Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Dinner 2015 Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

We aren't doing Xmas this year but for dinner on the day I'm planning on doing a rib steak on the bone maybe with some baked garlic mushrooms on the side or something.

Really looking forward to it, something simple and delicious, that I don't often have.

Usually have regular rib eye or striploin, rarely ever rib on the bone. Must order it in the butchers this week.

)

My advice is order it ASAP- rib of beef on bone is an unusual order for Christmas and in short supply, depending on your butcher.
    What sort of weight/rib count are you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We aren't doing Xmas this year but for dinner on the day I'm planning on doing a rib steak on the bone maybe with some baked garlic mushrooms on the side or something.

Really looking forward to it, something simple and delicious, that I don't often have.

Usually have regular rib eye or striploin, rarely ever rib on the bone. Must order it in the butchers this week.

Need to get a nice bottle of red wine to have with it.

Got this recently in Supervalu, its unbelievable, must pick up another bottle if they've more in stock.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=1320986000

I see Aldi have some wines in, anyone know what they are like? Was thinking of picking up one or two...

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/wines-fizz/products-detail-page/ps/p/exquisite-collection-ribera-del-duero/

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/wines-fizz/products-detail-page/ps/p/exquisite-collection-valpolicella-ripasso-superior/

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/wines-fizz/products-detail-page/ps/p/exquisite-collection-rioja-reserva/

If anyone has any recommendations for a really nice, rich, full bodied heavy red wine I'd really love to hear them :)

I've had that the Ripasso from
    Aldi and it is excellent! They also do a fabulous Amorone which is 18.99 but well priced for the quality.

I've recently also had this one from O'briens which is very good!

https://www.obrienswine.ie/luna-argenta.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

My advice is order it ASAP- rib of beef on bone is an unusual order for Christmas and in short supply, depending on your butcher.
    What sort of weight/rib count are you going for?
    I'll be ordering it tomorrow, should be okay, hopefully.

No idea on size etc. Just one rib is all.

When I do get one, its about €13-€15 usually.

I'll be ordering it tomorrow, should be okay, hopefully.

No idea on size etc. Just one rib is all.

When I do get one, its about €13-€15 usually.

probably about 800 grams - enough for 2 hungry people or 3 if starters is served- if you've access to a BBQ, gas or coal, blast it both sides with pre-heated oven on high for about 5 mins each side (making sure you bring to room temp first and cut any sinew so it doesn't "curl up" and don't open oven except for turning the roast ), then rest in a conventional oven on an oven-proof dish @ pre-heated to 180 for 10 mins max, then rest again outside of oven on a plate before cutting - that will give you a lovely medium roast- slice and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

probably about 800 grams - enough for 2 hungry people or 3 if starters is served- if you've access to a BBQ, gas or coal, blast it both sides with pre-heated oven on high for about 5 mins each side (making sure you bring to room temp first and cut any sinew so it doesn't "curl up" and don't open oven except for turning the roast ), then rest in a conventional oven on an oven-proof dish @ pre-heated to 180 for 10 mins max, then rest again outside of oven on a plate before cutting - that will give you a lovely medium roast- slice and serve.
    Thanks for your advice, I'm not doing roast beef though, its an actual steak with the bone in.

I normally just do it on the pan for a few minutes so its medium-rare. :)

Next time I do roast beef though I will definitely follow your advice, I've no BBQ unfortunately, but do have an oven (:P) so will use that. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice, I'm not doing roast beef though, its an actual steak with the bone in.

I normally just do it on the pan for a few minutes so its medium-rare. :)

Next time I do roast beef though I will definitely follow your advice, I've no BBQ unfortunately, but do have an oven (:P) so will use that. :)

It's rib-eye, on the bone- whether large steak format or roast, doesn't matter- its the same cut of beef. :)

15 Euro would get approx 750-900 grams (i.e. 1 rib) - so yes, a very large steak- suitable for 2 people. Cooking times reduced of course if rare preferred- no need for oven resting- just rest after searing on BBQ- you can do the same on v hot grill pan but don't half make a smoke :D- enjoy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Masala wrote: »
    Guys... Looking for ideas for the Xmas Dinner VEGETABLES only

Have done the roasted carrots , parsnips and onions for a few years now and they just taste 'alright'

So looking for new ideas that would liven up the plate

What do you do for veg on XMas Day???

