Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2015 Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Locker10a wrote: »
    Evening folks,

So i am posting here in a desperate attempt to sort my Plans for Xmas dinner, growing up in Ireland my granny would often have a boiled ham for us for dinner, we also always had this on Xmas day along with turkey.
    I now live in the UK, this year I would love to have a boiled ham on Christmas Day! The only problem is i don't know where to get one or what cut I'm looking for.
    I asked my mum which one i should buy and she assures me that we always had a filet of ham which would be boiled as far as i remember, however in UK supermarkets only seem to be able to find gammon.

My question is whether gammon in the UK is the same thing as a filet of ham in Ireland ? As i always thought gammon tasted differently or was not the same cut as the traditional ham we would always have.
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    It would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance

http://groceries.asda.com/product/gammon/asda-butchers-selection-unsmoked-gammon-joint/910000495884 This looks exactly the same as what we get. There's even instructions on how to boil it there in the description.
    Other than that, you could try a butchers rather than a supermarket.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Can someone help me with stuffing please?

Not blowing trumpets or anything, but I can manage the rest of things fine including the roasties! But stuffing always goes wrong on me.

It is either too wet, too dry, or overcooked and hard, woe is me.

I don't stuff the bird, but make it separately. Maybe I should just stuff it up the birdie's bum and try it lol.

Anyway, it's just the usual breadcrumbs, onions herbs and seasoning. I gently fry off the onions in butter and rapeseed oil. Then add the breadcrumbs. When all mixed up put in a dish and dot with (lots) of butter and into the oven covered with foil.. I'm probably leaving it there for too long. I dunno. I'm fed up now.

Thanks anyway.

I did stuffing balls made with sausage meat last year. A big hit. Heavenly. I'm not sure but I think it was a Bazmo recipe. It was definitely in last year's thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

dee_mc wrote: »
    http://groceries.asda.com/product/gammon/asda-butchers-selection-unsmoked-gammon-joint/910000495884 This looks exactly the same as what we get. There's even instructions on how to boil it there in the description.
    Other than that, you could try a butchers rather than a supermarket.

I was looking those in supermarkets and thought the same thing but I'm still confused with it being called gammon which to me always differed to regular ham! Maybe I'm wrong, will just have to chance it !Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Are you all set?

The question you'll only ever hear in Ireland. :)

A week to go and nothing bought or done!!! Waiting till Tuesday to get the big bird and ham, then I can start.

Anyone done anything yet?

Are you all set?

The question you'll only ever hear in Ireland. :)

A week to go and nothing bought or done!!! Waiting till Tuesday to get the big bird and ham, then I can start.

Anyone done anything yet?

Cranberry sauce done! Everything else will have to wait til Wednesday, too busy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Cranberry sauce done here as well. Tongues on Monday, pâté set for Wednesday and ham for Thursday. I do the bits I share/give away first.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Locker10a wrote: »
    I was looking those in supermarkets and thought the same thing but I'm still confused with it being called gammon which to me always differed to regular ham! Maybe I'm wrong, will just have to chance it !Thanks anyway

A gammon is an uncooked ham. It becomes a ham when it is cooked. A gammon and a ham are the cured back leg of a pig.

I know it can be confusing as it is referred to as a ham fillet although it is uncooked.

BTW I fatten pigs as a hobby and I was confused until my butcher pointed it out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We will be brining the turkey again this year. If you are thinking about brining now is the time to make sure you have the right container, cooler, fridge space, etc...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I actually burned Bazmo's stuffing balls when having dinner with friends and they were still delicious and devoured by all present enthusiastically.

That's how good they are. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Could someone link me to Bazmo's stuffing ball recipe post please?

(I've a feeling I read it already, but it's only filed away in my head!!)

Searching and cooking dinner is not a good combo right now!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Could someone link me to Bazmo's stuffing ball recipe post please?

(I've a feeling I read it already, but it's only filed away in my head!!)

Searching and cooking dinner is not a good combo right now!

Thanks.

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dubl07 wrote: »

Ah thanks for taking the time to do that.

They do look great. Will defo have a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kenco wrote: »
    (might go Duck for the giggles).
    !

You may as well, for the quack.

(Groan)

We are heading to my parents for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It's our babies second Christmas but he was only a few days old last year and my niece is just 3 months older than him. So the whole family are getting together and all going to plan having a family dinner with no arguing and without one half of the table having their nose stuck in their phones and the other half (well mainly me) getting pissed off about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

And my homemade mulled wine cranberry sauce

Hi dee_mc,

Any chance of this recipe please? Mrs. Loire loves cranberry sauce so this would be a nice treat.

