Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of non drafting ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

It seems to work well in practice- most races over the past couple of years have seen lots of successful packs and no crashes due to packs. May as well bring it on, and level the playing field for anyone who cares about racing.

Separate M/F swim starts (separate AG swim starts if important) should take care of any illegal pacing issues. It has to be an improvement on the current situation where you're a mug for playing by bike draft rules.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Trisportifs is a bit unfair. WTS is draft-legal, are they just journeymen cyclists too?

Who mentioned journeyman cyclists?

look at the % of "completion with no eye on the time" participants in tri at the moment. with drafting rules in place the examples of them rolling along in packs chatting are widespread. how much worse do you think it will be when they are allowed?
    MojoMaker wrote: »

Puts the bike leg into context with the swim and run - i.e. an actual race.

How does removing the advantage of the stronger guys make it more of an actual race?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

If you really wanted to even things out on the bike leg (and get rid of road closure issues), just set up a couple of hundred turbos in transition. It has the added bonus that you can't buy yourself time with TT bikes, disc wheels etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you really wanted to even things out on the bike leg (and get rid of road closure issues), just set up a couple of hundred turbos in transition. It has the added bonus that you can't buy yourself time with TT bikes, disc wheels etc...

But then the big fat "diesel engines" would smash everyone. Weight and Cda needs to come into it.

I disagree with the classical "triathletes cannot handle bikes". What I would say is that most people who ride bikes cannot handle bikes.

A4s cannot, in general, ride a bike - fitness or handling wise. I've gone out with a good few clubs and vowed never to go near roadies again (at least clubs) ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I did an indoor Sprint last year- pool, exercise bike, and treadmill. Second guessing the gear I'd packed/left out, all the way there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Speaking as a non-triathlete, I find draft legal races to be a better spectator sport. I'd also prefer to try out a draft legal race than non-draft race if I was to give Tri a go. Getting rid of the reliance on external marshals and the gains available to rule breakers seems like a very good thing to me. Just outside observations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

tunney wrote: »
    A4s cannot, in general, ride a bike - fitness or handling wise. I've gone out with a good few clubs and vowed never to go near roadies again (at least clubs) ever again.

The A4 comment is just simply untrue.

What clubs were you going out with? i've never felt unsafe on a club spin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The A4 comment is just simply untrue.

What clubs were you going out with? i've never felt unsafe on a club spin

100% of my experiences back it up.

Glad you feel safe on your spins
    Either
    1) Your club is actually safe.
    2) You are oblivious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Makes complete sense. ITU is the road to the Olympics. Young triathletes simply need to learn those bike skills. Should be the format of all NS tris for the top 50 M/F. Let the rest do what they like then.

Enduro wrote: »
    ........ I'd also prefer to try out a draft legal race than non-draft race if I was to give Tri a go........!
    Eh!

Congrats on your Ultra Running Gong BTW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Either
    2) You are oblivious.

Care to elaborate, not disagreeing but i thought you never bike raced:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

Either
    2) You are oblivious.

100% of your experiences means nothing, it could have been one race with a big crash.

I have raced with all grades of cyclists A1's to A4's and its consistently the size of the bunch that lead to more crashes.

Maybe your just not use to riding in a group....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

100% of your experiences means nothing, it could have been one race with a big crash.

I have raced with all grades of cyclists A1's to A4's and its consistently the size of the bunch that lead to more crashes.

Maybe your just not use to riding in a group....

Raced a season in A4 and a season in A3, notable difference in bike handling skills, fitness feeds into that also, guys tend to make stupid errors when struggling all over their bike. So i disagree with your post, A4 bike handling skills in general are poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

So has Tunney bike raced?

Advertisement