I love Christmas Day veg. For the past 20 years we've been doing pretty much the same: Delia Smith's Parmesan roasted parsnips, glazed carrots and Brussels sprouts which are thinly sliced, and sautéed before being generously sprinkled with toasted pine nuts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Right so here's my plan, any critique welcome.

Firstly the sides
    Roast potatoes, and roast carrots and parsnips done in advance.
    On the day: Stir fried sprouts with pancetta.

The night before: Giant ham into the slow cooker with coke. Rib of beef roast in the oven to be warmed next day.

On the day: Turkey, and goose in the oven, have happily done it before as we've a big enough oven.

Planning on cooking enough meat that that will keep people going for a few days, with a spag bol, stew, and shepherds pie, and a nice veg soup as other alternatives if people get fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I'm cooking a turkey (first time) using a recipe from the Irish Times a few weeks ago.

Key point is the legs are boned and then stuffed, wrapped in foil and put in with the turkey 40 mins after the crown.

I've ordered my turkey with legs boned and will stuff them christmas eve. Its going to be a small turkey (c. 9lbs)

I have 2 concerns and 1 question
    1. Will the legs be fully cooked. Total cook time for the Turkey (per the recipe) will be 140mins, i.e. 100 mins for the legs). Given the small size - should i put legs in a bit earlier.
    2. Will the legs brown if wrapped in foil for the full oven time.
    3. Would stuffing the crown substantially increase cooking time?

thanks

okedoke wrote: »
    I'm cooking a turkey (first time) using a recipe from the Irish Times a few weeks ago.

Key point is the legs are boned and then stuffed, wrapped in foil and put in with the turkey 40 mins after the crown.

I've ordered my turkey with legs boned and will stuff them christmas eve. Its going to be a small turkey (c. 9lbs)

I have 2 concerns and 1 question
    1. Will the legs be fully cooked. Total cook time for the Turkey (per the recipe) will be 140mins, i.e. 100 mins for the legs). Given the small size - should i put legs in a bit earlier.
    2. Will the legs brown if wrapped in foil for the full oven time.
    3. Would stuffing the crown substantially increase cooking time?

thanks

Short answer:

1. Check boned and rolled cooking times- you'll get them on the Google machine-weigh total meat/stuffing roll to determine cooking time from that- make sure you've room on same shelf as turkey; if lower rack in oven will take longer.

2. Does it matter if legs brown? You won't be eating the skin. What you want is moist cooked meat- the legs will brown a little but it's not really key here.

3. Stuffing crown too much can slow down cooking time- an empty cavity means hot air circulates cooking the bird- many cook stuffing separately these days- add some cooked turkey juices to the cooked stuffing at the end- no one will notice the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Short answer:

1. Check boned and rolled cooking times- you'll get them on the Google machine-weigh total meat/stuffing roll to determine cooking time from that- make sure you've room on same shelf as turkey; if lower rack in oven will take longer.

2. Does it matter if legs brown? You won't be eating the skin. What you want is moist cooked meat- the legs will brown a little but it's not really key here.

3. Stuffing crown too much can slow down cooking time- an empty cavity means hot air circulates cooking the bird- many cook stuffing separately these days- add some cooked turkey juices to the cooked stuffing at the end- no one will notice the difference

Thanks - sounds sensible, but why wouldn't you eat the skin from the legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You don't need to take the skin off.

Follow this guys instructions. You can change the stuffing recipe to your liking but I've done this for a couple of years now and it's really good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGTy5QKj-bc

It's not really like chicken- it can be very tough to eat. Keep skin on while cooking but peal away skin to reveal moist meat underneath.

Stheno wrote: »
    Right so here's my plan, any critique welcome.

Firstly the sides
    On the day: Stir fried sprouts with pancetta.

The night before: Giant ham into the slow cooker with coke. Rib of beef roast in the oven to be warmed next day.

On the day: Turkey, and goose in the oven, have happily done it before as we've a big enough oven.

Planning on cooking enough meat that that will keep people going for a few days, with a spag bol, stew, and shepherds pie, and a nice veg soup as other alternatives if people get fed up.

