Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info on pub gigs for project

Options
  • 22-11-2015 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Myself and my group are presently conducting a fundraising strategy as part of a project for a college module. The cause is in aid of a children's charity and the idea we have come up with is surrounding a gig that that will showcase up and coming bands or musicians, with the revenue being earned from ticket sales at the door. The musicians will be benefited through increased exposure and also the ability for them to sell their CD's to visitors at the gig, from which the event would take a commission on the sale of. The project proposal is going to be completely fantasy and we are only being graded on the effectiveness of our model.

What I am looking to gain information on from any potential gig goers (who are likely to be far more enlightened than I am) is for information on what a typically realistic footfall figure would be at an average to successful event? I do realise that venues differ in size and location which might dictate the crowds they draw, but just some idea of numbers would be helpful. Also, are they any independent bands or musicians that are making their way at the moment that I should take note of? It would be great if somebody could tell me a couple that I could see about incorporating into our plan that will help in drawing large crowds.

I have tried contacting some notable pubs so far, but they have been quite suspicious and resistant in giving me any info that would be of benefit. I thought asking some gig goer's on here might be a better idea and would be appreciative if any of you could help me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

This in nearly an impossible question to answer. But I'll give it a go:

The event either has to have 1) a band or bands with profile, big enough to pull a crowd themselves, or 2) what is commonly called "Rent A Crowd", where the local artists who are appearing, with presumably little or no profile, encourage their friends to come the gig.

Notionally, a band with no profile isn't going to attract a crowd at all. Less than 20 even if its well promoted locally, but probably none if they have to pay €10.

An artist with local or regional profile, will need to get paid, or if you beg them to do it for free. An artist with only local/regional profile might only attract 10 or 20 on a good night. You might be able to get an older local artist with good past regional profile involved...out of retirement that sorta thing.

The best plan for such an event is to get all the local artists to get involved, get them to bring all their mates...big up the "Charity" aspect and tell them to bring their ma's and da's.

Get the local radio station to promote it....organise a raffle, maybe have a disco at the end of the night for the older crowd....

But for artists with no profile, and no "selling" angle, expect none to appear at the gig.
    Hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

PS: With pubs...I'm not surprised that they have been slow to comment.

In reality, pubs (and they have to think this way) can only pay bands on the amount of people the band or the event will pull.

In basic terms, they can only pay "x" amount for a band, if they sell "Y" number of pints.

Most pubs if they have a suitable room, would be very keen to let you have the place for the night, if they thought that it would be well managed and that you would pull a spending crowd, bigger then their usual for that night, eg, Thursday or Friday or whatever. Younger crowds do not spend as much as older crowds, so that is a factor for a pub as well. But any place should give you a chance on a "dead night".

BUT, these sort of events make better money but selling raffle tickets, or CD's or something like that, then they would on "door money". paying at the door is a tough call....and it had better have a good "Charity" angle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Kettleson, thank you very much for your response. I realise it was a difficult question to answer and I am appreciative for your insight.

I will take everything into account you mention.

Advertisement