Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of non drafting ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

In a nutshell no. It could be the end of triathlon in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I'm a big fan of non-drafting, probably because I was never good at drafting and group cycling, but nevertheless that, is a random Joe really more likely to watch a race with legal drafting on the bike course than non-drafting one? Because, with the second one being saving the money on organization since it's "lower maintenance", I presume prime reason for this decision came in because they want to make triathlon (more) fan/TV/spectator-friendly. Not that long ago I did ask on this forum do you know how we could get triathlon to be a spectator sport and nobody mentioned drafting (HERE).

In general, I don't mind any changes if they really bring something. If it brings more fans, lower prices for events (due to lower maintenance that would make a sense) or more races in general since it's going to be a bit easier to organize one - great. I'll do my part and start doing some group trainings. But, if it's just so they would force people to buy new equipment (bikes, helmets etc.) or they use the "extra cash" to put in their pocket then I think this could actually be a bad thing.

Also, 2 things to note. Newbies will now have even more ways to hurt themselves since most, as is the problem with swimming, won't be so good at drafting as they would imagine (they'll all know that drafting is helping them but most probably won't really practice it before) and second one - I don't see this happening in longer distances (HIM and IM), especially not for other organizations which means bad things for triathletes in general because they'll need non-aero bikes/equipment for local and smaller races and full aero ones for longer/HIM/IM races...

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Not a fan of drafting either and to be honest don't fancy it at all in races, I think it could well put people off taking up duathlon or triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

tunney wrote: »
    In a nutshell no. It could be the end of triathlon in Ireland though.

Please expand? Interested in seeing the reason for this.

As far as I am aware it is still just for Super Series type races not agers? Or am I reading it wrong, that is what I took from te TI training day and the BTU talk this weekend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Only national champs were draft legal in 2015...draft legal racing in Ireland would mean every race would need fully closed roads (IMO) - no chance of that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Only national champs were draft legal in 2015...draft legal racing in Ireland would mean every race would need fully closed roads (IMO) - no chance of that happening.

Why ..? Bike races don't have fully closed roads?

In most places I would agree however many councils would insist on it. It would potentially have a much larger impact on Specific areas of the country which have history of issues around this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's not a bike race, it's a triathlon..in bike races you don't have waves, people of different swim ability coming out of the water at different times...you'd expect, in cycling for people to have OK bike handling skills...draft legal racing on open roads would be carnage, especially when the tractor decides it needs to use the road and a group of 20 cyclists come up behind it suddenly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianTri

Still a minority of draft legal racing in 2016 and only super series for those who have qualified. It supplies much more exciting racing not only for those involved but also for those watching. If you don't like it you have plenty of non drafting options

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I like the idea. Would love to race a draft legal event. Cuts out all the BS; a significant percentage of people already draft so would put an end to all of the post-race complaints over people drafting but not getting caught. Sounds like it would only apply to Nat. Champs. races though?

• Advertisement

Bike races aint happening anymore and its spreading from Swords. but we are not allow talk about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

with the amount of drafting that goes on anyway its not going to make much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What about the poor lads who bought the nice new TT bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There's the US & Europe :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    There's the US & Europe :D

except for that new US rule saying euro bought bikes cannot be used in any races on american soil, including IM races. shouldn't affect anyone on here though i'd guess

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

mossym wrote: »
    except for that new US rule saying euro bought bikes cannot be used in any races on american soil, including IM races. shouldn't affect anyone on here though i'd guess

:):)

Can you tell me more, please?

zico10 wrote: »
    Can you tell me more, please?

Sorry Zico, the only rule i'm aware of is the one where jackyback a) enters a race in the US, and b) buys a new very expensive bike and i have to make a joke that there is a rule in the US that says he can't use it. i thought the smiles gave it away, sorry.

on a serious note, for those of you who are thinking of racing stateside, there was a thread on slowtwitch recently which said any helmet without a US certification sticker was not allowed, which ruled out a lot of euro lids. no joking on this one, worth looking into if you are going to race over the there

Sorry Zico, the only rule i'm aware of is the one where jackyback a) enters a race in the US, and b) buys a new very expensive bike and i have to make a joke that there is a rule in the US that says he can't use it. i thought the smiles gave it away, sorry.

on a serious note, for those of you who are thinking of racing stateside, there was a thread on slowtwitch recently which said any helmet without a US certification sticker was not allowed, which ruled out a lot of euro lids. no joking on this one, worth looking into if you are going to race over the there

The helmet rule is true however I may be wrong in thinking exemptions can be made for non US entrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

You exchange the handlebars :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I like triathlon as a individual sport. I can see clubs/Friends working together on this one.

For example:

A female triathlete with a fast swim, slow bike & fast run enrolls the help of a faster male cyclist to pull her along during the bike leg and ends up winning her first event due to a vastly improved bike leg.

This is just one example of what can happen when the waves are not split by gender or age group.

will be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »
    I like triathlon as a individual sport. I can see clubs/Friends working together on this one.

For example:

A female triathlete with a fast swim, slow bike & fast run enrolls the help of a faster male cyclist to pull her along during the bike leg and ends up winning her first event due to a vastly improved bike leg.

This is just one example of what can happen when the waves are not split by gender or age group.

I think I know what club you are in then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

topcat77 wrote: »

For example:

This is already happening. And not just in small local races here in Ireland, but amongst pro women at Ironman level as well.

http://www.ifollowtheswallow.co.uk/#!blogger-feed/cc7m
    I have participated in Championship races held where age group pelotons are peppered with professional ladies; where there is little to no media provision; where the race is unfair for every single racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I was looking for this one as well.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Trouble_at_70.3_Miami_3206.html

Making things draft legal wont suddenly see this kind of thing happening, its already happening. Everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

BTH wrote: »
    I was looking for this one as well.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Trouble_at_70.3_Miami_3206.html

Making things draft legal wont suddenly see this kind of thing happening, its already happening. Everywhere.

It might be happening now but it's called cheating. Soon it'll be called being professional.

I'd have no problem with it. Smart competitive riders will use it to their advantage and the newbies barely have a clue about drafting anyway for the first few races.

Means less people being pissed off about losing places because of drafting too.

the runners will love it. the bikers not so much.

maybe instead of triathlons they can just be called trisportifs from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

the runners will love it. the bikers not so much.

maybe instead of triathlons they can just be called trisportifs from now on.

But the run is draft legal already so problem solved!

Seriously though, tri as it stands is weighted in favour of good 1) bikers 2) runners 3) swimmers. It's the good swimmers I feel really sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Trisportifs is a bit unfair. WTS is draft-legal, are they just journeymen cyclists too?

Puts the bike leg into context with the swim and run - i.e. an actual race.

To be welcomed IMO, even if only initially for CAT1 racing, hope it trickles down to AG racing quickly though.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Trisportifs is a bit unfair. WTS is draft-legal, are they just journeymen cyclists too?

Puts the bike leg into context with the swim and run - i.e. an actual race.

To be welcomed IMO, even if only initially for CAT1 racing, hope it trickles down to AG racing quickly though.

I'm for it 100%

It will push people to become better swimmers and get into a better faster pack on the bike.

it will kill the element of bike racing though as no point in breaking free just to be swallowed up by the group again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

shansey wrote: »
    I'm for it 100%
    it will kill the element of bike racing though as no point in breaking free just to be swallowed up by the group again.

Isn't that the definition of bike racing though?

Worth a triathlete's time doing some bike racing actually - learn how to work in packs, chase down breakaways, and improve bike handling and control. Anyone coming to triathlon from cycling should find this development a real boon. Might even tempt a few over from the dark side too - positive allround, no?

Advertisement