that would be offered to their employees to encourage them to stay fitter, with the currency they earn converted and then paid alongside their salaries.

In developed nations the average person would earn around 15 BW$ a month, but it is hoped that in poorer countries where people have to walk further for work, school, or simply to collect water, the Bitwalking scheme could help transform lives.

More Info.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What's 1 bitwalk worth?

Sounds like the sorta thing that'll be heavily exploited.

eg I'll buy 5,000 steps off someone for 90% cost of 1 bitwalk... And then do it on a large enough scale to make free money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Attach the counter to the dog or a stray cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley wrote: »
    What's 1 bitwalk worth?

Sounds like the sorta thing that'll be heavily exploited.

eg I'll buy 5,000 steps off someone for 90% cost of 1 bitwalk... And then do it on a large enough scale to make free money.
    Where is there free money there?
    It'd cost you 1.8 bitwalk per 10,000 steps, a loss of .8BW

Maybe Im not grasping how the scam works.
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Attach the counter to the dog or a stray cat
    Or just hack the counter/app to generate fake steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Mellor wrote: »
    Or just hack the counter/app to generate fake steps.

I was thinking you could just attach it to a dog.

Sounds like a stupid idea, but people have probably traded stupider things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Couch To €5k, wha'

• Advertisement

This went live a few days ago. They still don't have anything to buy as of yet but it looks promising. I do a lot of walking and usually have my phone with me so anything I get is a bonus. So far I have 2 $W!!!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bitwalking.bitwalking

Advertisement