Thanks!
    Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi dee_mc,

Any chance of this recipe please? Mrs. Loire loves cranberry sauce so this would be a nice treat.

Thanks!
    Loire.

Cranberry sauce - per 340g bag of cranberries, add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, or 1 cup red wine, or half water and half red wine, or half water and half orange juice, plus a little splash of brandy if you like, and the grated rind of an orange if you like. Pop in a mulled wine spice sachet. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes til all the berries have popped and the sauce is quite thick and glossy - beware, it will go through an ugly, foamy phase but this will pass so persevere :P
    Remove the spice sachet before potting it. If you don't want to pot it, spoon it into a bowl and cover with cling film, it'll keep for a week or so in the fridge.
    Keeps for at least 12 months if properly sealed, great with Christmas dinner, epic with baked brie and crusty bread

@Faith,

Doh re: posting on the other, 2 year old thread. Big night last night!

Loire.

Cranberry sauce - per 340g bag of cranberries, add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, or 1 cup red wine, or half water and half red wine, or half water and half orange juice, plus a little splash of brandy if you like, and the grated rind of an orange if you like. Pop in a mulled wine spice sachet. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes til all the berries have popped and the sauce is quite thick and glossy - beware, it will go through an ugly, foamy phase but this will pass so persevere :P
    Remove the spice sachet before potting it. If you don't want to pot it, spoon it into a bowl and cover with cling film, it'll keep for a week or so in the fridge.
    Keeps for at least 12 months if properly sealed, great with Christmas dinner, epic with baked brie and crusty bread

Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I loved this thread last year, glad to see it come back. I took so many ideas from it including a cranberry sauce recipe that looks similar to the one Dee has above^ (it might actually be it?!) and a great brine recipe. Would anyone have any suggestions for a breakfast recipe? We usually have a standard fry and cinnamon rolls but my Dad keeps tactlessly hinting he wants something different this year.

Today I made up three quantities each of gingerbread dough and cinnamon roll dough. I'll use the gingerbread dough to make some men and women for work during the week, and the rest I'm using to make small gingerbread houses for my goddaughter's birthday on the 24th. I use the recipes from the Odlums website and have found them pretty solid so I'm happy to use them again. The cinnamon roll dough is for Christmas morning and Jan 1st.

We usually have a pretty low key Christmas. My OH is working 48 hours on the 24/25th so I'll spend the day with my parents. I'll cook the spiced beef (Cork :pac:) on the 24th and we'll have that cold with chips and fried sprouts for dinner. On Christmas day we'll have homemade mushroom soup to start and then a stuffed crown of turkey and a smoked ham with the usual suspects for the main event. Dessert, later in the evening, is either pudding and custard, Christmas cake, or a whole Galaxy selection box depending on who you are. My OH will come down after work at about 8pm to kick off round two which will be leftover sandwiches and crisps. The plan is to then bunker down for the weekend and try to move as little as possible. I'm looking forward to the break already.

I loved this thread last year, glad to see it come back. I took so many ideas from it including a cranberry sauce recipe that looks similar to the one Dee has above^ (it might actually be it?!) and a great brine recipe. Would anyone have any suggestions for a breakfast recipe? We usually have a standard fry and cinnamon rolls but my Dad keeps tactlessly hinting he wants something different this year.

Today I made up three quantities each of gingerbread dough and cinnamon roll dough. I'll use the gingerbread dough to make some men and women for work during the week, and the rest I'm using to make small gingerbread houses for my goddaughter's birthday on the 24th. I use the recipes from the Odlums website and have found them pretty solid so I'm happy to use them again. The cinnamon roll dough is for Christmas morning and Jan 1st.

We usually have a pretty low key Christmas. My OH is working 48 hours on the 24/25th so I'll spend the day with my parents. I'll cook the spiced beef (Cork :pac:) on the 24th and we'll have that cold with chips and fried sprouts for dinner. On Christmas day we'll have homemade mushroom soup to start and then a stuffed crown of turkey and a smoked ham with the usual suspects for the main event. Dessert, later in the evening, is either pudding and custard, Christmas cake, or a whole Galaxy selection box depending on who you are. My OH will come down after work at about 8pm to kick off round two which will be leftover sandwiches and crisps. The plan is to then bunker down for the weekend and try to move as little as possible. I'm looking forward to the break already.

Yeah I shared that recipe last year or the year before, it's a big hit around here! I'm told it works well spread on sponge cake as a trifle base too - a non turkey eater tried it after I gave them a jar as a present! Glad you enjoyed it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Guys... Looking for ideas for the Xmas Dinner VEGETABLES only

Have done the roasted carrots , parsnips and onions for a few years now and they just taste 'alright'

So looking for new ideas that would liven up the plate

What do you do for veg on XMas Day???

Masala wrote: »

Have done the roasted carrots , parsnips and onions for a few years now and they just taste 'alright'

We keep it classic on Christmas day but this is what I'm planning for St Stephen's day along with the leftover turkey and ham http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cumin-crusted_vegetables_96980 very simple and delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Any tips on how to do nice roast veg please? Thanks in Advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast a whole celeriac. Scrub the outside with a new scourer and use a small knife to get the nooks & crannies clean around the base, but don't peel it. Wrap in a double layer of tinfoil. Add 5 or 6 crushed whole cloves of garlic, a few bay leaves, salt & pepper, and a drizzle of truffle oil. Seal in the foil and bake for an hour at 180c or until a knife easily goes in. Carve into slices and serve with the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Here's my roast veg mix of choice. Lovely complimentary flavours.....

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/roast-vegetable-megamix/#Eo5bvQMXsk0fWuK7.97

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Any ideas for a starter? I made fish cakes last year and they went down well, but I'm looking for something a bit different this year. Needs to be something light and fresh before the copious amounts of Turkey, goose AND ham that follow. (We don't cook for almost a week after!)

I'm not cooking anything else, so time constraints or simplicity aren't really a factor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

We aren't doing Xmas this year but for dinner on the day I'm planning on doing a rib steak on the bone maybe with some baked garlic mushrooms on the side or something.

Really looking forward to it, something simple and delicious, that I don't often have.

Usually have regular rib eye or striploin, rarely ever rib on the bone. Must order it in the butchers this week.

Need to get a nice bottle of red wine to have with it.

Got this recently in Supervalu, its unbelievable, must pick up another bottle if they've more in stock.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=1320986000

I see Aldi have some wines in, anyone know what they are like? Was thinking of picking up one or two...

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/wines-fizz/products-detail-page/ps/p/exquisite-collection-ribera-del-duero/

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/wines-fizz/products-detail-page/ps/p/exquisite-collection-valpolicella-ripasso-superior/

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/wines-fizz/products-detail-page/ps/p/exquisite-collection-rioja-reserva/

If anyone has any recommendations for a really nice, rich, full bodied heavy red wine I'd really love to hear them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm going to try Lily Higgins' sprouts recipe from the Irish Times to go with our beef wellington on Xmas day... recipe below.

Balsamic roast brussels sprouts
    • 500g sprouts
    • 100g grapes
    • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tbsp honey
    • 200g pecan nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
    Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the sprouts, grapes, vinegar and oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper then gently mix. Tip onto a roasting tray and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes till the grapes are soft and almost bursting and the sprouts are nicely golden in places. Drizzle over the honey and toss to coat everything. Place on a serving platter and scatter with the pecan nuts, serve immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Any ideas for a starter? I made fish cakes last year and they went down well, but I'm looking for something a bit different this year. Needs to be something light and fresh before the copious amounts of Turkey, goose AND ham that follow. (We don't cook for almost a week after!)

I'm not cooking anything else, so time constraints or simplicity aren't really a factor. :)

Stick to fish is my advice, especially if your guests like fish:

this is such a simple recipe- i've tried it myself- my recommendation is add a smidgin of fresh chilli (if that's to your taste)- and/or smoked paprika -

For a variation on this, instead of asparagus, sprinkle broken roasted pistachio nuts in between - don't be afraid also, to add more fish and less of the cream cheese - i thought Mary's recipe was a little bland so need to adapt a little- but it's so simple and will get the praise on the day- serve with a simple salad -and of course, can be done the day before which is all important :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

snor wrote: »
    Any tips on how to do nice roast veg please? Thanks in Advance.

@Masala- your name reminds me of Marsala, a fortified wine, which is appropriate for this recipe, namely Sherry.

Saturday Kitchen raved about this approach for parsnips:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastpheasantwithshe_87548

Advertisement