Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car and insurance

Options
  • 22-11-2015 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Im looking to buy a new car i am 18 with provisional licence,but im unsure what car to go for i know something with a small engine and no older then 15 years but is there a certain car i should avoid in terms of insurance prices and does the age of the car really contribute to the insurance prices or is it more about age and your experience ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

im 20, on my parents insurances, was hoping to buy a car and get my own insurance. quoted as high as 6000(extra 500 to pay monthly)

Toyota yaris are cheapish, cheap tax and apparently a solid build.
    Id say it will be hard to get insured in anything much bigger than 1 lt

Most places wont insure below 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Guys there's a lot to be said for getting a sh/box for a couple of hundred quid and building up a years NCB and doing driving lessons in it. I'm talking a fiat cinquecento, daewoo matiz, seat arosa, citroen saxo etc. then once you've your test passed and a bit of NCB built up, you can start thinking about getting a decent car.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Guys there's a lot to be said for getting a sh/box for a couple of hundred quid and building up a years NCB and doing driving lessons in it. I'm talking a fiat cinquecento, daewoo matiz, seat arosa, citroen saxo etc. then once you've your test passed and a bit of NCB built up, you can start thinking about getting a decent car.
    i dont give a ****e really what i drive, ****ing insurances is what is killer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

bpb101 wrote: »
    i dont give a ****e really what i drive, ****ing insurances is what is killer

That's why I'm saying to buy a one litre heap of crap, insurance will be relatively cheap compared to say a newish 1.2 and you can build up a years NCB before moving onto something better.

That's why I'm saying to buy a one litre heap of crap, insurance will be relatively cheap compared to say a newish 1.2 and you can build up a years NCB before moving onto something better.
    The quote of 6000 was on a 1l :eek:

As much as how bad they are, im going to wait till im 21 to get insured on my own car(currently on my dads) and go with boxymo. I will hopefully get my full licenses and it will cost less than a grand with them. ****e to deal with though

Edit: for people who dont know of boxymo.ie. They place a box in your car and track your driving. You buy a set number km off them and they give you some extra if your driving well.
    ****e customer services, but cheap as ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Collinsfella

I was thinking of buying a crappy 1L but then i was wondering is that not what everyone my age does so insurance be higher ? Im not really sure of how insurance prices work in this country for instance does it matter what type of car like a nissan micra is seen as a common starter car so is it better to avoid that car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Collinsfella

bpb101 wrote: »
    The quote of 6000 was on a 1l :eek:

As much as how bad they are, im going to wait till im 21 to get insured on my own car(currently on my dads) and go with boxymo. I will hopefully get my full licenses and it will cost less than a grand with them. ****e to deal with though

Edit: for people who dont know of boxymo.ie. They place a box in your car and track your driving. You buy a set number km off them and they give you some extra if your driving well.
    ****e customer services, but cheap as ****

I was considering boxymo because i was quoted around 2200 but i have a few friends that had some issues with them and when they tried to complain could not get a reply from boxymo or else where kind of told to F off to another insurer , so im a bit weary of them

I was thinking of buying a crappy 1L but then i was wondering is that not what everyone my age does so insurance be higher ? Im not really sure of how insurance prices work in this country for instance does it matter what type of car like a nissan micra is seen as a common starter car so is it better to avoid that car ?
    insurance in this country works by a simple idea
    if age>25
    select a random number between 300 and 1000
    if under 25
    select a random number between 1000 and 6000

simple really
    I was considering boxymo because i was quoted around 2200 but i have a few friends that had some issues with them and when they tried to complain could not get a reply from boxymo or else where kind of told to F off to another insurer , so im a bit weary of them
    You need to make sure you get the box installed. They have to call you, but its a separate company who does it and they are lazy ****s too ( we had to call them). Just have to follow up to make sure you send in the stuff and your grand

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah once you're up and running with boxymo you're laughing, 1500 for the year on a provisional at 20 on a micra, everywhere else was quoting me 3-4000. Once I passed my test it went down as well and I was able to change cars no bother to a golf (had to pay more but expected) and it looks like my renewal could be >1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

Can a 28 yrs with first learner permit & first time insurance go for boxymo? for Nissan micra 2000? How much deposit they will ask? Will only be driving within town not for traveling outside the county, just to learn more.

• Advertisement

20784 wrote: »
    Can a 28 yrs with first learner permit & first time insurance go for boxymo? for Nissan micra 2000? How much deposit they will ask? Will only be driving within town not for traveling outside the county, just to learn more.
    Yeah , will cost you about 850 with 10,000 km i say

My parents are with them(but only because i am learning,of course)

Advertisement