Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK cinemas refuse to play Lord's Prayer ad in front of Star Wars

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Liamario wrote: »

Perfectly sensible decision, it's there cinemas they can show what they want.

If they want people to see the advert then stick it on TV or YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

If, as they say, their policy is not to accept political or religious advertising content in their cinemas (and I can't recall ever seeing such ads in the cinema) then I can't see how anyone can complain. Nor do I see how anyone has a right to free speech in someone else's cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Seriously, what percentage of people want or expect to watch prayers when they go to the cinema? Probably zero point something..

Religion should not be allowed to be advertised at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

They're probably not showing Daesh promotional adverts either in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

A little rich, considering the Christian themes running through the franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I... What?

There's certainly a lot of Buddhist themes running through it, and lets not forget that Star Wars was heavily inspired by old samurai movies, namely Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, but Christian themes? This is another one of those religious narcissism moments, the demand to see your faith reflected back at you in everything, especially when it's not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

People confuse freedom of speech with you must give me an audience quite a lot.

The last vestiges of an evil empire who is trying to claw back some of the control it had? I suppose it has some stuff in common with certain groups.

Links234 wrote: »
    I... What?

There's certainly a lot of Buddhist themes running through it, and lets not forget that Star Wars was heavily inspired by old samurai movies, namely Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, but Christian themes? This is another one of those religious narcissism moments, the demand to see your faith reflected back at you in everything, especially when it's not there.

Theres a virgin birth in there but I'm sure anyone with a slight knowledge into religions would know that the idea has existed for a lot longer than Christianity but that is assuming a slight knowledge is had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I don't really see that (although it's in the matrix).

Cinemas are private property. No censorship here.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I... What?

And Dune of course, don't forget Dune :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Theres a virgin birth in there but I'm sure anyone with a slight knowledge into religions would know that the idea has existed for a lot longer than Christianity but that is assuming a slight knowledge is had.

Oh yeah, I forgot that. But then again, that is from the prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Zamboni wrote: »
    They're probably not showing Daesh promotional adverts either in fairness.

Those mad ads the British Army used to do could probably double as IS recruitment videos though

Oh yeah, I forgot that. But then again, that is from the prequels.

We've all tried to forget the prequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tbh all of the major religions cross-pollinate so much that you could interpret the movies as being analogues for most religions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I... What?
    eh, how about men in robes walking around spouting nonsense about supernatural forces?

eh, how about men in robes walking around spouting nonsense about supernatural forces?

That could be any religion!

Frostyjacks, you never answered, what do you want to get for Christmas?

Also, have you seen The Hidden Fortress? I'd really like to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

do they allow such ads on british tv, then put it on tv people can switch it off if they want

whhat gets more eyes then a banned ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That could be any religion!

Think I read somewhere they were going to introduce a gay character/characters, so that'll narrow the spectrum somewhat. Unless they're a bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

The Most Reverend Justin Welby said he found the decision "extraordinary".
    "This advert is about as offensive as a carol service or church service on Christmas Day," he said.
    "Let the public judge for themselves rather than be censored or dictated to."

Welby and his peers from the other clubs just don't get it. People choose to go to a church service and do so knowing that they're going to be subjected to religious hocus pocus, in fact people would rightly expect nothing else and good luck to them. The "public" have made no such choice when going to the movies and the owners of the cinemas have every right to decide what they show their customers.

What is really offensive is the staggering conceit of the church that they believe their entitlement extends to a legal right to peddle their wares wherever and whenever they choose.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Frostyjacks, you never answered, what do you want to get for Christmas?

Also, have you seen The Hidden Fortress? I'd really like to know.

I haven't seen Hidden Fortress, although it sounds decent. Ashamed to say I've only seen one Kurosawa film, the Seven Samurai. It was around the time of the Murphy's ad, I was curious to see what it was paying homage to.

For Christmas, I'd fancy one of those coffee machines that use the pods. I have a filter machine at the minute, but I'm thinking these new machines give a better brew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's very simple, their policy is not to allow to religious content. If they allow one they'll have to allow others. While this advertisement may indeed just be about a light Christmas advert, what if the next one is by a controversial fundamentalist group who'd they love to refuse but may get smacked with religious discrimination if they do? The approach they have taken is a pretty reasonable one.

I haven't seen Hidden Fortress, although it sounds decent. Ashamed to say I've only seen one Kurosawa film, the Seven Samurai. It was around the time of the Murphy's ad, I was curious to see what it was paying homage to.

For Christmas, I'd fancy one of those coffee machines that use the pods. I have a filter machine at the minute, but I'm thinking these new machines give a better brew.

Those Murphy's ads were the business, they even had an anime one that was made by the people behind Ghost in the Shell. You ever see that?

And the Hidden Fortress is well worth a look, I'd recommend it.

Hope you get your coffee machine for Christmas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no surprise that a priest doesn't understand what freedom of religion and freedom of speech actually are.

he and his organisation are free to practice and preach their religion, but that freedom does not extend to forcing businesses to do their preaching for them, or forcing paying customers of a public business to sit through their proselytising 'adverts'.

i'm sure a lot of the people complaining about this would be the same people complaining if the shoe was on the other foot and there was a muslim prayer in a cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,628 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, interestingly enough, when bus companies in New Zealand refused to accept the "There's probably no God" ads a few years back, the Humanist Society of New Zealand (who had sought to place the ads) brought a discrimination case before the NZ Human Rights Review Tribunal. (They were not successful.)

So it seems it's not just priests who have a hazy grasp of what freedom of speech entails. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tumblr_nfw8u4Tk5C1r9n15ro1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'ran' is one of my all time favourites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The Most Reverend Justin Welby said he found the decision "extraordinary".
    I'll accept it's "extraordinary" when religious leaders allow cinemas to show what they want within church buildings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Well, interestingly enough, when bus companies in New Zealand refused to accept the "There's probably no God" ads a few years back, the Humanist Society of New Zealand (who had sought to place the ads) brought a discrimination case before the NZ Human Rights Review Tribunal. (They were not successful.)

So it seems it's not just priests who have a hazy grasp of what freedom of speech entails. :)

Why are you picking another country to make a comparison? :confused:

Lets stick with the UK shall we?...In the same country that this cinema story actually relates to we know that Atheist groups have no problem advertising that "There's probably no God" on buses,

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/06/atheist-bus-campaign-nationwide

Why you decided to pick another country with a different government and different laws for your comparison is rather odd I must admit, it must be just to suit your agenda :D

Now if you do want to look at other countrys then we know Christians get upset about Atheists advertising as we only need to look at Spain
    buses in Barcelona bearing a Spanish translation of the British slogan will hit the streets, to the consternation of the city's Catholic hierarchy.

So its clear Christians have an issue with something they claim they should have freedom of speech on...funny that ;)

In addition in Canada Christians also got upset with this advert

1385035_517024895057646_888412095_n.jpg

Now from a Muslim standard the advert is 100% accurate...but offensive to Christians, should Muslims do a cinema advert like this advert? Would all Christians be so ok with that do you think? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Peregrinus wrote: »

Out of curiosity did said company take adverts from churches. If it was a level playing field I can't see that they would have had a case either

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement