Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Primary ASD Unit Conditions

• 22-11-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I am just wondering does anyone know what the specific regulations are in terms of teacher student ratios in an ASD unit at post primary level.
    I am working as a teacher in an ASD unit and quite frequently find myself working completely alone in the unit (which is in an isolated part of the school) with 3 students with autism (1 with a history of violent behaviour) with no SNA and nobody around in the immediate vicinity of the room. I am starting to become very uncomfortable about this situation and I actually fear for my safety at times. I've addressed the issue with the school principal who tells me the SNA allocated to the ASD unit is needed "elsewhere" so not available to support me in the ASD unit when I feel it is needed.

Does anyone have any advice on the situation i find my self in or any information on how classes in these ASD units should actually be resourced as per any regulations which exist?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Hi,
    This sounds totally wrong on a number of levels. Firstly it is unfair on you as a teacher and secondly on the children allocated SNA support. I would also question the safety aspect as you have no way to call for support if you need it. What happens in a medical emergency? A violent outburst? Or when you need support in delivering lessons?
    When you say the SNA is needed "elsewhere" are they working with another child? If that's the case the SENO needs to be called and another SNA position applied for. If the SNA is doing admin work or whatever your principal needs a good kick!
    I would ask the principal for a sit down meeting and outline all my (very valid) concerns. The union rep may be your next port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tallaghtsaint

Thanks for you reply.
    Unfortunately I am new in the school and the Principal is intimidating me and telling me "this is the way it is" and I have to manage myself. The SNA allocated to the unit is off supporting a teacher in the mainstream classroom (which contains no students from the ASD unit as the child from the ASD unit which is in this class normally is withdrawn back into the unit to me). So i'm left alone with the 3 students. We also have regular situations where students are left in the ASD unit without any teacher at all and a SNA has to supervise 3/4 students for up to 40 minutes. I've raised my situation with the union rep and they are looking into it for me.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Health and Safety' - three words that can turn a Principal's bowels to water. They have a duty of care to you as an employee. If you have alerted them to a safety issue and something now happens, they are in deep do-do if they failed to make your workplace safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

spurious wrote: »
    'Health and Safety' - three words that can turn a Principal's bowels to water. They have a duty of care to you as an employee. If you have alerted them to a safety issue and something now happens, they are in deep do-do if they failed to make your workplace safe.

This is dangerous and totally unacceptable. Contact the union !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hdipdilemma

solerina wrote: »
    This is dangerous and totally unacceptable. Contact the union !!

The teaching allocation for an ASD unit is 1.5 teaching posts plus 1 full time Sna for up to 3 students. 4 or more students is 2 sna. The max class size is 6 students. Students should always be supervised by teacher they should never only have sna support during class time this is a breach of health and safety. Sna allocation for an autism class is completely separate to mainstream and in addition to mainstream allocation

• Advertisement
Advertisement