No critique from me- what times dinner?:D
    As an alternative to shepherds pie, how about Guinness stew- when cooked, place it in individual oven proof bowls, place some puff pastry on to of the bowl, glaze, cut a small hole to allow steam to escape, and into the oven to bake the pastry?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you go to the trouble of taking the legs off, boning, stuffing and rolling them, you'll never roast a whole turkey again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

how do you do roast veg in advance? Do you do a second roast before serving?

No hams or herbs in our local Aldi in East Wall. They've disconnected their HQ customer service number. Looks like it could be a big problem. Preperations delayed by a day. Not happy at all! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It annoys me that regular ham fillets seem to 'disappear' in the run up to Christmas so you can only get the larger, more expensive joints. I usually buy mine in November & bung it in the freezer. Not a lot of help to you now. I hope you get one.

It annoys me that regular ham fillets seem to 'disappear' in the run up to Christmas so you can only get the larger, more expensive joints. I usually buy mine in November & bung it in the freezer. Not a lot of help to you now. I hope you get one.

They had a couple of the regular ham fillets but I was looking for a bigger beast.......

I hate when Christmas falls on a Friday- so little time to prepare throughout the normal working week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Seem to be around the 3kg mark in Super Valu...I mean, really. Maybe if you've a large crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

My first year making a ham with dinner, I was just going to par boil it and then put it in the oven but now I'm thinking I should attempt something more exciting!
    Any easy tips for the perfect ham? We are having the normal traditional dinner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do you glaze and bake it with honey and cloves, or anything like that?

My first year making a ham with dinner, I was just going to par boil it and then put it in the oven but now I'm thinking I should attempt something more exciting!

Cook it in cider (simmer on hob)- finish it off (bake) in oven covered in mustard and maple syrup for about 40 mins

Do you glaze and bake it with honey and cloves, or anything like that?

I usually do a honey and mustard glaze if I'm having ham during the year but I don't think it would taste right with gravy and Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

1 or 2 cinnamon sticks, a few bay leaves, 1 star anise and a fist full of whole peppercorns in water when you boil the ham. Really adds a nice flavour to the ham but go easy on the star anise - one is plenty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I hate when Christmas falls on a Friday- so little time to prepare throughout the normal working week.

I've decided that the best day for Christmas is a Tuesday. That way you get the weekend and the Monday to prepare for the big day (or go out, see people, etc). The next Tuesday Christmas is 2018!

They are both lovely sounding recipes so I'll let himself choose!
    Thanks a million.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No critique from me- what times dinner?:D
    As an alternative to shepherds pie, how about Guinness stew- when cooked, place it in individual oven proof bowls, place some puff pastry on to of the bowl, glaze, cut a small hole to allow steam to escape, and into the oven to bake the pastry?

Hah! Great idea, however, I live in a world where my OHs daughter is highly intolerant to (amongst others), eggs, dairy, gluten, spelt, soya, orange, and peppers!

No pastry of any kind allowed, over the years I've adapted many recipes to her needs.

Did the BIG shop today, now have a lovely stew with paprika, carrots, parsnip spuds, and beef in the slow cooker, have a lovely soup simmering away on the cooker, and the roast veg are done :) Cranberry sauce is also done :) and it looks delicious!

Slight change of plan, the children are over Thursday evening, so I'm going to slow cook the ham in coke tomorrow, then finish in the oven, and we've two options for Xmas Eve, a tapas type thing with cheese, ham and chorizo, parma etc, with olives and pickles, or steak.
    BailMeOut wrote: »
    how do you do roast veg in advance? Do you do a second roast before serving?

There's a BBC programme that looks at people's spending habits around food, and last week they did a special one on Christmas to see how they could help save money.

They cooked the roast veg in advance, froze them, then defrosted them and heated them up on the day, same with roastie potatoes, am doing the same with those :)

Given the personal preferences in this house, I'll be cooking both a turkey and a goose for dinner, so anything I can do in advance I welcome :)

Ah, as the song says, it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas :D

• Advertisement

Slight change of plan, the children are over Thursday evening, so I'm going to slow cook the ham in coke tomorrow, then finish in the oven, and we've two options for Xmas Eve, a tapas type thing with cheese, ham and chorizo, parma etc, with olives and pickles, or steak.

D
    Check out Mary Berrys beef in filo pastry and creamed horseradish sauce- great tapas (sorry, I know, pastry again- only thought of that after spending ages deleting 1/2 your post:o

Advertisement