Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this kit any good?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Not so apt user name!!! :D

Looks ok, but i'd have a look at this too.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewsmarter-starter-beer-kit-245-p.asp

It has a tap and a bottle filling wand, an air lock and a choice of beer kits (I've made that Canadian Blonde, it was very tasty!)

@ E40 plus E5 delivery it will cost you about the same once Irish vat and bad exchange rate is added to Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

I haven't tried that kit, but I would say this ... It's not really a question of "is the kit any good ?" I think the pertenant question is will " will you like the final product ?" Which is describes as a "4.5% pub style lager".

Do you like Heineken/carlsberg/Budweiser on draught. Do you lil "4.5% pub style lager". ? If so, It might be an ideal kit for you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

P.s. I only started a few months ago, and I have done a few different pale ales, red ale, bitter, and currently fermenting a Belgian 8% "double ale"

I must say I was amazed at how good home-brew actually tastes. Could be to do with the satisfaction of doing it yourself. So don't worry about your first brew. Anything better than dish-water is a success. Just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Cheers for replys its not for me, its a Xmas gift idea the lad likes your average lager in the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Satriale wrote: »
    Not so apt user name!!! :D

Looks ok, but i'd have a look at this too.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewsmarter-starter-beer-kit-245-p.asp

It has a tap and a bottle filling wand, an air lock and a choice of beer kits (I've made that Canadian Blonde, it was very tasty!)

@ E40 plus E5 delivery it will cost you about the same once Irish vat and bad exchange rate is added to Amazon

Isthat kit ready to go, out of the box? Is the mix for the beer included?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

It looks to be. I bought the beer kit itself separately and I don't think the sugar was included, iirc I bought coopers brew enhancer instead. Brewing sugar is a couple of euros if not included.
    He'll need bottles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's very difficult to reproduce the likes of Heineken & Carlsberg at home - in my experience "lager" kits are invariably mediocre because they're really blonde ales masquerading as lagers. You're better off starting with a red ale/bitter or hoppy pale ale kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Yep - Choose from the Coopers"Lager" , Canadian Blonde or Mangrove Jack's Pale ale.

My choice would be the Pale Ale - they're a newer range, and use nitrogen to flush the packet to keep it fresh for longer, but the Blonde might also be a good call if you're not mad on predominantly hoppy beers. the Lager kit will probably be similar to the blonde, basically as you'll be using Ale yeast it's just going to be a light ale with little flavor to emulate a lager.

Also if you really want to enjoy your first brew - grab this fella too. http://www.homebrewwest.ie/muntons-beer-enhancer-1-kg-432-p.asp

Advertisement